closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches: travel insurance

Watches: travel insurance

Since this is watch related I thought it should go in WT rather than G&D. Apologies in advance if anyone disagrees.

I’m off to a sporting event towards the south of France next weekend. I want to take one of my best watches with me but the ‘single article limit’ available via price comparison website comes nowhere close to covering it should the worst happen.

Does anyone have any suggested insurers or brokers for foreign trips that will deal with circa £15k (I know, chicken feed to some) on a single item limit? I’ve done a search and nothing jumped out at me as relevant. Again, apologies if I have missed a similar thread elsewhere.

Thanks in advance

Greg

Master
    Does your home insurance offer any such cover? Or could it be upgraded to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Does your home insurance offer any such cover? Or could it be upgraded to do so?
    I'd try this too.

Most decent home policies can provide cover while away from the home and/or travelling. You have to be wearing it for most policies to kick in though (for example if you leave it somewhere like your hotel and it is stolen, some policies won't pay. Whereas if you're mugged wearing it, they will).

Home insurance for things, travel insurance for medical emergencies.

Craftsman
    Depends on your country, insurer and the value of the watch. I have a valuable insurance that covers nearly all scenarios that's specific to the bauble. My collection is rather small and I wear all the watches so it is not a problem. If you got 10 comex submariners that you intend to take to your Canary Island vacation, that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    If you keep it strapped to wrist the whole time why worry. If you don't want to.pay arm and leg for insurance take a cheap watch.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    It’s more the ‘slip and fall down’: Daytona meets immovable object of some sort scenario I’m thinking of.

Thanks for the helpful replies - I’ll try the Home insurer. I had thought there would be a territorial limit on their cover but rather than assume I’ll give them a bell. I’ll report back in case anyone else has a similar query in future.

Cheers

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    If you keep it strapped to wrist the whole time why worry. If you don't want to.pay arm and leg for insurance take a cheap watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Home insurance for things, travel insurance for medical emergencies.
    Every day is a school day. I’m covered “all risks, worldwide” for my nominated items which includes the watch.

Top work guys, many thanks!

Although sadly home insurance not useful for individual watches > £15k (as you say above), a problem for me since being introduced to Patek. But, that's another 1st world problem. Glad you got your own issue sorted with no extra fuss/cost.

Blog Entries
    After much hunting and on another TZ thread - I can recommend AXA - single item limit £15K max, £30K total for valuables (including watches). That is away from home - be that your garden or S. America. So that covers my watches and cameras electronic toys etc. And premiums were less than my old insurers to.

(accidental damage included - so if you bash your Daytona into a brick wall - damage repair is covered).

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 17th May 2018 at 17:37.

Master
    Insure your home and car . Watches are toys, don't bother. In the unlikely event that you lose some, will it make a real difference to your life? Of course not.

This is a minority opinion! To put it mildly. But it suits me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    I'd try this too.

Most decent home policies can provide cover while away from the home and/or travelling. You have to be wearing it for most policies to kick in though (for example if you leave it somewhere like your hotel and it is stolen, some policies won't pay. Whereas if you're mugged wearing it, they will).
    At least in the USA, there are VERY low jewelry limits on standard homeowners policies (I think mine is around $1500). Decent coverage for an expensive watch requires a specific endorsement on your policy. UK insurance is less regulated than here, so you should at least look into it before deciding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Insure your home and car . Watches are toys, don't bother. In the unlikely event that you lose some, will it make a real difference to your life? Of course not.

This is a minority opinion! To put it mildly. But it suits me.
    Hard to do for the growing segment who view their watch collection as their retirement fund!

My home insurance covers items of any value provided they have a valid valuation if they are over £10k.
    Not that I will ever take a valuable watch abroad with me again....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    My home insurance covers items of any value provided they have a valid valuation if they are over £10k.
    Not that I will ever take a valuable watch abroad with me again....
    Again? Have you had a previous bad experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehase284 View Post
    Again? Have you had a previous bad experience?

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...of-watch-theft

Oh wow... the cheek of it is somewhat amazing, but I totally get your point now!

Journeyman
    I would ask if your home insurance will cover the itme firstly - if not i have used T H March when one of my home insurance wouldn't cover a certain watch.