closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Availability

Rolex Availability

I am on holiday in America and went to Las Vegas there seems to be a Rolex shop in every hotel. The mention of SS sports brought a knowing laugh. One had nothing but Datejust/ Daydates the other had explorers and Yachtmaster in SS it seems there is a bit of a supply issue stateside as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    You state this like a universal truth but that isn’t the case everywhere. I bought a GMT, then a Sub and currently awaiting Pepsi GMT from the same AD. All SS and ‘waiting list’ watches. No other purchase history with them.
    I agree. My experience is get a foot in the door at the AD and all the lists open up. I patiently waited to get the Sub (first purchase), now I'm on the list for a Daytona and the SD43 - didn't even have to ask, just chatting to the managers. It perhaps helped me that I was wearing the watch they sold me on subsequent visits, so they know I'm an enthusiast and not flipping for profit.

The 'relationship' thing isn't total bollocks - in my experience the Rolex AD managers a) own several Rolex's and have a passion for horology, and b) actually like selling to people who they can have a decent conversation with.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    I agree. My experience is get a foot in the door at the AD and all the lists open up. I patiently waited to get the Sub (first purchase), now I'm on the list for a Daytona and the SD43 - didn't even have to ask, just chatting to the managers. It perhaps helped me that I was wearing the watch they sold me on subsequent visits, so they know I'm an enthusiast and not flipping for profit.

The 'relationship' thing isn't total bollocks - in my experience the Rolex AD managers a) own several Rolex's and have a passion for horology, and b) actually like selling to people who they can have a decent conversation with.
    This was very much my experience when I bought my first Rolex (Hulk) a year ago. The manager could see I was a serious buyer and simply sourced me the watch I wanted - simple. He’s now on my LinkedIn and we message now and then which is great for when I choose to perhaps sell and trade sideways or up.

Master
    It perhaps helped me that I was wearing the watch they sold me on subsequent visits, so they know I'm an enthusiast and not flipping for profit.
    Yes, I make the effort to remember and wear a watch bought from them when visiting. Except once when they requested I wear a specific watch on the next visit as they hadn’t seen it in the flesh before.

Agreed - it helps. I’ve had interesting conversations and I don’t even know the technicalities of horology. However, I have found Omega people genuinely more enthusiastic about the subject ... just my experience.

From what I was told yesterday it seems things are changing and the power over who is deemed worthy is being taken over by Rolex themselves. I was told that one central London AD was told that a steel Skydweller was in with the next delivery and Rolex requested details of the buyer. The AD handed over the details and informed the buyer, who had been on the waiting list for over a year, and had an excellent relationship with them having spent tens of thousands, although not on Rolex. Rolex told the AD that under no circumstances were they to sell the Skydweller to the buyer as he hadn’t purchased enough Rolex from them. The AD pleaded the case stating the relationship that they had with the buyer but Rolex wouldn’t budge. Cue a very embarrassing call from the AD to the buyer and the AD is now worried that he’ll lose one of his best customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    From what I was told yesterday it seems things are changing and the power over who is deemed worthy is being taken over by Rolex themselves. I was told that one central London AD was told that a steel Skydweller was in with the next delivery and Rolex requested details of the buyer. The AD handed over the details and informed the buyer, who had been on the waiting list for over a year, and had an excellent relationship with them having spent tens of thousands, although not on Rolex. Rolex told the AD that under no circumstances were they to sell the Skydweller to the buyer as he hadn’t purchased enough Rolex from them. The AD pleaded the case stating the relationship that they had with the buyer but Rolex wouldn’t budge. Cue a very embarrassing call from the AD to the buyer and the AD is now worried that he’ll lose one of his best customers.
    This can cut both ways. A local AD once received notification of the allocation of a stainless steel Daytona with the instruction that this was specifically for me!

Master
    Ridiculous! If Rolex think they can pick and choose who the end purchaser is over the AD, as a prospective customer I would happily suggest they stick their watches where the sun doesn’t shine and buy a different brand. Or do other manufacturers behave in the same high handed way?

On the assumption that Rolex still make as many SS watches as they did say 3 years ago, where are the watches going? I don’t think any AD in the world currently has any subs on display in the window. Are they going straight to customers on lists?

Why don’t Rolex increase production, reduce waiting times to say 6 months, satisfy customers, increase turnover and profits?

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    On the assumption that Rolex still make as many SS watches as they did say 3 years ago, where are the watches going? I don’t think any AD in the world currently has any subs on display in the window. Are they going straight to customers on lists?

Why don’t Rolex increase production, reduce waiting times to say 6 months, satisfy customers, increase turnover and profits?
    Ok let's - just for the sake of argument - assume that Rolex is not deliberately restricting the supply of SS models (And there is a strong case for this I fully appreciate).

But...

Do you realise that market demand has massively grown in the easy-credit years since 2010, including the exponential rise of a Chinese middle class who have access to credit that did not exist even ten years ago?

And do you also realise that scaling up production while maintaining the same level of quality (even when taking resources from other production areas) is incredibly difficult and that there is a lag between demand and supply catching up?

Simply suggesting Rolex increase SS production does not recognise the engineering, material and logistical challenges faced in luxury finished goods manufacturing where demand increases significantly.

Journeyman
    I dont see grey market dealers as a bad thing. It is supply and demand. If all you want is sport Rolex models and dont want to wait pay a premium. I have bought several watches other than Rolex at great discounts from the grey market. You can try to build a relationship with a Rolex AD buying stuff you dont really want or you can buy your other brands from the grey dealers shopping around for the best discounts and put the savings on those into a Rolex over RRP. I even got a non sports Rolex model from a grey at a much better discount than I could get from an AD.

Master
    Ok let's - just for the sake of argument - assume that Rolex is not deliberately restricting the supply of SS models (And there is a strong case for this I fully appreciate).

But...
    This is the wrong assumption.

Master
    I've got one Datejust, which I enjoy. I won't be buying any more Rolexes so I no longer care about all the tedious nonsense.

Craftsman

Sports Rolex desire.

It has been mentioned throughout many threads that Rolex cannot meet demand for the Sports range and somehow cannot up their production rates but they seem to manage to churn out the datejusts, Cellini and the oyster perpetual mid range easily enough and fill up every AD window in the country with these in abundant quantities.

Why is there such a desire to own a Rolex sports, I doubt most buyers will dive to 300meters or 4000ft, will go Splunking with their Explorers or TimeZone pilot style with a GMT. For a brand which is so much in demand here in the UK, the vast numbers of datejusts, Yachtmaster etc languishing in AD windows and which I would assume available at a discount currently from an AD would surely satisfy the Rolex need.

So why then are most buyers only concerned with getting a sports model and not one of the abundant other models.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Why is there such a desire to own a Rolex sports, I doubt most buyers wil... TimeZone pilot style with a GMT.
    Being able to time a second and third time zone is incredibly helpful for anyone who either works with people in other parts of the world or travels frequently. That's a lot of people.

Yes I have my trusty GMT 2c with Pacific tz so I know whats happening back home.

Craftsman

Desire

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Being able to time a second and third time zone is incredibly helpful for anyone who either works with people in other parts of the world or travels frequently. That's a lot of people.

Appreciate the usefulness of a TimeZone function but nearly every brand has a TimeZone function model within their range, why does it have to be the Rolex sports model which is desired and must haved.

As it incorporates the same function as many other brands of a TimeZone function watch or with the Submariner, the dive function of which there are numerous alternatives, why the Rolex option.

Plenty of opinions and ideas but it looks like only Rolex have the answers and they don’t currently seem inclined or able to satisfy consumer demand.

Master
    Appreciate the usefulness of a TimeZone function but nearly every brand has a TimeZone function model within their range, why does it have to be the Rolex sports model which is desired and must haved.
    The GMT2 has a jumping hour hand, which allows on the fly changes without resetting the second's hand. ETA based GMTs don't operate in that way, though the new Tudor does.

Since you genuinely don't seem to understand why people want to buy a Rolex, I'll spell it out a little more explicitly. They're well made, don't require frequent services (in my experience), aren't enormously too-large, and don't look terrible. I don't care for modern Rolex watches, but nearly every comparable watch is either stupid looking, not in-house, or too large for me.

Rolex might be playing a rationing game, and people are buying because of FOMO. However, there is absolutely NOT a huge market of watches that look better, operate better, wear better, and come with a similar level of after-sales service as a Rolex. Modern watch design (including Rolex) sucks for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBanks View Post
    This is the wrong assumption.
    The wrong assumption is to quote only a part of someone's post when they are making a point that the deliberate restriction is not the sole reason for scarcity.

Demand is as important as supply when creating a sense of scarcity in luxury goods. And it is also true that if demand is high enough, supply takes time to catch up even where desirable. Or is Tesla deliberately not producing enough cars?

Craftsman

Rolex sports

The GMT2 has a jumping hour hand, which allows on the fly changes without resetting the second's hand. ETA based GMTs don't operate in that way, though the new Tudor does.

Since you genuinely don't seem to understand why people want to buy a Rolex, I'll spell it out a little more explicitly. They're well made, don't require frequent services (in my experience), aren't enormously too-large, and don't look terrible. I don't care for modern Rolex watches, but nearly every comparable watch is either stupid looking, not in-house, or too large for me.

Rolex might be playing a rationing game, and people are buying because of FOMO. However, there is absolutely NOT a huge market of watches that look better, operate better, wear better, and come with a similar level of after-sales service as a Rolex. Modern watch design (including Rolex) sucks for the most part.
    Rolex i understand is the top selling watch brand here in the Uk and their quality standards are never in dispute but I am asking why, with Rolex producing so many quality models throughout the range is there a desire within many that their Rolex on wrist has to be one of the sports range and not one of the equally well made datejusts etc. I do not come across many thread discussing the must have datejusts or Cellini, always seems to be the Sports range.

Is it simply that they are a recognisable wrist presence and buyers want that recognition that maybe a datejusts or perpetual does not offer. Is it all about the wrist Flash.

Master
    The wrong assumption is to quote only a part of someone's post when they are making a point that the deliberate restriction is not the sole reason for scarcity.

Demand is as important as supply when creating a sense of scarcity in luxury goods. And it is also true that if demand is high enough, supply takes time to catch up even where desirable. Or is Tesla deliberately not producing enough cars?
    I don't know about Tesla, but working in the watch industry, I've spent the last week in La Chaux de Fonds on business, and anyone you speak to inside the industry will tell you it's a known fact that Rolex restricts the supply of it's popular stainless steel sports watches. I don't know why this subject is still up for discussion on forums.

I don't know about Tesla, but working in the watch industry, I've spent the last week in La Chaux de Fonds on business, and anyone you speak to inside the industry will tell you it's a known fact that Rolex restricts the supply of it's popular stainless steel sports watches. I don't know why this subject is still up for discussion on forums.
    Indeed I believe they do, so I agree. But it's not the sole contributing factor.

Master
    Rolex i understand is the top selling watch brand here in the Uk and their quality standards are never in dispute but I am asking why, with Rolex producing so many quality models throughout the range is there a desire within many that their Rolex on wrist has to be one of the sports range and not one of the equally well made datejusts etc. I do not come across many thread discussing the must have datejusts or Cellini, always seems to be the Sports range.

Is it simply that they are a recognisable wrist presence and buyers want that recognition that maybe a datejusts or perpetual does not offer. Is it all about the wrist Flash.
    I see your point. I own a bunch of Rolex references and none of them are a DJ. Why? Because the current DJs are either too big (DJ41) too ugly (DJ2) or occupy a weird pseudo dress watch niche that doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather wear a real dress watch than a DJ. Regarding being recognizable, a two tone DJ or yellow gold DD (both with fluted bezels) are probably the two most ROLEX watches a person could by.

People don't by Cellini because they're pretty terrible. There's always something wrong with them. They're either OK sized and ugly, or nice looking and really big. I wish Rolex would release a Cellini that didn't suck, because I'd love to have Patek Calatrava looks with Rolex robustness and service quality.

Master
    The current Cellini is 39mm and slim. Screw-down crown, robust movement, and very elegant. The level of prejudice against it on forums borders on the absurd. Especially as virtually none of these people have any experience of them.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The current Cellini is 39mm and slim. Screw-down crown, robust movement, and very elegant. The level of prejudice against it on forums borders on the absurd. Especially as virtually none of these people have any experience of them.
    Funny.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    They're either OK sized and ugly, or nice looking and really big.
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    39mm is large for a dress watch with no complications. It's way too large for me. There's a guy on here with one, perhaps you, who has a large wrist and big hand - it looks nice on him. A more normally sized wrist? Not to my taste. Of course there are people who wear a DSSD formally so...

A screw down crown and oyster case on a dress watch is unnecessary. You're not going to take it swimming.

I liked the reintroduced Prince model, but that was a really chunky dress watch. Cellini is an "almost there" brand. Maybe they will figure it out eventually and manage to produce an enduring design that people actually want to buy.

Master
    And do you believe that this is true..? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    And do you believe that this is true..? :D
    100%, from a jeweller who I have a very good relationship with who happens to be the brother of the AD concerned.

Craftsman

Unbelievable

I wandered into Greggs yesterday and asked if they had any sausage rolls, they asked if I had bought from them before or was on the list for a in demand Cheese bake, I replied No.

They refused to sell me the sausage roll because I had not bought enough donuts from them.

Yes, the above is tongue in cheek but seriously, what is happening with Rolex at the moment, whether with the AD nonsense of having to establish a relationship ( spend lots of money with them) just to be afforded the possible chance of acquiring a Sports model and now this supposed action of Rolex intervening on who gets what.

Nobody ever wishes for a recession to hit and the boom goes bust but when you here of this nonsense you do think it would be good to let the AD’s and Rolex etc remember that no one has to buy one of their watches to survive and a slump in sales and profit might make them remember how to treat potential buyers, Old and new.

Farcical.
    Last edited by Flasher; 19th May 2018 at 10:00. Reason: Misprint

I think you are correct in that, with perhaps a slight qualifier that the datejusts may have the perception of being 'older gentlemens' watches, and not fit in with the Rolex buyer's perception of themselves?

Master
    I honestly think that 99% + don’t know and don’t care what we wear on our wrists. The sub may be recognisable to those in the know, but most people that think Rolex will think something shiny with a fluted bezel.

The sports models have commanded better residuals than most for a long time, and that for some serial flippers will be enough to make them want one - much greater losses can be had moving on datejusts and the like after short ownerships.

For me, I wear what I enjoy and don’t give two hoots what anyone else thinks.

I find it very hard to believe that Rolex is the top selling watch brand in the UK, by value maybe, by quantity, surely not.
    And I think the reason that 'sports' Rolex are so desirable is the 'investment' potential and very strong resale, you literally have nothing to lose buying one, unlike the other models in the Rolex range.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman

But...

Do you realise that market demand has massively grown in the easy-credit years since 2010, including the exponential rise of a Chinese middle class who have access to credit that did not exist even ten years ago?

And do you also realise that scaling up production while maintaining the same level of quality (even when taking resources from other production areas) is incredibly difficult and that there is a lag between demand and supply catching up?

Simply suggesting Rolex increase SS production does not recognise the engineering, material and logistical challenges faced in luxury finished goods manufacturing where demand increases significantly.
    Agreed.

100%, from a jeweller who I have a very good relationship with who happens to be the brother of the AD concerned.
    Ahh, you heard it from a jewellers cousins, brothers auntie who knows a man in Geneva who’s sleeping with the manager of a bakery across the road from an AD who sells IWC but knows a woman who was sleeping with the brother of a man who sweeps the floor in the Rolex factory?

So your info is third hand?? 😂

Master
    Passing through both Geneva and Zurich Airport today, they had air king, milgauss, explorer 1, skydweller twotone.

The rest was all daydate and cellini and datejust...

I acted dumb and asked about the pepsi gmt but neither of them had seen one yet.

Both claimed they get very little professional models at the moment. But who knows, may just be that they're all presold already.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post

So your info is third hand?? 
    I believe it because the source is very reliable. It is also only a small step up from what is known and accepted to be happening. Whether or not you choose to believe it is completely up to you and doesn’t concern me in the slightest.

I believe it because the source is very reliable. It is also only a small step up from what is known and accepted to be happening. Whether or not you choose to believe it is completely up to you and doesn’t concern me in the slightest.
    Good for you 👏🏻👏🏻

Regardless, you’re no more in the know than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Good for you 

Regardless, you’re no more in the know than anyone else.
    Maybe not, but I was told some information which I thought might be of interest to the people of this forum and decided to pass it on. Surely that is the whole purpose of this forum, and particularly these kinds of threads.

Maybe not, but I was told some information which I thought might be of interest to the people of this forum and decided to pass it on. Surely that is the whole purpose of this forum, and particularly these kinds of threads.
    Indeed, but your information is no more reliable to us than any other info. Everyone seems to have heard from a mate who’s brothers an AD.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I find it very hard to believe that Rolex is the top selling watch brand in the UK, by value maybe, by quantity, surely not.
    To be specific, the top twenty best selling watches priced over £5,000 in the UK, by number, are all Rolex models - every one.

Master
    Not if you have not been here for less than 10 years, joined the higher inner circle of the BP having lost the title of " suspicious newbie" and have accused at least 25 others of having a dual identity.

Once you have done this, you can say anything thing and you will be hailed as a genius. Until then, you is just temporary trash and no one will believe a word you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Not if you have not been here for less than 10 years, joined the higher inner circle of the BP having lost the title of " suspicious newbie" and have accused at least 25 others of having a dual identity.

Once you have done this, you can say anything thing and you will be hailed as a genius. Until then, you is just temporary trash and no one will believe a word you say.
    But as you haven’t been here for ten years Mick, you is still just temporary trash!

Come to think of it, so am I. So who do you believe? I’m confused now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    But as you haven’t been here for ten years Mick, you is still just temporary trash!

Come to think of it, so am I. So who do you believe? I’m confused now.
    I is more temporary trash than you.

It's down to you to work out if I have just insulted you or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I is more temporary trash than you.

It's down to you to work out if I have just insulted you or not.
    It’s too complicated; I’m going fir a lie down!

Craftsman

Maybe they don’t have enough production capacity ?

I get that restricting supply can create demand but when that restriction reaches the stage where my local AD has closed its list for the Daytona as it is over 10 years long, I’m no longer interested. Rolex’s policy of restriction means I can’t physically buy the watch from my local AD, who I have bought from before. In my instance, Rolex have killed my demand for the watch. To me that does not appear to be good business.

However Rolex is a big organization and won’t worry about me nor failing to be able to supply me with their product. My money will go elsewhere to perhaps Zenith.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    Maybe they don’t have enough production capacity ?
    If they don’t, they may consider investing in increasing their capacity or see if they can use the YM, DJ, Cellini production lines to make a few more SS models. Plenty of businesses find ways of increasing production.

Master
    If they don’t, they may consider investing in increasing their capacity or see if they can use the YM, DJ, Cellini production lines to make a few more SS models. Plenty of businesses find ways of increasing production.

Question is do they want to? They're not publicly traded and can do what they want, as such, they may have a 10+ year perspective on things... The watch industry was in dire straits just a year ago, and the same can easily happen again...

Yes they could abolish Cellini and free up some production space, but that's probably a matter of pride more than anything...

Master
    No disrespect but along with others I just do not believe that at all. Not doubting you, just what you’ve been told.

Master
    I get that restricting supply can create demand but when that restriction reaches the stage where my local AD has closed its list for the Daytona as it is over 10 years long, I’m no longer interested. Rolex’s policy of restriction means I can’t physically buy the watch from my local AD, who I have bought from before. In my instance, Rolex have killed my demand for the watch. To me that does not appear to be good business.

However Rolex is a big organization and won’t worry about me nor failing to be able to supply me with their product. My money will go elsewhere to perhaps Zenith.
    Despite being an absolute through and through Rolex fan whose watch addiction was caused by a Rolex and has been rekindled by Rolexes many times over the years, I can very much relate to this. It's just getting irritating now. On the upside (for me at least, if not my bank account) I am finding the precious metal ones more appealing these days anyway. Pepsi in steel, yeah fine. Root beer in rose... Now you're talking! 😍