closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garage flooring tiles

Craftsman

Garage flooring tiles

Does anyone have any first hand experience with installing garage floor tiles?

I’m specifically after the black / white ones as they look the best in my opinion but I don’t want the ones that interlock like the Duramat ones.

Am looking at covering 30sqM but don’t really want to spend more than £500max incl. ramps and side bits.

I’m planning to tile the floor of the garage my Westfield will be living in. Having taken advice (here in Malta) it appears plenty of people here use ordinary porcelain floor tiles. I guess it might be a different story if you’re planning to park a big truck on the floor or use the garage for serious mechanicing but body colour porcelain won’t show minor chips and is easily durable enough for a cosseted private car. Plus it should be frost proof which isn’t a concern for me but might be for you. I’d look at trade/commercial tiles as used in shops and other high traffic areas.

Master
    Normal floor tiles can be a PITA if you use a jack, dolly etc regularly (tile and joint size dependent obviously).

Craftsman
    Defo not going for tiles as they’re too expensive and will likely crack using jack etc...

Think rubber or PVC is the way forward as they’re durable and also easy to cut if needed.

Hi There

I have just finished my double garage

walls done in PVCU shiny white panels which looks great

floor ... i did all my research and ended up buying interlocking tiles from BigDug looks superb laid out not chequer but light outer / black under cars

heres a link

http://www.bigdug.co.uk/mats-floorin...ga-deal-p18844

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Hi There

I have just finished my double garage

walls done in PVCU shiny white panels which looks great

floor ... i did all my research and ended up buying interlocking tiles from BigDug looks superb laid out not chequer but light outer / black under cars

heres a link

http://www.bigdug.co.uk/mats-floorin...ga-deal-p18844
    Ah cool, great link thanks.

Don’t suppose you have a photo of your install at all please ?

Gav.

I’ve got some good interlocking rubber ones in my garage, stand up to the task of my home gym just fine!

Master
    I have done some

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    I’ve got some good interlocking rubber ones in my garage, stand up to the task of my home gym just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by gavsw20 View Post
    Ah cool, great link thanks.

Don’t suppose you have a photo of your install at all please ?

Gav.
    here goes some before and after few bits left to do but getting there

Craftsman
    Supa Lock Industrial (T-Joint) Interlocking floor tiles | JHS Carpets
    https://www.jhscarpets.com › range › sup...
    Have a look at these .

Quote Originally Posted by halfpasttwothirty View Post

Not much, broke my elbow wrist and scaphoid 6 months ago and bought the kit to try and get back to where I was prior, slowly getting there!

Craftsman

Hi,

Wall panels look good, what size do they come in?

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    Hi,

Wall panels look good, what size do they come in?

Thx
    Hi looked at all options before doing baton and plastic but have to say happy with finished result and wipeable surface handy

I bought 8mm thick shiny white 250mm x 2700mm

bought from here who delivered to door. but you do need to order more than you think you need in case of spoils imho or that could be just me !

http://celplas.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Shiny-White

Craftsman
    Are these rigid plastic or are they the rubber/foam ones?

I had the soft rubber/foam ones in the garage before I had a car to put in it and then, once I needed to put a car in thought "oh they'll be fine to have the car resting on". Wrong. Not only did they deform (who would have guessed a 1000kg car would do that - duh) but they also stuck to the tyres which was a complete PITA and required some careful removal. A lesson to anyone as potentially dumb as I was.

I use these people for ESD floors at work and normal PVC in my garage

https://www.ecotileflooring.com/

I'm just about to ceramic tile my garage floor, had a self leveling latex screed put in a few days ago to get the floor completely flat and the tiles are going in next week

I was going to just paint it originally then thought about the rubber/plastic type interlocking tiles but it wasn't much more to go full car showroom look

I bought these in the end, they are commercial non slip and very tough

https://www.directtilewarehouse.com/...y-floor-tiles/
    Last edited by Vanguard; 29th May 2018 at 13:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I'm just about to ceramic tile my garage floor, had a self leveling latex screed put in a few days ago to get the floor completely flat and the tiles are going in next week

I was going to just paint it originally then thought about the rubber/plastic type interlocking tiles but it wasn't much more to go full car showroom look

I bought these in the end, they are commercial non slip and very tough

https://www.directtilewarehouse.com/...y-floor-tiles/

You are a braver man than me. One dropped hammer and you might be rather miffed.

If you want a showroom finish, why not consider something like Amtico (available in either a ceramic or wood effect finish) and much more durable.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    Are these rigid plastic or are they the rubber/foam ones?

I had the soft rubber/foam ones in the garage before I had a car to put in it and then, once I needed to put a car in thought "oh they'll be fine to have the car resting on". Wrong. Not only did they deform (who would have guessed a 1000kg car would do that - duh) but they also stuck to the tyres which was a complete PITA and required some careful removal. A lesson to anyone as potentially dumb as I was.

Hi they are the 'very' hard plastic ones 5mm thick go together with rubber hammer and i used a multi tool to cut - would not advise the foam / gym floor style ones for garage

thought of ceramic tiling as we do in our commercial workshops but as others have said hard surface can crack and pain on knees if you are doing detailing etc

BigDug was best i could come up with on price & quality and speed of delivery.

Once worked in an industrial environment which had ceramic tiles. Used pallet trucks, humped 200L (metal) drums and all sorts of machinery about and the tiles were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    You are a braver man than me. One dropped hammer and you might be rather miffed.

If you want a showroom finish, why not consider something like Amtico (available in either a ceramic or wood effect finish) and much more durable.
    They use commercial ceramic floor tiles in my local Audi dealers workshop, it takes more than a dropped hammer to crack them, the clue is in the word commercial! The only thing likely to crack them is if they are not laid on a perfectly flat floor, so if you had a slight ridge and then drove a car over it the uneven distribution of weight could crack one, that's why the floor has been leveled, it's like a snooker table in there now.

They also have ceramic tiles in my local BMW motorcycle dealers and you have heavy bikes being hauled up onto their centre stands all the time which places all the bikes weight on two small metal pressure points and again the tiles are fine or they wouldn't use them.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 29th May 2018 at 13:56.

Craftsman
    i went at it differently , the garage was built with a concrete level floor and centrally heated . I bought a pallet of used commercial grade floor tiles and fitted these approx four years ago so i have in essence a heated 3 car garage thats carpeted so i can potter around in it barefoot etc . I have stripped cars down in there and done oil changes etc and if i make a bit of a mess i either lift a tile or shampoo the mark out . It cost me about £100 for the tiles and about the same in glue and been great so far

Craftsman
    I used the lock together type, for a few years before I had it painted but it didnt last and was an annual job, had them down just over 10 years

In recent years I've had to glue the front edge down and also two lines where the tyres sit as a heavy automatic car will just tear them off the floor as with a auto you are always driving the rear wheels and braking with the fronts, with an auto you can roll in , rubber tiles wont work for me at all but I have a pile that I dot around when working on the car which I do a lot

When they first went down

Nowadays , bit dirty but still good

They use commercial ceramic floor tiles in my local Audi dealers workshop, it takes more than a dropped hammer to crack them, the clue is in the word commercial! The only thing likely to crack them is if they are not laid on a perfectly flat floor, so if you had a slight ridge and then drove a car over it the uneven distribution of weight could crack one, that's why the floor has been leveled, it's like a snooker table in there now.

They also have ceramic tiles in my local BMW motorcycle dealers and you have heavy bikes being hauled up onto their centre stands all the time which places all the bikes weight on two small metal pressure points and again the tiles are fine or they wouldn't use them.

Fair enough. I imagine it good great.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    i went at it differently , the garage was built with a concrete level floor and centrally heated . I bought a pallet of used commercial grade floor tiles and fitted these approx four years ago so i have in essence a heated 3 car garage thats carpeted so i can potter around in it barefoot etc . I have stripped cars down in there and done oil changes etc and if i make a bit of a mess i either lift a tile or shampoo the mark out . It cost me about £100 for the tiles and about the same in glue and been great so far
    An insurance broker once told me that carpetingbhour garage would invalidate many house insurance policies as posed a fire risk. Might be worth double checking...

Craftsman
    We did , we had to revise everything when we extended and the value of everything went up , I’d also neglected to mention the watches like a trumpet .

Just an update, the tiling is finished in my garage, will post some better pictures if anyone is interested but here is a quick snap, going to tackle the walls next and I'm having a nice steel cabinet delivered next week to keep the car products in

The grouting looks a bit darker in places as I'd just mopped the floor

Last edited by Vanguard; 12th June 2018 at 13:51.

Just an update, the tiling is finished in my garage, will post some better pictures if anyone is interested but here is a quick snap, going to tackle the walls next and I'm having a nice steel cabinet delivered next week to keep the car products in

The grouting looks a bit darker in places as I'd just mopped the floor
    Looks nice, like that you did the tiled skirting also, it makes all the difference. I'm just building this garage and looking a self level and industrial floor paint for the floors, maybe a resin type. Will think about it. Your walls are not paint grade block by the look of them and are going to take lots and lots of coats of paint, I'd spray them to get into all the nooks and crannies as a roller and brush will take forever..

Here's mine..

Attached Images Attached Images

Just contemplating garage flooring options... didn't want to start a new thread, so here goes:

Whilst the title states tiles, I think I have a preference for paint.

1) Tiles or paint? (some kind of industrial grade epoxy resin to prevent the paint from peeling from car tyres)

2) Before putting tiles down, like in this thread, do you have to still put down self-levelling compound/screed?

3) With PVC/rubber tiles as shown in this thread, do you get that annoying squeaking sound when your car tyres move over them? Couldn't live with that...

Again, someone convince me not to go down the self-levelling screed --> epoxy resin/paint route!

I've seen the floor of a commercial lorry maintenance depot that had been done with Rezistal epoxy resin paint and it looked impressive after over a years wear. According to the depot manager the only preparation done prior to application was a good brushing, no acid-etching or primer.

I'd certainly consider it for my garage.

https://www.rizistal.co.uk

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I've seen the floor of a commercial lorry maintenance depot that had been done with Rezistal epoxy resin paint and it looked impressive after over a years wear. According to the depot manager the only preparation done prior to application was a good brushing, no acid-etching or primer.

I'd certainly consider it for my garage.

https://www.rizistal.co.uk

R
    It does look very impressive - they have some very useful YouTube videos, too. Thanks for sharing.

Master
    Interesting thread. I’ve had some form of epoxy paint on my garage floor since we moved in. Been fine for years.

Changed to MPSS tyres & im now ripping the paint off the floor after it’s stood for a few days.

No idea if paint is too old, or the tyres are just so sticky?! Lol I know it’s not the tyres but annoying all the same.

I’ve not got a big garage & if parked hard to one side can just about squeeze past, so want to do it the best I can for the lowest cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I priced it up decent epoxy resin paint was so expensive it only worked out slightly more to have the floor tiled with commercial tiles, I know what looks better and what will be more durable.

When I priced it up decent epoxy resin paint was so expensive it only worked out slightly more to have the floor tiled with commercial tiles, I know what looks better and what will be more durable.
    Interesting. How are they holding up since your install in May? (your image above has disappeared)

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Interesting. How are they holding up since your install in May? (your image above has disappeared)
    They are great, still look like new, jacked my car up numerous times on them as well to change wheels over, picture was probably on Photobucket which doesn't offer free hosting any more

Excuse the bike, only pic I have on my PC with the flooring in

Master
    Don’t apologise for such a gorgeous bike shot, plus an interesting read on floor options.

Steve

Interesting, I’ve always had someone epoxy paint my previous garage floors, and was going to do the same when I move into the new place, but if commercial tiling isn’t crazily priced I would consider it.

Roughly what would a 20ft by 20ft garage cost?
    It's just a matter of time...

The ones in the bike shot above are £13/m2. Then either budget £25/m2 for a tiller to install inc materials or another £10/m2 for adhesive and grout

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Looks like I’ll be sticking to the epoxy paint, as I think tiling would work out at around £1750 at those prices, unless my maths calcs are way out.
    It's just a matter of time...