closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steinhart Ocean One 39

Dial up over 24hrs not worn it gained 12 secs, last couple of days unworn laid on its side gained 1 Sec

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geran View Post
    I believe some of the earlier Ocean models that had 22mm lugs had no taper on the bracelet.

Even though I have a large wrist, and own many 42mm plus watches, this model just looks odd, the dial is not large I think it's the lug to lug length that make it appear larger than it is.
    I can see this being returned and exchanged for the 39mm version.

Do you think this oddness applies to most 42mm ocean one models or just this particular one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Do you think this oddness applies to most 42mm ocean one models or just this particular one ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure Mr Bond, this is the first Steinhard I have owned, it is very comparable in size to my Tudor black bay, it just appears to be on the large side, if there was no 39mm version I would just stick with the 42mm but there is only one way to find, so I ordered the smaller version as well to compare.

Master
    Not sure Mr Bond, this is the first Steinhard I have owned, it is very comparable in size to my Tudor black bay, it just appears to be on the large side, if there was no 39mm version I would just stick with the 42mm but there is only one way to find, so I ordered the smaller version as well to compare.
    This will be interesting. Irrespective of wrist size, I'm of the opinion the 39mm versions look better either in GMT variants or standard diver variants.

Master
    Ok so I managed to buy a second hand one of these today (only 3 weeks old) in the 39mm variant and it's perfect! My bezel is nice and tight, hands align perfectly and it just looks so right. The difference in size is quite noticeable and it really is a lot of watch for the money. I'll post a pic at some point.

39mm version arrived today, I much prefer this over the 42mm, it's going back though,not much use when you need both thumbs to get the bezel to rotate

Last edited by geran; 8th August 2018 at 18:57.

Master
    I can honestly say I've never even tried to rotate a bezel with only one thumb.

Neither have I. All very odd this. I would use thumb and finger at opposite sides. I would be worried if you could turn the bezel with a single digit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Neither have I. All very odd this. I would use thumb and finger at opposite sides. I would be worried if you could turn the bezel with a single digit.
    I'd send it back if it could be turned with one thumb.

Journeyman
    After my initial scepticism I took the plunge too. Very happy though want to change the strap and I’m not sure what to go for, suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Correct, thumb and finger should normally move a bezel with relative ease on a new watch, this bezel was so stiff the above method would not get it to budge, both thumbs had to be used either side of the bezel to try and get it to move,
    Being returned tomorrow for a replacement.
    Last edited by geran; 8th August 2018 at 21:39.

Master
    Correct, thumb and finger should normally move a bezel with relative ease on a new watch, this bezel was so stiff the above method would not get it to budge, both thumbs had to be used either side of the bezel to try and get it to move,
    Being returned tomorrow for a replacement.
    Try turning it continuously for about 5 or so minutes. I've had brand new bezels ease off after 30+ turns.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Try turning it continuously for about 5 or so minutes. I've had brand new bezels ease off after 30+ turns.
    I did give this a try earlier, to be honest it got steadily worse the more I tried turning it, if it had been bought used I would have popped it off and taken a look, but not on a new watch.

Master
    I did give this a try earlier, to be honest it got steadily worse the more I tried turning it, if it had been bought used I would have popped it off and taken a look, but not on a new watch.
    Ah well, sounds faulty right enough. Surprised as I've had over 10 Steinies and found their bezels exceptional.

Ah well, sounds faulty right enough. Surprised as I've had over 10 Steinies and found their bezels exceptional.
    The bezel action its self (when I can get it to rotate) is better than the 42mm watch I tried, that was easy enough to turn but had a bit of play in it, which I found strange, as all the reviews I looked at mentioned how positive the bezel action felt.

Journeyman
    Looks great but I wish they did it without the cyclops. It’s the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger...
    Quote Originally Posted by DazBock View Post
    After my initial scepticism I took the plunge too. Very happy though want to change the strap and I’m not sure what to go for, suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ummar01 View Post
    Looks great but I wish they did it without the cyclops. It’s the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger...
    I believe these can be removed with a bit of heat, likely to be a video on YouTube on how it's done.
    I have never owned a watch with a cyclops, in the flesh it's quite good to be honest.

Master
    The bezel action its self (when I can get it to rotate) is better than the 42mm watch I tried, that was easy enough to turn but had a bit of play in it, which I found strange, as all the reviews I looked at mentioned how positive the bezel action felt.
    My 39 bezel is fine, just unlucky I guess but the overall size and package is great. Thoroughly enjoying mine and can highly recommend this size from Steinhart.

yup - I bought an ocean 44 a while back as spares/repairs as the seller told me the bezel was totally seized and wouldn't move at all. On arrival I ran it under pretty hot water for 5 mins then in a basin of hot water just "wiggled" it firmly till it started to move then eventually (another 5 mins) it started to move albeit really very stiff indeed. Approx 20-30 full rotations of the bezel later (all under water) it loosened off to the extent that it was like new again.

Journeyman
    I believe these can be removed with a bit of heat, likely to be a video on YouTube on how it's done.
    I have never owned a watch with a cyclops, in the flesh it's quite good to be honest.
    The cyclops is the difference between it being a homage to a Rolex to a straight copy in my opinion

I actually bought the Ocean Black DLC for my brother as a birthday present and was impressed by the build quality and feel. It didn’t have the cyclops though....

Replacement arrived today, all appears good.
    I noted in the booklet for the guarantee there is a ref number for the watch I can't see any serial number on the case back, so not sure what identifies the number in the booklet to the watch.

Also noted the bracelet has two half links, makes easy work to get the best fitment.
    Last edited by geran; 11th August 2018 at 21:26.

Bought the Ceramic GMT 39mm from Neil at Chronomaster.
    It sits perfectly on my wrist.
    Unfortunately I struggle to see the numerals on the bezel in certain light conditions.
    So will be returning it and getting the “Pepsi” one.
    I was impressed how well builit it is, especially the bracelet. However I shall fit it to either a rubber or canvas strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Bought the Ceramic GMT 39mm from Neil at Chronomaster.
    It sits perfectly on my wrist.
    Unfortunately I struggle to see the numerals on the bezel in certain light conditions.
    So will be returning it and getting the “Pepsi” one.
    I was impressed how well builit it is, especially the bracelet. However I shall fit it to either a rubber or canvas strap.
    Yes it's a great size and I have read that about the bezel before. You'll love the Pepsi

^^^^^
    The main reasons why I am getting a GMT, is because we are visiting your beautiful country in November to see family.

Master
    ^^^^^
    The main reasons why I am getting a GMT, is because we are visiting your beautiful country in November to see family.
    Great stuff and if truth be told, I'm a POM who married an Ozzy girl and emigrated 8 years ago. My GMT helps me know the time in the UK for keeping in touch with my elderly parents. I've worn it straight for 3 weeks and it's just so enjoyable considering the cost. Not one person has commented or even noticed the watch let alone any similarities to the original which to me says that in all reality, no_one_gives _a_s**t!!!

I have been hmming and arghhing whether or not to try yet another 40mm wish sub hommage. These look cracking in the photos i have seen, and have read some very favourable reviews of the brand and the ocean one 39 in particular.

Does anyone in the South Wales are own one for me to possibly make a flying visit and have a good look at one before making a final yay or nay decision?

Journeyman
    I have the 42 mm GMT. Looks great but wears a bit heavy. The clasp sounds a bit tinny. But for sub 400 sterling with an ETA in it its a great buy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    I have been hmming and arghhing whether or not to try yet another 40mm wish sub hommage. These look cracking in the photos i have seen, and have read some very favourable reviews of the brand and the ocean one 39 in particular.

Does anyone in the South Wales are own one for me to possibly make a flying visit and have a good look at one before making a final yay or nay decision?
    Check out Ginault.

Master
    Great looking watches and such awesome value considering the package. Does the cyclops magnification do a good job? The pictures posted above do not really show it.

Check out Ginault.
    The Ginault's do look very nice to, but I have tried similar watches before- specifically the Kemmner 007 watch, which i still have, and the Squale Mil-Sub, which my son instantly took off my hands.

The price factor of the Steinhart is what is appealing the most, reasonable for a watch to be worn whilst at work and not caring about it taking a good knock or two every now and then.

I would just like to try a 39mm on if possible before i go spending money, on a watch i may or may not wear due to its size.

Master
    The Ginault's do look very nice to, but I have tried similar watches before- specifically the Kemmner 007 watch, which i still have, and the Squale Mil-Sub, which my son instantly took off my hands.

The price factor of the Steinhart is what is appealing the most, reasonable for a watch to be worn whilst at work and not caring about it taking a good knock or two every now and then.

I would just like to try a 39mm on if possible before i go spending money, on a watch i may or may not wear due to its size.
    Sound idea. I think the Ginault is 1mm bigger at 40mm. It's way ahead of the Squale 1545 (I've owned 2 and they're pretty good) and Steinhart (I own 7) in quality and finish. This is as it should be as it is typically £750 used.

Master

The 39 is a very different proposition to the 42 and I have owned both. The 39 is very comfortable, sits very nicely on the wrist, has a great cyclops with AR coating so it doesn't obscure the date, a positive bezel and runs about a minute fast a week at the mo but it's only 6 weeks old. I am very happy with mine and I think it's great value. You won't regret it one bit!

The Ginault is one I have been thinking about but it's just too much for what it is and the cyclops is difficult to read, no AR. I have read great things but for an ETA clone at that price point, it's too rich for me. You could get the non date or model without cyclops of course but it's still a lot. Second hand I might try one.

I think the 39 Pepsi from Steinhart could benefit from a gloss dial and that would finish it off very nicely. They are constantly sold out so you have to keep an eye on the website for the next batch. Good luck!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    and the cyclops is difficult to read, no AR. I have read great things but for an ETA clone at that price point, it's too rich for me. You could get the non date or model without cyclops of course but it's still a lot. Second hand I might try one.
    No AR is my only real issue with the Ginault.

Do the Ocean One 39s come with tools to resize the bracelet and if so, how easy is it to do?

No AR is my only real issue with the Ginault.
    I hadn't really noticed that. But the writing at the bottom of the dial irritates a bit as it sacrifices the minute markers so you can't set the time accurately. Otherwise it's perfect and astonishing value.

Comes with a screwdriver to size the bracelet too, easiest one I've ever sized...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Do the Ocean One 39s come with tools to resize the bracelet and if so, how easy is it to do?
    No tools as far as I can recall but dead easy with a decent little screwdriver. You just have to watch for them unscrewing a little over time if you haven't either screwed them tight enough or used a little Loctite.

Gnomon expect to have the military back in Oct and you can get them to alert you.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...omon-exclusive

They sold out pretty quickly last time though, so don't hang around.

I have yet to try a 39mm as the 42mm seem fine on my 7.25" wrist. My concern is that they would be too small.

The Gnomon editions are rather good though, I have the military which is the only version released to date with an acrylic superdome crystal.

No tools as far as I can recall but dead easy with a decent little screwdriver. You just have to watch for them unscrewing a little over time if you haven't either screwed them tight enough or used a little Loctite.
    Thanks for the info. I had the same problem with the Helson Shark Diver bracelet. I actually lost some screws due to them being too loose!

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post

Comes with a screwdriver to size the bracelet too, easiest one I've ever sized...
    Great news thanks!

Am dangerously close to buying one of these while I sit out the seemingly never ending wait for the right 16710 to come along. The 39 GMT Pepsi are in stock at Chronomaster and seem to be actually cheaper than via the Steinhart website. Now, jubilee or oyster???

Master
    Thanks for the info. I had the same problem with the Helson Shark Diver bracelet. I actually lost some screws due to them being too loose!

Great news thanks!

Am dangerously close to buying one of these while I sit out the seemingly never ending wait for the right 16710 to come along. The 39 GMT Pepsi are in stock at Chronomaster and seem to be actually cheaper than via the Steinhart website. Now, jubilee or oyster???
    As far as I am aware, the 39 only comes with the oyster at the moment.

Master
    Gnomon expect to have the military back in Oct and you can get them to alert you.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/watches...omon-exclusive

They sold out pretty quickly last time though, so don't hang around.

I have yet to try a 39mm as the 42mm seem fine on my 7.25" wrist. My concern is that they would be too small.

The Gnomon editions are rather good though, I have the military which is the only version released to date with an acrylic superdome crystal.

I hope to pick up the 39 OVM in October but I'll have to be quick no doubt. I must admit, I haven't enjoyed a watch as much as the 39 Pepsi in a very long time.

As far as I am aware, the 39 only comes with the oyster at the moment.
    Ah yes! I was looking at the 42 on jubilee by mistake!

Master
    Ah yes! I was looking at the 42 on jubilee by mistake!
    I hope they release the 39 on a jubilee at some point as it would be awesome.

I hope to pick up the 39 OVM in October but I'll have to be quick no doubt. I must admit, I haven't enjoyed a watch as much as the 39 Pepsi in a very long time.
    Still haven't worked out which GMT Pepsi to go for. I have e-mailed Steinhart to see if they will sell a 42mm without a cyclops on the crystal. I have heard of people having it done as a repair, but not as a direct order. If they can do it and they don't add too much money on then I think I will go for that.

Buying the military 39mm is probably the safest option, then if I don't like it, it shouldn't be too difficult to sell on.

Update: they don't do customisations. A bit odd really, as I used to own a 42mm Pepsi that had been back to Steinhart to have the crystal replaced for a non cyclops version.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 29th August 2018 at 15:53.

Master
    Still haven't worked out which GMT Pepsi to go for. I have e-mailed Steinhart to see if they will sell a 42mm without a cyclops on the crystal. I have heard of people having it done as a repair, but not as a direct order. If they can do it and they don't add too much money on then I think I will go for that.

Buying the military 39mm is probably the safest option, then if I don't like it, it shouldn't be too difficult to sell on.

Update: they don't do customisations. A bit odd really, as I used to own a 42mm Pepsi that had been back to Steinhart to have the crystal replaced for a non cyclops version.
    I must admit I did consider removing the cyclops as although it works fine it's not quite as magnified as I would like. I've left it for now though and yes, the 39 OVM will be sought after for sure.

When I initially ordered my Ocean One pepsi GMT, I also purchased the black red inset as an alternative https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/a...ies/bezel.html
    Last edited by geran; 29th August 2018 at 16:02.

My 39mm Steinhart "Pepsi" GMT is arriving tomorrow.

My 39mm Steinhart "Pepsi" GMT is arriving tomorrow.
    Nice one TC

Please let me know your thoughts after giving it a whirl.

I'm deliberating over the GMT and the Green bezelled standard sub-a-like. (I would still like to try one on first before committing though)

^^^^^^^
    Will do.

Journeyman
    I "did have" a Ocean One 39 green...until Mrs Ernie said.."oohhh thats nice..I love that green thingy"..she now wears it everyday..I took the original strap of.. and placed a shark mesh on it

Ernie

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Great looking watches and such awesome value considering the package. Does the cyclops magnification do a good job? The pictures posted above do not really show it.
    It’s ok pretty much got to look straight down on it (see below) It’s really the only thing I don’t like about mine to be honest. Think it can be removed