closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1980s bmx

Blog Entries

1980s bmx

Anyone into bmx as I have just purchased a 1980,s falcon flyer , and in need of a easy restoration ie change the wheels and paint job etc

Any pointers of good source of parts on forums or clubs

As a guy who spent years doing these up I would recommend a forum called Radbmx, loads of good guys on there and also BMXmuseum.com over in the USA, loads of tips, pointers, pictures and sales forums on both...

Master
    I think Bok Bok used to have a Tuff Burner as his Avatar. He might be well up on that sort of thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    As a guy who spent years doing these up I would recommend a forum called Radbmx, loads of good guys on there and also BMXmuseum.com over in the USA, loads of tips, pointers, pictures and sales forums on both...
    Thanks I will have a browse and see what's what , do you still tinker

Master
    I had a play about on a friends DiamondBack the other day, first time I've been on a BMX in ten years - I had forgotten how bloody uncomfortable they are.

Craftsman
    Love racing in the 80s and the bike look still look cool.

Craftsman
    Purchased a retro diamond back a few years ago. Didnt use it and sold it on.
    The idea seemed like a good one at the time :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    Purchased a retro diamond back a few years ago. Didnt use it and sold it on.
    The idea seemed like a good one at the time :)
    Yep pritty much seems to be in the back off my mind

Had 2, I had a Raleigh Burner and a mongoose, wish I still had them

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Had 2, I had a Raleigh Burner and a mongoose, wish I still had them
    I did look at the Raleigh burners and what a memory most people have off them great bikes

Well I had a Peugeot but always wanted a Moongoose. However: those were about twice the money...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    Well I had a Peugeot but always wanted a Moongoose. However: those were about twice the money...

Very nice indeed looking very retro 1980s

Master
    Used to race BMX in the 80s. Had a Mongoose Supergoose 3. Ended up in a skip mind 90s. Bad financial move!!

Just a few of mine which I built and restored, wish i’d kept em now...

Patterson Cruiser.

Hutch Prostar

Diamondback Harry Leary

Mongoose Eric Rupe

Hutch Judge

Kuwahara Exhibitionist (my fav should of kept this one!!!)

Skyway BMX

Days before I had kids and had my own man room...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 15th May 2018 at 16:15.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=Martylaa;4765643]Just a few of mine which I built and restored, wish i’d kept em now...

Hutch Prostar

Love the pro-star - I used to race in the 80's also for Kuwahara, but even though i had a great bike the Hutch was always the one that had crowds looking at it at the races!

They were a little after my time so I always saw them as kids bikes.

What the pros got up to on them was pretty spectacular though and my view of them soon changed.

That they were also instrumental in bringing about some of the more out there motorcycle sports is another plus for bmx!

Love these 80’s BMX’s, my 10year old boy has a nasty current frame, but I did it up with a pair of Skyways so that it satisfied my need for ‘cool’ retro, get a lot of comments on it when riding to school! Sadly, I was never in a position to own any in the 80’s...

Craftsman
    As a kid, I remember swapping an air pistol for a white Mongoose with white Skyways mags. It was a thing of beauty - sadly not the best for a 15 mile cycle each way to see my mates though. I had legs of steel.

Does anyone know if the rumour was true that if you cracked a mag you could put it in the freezer overnight and it would be OK? Sounds ludicrous as I type it, but there was much discussion on it at school (clearly we were all pants at physics).

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    As a kid, I remember swapping an air pistol for a white Mongoose with white Skyways mags. It was a thing of beauty - sadly not the best for a 15 mile cycle each way to see my mates though. I had legs of steel.

Does anyone know if the rumour was true that if you cracked a mag you could put it in the freezer overnight and it would be OK? Sounds ludicrous as I type it, but there was much discussion on it at school (clearly we were all pants at physics).
    Skyways and Z-Rims, the word was if you buckled then then by putting them in the freezer straightened them out, personally think it was a kid of guff, had z-rims in that white kuawhara I posted.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post

Not sure about cracked. But I think if it had a slight buckle then the freezer thing would straighten it.
    I had a gold Raleigh burner, stripped the paint to reveal a lovely chrome frame. A local bloke who worked at Raleigh always managed to find lots of spare skyway mag wheels, can't think where they came from.

Blog Entries
    Skyway BMX

Ooooooooo I very very much like that that's a great looking iconic bmx

Craftsman
    Mongosse and Mags wheels bring me back to being a kid in the 80`s, when I (or my parents) could not afford new bikes!

I used to spend hours in the the main newsagents in Dublin, reading all of the UK and US BMX magazines. Lots of wasted hours!!