closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The English Cricket Summer 2018 Thread

The English Cricket Summer 2018 Thread

Not sure this thread will be that inspiring or uplifting, but guess its needed to vent....

I was at Lords yesterday for Day 3 - what a load of dross! The funny thing is the crowd was quite optimistic before the second innings started before realising same old England. Props to Buttler and Bess though, they were very patient, nullified the bowling and slowly accumulated - you know playing Test cricket as it was supposed to be!

One alarming thing is our tail 9-11 is just giveaway wickets. If you look at the Pakistani tail, very telling contributions with the bat. Not expecting much from Headingly on Fri, but I feel we are more balanced with Moeen Ali in the team - though maybe he will benefit from staying away for a while. Stoneman out of course, though who comes in? Jennings? Wood was ok, but I prefer Woakes in English conditions and he is better with the bat.

Finally Joe Root is clueless as captain, lovely cricket, but not a captain. His field and bowling tactics seem very odd. I feel if this is a summer massacre he has to for sure go; Bayliss earlier if I'm honest, clearly he's had a part to play in this demise.

Once again the selectors seem to have fallen for the "make the best player Captain" fallacy despite history showing that in most cases this overloads the best player who almost inevitably loses form.

Perhaps, given time under the guidance of Ed Smith this might change.

Stoneman has become a walking wicket, and I think that Mr Smith needs to have a chat with Alex Hales and/or Jason Roy over a full Central Contract and see if they can turn themselves into Test openers. Slightly further down the order, and with an acknowledged Hampshire bias I'd replace Dawid Malan with James Vince. The middle order of Bairstow, Stokes, Buttler and probably Moeen can sort themselves out, they are all competent and destructive batsmen, verging on greatness in the case of Buttler.

We've struggled to replace Swanny, and I get the impression that he was a powerful positive influence on the team off the field as well as on. We have a queue of young spinners, and Dom Bess did his prospects a power of good at Lord's, so he could be worth persisting with. We don't lack much in the field, but our pace attack, specifically Anderson and Broad aren't getting any younger, so we should look to bring at least one young seamer into the team before the 2019 Ashes. It's a shame that Tymal Mills isn't able to play any long form of the game as some 95mph chin music would give the inmates of HMP Australia something to think about. Jofra Archer, maybe? Mark Wood bowled well at Lord's but there's always a question mark over his fitness.

One more thing - why can't England win in London? We usually have two Tests each year at Lord's, and because of the slope it's a unique ground, but we can't seem to win there, or at the Oval, and in an Ashes series that could easily mean 2-0 to Australia in a five-match series.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

I'd appoint Ben Stokes as Captain. We need an angry ginger bloke as skipper, he'd be a great choice.

Nobody's going to argue with him, are they?
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

'England have got to be smarter' - Root

Hasn't he used that line already?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    It's a shame that Tymal Mills isn't able to play any long form of the game as some 95mph chin music would give the inmates of HMP Australia something to think about. Jofra Archer, maybe? Mark Wood bowled well at Lord's but there's always a question mark over his fitness.

One more thing - why can't England win in London? We usually have two Tests each year at Lord's, and because of the slope it's a unique ground, but we can't seem to win there, or at the Oval, and in an Ashes series that could easily mean 2-0 to Australia in a five-match series.
    I believe Archer isn't eligible for a few more years.

On London - not true actually. This is the first Test since 1921 that England have lost that begins and ends in May. The last time we lost in May (and that ended in June...) was I think somewhere in the mid nineties!

Pakistan also have the second best away team record at Lord's too after Australia which is probably another factor.

The Pakistan team have had fantastic preparation, the one off test against Ireland was well fought. I reckon they've had more meaningful playing time than the English players!

Seems Jennings has been bought into the squad... unsurprisingly a dearth of talent.

Oh and I agree with the above, we need an angry ginger - bairstow or stokes would do well

Just awful, an embarrassment really.

Root as captain? I dont think so
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I believe Archer isn't eligible for a few more years.

On London - not true actually. This is the first Test since 1921 that England have lost that begins and ends in May. The last time we lost in May (and that ended in June...) was I think somewhere in the mid nineties!

Pakistan also have the second best away team record at Lord's too after Australia which is probably another factor.

The Pakistan team have had fantastic preparation, the one off test against Ireland was well fought. I reckon they've had more meaningful playing time than the English players!

Seems Jennings has been bought into the squad... unsurprisingly a dearth of talent.

Oh and I agree with the above, we need an angry ginger - bairstow or stokes would do well

Jennings? Hasn't he been discarded once already? And what's happened to Hameed? I know that he broke a finger and spent some time out injured, but he must be fit again by now?

England's selectors seem determined to keep trying players who have been tried before and failed, almost as though we only have half a dozen opening batsmen available. Pretty soon we're going to need another one, because Cook has been on the edge of retirement for the last couple of years.

Perhaps England's record in London isn't as bad as it seems, but you would have thought that we play so often at Lord's, and it's such a unique ground that we should be able to beat anybody there. Pakistan outplayed us in all departments, and we never looked as though we had any answers. Next up, India, who, if my memory is correct, are currently ranked at No 1 by the ICC, with England at 5 and Pakistan 7.

It's already looking like a long and largely unrewarding summer for England's supporters.

Jennings? Hasn't he been discarded once already? And what's happened to Hameed? I know that he broke a finger and spent some time out injured, but he must be fit again by now?

England's selectors seem determined to keep trying players who have been tried before and failed, almost as though we only have half a dozen opening batsmen available. Pretty soon we're going to need another one, because Cook has been on the edge of retirement for the last couple of years.

Perhaps England's record in London isn't as bad as it seems, but you would have thought that we play so often at Lord's, and it's such a unique ground that we should be able to beat anybody there. Pakistan outplayed us in all departments, and we never looked as though we had any answers. Next up, India, who, if my memory is correct, are currently ranked at No 1 by the ICC, with England at 5 and Pakistan 7.

It's already looking like a long and largely unrewarding summer for England's supporters.
    Jennings - his form has been ok so far this county season - and not many can say that in a typical swinging May. If I remember correctly he had a very clear technique flaw. He's a young lad and maybe deserves another chance at Test level.

Hameed - poor lad, his form is non existent and I think he may even have been dropped at county level. He will come good, but now is not his time.

On Lords - I believe we do pretty poorly there later in the season, no idea why. One positive thing is, Pakistan in theory are better suited to English conditions than India with superior fast bowlers but India did well in South Africa, so have confidence travelling (albeit SA inexplicably prepared a lot of dust bowls...). Plus Kholi is getting some county practice in to counter against his flaw (he is very susceptible to Anderson esque bowling), which is not good for us....

But as I stated in the beginning of the thread, a thankless summer for cricketing fans indeed awaits....

It would be great to see a young, raw fast bowler in the squad. Either George Garton or Tom Barber as they have the added bonus of being left armers as well as being 90+ mph.

If the Selectors finally find the courage to back some youth then either one could make a real impact, at least until the England bowling coaches change their actions and get them bowling a nice steady 79-81 mph line and length!
    Last edited by hhhh; 28th May 2018 at 23:16.

Jennings - his form has been ok so far this county season - and not many can say that in a typical swinging May. If I remember correctly he had a very clear technique flaw. He's a young lad and maybe deserves another chance at Test level.

Hameed - poor lad, his form is non existent and I think he may even have been dropped at county level. He will come good, but now is not his time.

On Lords - I believe we do pretty poorly there later in the season, no idea why. One positive thing is, Pakistan in theory are better suited to English conditions than India with superior fast bowlers but India did well in South Africa, so have confidence travelling (albeit SA inexplicably prepared a lot of dust bowls...). Plus Kholi is getting some county practice in to counter against his flaw (he is very susceptible to Anderson esque bowling), which is not good for us....

But as I stated in the beginning of the thread, a thankless summer for cricketing fans indeed awaits....

I don't think Kohli is coming to Surrey now - I believe he's injured.

So test cricket has been shunned for the next few months for ODIs and we're currently getting a bit walloped by the Scots.....281-3 with 9 overs remaining, will be interesting to see what they post - remember this is number 1 in the world versus number 13!

Still fancy we'll knock whatever they post off.

Blog Entries
    So test cricket has been shunned for the next few months for ODIs and we're currently getting a bit walloped by the Scots.....281-3 with 9 overs remaining, will be interesting to see what they post - remember this is number 1 in the world versus number 13!

Still fancy we'll knock whatever they post off.
    Nearly 7.5 runs an over is going to be a stern challenge for any team in an ODI, even the no.1 ranked one.

Lets hope that England can get all their big guns to fire - will be entertaining at least.

We may be in for an upset...

Master
    Oops.

I watched a fair bit of the Scots' innings and it seemed clear to me they had fire. When our bowlers didn't make an instant impact and continued not to do very well they lost interest.
    As usual England gave up. It won't be something we're allowed to forget in a long while. Bairstow was brilliant but MacCleod was better. Root got himself run out, but in turn the Scots didn't appeal an LBW and it would have been a dismissal.

Oh dear a typical England engineering their own downfall performance. Bowling was inconsequential on such a lifeless pitch it seems. Should have won this.

Now 5 ODIs with Australia, should be a good series but I will be extremely disappointing if we didn't win.

Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Oops.
    The horror!

I know I criticised James Anderson about some of His ashes comments(And rightly so)but what an outstanding and wonderful contributor He's been to English cricket when knighthoods and MBEs,other honours are handed out like confetti,He deserves to be knighted for his services to the cause of English cricket and to the superb levels of fitness,dedication He's shown to the team and his craft plus He's a fellow Lancastrian!I would urge the ECB to appoint Him England bowling coach once the time comes.I also agree Root is an excellent Batsmen but not a Captain.

Blog Entries
    The ODIs with Australia seem to be going rather well .....so far.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    The ODIs with Australia seem to be going rather well .....so far.
    Am disappointed - seems 500 is no longer on the cards. May have to settle for a new ODI world record and just beat the 444 mark

I did say I'd be surprised if we lost and the contest is proving to be non existent. The bowling from Australia has been just rubbish.

Lacking spirit certainly, but then we haven't had our go yet, and look how we bowled against Scotland.

Big mistake putting Root in.

481-6 - ridiculous really. Shame a few quick wickets meant the 500 wasn't quite reachable. Guess there is always next game

Love seeing the Australians getting smashed. Will be interesting to see how much they get in the chase.

Love seeing the Australians getting smashed.
    Not as much as me!

481-6 - ridiculous really. Shame a few quick wickets meant the 500 wasn't quite reachable. Guess there is always next game

Love seeing the Australians getting smashed. Will be interesting to see how much they get in the chase.
    I was at the Ageas Bowl when Finch scored 150+ in a T20, but 480+ in 50 overs without two of their best batsmen is possible, but it isn't feasible. They're going to walk out thinking "9.6 runs per over, every over". That would be hard enough in T20.

Sky have Ricky Ponting on commentary. He's not enjoying himself very much.

I was at the Ageas Bowl when Finch scored 150+ in a T20, but 480+ in 50 overs without two of their best batsmen is possible, but it isn't feasible. They're going to walk out thinking "9.6 runs per over, every over". That would be hard enough in T20.

Its the only way to go about it - keep the run rate in mind and don't get too far behind it. Easier said than done, but you have to give it a good chase....

They were talking about Hales making way when Stokes is fit, I hope they give Root a rest instead. If England stay injury free they have a chance next year.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    They were talking about Hales making way when Stokes is fit, I hope they give Root a rest instead. If England stay injury free they have a chance next year.
    What has Root done lately? He gets a few 50s but can't seem to convert into 100s.

I think it's a good shout - Root needs some rest.

On Root - he could learn a thing or two about leadership from Captain Morgan. As an example, I genuinely believe one reason why Ali has been so poor in the Test team is because Root is clueless as a leader and how to motivate Ali. Look at how Morgan backs Ali and Rashid, they're indispensable in the ODI team.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    What has Root done lately? He gets a few 50s but can't seem to convert into 100s.
    To be fair, they need Root when things go pear shaped at the top of the order and he stabilises the innings.
    A one day international batting average above 50 is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    To be fair, they need Root when things go pear shaped at the top of the order and he stabilises the innings.
    A one day international batting average above 50 is superb.
    He has played non stop for over 3 years a month off might do him the world of good

Craftsman
    He has played non stop for over 3 years a month off might do him the world of good
    Hadn't he had 2 months off after New Zealand tour ended in March up to Pakistan series that started in May.
    Anyway I'd continue to play him as he's class.

Fantastic, the icing on the cake.

I don't think you'll find the 'runs required' up there Timothy...

England's ladies have just set a new record T20 score with 250. Another century for Tammy Beaumont, who might find herself opening for the men's Test side at this rate.

Needless to say, they beat South Africa. Again.

A good summer for English cricket so far, with the formality of a whitewash against Australia in the ODI series to look forward to.

England's ladies have just set a new record T20 score with 250. Another century for Tammy Beaumont, who might find herself opening for the men's Test side at this rate.

A good summer for English cricket so far, with the formality of a whitewash against Australia in the ODI series to look forward to.
    Looking forward to that!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

The Professionalism of English Ladies is superb and they deserve a well earnt pay rise.I had the good fortune to meet Charlotte Edwards,a trailblazer for Ladies Cricket in this country,a very humble and lovely Lady very sad they way She was dumped out of the team but there was no hint of bitterness from Her a true class act.

Just wish the ICC World Cup was happening at this present time apart from England and India I cannot see any clear favourites.

Four wins.... One match to go. Is it time we dropped Root?

Craftsman
    Dropped him? Why?
    44 runs off his 10 overs and chipped in with a few runs when we were strolling it anyway.
    Admittedly playing like we are he could be rested, but who would you replace him with.
    We won't always be 150 for 0.

If it is between Root and Stokes, I'd take the latter. However we'd miss Root if we had a bad start and needed someone to consolidate - in a WC situation Root would be needed for insurance. Not sure how Stokes fits in then Hales is too good to be dropped.

I was cautiously optimistic for a whitewash, lets see if it can be done

This is why we need to look at Root:
    Recent matches, 2018
    Bat & Bowl Team Opposition Ground Match Date Scorecard
    0/44, 27 England v Australia Chester-le-Street 21 Jun 2018 ODI # 4012
    4*, 0/19 England v Australia Nottingham 19 Jun 2018 ODI # 4011
    22, 0/24 England v Australia Cardiff 16 Jun 2018 ODI # 4010
    0/20, 50 England v Australia The Oval 13 Jun 2018 ODI # 4009
    29 England v Scotland Edinburgh 10 Jun 2018 ODI # 4008
    0/39, 18 Yorkshire v Northants Leeds 7 Jun 2018 LA
    45 England v Pakistan Leeds 1 Jun 2018 Test # 2305
    4, 68 England v Pakistan Lord's 24 May 2018 Test # 2304
    1/27, 14, 23 Yorkshire v Surrey The Oval 11 May 2018 FC
    0, 35, 0/5 Yorkshire v Essex Chelmsford 4 May 2018 FC

5 - 0

Happy days!

A bit squeaky, though! England weren't very convincing today, but thankfully we have Jos Buttler - what a performance. A fantastic run-out, and a tremendously mature display with the bat.

We have a one-off T20 to look forward to now, on Wednesday. It's been a good ten days or so for English cricket.

A bit squeaky, though! England weren't very convincing today, but thankfully we have Jos Buttler - what a performance. A fantastic run-out, and a tremendously mature display with the bat.

We have a one-off T20 to look forward to now, on Wednesday. It's been a good ten days or so for English cricket.
    Think the boys switched off in the chase - thought it would be a walk in the park!

India will be a much stiffer odi team, that should be exciting, but in England we should win. The Tests are another thing entirely, probably India's best chance in a while to win a series in England

That last match was ridiculous!

I was ready for a stroll after Australia's poor performance but it was nip and tuck at the end. Without Buttler we'd have lost that one.

Great feeling to whitewash the Aussies though.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

Think the boys switched off in the chase - thought it would be a walk in the park!

India will be a much stiffer odi team, that should be exciting, but in England we should win. The Tests are another thing entirely, probably India's best chance in a while to win a series in England
    A common theme with England in all the years I've been watching, and one of the reasons we lost to Scotland.

A common theme with England in all the years I've been watching, and one of the reasons we lost to Scotland.
    And complacency I think cost us last yr in the champions trophy - we took that Pakistan team too lightly.

And it could also cost us next yr. It's fine to be complacent in a 5 match series but that is not an option in the world cup. Morgan has to be firmer on this as he is guilty of it himself.

I also am coming around to your idea of dropping Root - Jos did a fantastic job of anchoring. Someone will have to make way for Stokes and unfortunately it may be him.

A shout-out to the spinners - fantastic this series, if they can perform that well against India we'll easily beat them.

And complacency I think cost us last yr in the champions trophy - we took that Pakistan team too lightly.

And it could also cost us next yr. It's fine to be complacent in a 5 match series but that is not an option in the world cup. Morgan has to be firmer on this as he is guilty of it himself.

I also am coming around to your idea of dropping Root - Jos did a fantastic job of anchoring. Someone will have to make way for Stokes and unfortunately it may be him.

A shout-out to the spinners - fantastic this series, if they can perform that well against India we'll easily beat them.
    I agree with all of this. There is an argument that you need a batsman like Root to anchor the innings, and for everybody else to play around, but yesterday Jos Buttler showed how well he can play that role. And with Buttler and Stokes in the side, we have two world-class batsmen who are genuinely feared by opposition bowlers.

The Scotland game and yesterday's near catastrophe will be good for England, and should help to focus and galvanise the side in the run-up to the World Cup. Complacency is not an option.

I agree with all of this. There is an argument that you need a batsman like Root to anchor the innings, and for everybody else to play around, but yesterday Jos Buttler showed how well he can play that role. And with Buttler and Stokes in the side, we have two world-class batsmen who are genuinely feared by opposition bowlers.

The Scotland game and yesterday's near catastrophe will be good for England, and should help to focus and galvanise the side in the run-up to the World Cup. Complacency is not an option.
    What worries me though is we lose one, go on a nice run where we absolutely destroy everyone and totally forget about the last catastrophe. I can totally see that happening and us bombing out at the semi stage.

I hope the India series is competitive, a 3-2 win would be better for us to stay humble than winning 4-1/5-0

You are right this is a superb England team and all bases appeared to be covered and without the added Stokes factor!Looking forward to the India series and kudos to the ECB for all the excellent inner city cricketing initiatives being put in place really good incentives that try to cover the costs of coaching and equipment if only the FA were this proactive.