timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: CW Trident 65 Diver

Master
    Blog Entries

CW Trident 65 Diver

New release.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/wa...-trident-diver

Actually like it as a design, but as always with CW there's always something that lets it down for me. In this case the logo (as usual) which they could have left off completely and stuck with the embossed thing, the weird green bezel pip - and the fact it's a manual movement. Everything else kind of works for me.

I quite like the look of it and I can live with the placement of the logo. Generally I think it works quite well.

What is it that you dislike about the handwind movement? I think it’s a nice unusual touch though I suppose presumably with it being a sports/dive watch it will have a screw down crown.

I felt the same when I saw it. Why on earth ruin it with the writing?

I can’t think of another brand that has struggled so badly with its logo and branding. I preferred the original CW, which was still quite naff, but better than everything since.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I quite like the look of it and I can live with the placement of the logo. Generally I think it works quite well.

What is it that you dislike about the handwind movement? I think it’s a nice unusual touch though I suppose presumably with it being a sports/dive watch it will have a screw down crown.
    It doesn’t have a screw down crown.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve lost track of how many logos they have been through.

Nice looking watch and agree the original logo also my preferred.

If anyone interested, I have a Christopher Ward Voucher "£100 off a purchase of £500 or more" valid to 30 June 2018.

Sounds like it may be a generally available offer....anyway, Voucher Code: 100SUN18

Master
    Oh no.....look, I'm not a graphic design pedant, but mixing two such different fonts is a big no no to me. And is that supposed to be a logo in the middle? And the whole thing isn't pretty either. And lets before we get onto it being manual not auto. I'm not even going to ask the price......Shall I go for a lie down now????

Craftsman
    I like it but I don't think I like it enough to want to buy it. It's got echoes of the Oris 65 Diver which I think I would rather have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the style of this. I'm not keen on the trident seconds hand, not that would stop me buying it, the logo at 9 stops me buying it. Dreadful.

I like the looks (especially the short lugs, nice touch) but there’s something about this brand that I can’t shake off... for some reason I put it in the Daniel Wellington category of not-so-serious / fashion outfits. Probably grossly unfair, but as I said, I can’t shake it off no matter how nice the watches look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    In addition to the usual logo complaints, what on earth is that stylised 6 doing on the dial? Too many clashes of style - should be plenty of these in the 50% off Christmas sale (which is the biggest downfall of CW watches)

22mm lug width doesn't look right. Some nice aspects, but as per usual they've been heavy handed with the details.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I quite like it and seems decent value for the money. Particularly with £100 off.

I’m not a fan of the current logo/ positioning, but I think I could overlook it.

Not for me at the moment, but they have some nice looking, good value watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was reading about it in the excellent magazine the other day.

I like it being manual wound and thin,the pips fine but the name to one side really spoils it otherwise it would look rather good.

Someone asked for my voucher I replied to them twice the couldn’t even be bothered to reply,it was free.

Master
    I like this quite a lot.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    I really like the style of this. I'm not keen on the trident seconds hand, not that would stop me buying it, the logo at 9 stops me buying it. Dreadful.
    ^ This.

Surely someone at CW head office has done Graphic Design 101?

I have owned many CWs. They are well made watches at a very good price point. I still own a few. They got me into serious watches. But their direction on the logo and the thinking behind it (employing a hipster agency with a childish new logo has stopped me buying any since the rebrand. I still pick up the old logo(s) watches however. Don't knock them til you've tried them. The divers are superb.
    Last edited by Steelgecko; 14th May 2018 at 23:54.

As is often the case, this thread is a veritable ‘Greatest Hits’ of well-worn, clichéd Christopher Ward gripes.

On this diver, I like certain aspects – hand-wound, quite thin, domed crystal, slim bezel insert, case lines, price – but less so the slightly too-large (to my eyes, at least) crown, mismatched bezel pip lume, and use of the 12 & 6 numerals.

On the logo specifically, I don’t like it at 9 o’clock, but I look at watches as a whole, so it wouldn’t necessarily dissuade me if it had worked within the overall design. It doesn’t here.

Christopher Ward make some solid, good value watches, but often their quirky designs conspire to produce something that niggles with me. Nonetheless, they're a young brand that’s managed to issue some interesting complications and their own movement, so they bear zero comparison with Daniel Wellington/fashion watches.

Master
    I think this is one of their better recent efforts to be fair, but still not enough to tempt me into a purchase.

I owned a few CWs back in the day, with the Mk 1 logo, and they were an interesting brand and their watches were affordable enough to play with alongside the more established brands I owned at the time.

They’ve definitely gone off in a different direction since then though, not all of it bad, and they make some interesting watches with great movements and still below the price point of the ‘big boys’.

It could be, and this is an uncomfortable truth for some, that they’ve taken the brand in a direction recently that just isn’t the demographic on here. You can’t give a CW away on SC here, but the eBay prices they fetch are quite high.

They must be doing something right anyway!

Never has a brand struggled so hard to achieve so little.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Using my highly advanced MS Paint skills:

100% better

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    100% better
    Much better

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Using my highly advanced MS Paint skills:
    It's a bit too anonymous now, and the stylised "6" worked for me, actually, it emphasised the vertical line, which made the watch more elegant. But what you did draw attention to is the uneven length of lume plots at 3 and 9 - that would really bother me I think, I'd dread to look at the watch every time it got dark.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Never has a brand struggled so hard to achieve so little.
    They're doing better than meridian!
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    It's a bit too anonymous now, and the stylised "6" worked for me, actually, it emphasised the vertical line, which made the watch more elegant. But what you did draw attention to is the uneven length of lume plots at 3 and 9 - that would really bother me I think, I'd dread to look at the watch every time it got dark.

What you could do is change the colour of the logo to match the lume - I notice that Christopher Ward are doing a facebook limited edition for their fans which will broadly do this and not have the writing at 9 O'Clock.

Before I saw CW I saw the photo on my tiny phone. I thought it was an Omega

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    All you need to do is wait for a while until yet another CW sale pops up offering this watch for half price. It's a total rip off like most other CW models; I honestly don't know how much longer CW will be around because their current business model makes no sense. Even their watchmaker Johannes left and works for Sellita now. They had a good thing going by buying the movement house but have just cocked it up with poor marketing, continuous sales and not capitalising on their acquisition.