closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The English Cricket Summer 2018 Thread

Curran is a 'find' as it were. He's young and hungry and skilled. I agree India will take it but at least we tried a bit, which is not how it looked earlier.

Excellent. I'm mildly surprised to be honest. Kohli was very impressive, wholly professional in the way he played. But we won. 🐸

Craftsman
    Yes most impressive, I thought India just had the edge at start of play. Glad I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Excellent. I'm mildly surprised to be honest. Kohli was very impressive, wholly professional in the way he played. But we won. 
    Exactly. England's 1000th Test Match, and apart from Ashes Tests, I can't remember a more enthralling match. Well done, England!
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

A real nail biter, but we won!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Ollie Pope called up to replace Malan for Lord's:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45075720

And Chris Woakes replaces Ben Stokes, who is otherwise engaged.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

The English Cricket Summer 2018 Thread

Twenty twenty Gloucestershire vs Kent in 10 minutes
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 6th August 2018 at 09:46.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Been with no internet for past 3 odd days and just reading about what happened. Need to digest it but seems I missed an incredible match! First thought is Stokes will be missed next Test.

Master
    Took my son to day two of the test, it was an enthralling day's play (if slightly disappointing in the end for England). I think letting Kohli off the hook twice could be a huge mistake as I think he now feels he has got to grips with how to play English conditions, a shame as Jimmy had him I felt early on and if the first drop had been taken his confidence would have remained low.

Anyway, it was a great win for England and if Sam Curran can keep on like that he is a star for the future.

As an aside my son plays for the local under 11s team, at that age you have to retire at 25, he finished the season 183 not out! Very proud as he faced county standard players and made it look easy.

^
    Retire at 25?

Let someone else play when you score a quarter century.

Ah. That's how we used to play when I umpired my school's cricket. A long time ago.

^
    Retire at 25?

Under 15's retire at 50, but only in the 40 over matches.

Nice to see Pope getting his chance to shine. .

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Root's team talk this morning : "Right lads, the plan is to win the toss and bowl"

The covers have been on all day. If it clears up any time soon there may be the prospect of an hour or so's play this evening, but reports on TMS indicate that it's rather gloomy in St John's Wood. The only thing gloomier is the news coming out of Bristol Crown Court, where the prospects for Ben Stokes don't look too bright at all. Sky have been playing highlights of the first Test, which only confirm how much England will miss him if he's convicted.

On the bright side my tickets for Day 2 of the fourth Test of the series at the Ageas Bowl arrived today!

Wow. No rain after a while and India collapsed. 107 all out. Ten wickets in the day, Anderson with five. Now we wait to see what they can do to us tomorrow.

We're still reliant on the weather gods to have a chance of winning.
    -
    For donkeys years it always seemed to be the middle order that let England down, but lately we can't seem to find a steady top order to give us a good start.

The gods were on our side. Woakes was excellent. Won in three days.

We're still reliant on the weather gods to have a chance of winning.
    -
    For donkeys years it always seemed to be the middle order that let England down, but lately we can't seem to find a steady top order to give us a good start.
    Just imagine how good we could be with a decent top order!

Anyway, that was a convincing win against an unconvincing side. Yes, the weather helped, but the team still has to deliver. England's bowlers were magnificent, India's batsmen were woeful - they rely on batting around Kohli, and he's suffering with his back.

Looking at this match, it's hard to believe that India are currently ranked no1 by the ICC. They've had a bit of a shocker, and it's going to take a lot of confidence-building over the next six days if they're going to stand a chance at Trent Bridge, where England usually bowl well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Root's team talk this morning : "Right lads, the plan is to win the toss and bowl"
    Glad that the plan went to plan! 😉

I wonder if Stokes will be back playing for England again or perhaps bricklaying is his future career. Really annoying of him to let us down.

I wonder if Stokes will be back playing for England again or perhaps bricklaying is his future career. Really annoying of him to let us down.
    Well he's cleared now, though the ECB have their own disciplinary to go through. Hopefully it can all be put behind and he can get back to actual cricket finally.

But how are they going to be able to fit Stokes and Woakes into the same team for Trent Bridge? Drop Rashid and go with 5 seamers?

Not sure he has let "us" down. He has however let himself, his family and team mates down.

But lets face it, lots of people manage to do at least once in a life time. Hopefully he has leant his lesson and will not be repeated. A bit like Beefy back in the day.

Moving on

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    But how are they going to be able to fit Stokes and Woakes into the same team for Trent Bridge? Drop Rashid and go with 5 seamers?

If its a spin pitch then it's unlikely to be Rashid. Perhaps Curran or maybe Broad.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    If its a spin pitch then it's unlikely to be Rashid. Perhaps Curran or maybe Broad.
    Rest Broad? At Trent Bridge? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post

Unlikely, but a possibility. I cannot imagine Anderson or Woakes being dropped given their Lords performances plus I imagine Root will want a spinner in the team (just in case).

Hence it will be Curran or Board in order to bring Stokes back.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Unlikely, but a possibility. I cannot imagine Anderson or Woakes being dropped given their Lords performances plus I imagine Root will want a spinner in the team (just in case).

Hence it will be Curran or Board in order to bring Stokes back.

Broad (not Board, note), took four wickets in a session on the final day at Lord's.

Trent Bridge is his home ground, and is seamer-friendly.

In 2015 Stuart Broad took 8 - 15 at Trent Bridge in the first innings of an Ashes Test.

Rashid looks like a spare dinner at a Chinese wedding at the moment. He hasn't been called upon to bowl, he's not exactly a batsman, and he's a liability in the field.

He’ll be wanting Hamilton to play next.

Rashid looks like a spare dinner at a Chinese wedding at the moment. He hasn't been called upon to bowl, he's not exactly a batsman, and he's a liability in the field.
    Don't sit on the fence like that, tell us what you really think of him

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Don't sit on the fence like that, tell us what you really think of him
    I'm unconvinced about Rashid - does it show?

For some reason, there seems to be a conviction that any team at international level must include a "mystery spinner". Which is, of course, absolute nonsense.

Right now, England can field five devastatingly effective seamers, so why not? I don't recall the great West Indian side of the 1970's having a "mystery spinner", instead they had a pace attack that put the fear of God into their opposition, and while England's pace attack doesn't have anybody to compare with Joel Garner or Michael Holding, in English conditions and with the Duke ball we have bowlers who can make the ball move through the air at 85mph+.

All we need is an opening partnership.

My team for Trent Bridge:

Cook
    Jennings
    Root
    Pope
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Woakes
    Curran
    Broad
    Anderson?/Moeen Ali

It could be a chance to rest Anderson, who had a shoulder problem before the series started, and bring Moeen in in case a spinner is required, and to bolster the batting.

At this stage, given England's clear superiority, dropping either Pope or Curran seems counter-productive, and is unlikely to help them develop. Buttler needs to play himself into form with the bat - we all know what he's capable of in limited-over cricket, but he needs to develop as a Test batsman. There's an Ashes series next year, after all. The same applies to Jennings.

Anybody else have any suggestions?

Craftsman
    I'm unconvinced about Rashid - does it show?

For some reason, there seems to be a conviction that any team at international level must include a "mystery spinner". Which is, of course, absolute nonsense.

Right now, England can field five devastatingly effective seamers, so why not? I don't recall the great West Indian side of the 1970's having a "mystery spinner", instead they had a pace attack that put the fear of God into their opposition, and while England's pace attack doesn't have anybody to compare with Joel Garner or Michael Holding, in English conditions and with the Duke ball we have bowlers who can make the ball move through the air at 85mph+.

All we need is an opening partnership.

My team for Trent Bridge:

Cook
    Jennings
    Root
    Pope
    Bairstow
    Buttler
    Stokes
    Woakes
    Curran
    Broad
    Anderson?/Moeen Ali

It could be a chance to rest Anderson, who had a shoulder problem before the series started, and bring Moeen in in case a spinner is required, and to bolster the batting.

At this stage, given England's clear superiority, dropping either Pope or Curran seems counter-productive, and is unlikely to help them develop. Buttler needs to play himself into form with the bat - we all know what he's capable of in limited-over cricket, but he needs to develop as a Test batsman. There's an Ashes series next year, after all. The same applies to Jennings.

Anybody else have any suggestions?
    I’d agree with that; only question would be if they wanted to rest one of the front line bowlers. However both Jimmy & Broad have great records at Trent Bridge- so maybe go balls out to win the series here and then ring the changes for the fourth test?

I don’t know enough. I watched my first 20-20 county cricket 2 weeks ago as my daughter has started playing at school.

I don’t know enough. I watched my first 20-20 county cricket 2 weeks ago as my daughter has started playing at school.
    Good for her! Women's cricket is rightly becoming more popular, and the ECB are making a lot of effort at getting girls involved. If she enjoys it, you might be able to find a local club which has teams for girls.

Did you enjoy the T20?

Very much so. Gloucestershire played Kent and won. But it was nicely paced, good ball skills and if you add the sort of weather we had early August it was ideal to discover the game. Now she wants to go at Lords

Very much so. Gloucestershire played Kent and won. But it was nicely paced, good ball skills and if you add the sort of weather we had early August it was ideal to discover the game. Now she wants to go at Lords
    I ended up with a corporate freebie ticket to go there, W.Indies were playing against England and, despite not having any knowledge of cricket, I thought I'd go along for the experience. Big mistake: I was surrounded by very knowledgeable enthusiasts and it became quickly apparent that I was an ignoramus who had taken a seat that should have been for a devoted supporter.

I slunk off at half-time.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

My daughter will be my excuse. Surely they will welcome an enthusiastic- if not quite knowledgeable yet- young practitioner

Broad (not Board, note), took four wickets in a session on the final day at Lord's.

Trent Bridge is his home ground, and is seamer-friendly.

In 2015 Stuart Broad took 8 - 15 at Trent Bridge in the first innings of an Ashes Test.

Stokes will not play according to the BBC so I imagine the team will be unchanged.

As for Broad, yes he did take 4 wkts on the last day, but how many did he take in the first innings . His performance in 2015 it was truely great, but it was 3 years ago.

All will be revealed, but England are playing quite well and India are truely awful. Long may it continue.

Friedrich Nietzsche

He’ll be wanting Hamilton to play next.

Oh wow!

Friedrich Nietzsche

The English Cricket Summer 2018 Thread

I don’t think they will play Stokes at Trent Bridge so I think team stays the same.

But at the Ageas they could go with the following if Jennings does not get runs.

Bairstow
    Cook
    Root
    Pope
    Stokes
    Butler
    Woakes
    Curren
    Broad
    Rashid
    Anderson

Or they could play Ali, no reason to not have 5 seamers plus a Spinner. Bairstow opens in one days and was talked about as an option before, also Hales was rumoured to be in with a chance when all the court stuff was finished too.

They want a squad of 20 for the tests next year.

Stokes will not play according to the BBC so I imagine the team will be unchanged.
    Have you got a link to that, please?

Because every BBC report that I’ve read over the last couple of days says that he is in the squad for Trent Bridge.

Have you got a link to that, please?Because every BBC report that I’ve read over the last couple of days says that he is in the squad for Trent Bridge.
    sorry cannot find it now, it was a pop-up, but said the he would rejoin the squad, but won't not play partly because of the pending ECC disciplinary board.

But the BBC has been wrong in the past and it might have been a "quote from an unnamed source".
    Last edited by Andyg; 15th August 2018 at 19:08.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post

Bairstow opens in one days and was talked about as an option before.

It’s a big ask to open the batting at Test level as well as keeping wicket.
    I know that Alec Stewart managed it a few years ago but even so.....

And I think Bairstow’s style is ideal in the mid- order. You could even argue he is already batting one place too high up the order.

Business may be booming for Stokes' QC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-45201916

Team announced for the Third Test, which starts on Saturday at Trent Bridge:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45221068

Seems hard on Curran, but the circumstances dictate that England need to close out the series at the earliest opportunity, so there we are.

Craftsman
    Really harsh on Curran. Match-winning in First Test and gives a nice left arm option.

Far, far too harsh on such a young, quality player.

I hope that it doesn’t effect his mentality and confidence too much. But, in his shoes, I’d be seriously hacked off (and feeling betrayed) by my captain, coach and the ECB.

Rashid or Buttler instead of a genuine match winner? Ridiculous.

Far, far too harsh on such a young, quality player.

I hope that it doesn’t effect his mentality and confidence too much. But, in his shoes, I’d be seriously hacked off (and feeling betrayed) by my captain, coach and the ECB.

Rashid or Buttler instead of a genuine match winner? Ridiculous.
    Really poor decision for me, hope they have said he will be back for the next test.

It's a shame for Curran, but he is 20 years old and will be making way for a seasoned Test Match Player. There is no shame, plus I imagine he is looking at the long games and also knows that bitching and whinging will not help the team - of which he is a member.

Stokes is box office - Curran just is a support player (at the moment).

Friedrich Nietzsche

Stokes has ultimately let himself down and let the team down for the Ashes series and the recent 2nd Test.

So let's reward him...