closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Landscaping

Master

Landscaping

Hi all,
    We are looking to get some landscaping done at our house, and due to it being a popular time of year it is proving almost impossible to even get a landscaper round to quote let alone getting the work done in a reasonable timeframe. Most don’t even reply to email or phone messages! I have however found one company, but I have nothing to compare their quote to so I was hoping the collective wisdom of this forum could weigh in :)
    Summary of work:
    1. remove old decking (35sqm), 11 fence panels and posts, railway sleeper retaining wall (7m * 0.4m high) and dispose with
    2. new breezeblock retaining wall with stone facing
    3. new limestone patio (35sqm)
    4. Install 11 new fence panels, concrete posts and gravel boards
    5. New water feature, 1.5m * 0.8m

The stone we want comes to around £2k and they are quoting £6k costs so £8k all in. Does that sound reasonable? We are in NE London.

Picture of the limestone paving and wall covering we are going for attached (hopefully)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by stuie-t; 16th May 2018 at 13:04.

No idea, but doubt anyone could help based on that photo!

I'm no landscaper but based on what you've said and what I've had done in the past that feels like
    It's in the right area. Loads of variables but I guessed at £5-7k before I'd read your price.

Craftsman
    The price sounds in the right ballpark, although as said there are many variables.

One thing I would say: I work for a landscaping products manufacturer and by this time of year the good installers already have their order books full for the summer. I'm not saying the company you are considering are good/bad/indifferent but there may be a reason they have spare capacity. Might be worth trying to find some reviews or ask for reference jobs that you can look at.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No idea, but doubt anyone could help based on that photo!
    I figured out how to upload a better one now :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    The price sounds in the right ballpark, although as said there are many variables.

One thing I would say: I work for a landscaping products manufacturer and by this time of year the good installers already have their order books full for the summer. I'm not saying the company you are considering are good/bad/indifferent but there may be a reason they have spare capacity. Might be worth trying to find some reviews or ask for reference jobs that you can look at.
    This is good advice.

Don't be the guy to eat in the empty restaurant!

Yes, it’s fine. You have all the advice you need already! Don’t write the guy off because he’s quiet but you need to gently enquire and find out why. This is a part-time business of mine and everyone I know, good, bad and indifferent are all crazy busy.

Have fun!

Master
    Thanks all, some great advice. These guys are otherwise busy until August but have a spare week at the end of May when they could fit it in. Payment is only after the job is completed which hopefully reduces the risk of them doing a really bad job!