TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Request for help - special needs children trip needs funds

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Yet you feel the urge to post
    Not to worry
    I think Kev has made a fine stab of vocalising people's concerns.
    Nobody likes having their intentions questioned and I'm sure you're on the level. Hopefully the next time you, (or anyone else), has a bit of a fundraising drive, there can be a link to a Just Giving page from the outset to avoid all this.

With regards to the 'new M3' stuff. I find that rather silly. Most of us on here own some nice things. Most of us (I hope) give a bit to charity. Most of us could sell some of our nice things and give more to charity. It's not fair to single John out in this regard.

Smoke and mirrors

“The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.“

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post

With regards to the 'new M3' stuff. I find that rather silly. Most of us on here own some nice things. Most of us (I hope) give a bit to charity. Most of us could sell some of our nice things and give more to charity. It's not fair to single John out in this regard.
    He said he works around SEN for a living, i.e. that's how he earns his bread and butter.

My point is, that's some living he's making out of SEN. It doesn't quite add up for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    “The page owner is responsible for the distribution of funds raised.“
    It’s crowd funding not organised charity. You should see some of the good done on just giving when trust, hope and a few generous souls come together. #charityninjas is a perfect example.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    It’s crowd funding not organised charity. You should see some of the good done on just giving when trust, hope and a few generous souls come together. #charityninjas is a perfect example.
    I think that what Ally is saying is that in contrast to bring a charity page where the funds go directly to a charity, this is effectively no different to just handing Sweepinghand the money. And given that Sweepinghand has a history of deceit, can you understand why many people are concerned about this?

Master
    State of this thread... i was gonna donate a turned piece to auction off but, im totally lost.

If this is legit i couldn't feel more sorry for Sweepinghand.

If this isn't legit, i'm very thankful to those on here more astute than me.

What a mess!

Craftsman
    Such a sad thread. I dont know why the distrust, is there some kind of evidence of dishonesty or is it forum politics?

When able, I've donated many small sums to people doing a bit for charity. More often than not, its unquantifiable how the money will be spent, to be suspicious from the off goes entirely against the principle of charity.....which ofcourse means its often abused but still it shouldnt be the default position. Give in good faith and let karma do the rest.

^^^ there are reasons.

However, the cause is noble so I’d encourage people just to ‘take a punt’ and donate a fiver.

It’s a worthy cause and a noble effort but the risk assessment for this venture must be a nightmare:

A private individual (apparently neither a parent nor a school worker) from another town organising, funding, and accompanying ten EBD and ASD pupils to the seaside and theatre, and sharing details of the trip with strangers via an Internet forum.

I’d be surprised if it is able to go ahead in the form described.

It feels like a piece of the jigsaw which will make all of the above make sense is missing.

Are you a school governor? Are you fundraising on behalf of the PTA? Are the donations going to the school in a private capacity or in connection with a business relationship?

With so many good causes competing for funding this lack of clarity is inevitably going to make people think twice about donating.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    It’s a worthy cause and a noble effort but the risk assessment for this venture must be a nightmare:

A private individual (apparently neither a parent nor a school worker) from another town organising, funding, and accompanying ten EBD and ASD pupils to the seaside and theatre, and sharing details of the trip with strangers via an Internet forum.

I’d be surprised if it is able to go ahead in the form described.

It feels like a piece of the jigsaw which will make all of the above make sense is missing.

Are you a school governor? Are you fundraising on behalf of the PTA? Are the donations going to the school in a private capacity or in connection with a business relationship?

With so many good causes competing for funding this lack of clarity is inevitably going to make people think twice about donating.
    ^^^^^ This, in a nutshell.

If the OP would be willing to clarify any of the above it would go a long way to soothing concerns. And the 'What a sad world we live in where people can't trust each other' argument isn't enough.

Gents I really don't understand why so many people are 'calling foul' when there's no evidence.

In a nutshell though I couldn't agree more with this....

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    .... Give in good faith and let karma do the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    Gents I really don't understand why so many people are 'calling foul' when there's no evidence.
    There's also no evidence that it's above board.

Let's look at it though.

A guy with a history of deceit and a tendency towards grabbing whatever freebies he can get from here is asking for money to be handed straight to him, no questions asked.

The supposed cause, an honourable one, is to take a bunch of kids out for the day. He doesn't work for a charity or school and the school and the parents of the children are apparently happy for him to take the kids, no questions asked.

Sorry, but someone needs to ask questions.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    Such a sad thread. I dont know why the distrust, is there some kind of evidence of dishonesty or is it forum politics?
    There's evidence of buying watches on ebay and offering them on here at mark up using the current name. It was an autavia reissue IIRC that was sleuthed by matching paperwork. The dishonesty was denied until proof was presented.
    There's evidence of a ban for SC market trader behaviour under a previous ID (johncoote69) and the OP returned under a different identity. (Sweepinghand)
    Evidence of hoovering freebies and cheap items, and history of posting ways to wangle free food involving taking the receipts from other people's tables.

I'm relieved that questions have been asked, otherwise folk would still be handing over irreversible "gift" payments to an individual PayPal account and relying on conscience to ensure it reached its intended destination.

The majority of fundraisers here link directly and openly to donation sites and avoid any association with their own accounts.
    I think at times it's more reassuring when these things become traceable via proper receipting from third parties.
    Last edited by verv; 25th May 2018 at 17:49.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The dishonesty was denied until proof was presented.
    And that bit as ALL that is needed to be known, thank you.
    Last edited by reggie747; 26th May 2018 at 18:09.

The majority of fundraisers here link directly and openly to donation sites and avoid any association with their own accounts.
    I think at times it's more reassuring when these things become traceable via proper receipting from third parties.
    Plus of course donating to registered charities opens up the potential of Gift Aid for UK tax payers to increase the value of their donations by 25%, and higher rate taxpayers can claim the difference between the higher rate and basic rate on the donation through their tax return. It's a win-win.

Master
    Not sure why more details can’t be published, which school etc.

I would never give to someone’s personal account but happy to contribute to genuine causes that are named. My nephew has a variety of difficulties and benefits from and gets involved in various charities.
    Last edited by craig1912; 26th May 2018 at 07:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    ^^^^^ This, in a nutshell.

If the OP would be willing to clarify any of the above it would go a long way to soothing concerns. And the 'What a sad world we live in where people can't trust each other' argument isn't enough.
    This, I'm surprised i didn't think of it. Safeguarding time bomb.

There isn't a school in the land that would allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I right in thinking the OP has done some charity drives on here before? If so then he'll have evidence of where TZ members' money or goodwill has gone. Because if you were doing this sort of thing you'd want to show the people who donated where their hard earned was going. Over to you, John.
    "A man of little significance"

Good morning fellas

I’ve not looked at the thread since it’s been trashed but that’s fine by me

The monies now will be paid to the schools account as soon as back from half term

I’m not a governor or a parent but work with the school in a capacity surrounding temporary staffing of a supportive nature
    I’m experienced around work in all areas of SEN and have a full clean child and adult dbs as do all of the staff that work there

There won’t be any further donations from here I’m sure in view of the thread pi**ing and Columbo style grilling

“Just one last thing” - as he would say is to thank those that have shown support.

Anybody who has a clue about education knows it’s now half term
    The funds will be forwarded to the school by myself or a trusted member of the TZ community (again to show clarity) to them at an early opportunity on their return

There is nonsafeguarding concern here, no compromise of any kind has been made

The sick twisted minds of individuals who have no thought in helping but hindering a genuine effort to help fund a special moment for kids of need - sleep tight

Total transparency will show no bad seed here

Good day to you all - therecare diamonds amongst the coals

Since you just closed the thread I’ll add my 2p: the only reason this happened is because of your history within this community, your lies when pretending to buy watches for impoverished members of your family that you then sold to ebay for significantly more, your covert dealer activities with no visible respect of Eddie’s rules and your general character here.
    You may act differently IRL but personally I don’t believe a leopard can change its spots.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Since you just closed the thread I’ll add my 2p: the only reason this happened is because of your history within this community, your lies when pretending to buy watches for impoverished members of your family that you then sold to ebay for significantly more, your covert dealer activities with no visible respect of Eddie’s rules and your general character here.
    You may act differently IRL but personally I don’t believe a leopard can change its spots.
    Thats one thing about tz - the forum hivemind has a long and perhaps unforgiving memory.
    Last edited by seikopath; 26th May 2018 at 08:26.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

You're the only reason this hasn't worked out, John. Make it transparent, provide proof, and the money will come in. Don't and, well, don't blame us. More people will remember the flounce.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If concerns have hindered a genuine fundraising effort than it is a shame.
    However, it's extremely skewed to accuse those who question you of being sick and twisted thread pi**ers.
    There are a multitude of fundraising and raffle threads on TZ that make plenty of money for good causes with many of the naysayers in this thread reaching into their pockets.
    They did not create your questionable history on this forum - you did

The sick twisted minds of individuals.....
    ... will no doubt find further amelioration in the Bear pit

Total transparency

Hmmm. What does that mean?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post

Hmmm. What does that mean?
    It's when something is see through Dave.
    It's how windows work.

What is the name of the school that the funds are being raised for? Or have I missed it somewhere?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    What is the name of the school that the funds are being raised for? Or have I missed it somewhere?
    I think it's a school which he sells services to in his day job.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Perhaps just a link to the school or organisation organising the trip from the OP would have been better in the first place?

Oh, and I also work around SEN kids and I can tell you, there is a MASSIVE amount of funds available for kids of that nature. That’s all I’m saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I think it's a school which he sells services to in his day job.
    Ah, but does he sell services to them, or does he simply Aspire to do so?
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Drat!

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Ah, but does he sell services to them, or does he simply Aspire to do so?
    I suppose putting up with some other people's money won't hurt his business, will it?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Hm.
    This does lead to the awkward question of whether or not the donation will have individual contributors listed when the lump sum is handed over, or not?
    Otherwise it could look like a donation from a company looking to do business with the recipient school or have I got the wrong end of the stick here ?

Hm.
    This does lead to the awkward question of whether or not the donation will have individual contributors listed when the lump sum is handed over, or not?
    Otherwise it could look like a donation from a company looking to do business with the recipient school or have I got the wrong end of the stick here ?
    Now that would be really poor ethics, wouldn't it? But then, given his reputation,....

Master
    Good morning fellas

I’ve not looked at the thread since it’s been trashed but that’s fine by me

The monies now will be paid to the schools account as soon as back from half term

I’m not a governor or a parent but work with the school in a capacity surrounding temporary staffing of a supportive nature
    I’m experienced around work in all areas of SEN and have a full clean child and adult dbs as do all of the staff that work there

There won’t be any further donations from here I’m sure in view of the thread pi**ing and Columbo style grilling

“Just one last thing” - as he would say is to thank those that have shown support.

The funds will be forwarded to the school by myself or a trusted member of the TZ community (again to show clarity) to them at an early opportunity on their return

There is nonsafeguarding concern here, no compromise of any kind has been made

The sick twisted minds of individuals who have no thought in helping but hindering a genuine effort to help fund a special moment for kids of need - sleep tight

Good day to you all - therecare diamonds amongst the coals
    the very tone of my his makes me glad I didn’t contribute

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    When is the trip taking place?

Total transparency

Half term is over so looking forward to the update that the money has been paid to the school and that the trip is booked.

Master
    In the same spirit as your question on the bvlgari sales thread, can we see the evidence please? As with you not saying at all.

Any update john?
    Halfterm finished a week ago
    Cheers
    Dave

Give him a chance lads, he’s only just back from the Bahamas.

( Sorry, just kidding, couldn’t resist it )
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Give him a chance lads, he’s only just back from the Bahamas.

Shouldn't that be the Bwahahahahamas?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps I’m being thicker than usual but why could money not be transferred to a school during half-term? Surely they use the same banks as the rest of us?

Just caught up with is and I’m amazed at where it’s gone, I gave to Johns charity based on another members good will towards me..

I can see where the suspicion is arising but when you really look at it does the prospect of raising £400 really make it worth defrauding?
    I mean you would have to be quite desperate to go to these lengths for that sum of money, I’m not saying it’s a small amount of cash but it’s not like he has asked or taken thousands like some others not to far away..

Hopefully it’s all above board and the kids have a great day out..

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Just caught up with is and I’m amazed at where it’s gone, I gave to Johns charity based on another members good will towards me..

I can see where the suspicion is arising but when you really look at it does the prospect of raising £400 really make it worth defrauding?
    I mean you would have to be quite desperate to go to these lengths for that sum of money, I’m not saying it’s a small amount of cash but it’s not like he has asked or taken thousands like some others not to far away..

From memory the deal was to buy stuff in Tesco when they had clubcard points offers, sell whatever it was (for example https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...D**-SOLD-NOW**) and convert points to Goldsmiths vouchers (I think they were worth three times the points, so £1 Tesco = £3 Goldsmiths) to then buy stuff to sell or just sell the points (https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rs-SOLD-THANKS). Eddie banned him for acting like a market trader.

This was quite recent: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...n-bracelet-etc

He once tried to lowball me with a sob story on a watch as johncoote69. There are enough alarm bells ringing for us to want to see evidence of where the charity money is going. There'll be a letter of thanks from the charity, a receipt or some kind of evidence, the kind of thing charities issue for people to use on a tax return or whatever. There'll be some form of accountability to all the people giving him money. And having said he'd donate the money we haven't yet seen the evidence.

Yeh he does have a checkered past going by some of the evidence.

But using children with a disability to swindle a few hundred quid is below any low someone would stoop too on here surely, not being naive but it just seems all a bit too much to risk for such little reward.

If and I mean IF it turns out bad then effectively we who have donated will have been robbed?

Be good to hear from John with positive evidence and clear all this up.

This thread is such depressing reading.

In order to prove this is bona-fide there is a simple solution:

OP post the receipt for the tickets to Warhorse you already bought.

How come you donated this time after your comments on this thread from last August ??

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...n-bracelet-etc

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    How come you donated this time after your comments on this thread from last August ??

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...n-bracelet-etc
    Simply because I forgot I suppose!

I don’t really keep a record of all who I have commented on here, plus the person who helped me out asked if I could make a donation to this charity..

Simple as that really..

the person who helped me out asked if I could make a donation to this charity..
    Charity? Donations were made to the OP’s personal PayPal account.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Charity? Donations were made to the OP’s personal PayPal account.
    Look, it was given as a charitable donation £15.00, Call it what you will..

I’m not sure what to call it to be honest, until there is some evidence and clarification from the OP...

I will be providing photographic evidence of the funds being handed over
    Plus there will be supporting evidence of the day and a confirmation from the school concerned thanking TZ members etc
    I’ll be giving them my own time in the day (a very long day) to help in any way I can too
    ^ There isn’t a school in the land that would allow a sales man with no connection to the school to organise a trip and then to accompany vulnerable pupils on the trip.

OFSTED and the local authority will be interested to know which school this is...

I’m currrently helping to fund a trip for ten children with special educational needs.

Inner city Birmingham location and many of these kids have never seen the sea or felt the sand between their toes

So... to coincide with a theatre production of War Horse at the Lowry in Manchester, we are hoping to get the kids to Crosby beach near Liverpool

Costs are high...
    Already have managed to cover the tickets for the performance at £200 but the transport is coming in at about £400

This is the amount I am hoping to raise via donations

The kids are high level ASD and EBD - challenging yet totally loving and fun too

I managed the £200 but the rest....
    Well.... can anybody help?

Ten kids plus carers and equipment means a large and reliable minibus

£400 is the best quote our organiser has to date
    ^ There is no shortage of money in the system to support SEN pupils, so is there really a need for fundraising for an educational visit?

Even if there were a need for fundraising, the OP works for a supply staff agency, so the school could have a conflict of interest if it accepted a donation via a personal PayPal account that could be seen as a sweetener or inducement.