closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: England Squad. OPTIMISTIC thread.

Southgate needs to show some intent with his young team and get confidence as high as possible. I think we should be going out to blow away Tunisia and Panama. None of that ‘let’s not get beat’ rubbish.

I can see this tournament go either way in that we go out early as the younguns dont step up or we go further than expected as other teams are not familiar with our players and how to stop us playing.

Supporting a team that has been out of the prem for 5 years i am not too familiar with who is going to score.
    Are we very dependent on kane going on a run?

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    I can see this tournament go either way in that we go out early as the younguns dont step up or we go further than expected as other teams are not familiar with our players and how to stop us playing.

Supporting a team that has been out of the prem for 5 years i am not too familiar with who is going to score.
    Are we very dependent on kane going on a run?

No, we have several players capable of putting the ball in the back of the net but no doubt our media will put all kinds of unnecessary pressure on him to be our last great hope in the WC. We actually have a decent squad the concern will be how they cope up against a team who plays keep ball or a defensive game that chokes the life out of our creative players especially if they go a goal down early.

Thank for the update.
    I had the impression that we are not to great defensively.

Let's see... optimism...

Looks like the weather will be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    No, we have several players capable of putting the ball in the back of the net but no doubt our media will put all kinds of unnecessary pressure on him to be our last great hope in the WC. We actually have a decent squad the concern will be how they cope up against a team who plays keep ball or a defensive game that chokes the life out of our creative players especially if they go a goal down early.
    I personally think we have a slight issue with scoring goals. That is why I'd be hesitant with starting with Sterling - his record for Country isn't great. To help with goals we need to be better at set pieces. One interesting thing was how good Alexander Arnold is at taking free kicks and the likes. Miles better than the others. Overall the squad is ok and our system means we won't concede many.

On the Dier/Henderson debate - I'd go Henderson, he seems to have a better array of long dissecting passing compared to Dier who is much more defensive focused.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The squad leaves for Russia today. I wish them well.

Journeyman
    It's coming home!

Still gutted Wilshere didn't make the cut, would like to see RLC get some more playing time as he is quality.

Here’s optimism for you
    £5 on Razzer getting top scorer @ 100-1
    Nailed on

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Here’s optimism for you
    Nailed on
    Nah, no way are England going to create the 200 scoring opportunities he'd need to score 7 goals :)

Blog Entries
    Here’s optimism for you
    Nailed on
    Give it up Lee…. For the love of god haven’t you lost enough money on the back for that boys (lack of) performance?!!!

Craftsman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will remain reasonably optimistic following last night’s game as long as Sterling doesn’t play again this tournament. Last night he showed everything I’ve ever said about him; terrible in front of goal, runs down blind alleys, can’t cross a ball and worst of all he gave the ball away or lost possession every time he got the ball. He’s an utter liability and cannot play again in Russia.

I thought Stones and Walker were excellent and Henderson played well in a very unselfish role. Rashford showed more quality, intent and ability in fifteen minutes than Sterling did all game. Rashford must start from now.

Maguire was average but clearly has ability and will grow into the role and the team. Alli was poor again for England.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 19th June 2018 at 09:34.

Master
    Alli and Sterling can warm the bench for the next 5 weeks for me thanks. Pity, because Sterling has started to show promise for the international side but yesterday he floundered.

Fantastic start to the campaign, but why on earth couldn't they keep up the momentum from the first half? There was an awful lot of halfway line tippy-tappy arsing about in the second - fine for friendlies but we are on the main stage now! The next England player to pass the ball BACKWARDS while in their own half should be strung from the floodlights as an example to the rest. Get the ball to the front, trust your attacking midfielders to get it in the box and the forwards to put it in the net.

Rashford looks like the key to this for me, he needed a more central role yesterday instead of being confined to the wing, put him in the centre with the ball at his feet and magic will happen.

Kane is going to be dangerous now he has two under his belt, not as much pressure to prove his form.

The result didn't reflect the game I fear - we played Tunisia off the pitch, they were scrappy at times and downright dirty at others, but a strong defense and a couple of good saves kept their spirits up. England are to blame for the scoreline though, there were a couple of absolute sitters which were criminal to miss.

Good result, hard fought but well deserved. Panama should be a walk in the park leaving England V's belgium to decide the group winner and runner up. If we draw they'll take it on goal difference.

Master
    As far as I'm concerned, Ashley Young can sit alongside Sterling on the bench. What happened to his desire to run at people and attack down the wing???? Nobody was as guilty as Young last night when it came to passing the ball backwards. Soooooo frustrating, I used to love to watch him play.

Some of the poor performance is likely due to nerves. Given the weak opposition next time round, I'd start Sterling giving him a last chance to impress. Southgate will want to see goals - I'd be setting a target of at least 3.

I would like to see Delph instead of Alli, I think he plays better in that deeper role than Alli does. Young was really poor but lets put that down to a bad game. We don't want to chop and change too much and I don't think Southgate will do that either.

The good :
    the result
    a 20minute spell in first half
    Kane is looking sharp.

the bad:
    The slowing of the game down in the second half was obvious to see so why didnt some of the players try to up the pace?
    Leaving ali on so long even though he was struggling.
    Even if hes important you dont want to make the injury worse.
    Some of the poor defending seemed basic at times a decent team would of capitilised and beat us.

Still its the first game and hopefully we will play our selves into the tournament.

Craftsman
    Lingard had an off day for finishing but got himself into the right places many times. Keep him in for the next and hopefully goals will come.
    Sterling was poor. We were much better with Rashford.
    Ashley Young was poor and negative. Get rid.
    Alli was injured and not performing. Loftus-Cheek did well so use him.
    Walker needs CB training. Dier would be better (and he has forgotten the role) use Cahill.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mangoosian; 19th June 2018 at 21:44.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I will remain reasonably optimistic following last night’s game as long as Sterling doesn’t play again this tournament. Last night he showed everything I’ve ever said about him; terrible in front of goal, runs down blind alleys, can’t cross a ball and worst of all he gave the ball away or lost possession every time he got the ball. He’s an utter liability and cannot play again in Russia.

I thought Stones and Walker were excellent and Henderson played well in a very unselfish role. Rashford showed more quality, intent and ability in fifteen minutes than Sterling did all game. Rashford must start from now.

Maguire was average but clearly has ability and will grow into the role and the team. Alli was poor again for England.
    Thank goodness that somebody with an inkling is picking the team then. It's fairly obvious you had made up your mind about Sterling before a ball was kicked. I'd imagine that you probably enjoyed his struggle yesterday despite him playing in an unfamiliar role and dropping deep to receive the ball with his back to goal. Despite his decent start and a role in England's dominant display, the game changed dramatically when Alli was injured but chose to continue, slowing the play down . He kept plugging away, generally with two or three Tunisians around him.
    Raheem was poor yesterday, but was he any worse than Lingard? Alli? Young ? Even Rashford when he came on kept giving the ball away. Loftus Cheek was far more productive and dangerous but all the armchair pundits choose to look at Rashfords performance.
    Just to echo your thoughts though, I too would love Raheem not to play again in this tournament. He might need his strength to defend his PL trophy next season.

^^^^I’m sorry but you’re deluded. Every single football fan I’ve spoken to agrees that he’s an absolute liability. He offered nothing last night as per usual. He’s completely ineffective all the time. You’re never going to see it but the rest of the country does.

^^^^I’m sorry but you’re deluded. Every single football fan I’ve spoken to agrees that he’s an absolute liability. He offered nothing last night as per usual. He’s completely ineffective all the time. You’re never going to see it but the rest of the country does.
    Could you point out my delusion?
    Was it the bit where I said Raheem was poor perhaps ?

Master
    Could you point out my delusion?
    Was it the bit where I said Raheem was poor perhaps ?

He's been good in the last couple of friendlies I've seen him play (good against Nigeria despite a card, I can't remember him playing at Costa Rica?) but he was poo against Tunisia last night. That sitter he missed was shocking, at this level we need those.

Should he be dropped? Probably not, everyone has a bad game, but now there is added pressure to prove he belongs there. I love him at City but he can't find his sweet-spot in the England side.

Master
    Wow!

Record breaking day. Showing our class and totally embarrassing a lesser team.
    This game is going to do fantastic things for our confidence!

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    He's been good in the last couple of friendlies I've seen him play (good against Nigeria despite a card, I can't remember him playing at Costa Rica?) but he was poo against Tunisia last night. That sitter he missed was shocking, at this level we need those.

Should he be dropped? Probably not, everyone has a bad game, but now there is added pressure to prove he belongs there. I love him at City but he can't find his sweet-spot in the England side.
    Anonymous again today, even against poor opposition. Not opinion, just fact. Second touch is always a tackle, missed another sitter and no heart in the tackle.

Edit - missed another he should have scored with. Maybe Southgate played him today so that, if he doesn’t play well against Panama, he’s out.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 24th June 2018 at 14:41.

Anonymous again today, even against poor opposition. Not opinion, just fact. Second touch is always a tackle, missed another sitter and no heart in the tackle.

Edit - missed another he should have scored with. Maybe Southgate played him today so that, if he doesn’t play well against Panama, he’s out.

I thought sterlings header was a difficult one being too central.
    But again he doesnt offer enough overall so rashford for me against belgium.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Wow!

Record breaking day. Showing our class and totally embarrassing a lesser team.
    This game is going to do fantastic things for our confidence!
    Yes it was great for the attacking part of the team but defensively again some basic errors and losing a marker for their goal.
    Its that which will cost us against a good team.

We scored early today which was important.

Cautious optimism at the moment and a more informed opinion can be formed post the belgium game.

Sterling just panics in the final third, need someone with a calm calculating finishing head for the bigger games - Rashford or Vardy

Today looks great on paper but I would like to see more in play goals, too much passing at the back and hitting it long bypassing the midfielders, perhaps their holding back a bit for what's to come but that Panama team was ripe for cutting open with fast play and passing.

Still not moaning as its a result, be interesting to see if we have more passing and faster movement against Belgium though as they will push us..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Sterling just panics in the final third, need someone with a calm calculating finishing head for the bigger games - Rashford or Vardy

Today looks great on paper but I would like to see more in play goals, too much passing at the back and hitting it long bypassing the midfielders, perhaps their holding back a bit for what's to come but that Panama team was ripe for cutting open with fast play and passing.

Still not moaning as its a result, be interesting to see if we have more passing and faster movement against Belgium though as they will push us..

Belgium will attack us, meaning they have more players forward which will give us more freedom for the long-ball to the back, which Henderson does to perfection. Bear in mind, so far we've played two teams who have been lucky to go to Russia, neither were aggressive attacking sides, they've spent 75% of the games defending against us and made us hold the midfield rather than push deep and stalk their area (though again, the back-passing from Young in game 1 was very negative play)

I see it as a high scoring game since both teams are already guaranteed through and there is no pressure to win the group (with respect to whoever qualifies in group H, I'm not especially worried about facing any of them in the last 16).

As long as we are given some freedom in the box we should be ok. Tunisia and Panama have been total filth when our players try to carve out some space in the box. Belgium are head and shoulders above them in terms of quality but they know how to play football (i.e. with their feet, not wrestling players to the ground to deny a shot). I see that as an advantage for us.

Say what you like about Sterling but his work rate today was excellent, he was unlucky not to get on the end of anything.
    Anyone else think Kane has been a bit lucky so far? Excellent late header to beat Tunisia, but his other 4 have been two penalties, a rebounded header which anyone would have knocked in, and one off his heel that he didn't even know about until the ref told him he'd scored.

Hey I'll take goals however they come, but I want to see Kane score a screaming free kick, or a really well executed strike from open play - not sitters and penalties. Golden boot? Maybe. Goal of the tournament? Not even in the top 20 yet.

[QUOTE Anyone else think Kane has been a bit lucky so far? Excellent late header to beat Tunisia, but his other 4 have been two penalties, a rebounded header which anyone would have knocked in, and one off his heel that he didn't even know about until the ref told him he'd scored.

Hey I'll take goals however they come, but I want to see Kane score a screaming free kick, or a really well executed strike from open play - not sitters and penalties. Golden boot? Maybe. Goal of the tournament? Not even in the top 20 yet.[/QUOTE]

the rebound header he sniffed out the space like a proper goal poacher ala lineker.

The 2 penalties were well taken and a flukey goal with his heal.

Yes lucky but he is making his own luck as well.

Linyard? goal was close to a goal of the tournament goal though :)
    Tight space, outside the box and curled around the goalie very nice.

Craftsman
    Super Harry Kane!!! (I’ve got £20 at 16/1 for golden boot) He’s one of our own.

There are some miserable buggers here. England win their first two games and score 8 goals and conceded 2. Yes it's opposition was a bit weak in Global football terms, but Tunisia was the highest rated African Country and Panama drew against Wales and only lost 1-0 against Denmark. So not exactly mugs.

So why not just enjoy the moment?

Do I think they can win - of course not, however can we get through to the quarters yes. If so surely that should been seen as a sucess. The game against Belgium will be a better test, but it's the one after that that really counts - Senegal or Japan. And to be honest I fancy our chances against either of them.

Actually it's been an excellent weekend for English sport. Football win, Cricket win (5.0 whitewash against the Aussies), F1 win, Rugby Union win (against SA), Rugby League win (against NZ).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I thought that an impressive display against a poorly disciplined side. I'm surprised there wasn't a red card for some of the antics of Panama in the first half. One thing that is a concern though for me is our defense, I think teams of higher quality will be able to pick holes quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I thought that an impressive display against a poorly disciplined side. I'm surprised there wasn't a red card for some of the antics of Panama in the first half. One thing that is a concern though for me is our defense, I think teams of higher quality will be able to pick holes quite easily.
    Agreed. Although to be fair our defence hasn’t been properly put under pressure yet to test it.

Panama’s antics were pretty reprehensible, and I was impressed that our lads stayed disciplined and didn’t respond in kind.

I’d have to say that Panama thoroughly deserved the humiliation they received. Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving team.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I’m quietly gaining in confidence with this squad and also a manager who when appointed I’ll admit I rolled my eyes and thought here we go again!

The discipline they have shown under the attack of Panama fouls is something we haven’t had in past tournaments.

IMO though we will not learn much from the Belgium game now as this is a dead rubber and one Martinez has said he is resting and rotating for.

Bit more cause for some optimism now! Though I’m missing fingernails and shaking needing more beer! COME ON ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿!!

Brilliant! Nail biting penalties but a brilliant result.

Happy that pickford got a boost with the penalties and the stop in extra time.
    Still unsure about his normal saves being pushed out in to danger.

Still also a bit concerned with walker and right centreback has made a couple of bad errors over the 3 games.

Great to finally get over the psychological barrier of penalty shootouts. Even hendersons penalty was pretty good if a little high.
    No more balloon it over the bar from our lot.

Sweden should be an easier game but hope we score first as they can defend.