closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Request for help - special needs children trip needs funds

Master
    That's what makes the world a beautiful place we are all allowed an opinion.

It just looks like people had him down for guilty and went looking for glory by outing a rat that didn't exist and addin more to a stirring pot . If he had been left alone from the beginning he would have had a receipt to show. He only went about it different because people were insinuating he was stealing the money! All a bit poo in my opinion.

But as you have been proven wrong you will have a different opinion? You lit a fuse and stepped back in my opinion 😁

Well well well......

Just ten visited the thread to see all of the apologies.....

NOT

I’d like to thank the person who contacted the owner of our business who has tried to insinuate that I’m a thief

I had a fab meeting with my directors who loved and knew what I was doing throughout

Robbing money from a charity thing?

There should be a band made on here

Ally and the prophets of bull

My name is cleared without any doubts at all

I’ve not heard from “Janine” - SHe got it wrong
    Do you all see that?
    People make mistakes - information can take time to pull through
    What an “about turn”

The kids? Yes - remember them? They’re going in their trip

Thanks to those that donated it has been true it aporeciated

Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    That's what makes the world a beautiful place we are all allowed an opinion.

It just looks like people had him down for guilty and went looking for glory by outing a rat that didn't exist and addin more to a stirring pot . If he had been left alone from the beginning he would have had a receipt to show. He only went about it different because people were insinuating he was stealing the money! All a bit poo in my opinion.

But as you have been proven wrong you will have a different opinion? You lit a fuse and stepped back in my opinion 
    Many thanks for your kind words

Quote Originally Posted by dickdutch View Post
    Will there be any recourse available to John when this is all sorted out, some people have been utterly disgusting during this debacle.

I’ll not hold out for any apologies

It’s fine - like I’ve said all along - I sleep well at night

I am delighted that SOME funds went to wherever they were supposed to.

I think there are so many things wrong with the way John went about it. He may be pleased with himself. He may think he was vindicated. None of that is justified.

1) If you want to raise money, it’s best if you have a good name. If you’ve managed to ruin the reputation of 2 forum ID previously, it’s going to have an impact.

2) In ALL cases, and even more so if your reputation has suffered previously, do everything openly throughout. And to start with, avoid being even remotely associated through your job.

3) As you’re asking other people for their hard earned, do it politely. If they question your motives, stay polite, smile, and as much as possible address their concerns: not for those who openly question you, but for all the others who will read both questions and answers (or lack there of).

4) In all situations remain humble. You’re begging, for a good cause but begging nevertheless. I’ve done it with the SA at Christmas and other causes, I can tell you that being snotty is not going to get people to dig deep.

Having said all that, I’ll just add 2 things:
    - You would have raised 2 or 3 times more if you had done it properly and had kept your attitude in check.
    - The way you did it is probably illegal. Those who donated are entitled to claim for tax relief. Are you going to refund them? Or do what they would have done, and give it to the charity on their behalf?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Well well well.....
    Give it a rest John, you’ve embarrassed yourself enough already.

Have a good weekend.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Give it a rest John, you’ve embarrassed yourself enough already.
    /\ this. Whilst you have undoubtedly had criticism (with some justification) your reaction is a bit strange and not that of a straight thinking benefactor you purport to be. I’d give the forums a rest for a few weeks if I were you.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't going to post on this thread as its nowt to do with me, however I have experience with a good mate who has anxiety/stress and can act like a right weirdo, so although I know johns history on here, I think if he does actually suffer from stress/anxiety etc, there must be a bit of leeway in dealing with his behaviour.

thats it, back out now.

mike

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I apologise for not giving the benefit of the doubt.
    To be honest it was based on previous form for del boy behaviour which I still have no time for and the cack handed way it was dealt with. I am relieved to be wrong.

That said, I think a strangers intrusion into somebodys day to day life on a mission to seek truth/strife/glory (delete as applicable) is alarming and equally I'm not on the benefit of the doubt side of the fence about that either.
    I hope no ill feeling from the college towards you has been generated as a result of it.

Dear Mr Sweepinghand, why you stay on this forum after the way you’ve been treated is beyond me.

I’m also mystified by the perpetual and pervasive cynicism displayed here with depressing regularity. There ised to be a mutually supportive mentality on here, although that was some years ago now. I fondly remember the TZ-er who willingly collected an item from Christies in Geneva on my behalf and posted it to me. Now it’s all sneering and suspicion.

What happened to thinking the best of someone until they prove otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Dear Mr Sweepinghand, why you stay on this forum after the way you’ve been treated is beyond me.

I’m also mystified by the perpetual and pervasive cynicism displayed here with depressing regularity. There ised to be a mutually supportive mentality on here, although that was some years ago now. I fondly remember the TZ-er who willingly collected an item from Christies in Geneva on my behalf and posted it to me. Now it’s all sneering and suspicion.

You probably missed a thread this week about a young girl selling her hoodies for a good cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Nothing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Sometimes fortunately and sometimes unfortunately this forum is frequented by some very astute individuals and some very untrusting individuals.

In this case, I do believe it's correct to question motives. There have been some questions raised in the Bear Pit which probably did need to be answered, mainly whether funds raised were going into a charity fund or send directly to the OP.

Charity work is to be applauded, but in this day and age it is very very easy to 'pick the pockets' of trusting individuals by using the "C" word and pulling on heart strings.
    To echo previous replies I applaud the efforts OP made with the Christmas Toy donations, but I have to add that I declined to take part because my hometown (as well as everybody elses, if they care to have a look) run the same gift-drive for impoverished familes in the local area.
    Ditto for the above scheme. There are tons of local disabled charities frantically trying to raise funds for the same sort of initiatives, but on a bigger scale.

If this is all registered and above board then I can't fault it, though for the amount required I would have loved to see OP make this happen using local donations rather than appealing on the forum. I would have understood if a child/family member was involved, but no mention of that.

I would urge anyone involved here to check the Bear Pit "Draught Thread" before proceeding further. Only one page back.

It concerns me a bit that this went from a casual "hey, if it's not allowed then no harm done", to a desperate plea for funds after the first interest was shown.
    No need to explain to me - I decided immediately that I wouldn't be getting involved. You have to appreciate that such a vague and sketchy sounding project was going to attract some serious question marks though.
    I would want quotes from the travel companies, a full overview of who was involved (which school, for instance) and a breakdown of costs with receipts. Then again, I'm a sceptic. Luckily some on here aren't .
    Simply putting into very mild language some of the suggestions from The Pit, and offering (in a none confrontational way, I hope) the opportunity to clear up any confusion.
    I want to wish you the best of luck with the endeavour, but you're not making it easy.

SweepingHand, I would like to offer an apology, however I must say that I still stand by the above, which you seemed to take great exception to at the time.
    I didn't accuse you or jump down your throat, I tried to give you a platform to clear your name.

The last sentence especially, the one I have highlighted in bold, stands by itself - you made this much harder than it needed to be, stress and depression aside. I have suffered from a similar stress/anxiety and if it was me in your shoes I'd have been having sleepless nights until it was cleared up and my name was clean.

Surely you understand why some of the guys are still skeptical?

Blog Entries
    John…. Stick me down for a tenner…. PM as I’d like to donate please…. Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I am delighted that SOME funds went to wherever they were supposed to.

I think there are so many things wrong with the way John went about it. He may be pleased with himself. He may think he was vindicated. None of that is justified.

1) If you want to raise money, it’s best if you have a good name. If you’ve managed to ruin the reputation of 2 forum ID previously, it’s going to have an impact.

2) In ALL cases, and even more so if your reputation has suffered previously, do everything openly throughout. And to start with, avoid being even remotely associated through your job.

3) As you’re asking other people for their hard earned, do it politely. If they question your motives, stay polite, smile, and as much as possible address their concerns: not for those who openly question you, but for all the others who will read both questions and answers (or lack there of).

4) In all situations remain humble. You’re begging, for a good cause but begging nevertheless. I’ve done it with the SA at Christmas and other causes, I can tell you that being snotty is not going to get people to dig deep.

Having said all that, I’ll just add 2 things:
    - You would have raised 2 or 3 times more if you had done it properly and had kept your attitude in check.
    - The way you did it is probably illegal. Those who donated are entitled to claim for tax relief. Are you going to refund them? Or do what they would have done, and give it to the charity on their behalf?

Nothing illegal

If people hadn’t pooped in the thread I’d have hit the £400 for them
    It’s mainly down to one complete idiot from north of the border
    It makes it all the sweeter that of course... it was all above board

No need guys for any apologies now
    It’s dealt with - I’ll continue to sleep well at night in England

With respect, if anything it isn’t above board. At all.

With respect, if anything it isn’t above board. At all.
    Which reads “with lack of respect”

All is settled
    All s correct
    All monies were received
    Children will benefit

There is an element of lack of respect. Respect is earned, not a given.
    You have a stained reputation. The stains are of your own making, not some sort of unfortunate circumstances.
    Now you keep saying all is above board but that is factually incorrect and you’re a liar for saying it.
    The only thing that has been established is that some of the money went to the charity. We don’t know how much you collected.
    We don’t know how much you donated to the charity.
    If we knew this, with some sort of evidence, you could start claiming that things are above board. And even then, the fact that getting you to fulfill this basic, fundamental and perfectly normal request shows why you should not be trusted with other people’s money.

Just read this thread and it is shameful

No matter how many Shampoo bottles are mistaken for rare collectables in the past, being accused of stealing from these children is horrific

The questions were right to be bought up but the pitchforks should have stayed in the shed until any wrong-doing was proven

All I can see is jumping the gun meant the kids missed out on any further donations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Just read this thread and it is shameful

No matter how many Shampoo bottles are mistaken for rare collectables in the past, being accused of stealing from these children is horrific

The questions were right to be bought up but the pitchforks should have stayed in the shed until any wrong-doing was proven

All I can see is jumping the gun meant the kids missed out on any further donations
    That if all the " I was going to donate " brigade wasn't just say it for effect.

Maybe theses people could make that donation now all is correct?

Request for help - special needs children trip needs funds

All is not correct. Far from it. But indeed you can give directly through Just giving. Go on the Ruskin Mill website and follow the links to donate. THAT is correct.
    BTW, they also have a page if you want to raise funds

Master
    All is not correct. Far from it. But indeed you can give directly through Just giving. Go on the Ruskin Mill website and follow the links to donate. THAT is correct.
    BTW, they also have a page if you want to raise funds
    Think I will bow out in this now. On a last note
    It looks like your just being nasty now for the sake of it! you had him down for a theif, he's not so your just going on about a mistake he made Bla bla bla almost harassing in my opinion . I don't think there is any more bone to chew .

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

And herein we have proof positive that no good deed goes unpunished.

Request for help - special needs children trip needs funds

Quote Originally Posted by golf View Post
    Think I will bow out in this now. On a last note
    It looks like your just being nasty now for the sake of it! you had him down for a theif, he's not so your just going on about a mistake he made Bla bla bla almost harassing in my opinion . I don't think there is any more bone to chew .

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    I think you’re mistaken here. If you look at what SJ is saying, he’s not saying that monies raised haven’t been given to the school. He is saying that there is nothing to show that all the money has been paid.

Whilst Sweepinghand is saying that everything is open and above board, SJ is merely asking for the proof as promised in post #16.

I will be providing photographic evidence of the funds being handed over
    Plus there will be supporting evidence of the day and a confirmation from the school concerned thanking TZ members etc

Apprentice
    Christ. What a mess. Well done OP, you did a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an element of lack of respect. Respect is earned, not a given.
    You have a stained reputation. The stains are of your own making, not some sort of unfortunate circumstances.
    Now you keep saying all is above board but that is factually incorrect and you’re a liar for saying it.
    The only thing that has been established is that some of the money went to the charity. We don’t know how much you collected.
    We don’t know how much you donated to the charity.
    If we knew this, with some sort of evidence, you could start claiming that things are above board. And even then, the fact that getting you to fulfill this basic, fundamental and perfectly normal request shows why you should not be trusted with other people’s money.
    Ffs - have a look at the just giving page it says how much went in and how much was donated
    The lot of it you baffoons.....

Do you think it’s just a tenner

I call out and ask the person who wrote to Janine and the owner of our business - yes - the person who tried to get me into deep trouble (tragic fail btw as my firm are more than aware of what’s been raised etc)
    Give Janine a bell and ask her how much she got
    Then go through the admin of asking every individual who donated to state how much

Then call Johnny Ball (of think of a number fame) you’ll need him to help as clearly you’ll need independent assurance that the maths are correct

Then tick the box of “oh.... he’s right after all”

I read a thread earlier today about buying watches from a charity shop - raffling them off and “after covering your costs” donating some to the charity shop and some to the fundraiser
    That’s fab - but are we to actually believe the guy hasn’t profited if he does it!
    Will we have an itemised link to the sake - each ticket sold - do the “costs” include petrol to and from the shop?
    Should he create an official page to deal with it all?

No.... of course not - but that’s where things are going due to the mind numbing behaviour of posters like this

I’ve still not heard from Janine - despite sending a few well worded emails....

Gone from knowing nothing of anything to clearing up things rapidly - let’s call Columbo...

Every penny raised has gone to the trust (apart from the stupid % that just giving take - which wasn’t my suggestion)

That’s the end of it - FINAL - I won’t post on this thread again unless I hear from Janine or until I receive and update on how the trip went etc
    I won’t be attending due to a funeral (pictures of that can be provided if needed with a copy of that days newspaper in hand as evidence of date etc) for the sick cynics amongst you

Craftsman
    I am not one to get involved in this type of nonsense however, calling a person's workplace or boss because of an internet misunderstanding on a watch forum. That's seriously out of order.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Ffs - have a look at the just giving page it says how much went in and how much was donated

I call out and ask the person who wrote to Janine and the owner of our business - yes - the person who tried to get me into deep trouble (tragic fail btw as my firm are more than aware of what’s been raised etc)
    Then go through the admin of asking every individual who donated to state how much

Then call Johnny Ball (of think of a number fame) you’ll need him to help as clearly you’ll need independent assurance that the maths are correct

I read a thread earlier today about buying watches from a charity shop - raffling them off and “after covering your costs” donating some to the charity shop and some to the fundraiser
    That’s fab - but are we to actually believe the guy hasn’t profited if he does it!
    Will we have an itemised link to the sake - each ticket sold - do the “costs” include petrol to and from the shop?

No.... of course not - but that’s where things are going due to the mind numbing behaviour of posters like this

Gone from knowing nothing of anything to clearing up things rapidly - let’s call Columbo...

Every penny raised has gone to the trust (apart from the stupid % that just giving take - which wasn’t my suggestion)

That’s the end of it - FINAL - I won’t post on this thread again unless I hear from Janine or until I receive and update on how the trip went etc
    I won’t be attending due to a funeral (pictures of that can be provided if needed with a copy of that days newspaper in hand as evidence of date etc) for the sick cynics amongst you
    sorry but you are a dick. You really need to sort it out- it is no wonder forum members had a go. Your attitude is something else.

You need to ''wind your neck in'' pal, you've got dodgy history on here, you could have raised far more money had you handled the whole affair differently, whilst your intentions may have been honourable if you have issues with anxiety and or depression you should have sought help organising the donations banking and payment, your beligerance is at odds with ''good deeds'', hence why I for one didn't contribute.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

(...)

(...)
    Since you are asking for it.

I don't know who wrote to the owner of your business, certainly not me. I did contact Janine as you had repeatedly and over a period of three week promised to produce evidence of the money being handed over but have failed to do so. As you know, Ruskin Mill have confirmed that they received money both from/via you as well as from your employer. So far, there is no information about how much money was received. How you can continue to claim that transparency has been established is beyond me.

If I go back to the beginning of this thread, you are claiming that you have donated the first £200 to cover the tickets. Add to that the £252.58 from forum mebers (post 28), that makes £452.58 which should have been received by the school (excluding money given by your employer). Or did the £200 come from your employer and you have donated nothing yourself?

The answer to this simple question will go a long way towards establishing transparency and will also leave members with enough information to judge for themselves.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

I will be providing photographic evidence of the funds being handed over
    Plus there will be supporting evidence of the day and a confirmation from the school concerned thanking TZ members etc
    I must have missed this bit.

Grand Master
    Just re- read this thread for the second (and last) time. Maybe John should’ve handled things better but his motives have been shown to be OK despite his checkered past on TZ. I bought a watch from him several years ago and I had no complaints, I know he got his knuckles wrapped for doing too much selling on SC but that doesn’t make him a complete wrong ‘un as some have tried (unsuccessfully) to claim.

A few folks have had the good grace to apologise, some haven’t, some will continue to argue like dogs chewing on a bone.

Maybe it’s just coincidence, but whenever there’s a contentious episode on TZ, Ally and Rif-Raffe are usually involved.....this one’s no exception. Do either of them ever contribute anything interesting, humerous or even watch- related to this forum?..........if so I must be missing it.

Rif-Raffe seems to revel in his Role as TZ’s resident detective, we’re all in awe of his skills and tenacity, but maybe on this ocassion he could step down from his pedastal and apologise to John? If so, perhaps Ally would follow his example( somehow I doubt it).

It’s supposed to be a friendly watch forum; much as I dislike moderation I think this forum could use some at the moment.

Paul

Do either of them ever contribute anything watch-related to this forum?
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?425069-SOTC-2018

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Just re- read this thread for the second (and last) time. Maybe John should’ve handled things better but his motives have been shown to be OK despite his checkered past on TZ. I bought a watch from him several years ago and I had no complaints, I know he got his knuckles wrapped for doing too much selling on SC but that doesn’t make him a complete wrong ‘un as some have tried (unsuccessfully) to claim.

A few folks have had the good grace to apologise, some haven’t, some will continue to argue like dogs chewing on a bone.

Maybe it’s just coincidence, but whenever there’s a contentious episode on TZ, Ally and Rif-Raffe are usually involved.....this one’s no exception. Do either of them ever contribute anything interesting, humerous or even watch- related to this forum?..........if so I must be missing it.

Rif-Raffe seems to revel in his Role as TZ’s resident detective, we’re all in awe of his skills and tenacity, but maybe on this ocassion he could step down from his pedastal and apologise to John? If so, perhaps Ally would follow his example( somehow I doubt it).

It’s supposed to be a friendly watch forum; much as I dislike moderation I think this forum could use some at the moment.

Paul
    I almost completely disagree.

His attitude stinks, and has certainly kept more than a few of us from donating.

There are no apologies due, and the matter is certainly not resolved.

Grand Master
    John hasn’t covered himself in glory, he could’ve handled this better, but the allegations that he was acting dishonestly have proved to be ill- founded. That’s good enough for me, the forum’s resident bloodhound should have the balls to admit he was mistaken. Does anyone ever question why he gets such a kick out of all the super- sleuthing? Frankly I find it all a bit sad and sinister, he’s only happy when he’s got his teeth into someone.

- - - Updated - - -

No surprise to see you sticking up for your buddy!

Maybe it's time to apply some of this

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.