timefactors watches

Thread: St Kilda, double UNESCO World Heritage Site

St Kilda, double UNESCO World Heritage Site

It takes time to get to St Kilda.

The islands lie just over 40 miles off the coast of North Uist and are the most westernmost islands in the United Kingdom. A fast boat from Harris takes a few hours, or there's a boat from Stein, on Skye, operated by GotoStKilda. Their video - The Sketch - might give you some idea of the place. Hopefully these photos will too.
    Last edited by Broussard; 27th May 2018 at 17:43.

St Kilda is comprised of a main island - Hirta - and a few smaller ones (Boreray being the largest) as well as two sea stacks - Stac an └rmainn and Stac Lý. The cliffs of Hirta are home to many seabirds which formed the diet and livelihood of the St Kildans who lived there until the 1930s.
    Last edited by Broussard; 27th May 2018 at 17:47.

Stac Lý is home to part of the world's largest colony of northern gannet. The rock face is covered in guano and nesting birds which were gathered by the St Kildans who would land here by lassoing an iron peg, and then jumping when the swell rose up.
    Last edited by Broussard; 27th May 2018 at 17:50.

You can only get to the island via inflatable / Zodiac, as the National Trust for Scotland is concerned that boats could bring rats to the island.
    Last edited by Broussard; 27th May 2018 at 17:52.

The High Street on Hirta was home to the St Kildans who moved out of their medieval village in the 18th century. Although there are a few "modern" houses with chimneys, these were built on the foundations of the earlier "black houses", small two-room dwellings with a central fire and soot-lined walls.
    Last edited by Broussard; 27th May 2018 at 18:00.

The names of the St Kildans who inhabited each house is written on slates.
    Last edited by Broussard; 27th May 2018 at 18:01.

Small store houses, or cleits, are strewn around the village and over the island. Over 1,200 have been found on Hirta alone. They provided safe and dry storage for feather, fishing gear, hay, potatoes and salted seabird carcasses.
    Last edited by Broussard; 27th May 2018 at 18:04.

The shape of the bay is a clue to the geological history of the islands - they are volcanic. Interestingly, each of the cleits has been mapped and drawn by the Ordnance Survey.
    Last edited by Broussard; 27th May 2018 at 18:08.

Lovely photos, St Kilda is on my 'one-day' list and your photos just remind me why.

Over 250k puffins form one of the largest colonies in Europe on the island of Dun, just off Hirta.

It's not easy to get to - unless you can make friends with the contractors who are currently rebuilding the MoD base there. They have a helicopter!

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Lovely photos, St Kilda is on my 'one-day' list and your photos just remind me why.

Maybe the occasional doco is the closest I will get for a while then. How did you make the trip there?

Quote Originally Posted by mondie View Post
    Maybe the occasional doco is the closest I will get for a while then. How did you make the trip there?
    London to Inverness. Inverness to Portree. Portree round to Dunvegan for a few days, waited for the weather, then up to Stein to catch the boat. Four and a half hours each way, with about four hours on the island.

good going, those four hours must have felt pretty precious. You got lucky with the weather too.