closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The English Cricket Summer 2018 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    You are right this is a superb England team and all bases appeared to be covered and without the added Stokes factor!Looking forward to the India series and kudos to the ECB for all the excellent inner city cricketing initiatives being put in place really good incentives that try to cover the costs of coaching and equipment if only the FA were this proactive.
    I wouldn't go so far as praising the ECB - look at the super over debacle and the state of country cricket which is shoved off into the crappy parts of the season. Many issues they're clueless about.

Second highest T20 score and Jos hits the fastest British T20 50.....all this with Bairstow coming in at 6!?!!!?!

Belter of a pitch, should be enough....

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Second highest T20 score and Jos hits the fastest British T20 50.....all this with Bairstow coming in at 6!?!!!?!

Belter of a pitch, should be enough....
    We were lucky to get Finch out. He could have beaten us by himself, or so it looked at one point. Excellent win. Seeing Oz go home well-beaten is a good sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    We were lucky to get Finch out. He could have beaten us by himself, or so it looked at one point. Excellent win. Seeing Oz go home well-beaten is a good sight.
    Some astonishing hitting by him - and a good bowling performance by us. Rashid has yet again been excellent.

We're trying to solve a spinner problem in the Tests and we have a good wrist spinner in our country we just won't play. If we bowl him as an attacking spinner I think he can perform at Test level, plus he's matured massively which is only normal for a wrist bowler.

Now the proper test of India in the T20 and ODIs.... both should be belters.

I was at the Ageas Bowl when Finch announced himself in International T20's by putting Steven Finn into the stands with the first ball of the match and going on to score 156.

He's good, but he's no better than Buttler or Hales, and he has the pressure of captaincy and the knowledge that he's having to carry a very average side weighing him down.

There was the odd remark on Sky yesterday about the World Cup and Ashes in 2019 which alluded to the return of Smith and Warner, which will be interesting - firstly, will Cricket Australia want to risk bringing them back, and will the players themselves be mentally capable of making a comeback?

Do Australia want to be seen to do the right thing and put their faith and reputation in the hands of Justin Langer and the new players who have been brought into the side in an effort to close off the previous era and move forward, or will they take a step back into the "win at all costs" mentality?

The sandpaper scandal fallout does seem to have been effectively limited by Cricket Australia, and while the prime offenders have been dealt with, there were others involved - the bowlers must have known what was going on. None of the Australian quicks, for example, can honestly say that they weren't surprised when they suddenly found that they could hoop the ball around like Wasim Akram. The rot went deeper than the few public executions and blubbering apologies that we were treated to in the aftermath, but CA have made a decent effort to accept responsibility and show that they're putting their house in order. Bringing Smith and Warner back would be a mistake.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

(Talented) Gum chewing fat knacker!

Root in at No.5? Surely Bairstow.

Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    (Talented) Gum chewing fat knacker!

Root in at No.5? Surely Bairstow.
    For the T20 side at least I'd sacrifice Root as soon as Stokes is fit. Maybe not the ODI side, where we sometimes need a batsman to dig in, play the anchor role and let everybody else bat around him, but T20, at least for the top order is about aggression from the first ball.

I must admit that I was disappointed to see Root (and Morgan) in before Bairstow. Even more so when Bairstow cracked his first ball for six.

Anyway, another good result against the old enemy. Let's see what we can do against India.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I was at the Ageas Bowl when Finch announced himself in International T20's by putting Steven Finn into the stands with the first ball of the match and going on to score 156.

He's good, but he's no better than Buttler or Hales, and he has the pressure of captaincy and the knowledge that he's having to carry a very average side weighing him down.

There was the odd remark on Sky yesterday about the World Cup and Ashes in 2019 which alluded to the return of Smith and Warner, which will be interesting - firstly, will Cricket Australia want to risk bringing them back, and will the players themselves be mentally capable of making a comeback?

Do Australia want to be seen to do the right thing and put their faith and reputation in the hands of Justin Langer and the new players who have been brought into the side in an effort to close off the previous era and move forward, or will they take a step back into the "win at all costs" mentality?

The sandpaper scandal fallout does seem to have been effectively limited by Cricket Australia, and while the prime offenders have been dealt with, there were others involved - the bowlers must have known what was going on. None of the Australian quicks, for example, can honestly say that they weren't surprised when they suddenly found that they could hoop the ball around like Wasim Akram. The rot went deeper than the few public executions and blubbering apologies that we were treated to in the aftermath, but CA have made a decent effort to accept responsibility and show that they're putting their house in order. Bringing Smith and Warner back would be a mistake.
    There's no way they'll ignore Smith when back and I wouldn't be surprised to see Warner back too although I think he's not particularly popular with the rest of the squad. If they weren't going to bring them back they'd have given them lifetime international bans.

This is no doubt a great time for England in both ODI and T20 formats Our spin twins and Liam Plunkett can bowl out and restrict any side plus the formidable batting talent at Our disposal is frightening.

When Bumble says that the two wides would matter to England you know we're in trouble again.

Jos Buttler Wow talk about a purple patch!In the form of his life it only makes Me sad that He doesn't get many chances to represent My home county,Lancashire but Our loss is England's gain.Let's hope He carries this form throughout the Summer in all formats.

The first televised T20 of the season was a bit turgid, despite being a repeat of last year's final, but if nothing else it showed that Ian Bell has lost none of his ability to play spin and hit creamy cover drives.

Does anybody else think that he was cast out into the wilderness too early by England? Just imagine an England top order consisting of Alastair Cook, Alex Hales, Ian Bell, Joe Root....

On the good news front, Angry Ginger all-rounder Ben Stokes will play for Durham in their opening T20 match shortly, though he won't bowl, but he has been named in the England ODI squad to play India after the T20's, so here's hoping that he's fully fit for the subsequent Test series.

Angry Ginger all-rounder Ben Stokes
    I think the true Angry Ranga in the team is Bairstow.

Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post
    I think the true Angry Ranga in the team is Bairstow.

I'm not sure. I think Bairstow is relatively well-adjusted.

I watched the T20 between Middlesex and Surrey last evening. If you want angry and ginger in the same package, look no further than Gareth Batty.

The second game for England against India is this evening. I don't think that we can win a T20 game against India, simply because so much of their focus revolves around the IPL these days. We're ranked top in ODI's, so the three matches which follow the T20's could be close, the there's the Test series, and India are ranked no1 Test side by the ICC. We have a challenging couple of months ahead, which won't do any harm.

Well that was character-building! Glad to admit that I was wrong, and we can win a T20 game against India.

It's a shame that the decider on Sunday clashes with the Grand Prix!

And Root, out for 8, again. When did he last make a decent score? He did take a great catch but that not why he's on the team.

And Root, out for 8, again. When did he last make a decent score? He did take a great catch but that not why he's on the team.
    I'd happily drop Root from the white ball teams once Stokes is fit. He's not scoring runs, and we're not using him as a bowling option, so he's just preventing somebody else from getting in to the team and establishing themselves in the run-up to next year's World Cup.

Another good win for the girls against New Zealand in the ODI today!

Another good win for the girls against New Zealand today.

And Geoff Boycott has had quadruple heart bypass surgery: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44786337

Get well soon, Geoffrey!

Decent win in the second ODI.

Once we got Kaldeep solved we did well.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Very good win, Root total class and held the innings together when needed.
    Good show all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Decent win in the second ODI.

Once we got Kaldeep solved we did well.
    Didn't get a chance to watch the game, but seems to be the case. Root played a brilliant innings and seems as if India thought they could just survive and blast the runs in the last 5 overs instead of keeping ahead of the run rate.

Now we can see if we can stay consistent and not implode in the next game.

Alas, again no chance of watching but got the highlights and from the text feeds and the scorecard that seems to be a mightily impressive victory . And how good Rashid was that Rashid delivery to Virat?

Surprised this wasn't a 5 ODI series - would have been more useful than playing 5 against the Aussies.

The expression on Kohli's face tells you everything you need to know about that ball from Rashid - it pitched almost in line with leg stump and clipped the top of off. Sky were making comparisons with the "Gatting ball", but then they love a bit of hyperbole.

England were much more convincing yesterday. Bowling first and chasing is their usual MO, but it's not guaranteed against India, especially when the wicket turns like that one did. India's selection was a bit of a mystery, three changes in order to give some players game time for the deciding match of a closely-fought series, with England having won convincingly at Lord's? A brave move, and one which didn't come off.

Well played, England. The next white ball cricket they'll play at home will be a warm-up for the World Cup next year.

Interestingly someone cynically mentioned how Kohli had to act stunned to cover his foolishness. Lol. It was a cracking delivery and shows hints of what the pitches may look like for the Tests.

Speaking of which, they will be much more contested and given the hot summer and the likelihood to turn I think we may lose this. Should we be considering Rashid for Tests? Clearly the best spinner in England. Also 5 Tests in 6 weeks, brutal and again shoving test match cricket into either ends of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Interestingly someone cynically mentioned how Kohli had to act stunned to cover his foolishness. Lol. It was a cracking delivery and shows hints of what the pitches may look like for the Tests.

Speaking of which, they will be much more contested and given the hot summer and the likelihood to turn I think we may lose this. Should we be considering Rashid for Tests? Clearly the best spinner in England. Also 5 Tests in 6 weeks, brutal and again shoving test match cricket into either ends of summer.
    Rashid doesn't "do" red ball cricket.

I think he got fed up with the politics, plus he did have a few bad matches and got dropped. Nearly quit the game.

I saw most of England's innings. Good solid stuff if a bit dull as entertainment. The Flashing Blade was absent for the most part. Good for Root getting to his hundred.

Loved it, a series win is a win!

Rashid was incredible and Root got a ton, so happy days.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Not into cricket myself, but Somehow I wasn’t amazed to see kids from a school playing cricket on the rocky beach of Wembury.

- - - Updated - - -

Not into cricket myself, but Somehow I wasn’t amazed to see kids from a school playing cricket on the rocky beach of Wembury.

Rashid doesn't "do" red ball cricket.
    I think he got fed up with the politics, plus he did have a few bad matches and got dropped. Nearly quit the game.

I saw most of England's innings. Good solid stuff if a bit dull as entertainment. The Flashing Blade was absent for the most part. Good for Root getting to his hundred.
    Yea the politics annoyed him. Shows how desperate our Test side looks compared to the ODI team - lacking leadership, a style, stability and in constant panic.

Anyone dare predict how the Test series will go?

Five tests: it won't be an England whitewash, certainly. I'll tentatively suggest 3:2 to us. India put in two lacklustre performances in the ODIs but I'm fairly sure their act will be together again for the Tests. England only really perform well when the game is going their way. Or so it seems sometimes. But we do bat all the way down the order. Hard choice.

Seems as if Rashid or the ECB have had a change of heart!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/44966161

He clearly is the best spinner in England regardless of format at the moment - and to beat India with summer being so dry, we need him I think. So controversial, yes but I think a good decision.

Now I wonder if the next thing Ed Smith does is make Morgan captain of the Test side

Didn't see that one coming, and I'm not sure that the Yorkshire committee saw it either.

In other news, Liam Plunkett has signed a three-year contract at Surrey. I like Plunkett, an honest, hard-working bowler who will run in all day, very much in the mould of Matthew Hoggard and Gus Fraser, although he never looks as completely knackered as Fraser used to.

Didn't see that one coming, and I'm not sure that the Yorkshire committee saw it either.

In other news, Liam Plunkett has signed a three-year contract at Surrey. I like Plunkett, an honest, hard-working bowler who will run in all day, very much in the mould of Matthew Hoggard and Gus Fraser, although he never looks as completely knackered as Fraser used to.
    I don't think Rashid really gets on with Yorkshire either - so no surprise. It's apparently a one off and from next year all players selected will need to have a red ball county contract - so I could see Rashid moving on from Yorkshire.

Plunkett could have had a better Test career - alas injuries did him no favours.

Five tests: it won't be an England whitewash, certainly. I'll tentatively suggest 3:2 to us. India put in two lacklustre performances in the ODIs but I'm fairly sure their act will be together again for the Tests. England only really perform well when the game is going their way. Or so it seems sometimes. But we do bat all the way down the order. Hard choice.
    One thing that we always used to be able to rely on was that India's fielding would be rubbish, but now, with the increasing importance of T20 and the IPL, they're much fitter, usually in the right place, and can actually catch.

It was interesting that during the limited-over matches MS Dhoni did as much, if not more, organising the field placings that the captain Virat Kohli. It's normal to see the captain and bowler jointly organising the field, but India seem to be sorting out the fielders by committee now.

Lol at Rashid - hitting back at Michael Vaughan and saying what we all think - Vaughan speaks a lot of cack as a commentator.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/44975996

One thing that we always used to be able to rely on was that India's fielding would be rubbish, but now, with the increasing importance of T20 and the IPL, they're much fitter, usually in the right place, and can actually catch.

It was interesting that during the limited-over matches MS Dhoni did as much, if not more, organising the field placings that the captain Virat Kohli. It's normal to see the captain and bowler jointly organising the field, but India seem to be sorting out the fielders by committee now.
    I watched one innings of the T20 women's cricket the other day. What was clear was the fielding was very poor far too often. From dropped catches to missed balls that went for four.

First session of the first day of the first Test, and honours just about even. England's batsmen don't exactly look comfortable yet, India's slip cordon managed to fluff a catch, and Cook was bowled by a superb delivery from Ashwin.

We're without Stokes for the next game, as he's up before the beak for the fracas in Bristol last year. Jos Buttler is now vice-captain. The bowling attack for this game has Anderson and Broad, both carrying long-term injuries, the inexperienced Sam Curran, the controversial Adil Rashid and Stokes, which may not be enough to strike fear into the Indian batsmen, while England have a strong batting lineup, so the series should be evenly poised.

Was the run out of Root as bad as it reads?

It's all gone a bit Pete Tong.

Root and Bairstow had decided that it was a two, without realising that Kohli had the ball in hand and was lining up the stumps.

If you think that's a bit soft, watch how Stokes got out!

I turned it off after that stupid run out. Life is depressing enough.

I turned it off after that stupid run out. Life is depressing enough.
    Amen brother. Another disastrous collapse when in a cracking position.

As well as the stupid run out ........... Buttler!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

It's all gone a bit Pete Tong.

Root and Bairstow had decided that it was a two, without realising that Kohli had the ball in hand and was lining up the stumps.

If you think that's a bit soft, watch how Stokes got out!
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/45046434

Root thought this was funny...

Knob!

I'm really not a fan.

That's better!

Sam Curran with three wickets in nine balls before lunch, Stokes bowling thunderbolts which swing both ways, Anderson keeping Kohli in his hutch.

England are bowling with attitude, and right now we're all over the Indian batsmen. This is turning into a very good Test.

Update: Two dropped catches off consecutive balls. We're not going to win Test matches like that.

Today was not the day to allow Kohli to get his mojo against England. He was dropped twice so clearly thought his gods were with him. They were.

Today was not the day to allow Kohli to get his mojo against England. He was dropped twice so clearly thought his gods were with him. They were.
    That was quite an innings, and has kept India in the match - the rest of the scorecard looks pretty ordinary.

Meanwhile, Cook has managed to get out to exactly the same delivery in both innings...

I'd put England marginally ahead as I would have thought that the pitch for India's 4th innings will resemble a washboard given the hot and dry weather. 300+ this innings for England and it should be their game

50 for 3. We are in for another summer of being hammered. I'd thought the teams were fairly well matched but I remain unconvinced about Root's captaincy and his batting. Yes, 80 was a good innings but he has a record of not converting excellent chances into brilliant innings. Remember Graham Thorpe? He was just the same. Get up to 60-80 and then out. And Cook. How many really good innings did he play last year internationally?

Edit: Abject humiliation.
    Last edited by Glamdring; 3rd August 2018 at 13:57.

Drop Malan.

Bring back Ian Bell.

Craftsman
    Really enjoyed Curran's innings. Delicately poised but think India will see it through comfortably if Kohli stays in.