closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mid-Size Trio (IWC, Rolex & Omega)

Mid-Size Trio (IWC, Rolex & Omega)

Just picked up a lovely IWC 3521 to add to my mid-size watches, what a lovely thing! (Thanks Devonpete)

What really struck me was the subtle matte white dial, with the gold indicies makes it a lot more legible than I thought it would.

At 34mm it feels a little larger than the 34mm Rolex Oyster Perpetual I have, probably a bit more weight and the integrated bracelet but its a lot thinner and lower/flat profile really gives it a tool watch feel, basically what I was looking for in the Tudor North Flag but more suitable for a small wrist. The bracelet is very nice, actually more comfortable than the Rolex Oyster I think, although lacks any adjustment other than whole links, which is the only downside I can see.
    http://www.moeb.ch/Ingenieur/12e_OCC.html

IWC 3521 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

IWC 3521 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Only thing I would like to add is either a Diver or Chrono at some point, like the Zenith El-Primero Prime or possibly the newer Oris Chronoris/Diver 36mm that was released this year.

For the moment, this completes my trio of the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date (15200 & 34mm), Omega Seamaster 120m (2511.81 & 36mm) and the IWC Ingenieur (IW3521 & 34mm).

Trio by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

That is a very fine trio! I really like all of them.

I'm on a mission to get down to three mid-size watches, although 36-38mm is my sweet spot.

I hope to start a similar thread in the very near future!

Journeyman
    That IWC is a very handsome watch. That's a very nice, understated trio of watches you have there.

Master
    I'm a mid-size fan my self, and had a 15200 identical to yours and a 3521 (black dial) for years. Always really liked the white dial ones, I must say.

Last edited by monogroover; 13th May 2018 at 10:30.

Master
    Congrats on the IWC, glad to see this is still in forum as it was formerly one of mine and before me another forum member.

It's a fabulous watch, really comfortable with that terrific bracelet and with a fine JLC movement.

Unfortunately, it was a little small for me as it looked a little bit lost on my flat wrist, but I can recommend these for those looking for something a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Popey View Post
    That IWC is a very handsome watch. That's a very nice, understated trio of watches you have there.
    Thats what I am always aiming for in my watches, understated/under the radar!

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I'm a mid-size fan my self, and had a 15200 identical to yours and a 3521 (black dial) for years. Always really liked the white dial ones, I must say.

I was originally looking for a Black dialed 3521 but had this white one offered, very pleased I went for it! Good to see someone with excellent taste on the 15200 as well!

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Congrats on the IWC, glad to see this is still in forum as it was formerly one of mine and before me another forum member.

It's a fabulous watch, really comfortable with that terrific bracelet and with a fine JLC movement.

Unfortunately, it was a little small for me as it looked a little bit lost on my flat wrist, but I can recommend these for those looking for something a little different.
    Yes, it is indeed your old one I believe! :)

Craftsman
    Hi Rob, Glad you like the watch. I think that I would have kept it had it not been for the fact that I thought it was a little too small for my wrist (like you Adam, as it was your old one).

It’s great to keep little gems like this within the forum community.

Wear and enjoy.

Pete.

Well, bit of an update, one month in.

Its been on the wrist pretty much every day since, and time-keeping was around +2.7s/d on average in the first 2-weeks, and then the second 2-weeks its now down to +1.7s/d which I am extremely pleased with! There have been a few odd days but generally its around +2s/d which I think is excellent.

Living with, its superb, I've really bonded with it and it feels like a solid little beast and legibility has been excellent, even in direct sunlight which was my only real reservation before I bought it over the black dial version.

I love it, so much so the Rolex 15200 has been concined to 'Dress' duties and the IWC for everything else!

Very nice, I too like all three. Wouldn't be able to pull them off, mind.
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Well, bit of an update, one month in.

Its been on the wrist pretty much every day since, and time-keeping was around +2.7s/d on average in the first 2-weeks, and then the second 2-weeks its now down to +1.7s/d which I am extremely pleased with! There have been a few odd days but generally its around +2s/d which I think is excellent.

Living with, its superb, I've really bonded with it and it feels like a solid little beast and legibility has been excellent, even in direct sunlight which was my only real reservation before I bought it over the black dial version.

I love it, so much so the Rolex 15200 has been concined to 'Dress' duties and the IWC for everything else!
    I think that's down to the fab JLC movement and the good work of Brendan (Webwatchmaker).
    I sent it in to Brendan for a full service while in my possession because I had no info on service history.

Well done Brendan

Master
    Really like that IWC, nice set

Master
    Had the newer version of the IWC or possibly older, same watch with a mix of SS and gold hands but without the cyclops

Lovely watch, but too small for me at the time. If I had it now I think I would have kept it, as i've gotten older my watch sizes have shrunk from an average of 42mm to my one and only a 36mm DJ

That's a very nice trio. My collection consists of mostly mid size watches as well, including the earlier, quartz powered incarnation of your IWC. It's a firm favorite, and probably my most comfortable watch:

Grand Master
    That IWC's a class act, never seen one before!

I think that's down to the fab JLC movement and the good work of Brendan (Webwatchmaker).
    I sent it in to Brendan for a full service while in my possession because I had no info on service history.

Well done Brendan
    Yes, its superb, especially compared to the Rolex 15200 which has been around +8.0s/d!
    Both of a similar age, around mid-'90s, although I think the IWC was around twice the price of the Oyster Perpetual Date range at the time....

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.

Well done Brendan
    Thanks Klunk,
    I just saw your post.
    I will be at the JleC factory in CH next month for a seminar.
    Brendan.