closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 'Daytona' folly? From Alpha to Steinhart

'Daytona' folly? From Alpha to Steinhart

Easing my way back into this lark and have a 'Newman' Daytona itch. Obviously the real deal is unlikely unless I get lucky at a car boot. These Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Chronographs look most agreeable, anyone here have any thoughts, should I take the plunge?

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/c...tml?modell=135

Nice watches but quite thick. They sit very high on the wrist I believe.

Agreed, that's actually put me right off as I had a Sinn 103 once and that went due to thickness. May just have a pop at the £79 Gigandet on Amazon to get it out the system.
    The Steinhart GMT Ex 2 thingy also looks very nice btw.

Craftsman
    Tiger Concept do one that looks okay for a cheapy.

Master
    I'd hold fire and wait until Eddie has finalised this latest beauty
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...k-of-it-so-far

Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    There's a thread about a possible Smiths chronograph that's even nicer.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Looks lovely.

Now that is VERY moreish.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    There's a thread about a possible Smiths chronograph that's even nicer.
    Agreed. I'm still hoping that this will get released at some point.

Master
    The Steinhart Chrono is outrageously thick - it looks like two watches mounted on top of each other! Shame really as I really like it otherwise.

Master
    Why are all steinhart chronos so outrageously bulky? (I had the racetimer in brown - gorgeous but gargantuan) Is it simply too costly and awkward to fit chrono movements into smaller cases?

Master
    If you’re going to go for a ‘homage’ may as well get the Alpha as it’s cheap. It’s actually really nice for the money, just need to adjust the end links (as people moan about the rattle of the bracelet which I fixed in about 30 secs)

Mecaquartz chronos are much slimmer

Master
    If you want something that is exetremely faithful to the original the gevril TriBeCas are probably the way to go.
    Unfortunately they seem to be flying lately in terms of price and exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    This thread inspired me to try my Alpha on a NATO, liking it!

In defence of the Steinhart. It's in proportion if on the really good oem tapered bracelet. The end links go well with the watch case and make the chunkiness much less noticeable on my 7.5 inch wrist. The thickness is normal for a two module movement and after discounting the height of the domed sapphire it's not as thick as might be deduced from its measurements. I do like mine a lot (cream dial).

In defence of the Steinhart. It's in proportion if on the really good oem tapered bracelet. The end links go well with the watch case and make the chunkiness much less noticeable on my 7.5 inch wrist. The thickness is normal for a two module movement and after discounting the height of the domed sapphire it's not as thick as might be deduced from its measurements. I do like mine a lot (cream dial).

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Why are all steinhart chronos so outrageously bulky? (I had the racetimer in brown - gorgeous but gargantuan) Is it simply too costly and awkward to fit chrono movements into smaller cases?
    Indeed, at 18 mm, their Daytona knockoff is thicker than a real Deepsea.

It's certainly possible to fit a 7750 into a slimmer case, but not if you stack on a kludgey module to rearrange the subdials, a domed crystal, and a gee-whiz display back.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    If you’re going to go for a ‘homage’ may as well get the Alpha as it’s cheap. It’s actually really nice for the money, just need to adjust the end links (as people moan about the rattle of the bracelet which I fixed in about 30 secs)
    I fixed the Alpha PO "homage" strap issues by fitting a PO "homage" strap.

Master
    There are some Tudors that are affordable and not homage.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    If you want something that is exetremely faithful to the original the gevril TriBeCas are probably the way to go.
    I was going to suggest the same thing, especially if 12-hour measuring capability is important to the OP. And notwithstanding this, as lovely as Eddie's upcoming chronograph is, it's unlikely to itch a Daytona scratch.

Can someone provide a link to the Smiths chrono thread please?

A lame-o Daytona imitation is unlikely to scratch that itch, either.

Maybe consider the panda dial Long Beach by Aramar? I have one due to arrive next month from their Kickstarter campaign.

Review below:

https://monochrome-watches.com/arama...-review-price/

It doesn't scream Daytona (2 dials for a start!) but it does have that vintage chronograph vibe.
    Last edited by Steelgecko; 20th May 2018 at 11:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    A lame-o Daytona imitation is unlikely to scratch that itch, either.
    Depends how you look at it.

If it’s a certain look you want, yes it could.

If it’s the ‘cool’ factor of having a £80k Watch then obviously it won’t.

Let’s face it, the Paul Newman Daytona’s are far from actually worth what they’re selling for in terms of a sum of their parts. It’s just the fact they’ve been elevated to this level by Paul Newman himself, blogs, vlogs, the auction of ‘the’ daytona and dealers.

One thing that I do think is really silly is the fuss behind those gervil ones. They’re no ‘better’ in my eyes to my alpha as they’re a homage/rip off whatever you want to call it. But, again the online world has talked them up into some ‘second best’ to a Daytona! They’re not & a I’m not slaying them I’m just saying it’s ridiculous that they get into their social media fashion/must have and suddenly they’re cool.

I was watching a vid from some guy that sells vintage Rolex the other day & he had one to sell, normally he’d call crap on anything remotely resembling a Rolex (that wasn’t a Rolex) yet he was quite happy to talk it up to a level way beyond it’s true worth as he was selling it. Now it seems they’ve gained a following and people are paying silly money for them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Depends how you look at it.

If it’s a certain look you want, yes it could.

If it’s the ‘cool’ factor of having a £80k Watch then obviously it won’t.

Let’s face it, the Paul Newman Daytona’s are far from actually worth what they’re selling for in terms of a sum of their parts. It’s just the fact they’ve been elevated to this level by Paul Newman himself, blogs, vlogs, the auction of ‘the’ daytona and dealers.

One thing that I do think is really silly is the fuss behind those gervil ones. They’re no ‘better’ in my eyes to my alpha as they’re a homage/rip off whatever you want to call it. But, again the online world has talked them up into some ‘second best’ to a Daytona! They’re not & a I’m not slaying them I’m just saying it’s ridiculous that they get into their social media fashion/must have and suddenly they’re cool.

I was watching a vid from some guy that sells vintage Rolex the other day & he had one to sell, normally he’d call crap on anything remotely resembling a Rolex (that wasn’t a Rolex) yet he was quite happy to talk it up to a level way beyond it’s true worth as he was selling it. Now it seems they’ve gained a following and people are paying silly money for them.
    To be fair to them they are not a bad watch.
    Movement is the same used by the Speedmaster reduced. So that on its own ticks a few boxes.
    Quality wise they are probably on par or even better than the screw down Daytonas of that time.
    Ok, they are not Rolex but they look cool and let’s face it who is going to spend 350k for an “authentic” Paul newman?
    Compared to the Alpha, the movement is much better and so is the actual finish of the watch.
    Do they worth the 4K dealers are currently asking for them? Who knows?
    Do the Paul Newman’s worth the 350k?
    All is a bit subjective. To you they might not, to someone who has paid that price they probably do...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    To be fair to them they are not a bad watch.
    Movement is the same used by the Speedmaster reduced. So that on its own ticks a few boxes.
    Quality wise they are probably on par or even better than the screw down Daytonas of that time.
    Ok, they are not Rolex but they look cool and let’s face it who is going to spend 350k for an “authentic” Paul newman?
    Compared to the Alpha, the movement is much better and so is the actual finish of the watch.
    Do they worth the 4K dealers are currently asking for them? Who knows?
    Do the Paul Newman’s worth the 350k?
    All is a bit subjective. To you they might not, to someone who has paid that price they probably do...

Was more the principle I was talking, granted they’re a better watch in quality of movement compared to an alpha but I’m meaning no better in terms of provenance. They’re still a rip off of a Daytona successful because of everything they aren’t.

Based on their movement if they didn’t look like a copy of a Daytona, they’d be what? £800 or so?

What next? some pompous auctioneer ‘expert’ will be selling us a Gerbil that “Paul Newman’s stunt double wore”. And some must have will pay £20k for it.

Then I’ll be quids in when people move onto the alpha, They may reach £150 haha

But then there’s plenty of silly priced watches these days. Some of the old Heuers are crazy money for what they are.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    Maybe consider the panda dial Long Beach by Aramar? I have one due to arrive next month from their Kickstarter campaign.

Review below:

https://monochrome-watches.com/arama...-review-price/

It doesn't scream Daytona (2 dials for a start!) but it does have that vintage chronograph vibe.
    Nice watch, do you know if they're still available? The link on the kickstarter page is a dead link and I can't see any other way to order, I'm guessing they're all gone.

It would be intriguing if Ginault decide to do a Daytona clone. Their sub-a-like was certainly decent quality.

Quote Originally Posted by edfuller View Post
    Nice watch, do you know if they're still available? The link on the kickstarter page is a dead link and I can't see any other way to order, I'm guessing they're all gone.
    Www.aramar.nl

They were once a sister company to steinhart but broke up that relationship maybe 10 yrs ago. Still alive and kicking although much smaller than Steinhart. Send them an email

Master
    I was thinking the other day about Tudor’s recent successes with the GMT and BB58 being old school.

Imagine if they released a homage to the Paul Newman Daytona! They’d probably clean up.

Rolex never seem to go backwards but Tudor keep the heritage alive and I think it’d be incredible if they produced a Watch like it. People are paying loads for a gerbil now, they’d go potty for a Rolex sister brand version of a Paul Newman.

Still undecided but think Dan Henry needs to get on board.
    For me, a good Daytona clone should have a manual movement to keep it flat, most budget autos are just too thick.

I think the Tudor big block was their version of the Daytona. Certainly a different subdial layout but the comparisons have been drawn in the past by some.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I think the Tudor big block was their version of the Daytona. Certainly a different subdial layout but the comparisons have been drawn in the past by some.
    http://www.ponti-collection.ch/fr/ho...select&id=2495

Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Www.aramar.nl

They were once a sister company to steinhart but broke up that relationship maybe 10 yrs ago. Still alive and kicking although much smaller than Steinhart. Send them an email
    Interesting link Rusty, a limited edition Nautilus for €490 - a little bit cheaper than the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Interesting link Rusty, a limited edition Nautilus for €490 - a little bit cheaper than the real thing.
    And from the photos it looks great too! Only the clasp looks clumsy, the case, dial and bracelet look lovely. Go on Ken, you know you want to...

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    And from the photos it looks great too! Only the clasp looks clumsy, the case, dial and bracelet look lovely. Go on Ken, you know you want to...
    Can't, mustn't, shouldn't and won't. I have had a recent clearout in the last few weeks and have incoming at the back end of the week. That will have to be me for while.

Craftsman
    There's a few more suggestions for affordable Daytona alternatives in this article:

http://www.chronopolis.co.uk/blogs/n...na-chronograph

PN homage

I’ve recently developed the itch for a PN homage, and after hours of fun researching, I’m still not sure.

But this is my rough conclusions so far.

I think the best looking models are both the Gevril and original RXW from Ken Sato, but it’s difficult to justify spending that much dough, especially when you can buy an actual vintage Rolex for less.

I missed out on the Smiths Vanguard from Timefactors last year, this looks great but I think it might be a little too big, Limited to 50 so I think that might be off the cards - the reverse panda is still available.

Steinhart - looks great but again too big, especially the height.

Alpha - close to pulling the trigger but again it seems a bit too big, would also have long term concerns about the movement and crown - great value though.

Left with the Tiger concept, even though this is quartz it seems to have the best looking dial (not too wordy) and it’s size is closest to the original.

Think there’s plenty of space in the market for a smaller, thinner homage with a manual wind movement.
    Even if it is priced somewhere between the Steinhart and Gevril.

Jason