closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New York trip

Master
    Blog Entries

New York trip

So im off to the USA next month to pickup my Daytona for part of my delayed honeymoon and we have about 4 days in NYC after cruising

Its been a while since we have been there and last time was just before xmas in the snow (nice idea at the time but was far too cold for my liking)

Anyhow ive made some notes of things to do and eat - any recommendations, pointers would be most welcome? I like to just walk about the place but nice to have some loose / rough plans in-between to dictate which area to explore

We did Statue of Liberty etc last time so think will give it a skip this time

I fancy Lugers for a steak to see what the fuss is about but it seems a bit out of the way, when I have Keens and Wolfgangs so close to my hotel which also have great reputations

Anyhow my list (not included the shopping side of things)

Walk the high line / lunch Chelsea Market at end
    Central Park walking / I fancy bike hire also
    Top of the Rock or One world observatory (I hear the latter is better?)
    Empire State Building (hotel basically next to it so may as well do again)
    Brooklyn by river taxi
    Walk the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan
    Broadway show - any suggestions what show?
    Coney Island - worth the hassle of going?
    Various Museums the wife has on her list

Eateries I had written down from older research, some are famous of course.

Kats Deli
    Breakfast at the Tick Tock diner
    Peter Luger's in Brooklyn.
    Wolfgangs or Keens (Another Steakhouse)
    54 Below
    Balthazar
    Carmines or Patsys (Italian)
    Lombardis
    Gramercy Tavern
    The View
    Tavern On The Green (Central Park)

Any recommended bars with super views?
    Last edited by kultschar; 12th May 2018 at 20:19.

I loved the Coney Island thing. Just hopped on a subway all the way there, probably about 35-40 minutes from central Manhattan if I remember. The funfair is great fun and then there's Nathan's. The beach isn't too shabby either.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I loved the Coney Island thing. Just hopped on a subway all the way there, probably about 35-40 minutes from central Manhattan if I remember. The funfair is great fun and then there's Nathan's. The beach isn't too shabby either.
    Cool. Will take another look at it! 35/40 mins aint too bad!

Marea and Le Bernadin. Two of the best restaurants in the city. But you would have to book well in advance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Marea and Le Bernadin. Two of the best restaurants in the city. But you would have to book well in advance.
    Ah Marea I did look at ages ago will revisit and also take a look at the other. Cheers

Master
    June is the perfect time of the year to be in NYC IMHO. Gets too hot in July & August in my experience.

Brooklyn Bridge Park, DUMBO and Williamsburg Waterfront for nice views of Manhattan skyline. Smorgasburg in the area too if you are there on a weekend. Brooklyn Heights is a nice neighbourhood to walk around.

Top of the Rock certainly has better views than Empire State. Mainly because when you look north from the top of Empire State, Rockefeller gets in the way, a problem you obviously don’t have when you are on Rockefeller/Top of the Rock so get unhindered view of the park.

Try “The Counter” on Broadway. Not posh or famous but I liked the food.

If you happen to visit Tourneau Time Machine on 57th and Madison, some members of staff there are very nice and helpful, although I haven’t bought anything from them (yet). Happy to provide a couple of names if you’re serious.

I’m there in a month too, and know the city pretty well. I think you've planned a nice itinerary for the time you have available, and I’d definitely go to Coney Island. When you do, make sure you walk through the Brighton Beach neighbourhood, with it’s fascinating Russian culture.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th May 2018 at 22:56.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

Any recommended bars with super views?
    Sunday–Thursday: 11 am–4:30 pm and Friday & Saturday: 11 am–8:15 pm the rooftop bar at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is open to the public, and you couldn't find a better view. Looks out over Central Park, and the city skyline as the backdrop.

Rooftop bars are a bit of a thing in NY in the Summer. Its chilly still, so some won't be filled to the gills, but many require reservations or VIP access. The one at the top of Hotel Americano, in Chelsea, is fairly easy to get into. Jimmy, the bar on top of the James Hotel (also on the lower West Side) offers access to the VIP elevator to hotel guests, which makes things convenient.

Here's a list of a few others. https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-rooftops-nyc

There is a bar 1 floor down from top of the rock and its free to go there, though of course you need to buy a drink or two. But its the same view youd get at the very top and a nice place to have a drink.

Last time we were there we saw Suzanne Vega at the Cafe Carlyle, if there is someone playing there I highly recommend it, great food good atmosphere and really intimate as a venue.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    There is a bar 1 floor down from top of the rock and its free to go there, though of course you need to buy a drink or two. But its the same view youd get at the very top and a nice place to have a drink.

Last time we were there we saw Suzanne Vega at the Cafe Carlyle, if there is someone playing there I highly recommend it, great food good atmosphere and really intimate as a venue.
    Cool thanks for tips. Will def check out the top of the rock one! Off to google the other!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    Sunday–Thursday: 11 am–4:30 pm and Friday & Saturday: 11 am–8:15 pm the rooftop bar at the Metropolitan Museum of Art is open to the public, and you couldn't find a better view. Looks out over Central Park, and the city skyline as the backdrop.

Rooftop bars are a bit of a thing in NY in the Summer. Its chilly still, so some won't be filled to the gills, but many require reservations or VIP access. The one at the top of Hotel Americano, in Chelsea, is fairly easy to get into. Jimmy, the bar on top of the James Hotel (also on the lower West Side) offers access to the VIP elevator to hotel guests, which makes things convenient.

Here's a list of a few others. https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-rooftops-nyc
    Very cool info. Thanks will make a note of them!!!

Master
    The One World Observatory is superb and certainly different to either ESB or Top of the Rock.
    While you are there you should really visit the 9/11 museum. I’m not normally into that type of thing but it
    has been done very well.

I've been to both Luger's (twice) and Keens.

Both are great.

Keens is the more formal. Both should be booked well in advance (weeks, if not months).

Luger's is very easy to get to. It's the first subway stop over the bridge, and five minutes' walk from the station. You can easily walk from Williamsburg if you're over that side anyway.

No trip to NY is complete without a few beers at Ruby's on Coney Island boardwalk.

Master
    Check out if there's anything you fancy on at Madison Square Garden. Amazing atmosphere and just down the road from where you are staying

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Check out if there's anything you fancy on at Madison Square Garden. Amazing atmosphere and just down the road from where you are staying
    U2 are playing 2 nights. Might try and grab some tickets, ive seen them already but the wifes never been to a concert so might suprise her.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    The One World Observatory is superb and certainly different to either ESB or Top of the Rock.
    While you are there you should really visit the 9/11 museum. I’m not normally into that type of thing but it
    has been done very well.
    Thanks - will add to the list for sure!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I've been to both Luger's (twice) and Keens.

Both are great.

Keens is the more formal. Both should be booked well in advance (weeks, if not months).

Luger's is very easy to get to. It's the first subway stop over the bridge, and five minutes' walk from the station. You can easily walk from Williamsburg if you're over that side anyway.

No trip to NY is complete without a few beers at Ruby's on Coney Island boardwalk.
    Sounds like I better make a schedule and reservations now! Though maybe lunch at Lugers may be a option to get through my growing list of places to eat!!
    Last edited by kultschar; 13th May 2018 at 15:42.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Started my 2 week trip yesterday!!!

Approx 24 hours to get from my house (the End of the World) to Orlando, stopping off at Argentina, Chile and Peru along the way (in transit)

I brought the Nautilus along for my 5 day stop over in NYC, where I have reserved a 1.5 link at the Patek HQ so I can finally get a perfect fit!!

My backside is killing from all this sitting down lol!!!!

Picking something cool up tomorrow!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

New York trip

Thanks for all the recommendations,it was very helpful. Typically ran out of time for some places (Coney Island was one)

I’m just going through my crappy iPhone pictures. I really had a blast in NYC this time, since it was part of my honeymoon I kind of pushed the boat out with the eating and drinking.

We stayed midtown in the Langham which was very posh and it was great to be in the middle of things instead of the usual Times Square. Nice position walking wise to whatever neighborhood we had on the schedule.

The first night we arrived I had already reserved a table at the famous Keens Steakhouse since it was a 2 minute walk from the hotel. Now the original plan was to go here and also try the other legendary Steakhouse Peter Lugers to compare etc however the amount of meat (we shared the Porterhouse for two) was incredible and due to the portions I never fancied stomaching another steak despite it being amazing!!! Very nice old and ambient place, maybe service a tad rushed due to its huge popularity but the food was great!

Well the next day my wife wanted to have a good walk around Central Park. I obliged as I really needed some exercise from the previous nights overeating!!! I’m sure many of you have done this several times and we saw the usual sights, Starwberry Fields etc Due to the time it took around the park we ate at a nearby tourist trap diner just before Times Square, something I wished to avoid!! Thankfully this was the only and last time we ventured thru Times Square as I really hate the place nowadays. I noticed this time there were tons more of the guys hassling tourists for the famous CD scam (I was waiting to be approached with my “who the hell uses CDs in this day and age” reply but it never happened.). Police were absolutely everywhere and didn’t seem to care this time about people peddling fake perfume, Vuitton / Gucci handbags, fake watches, CD scams and general tourist harassment. I guess this is a sign they have more important things to keep an eye on in this day and age of terrorism.

If my memory serves correct we ate at Patsys Italian on the second night (A Sinatra favorite back in the day). I really fancied something simple so tried the highly recommended spaghetti and meatballs which was top notch.

A lot of you recommended the High Line so the next day we wandered over to it and walked the entire length which was a nice chilled out stroll on a Sunday. We ended up walking over 20km that day and went down to Soho, Little Italy and back up via the East Village. Getting back to my hotel was a nightmare as it was Gay Pride parade - never seen so much security, cops and barricades in my life. Kind of glad we didn’t have the young kids with us, so many people (men and women) fully starkers but it was a laugh wandering thru it all. I nabbed some cheap “jump the queue” tickets to the Empire State Building that night - even the building was lit up for Gay Pride and looked cool.

That evening I had reserved a table at the rated Buddokan trendy Asian fusion restaurant. The place was pitch black inside (never been in such a dark restaurant), music loud as hell, pricey and average but was nice to have some Asian cuisine for a change. Kept thinking what Patrick Batemen would of thought of the place! It was more style over substance and I’ve had better in London’s China town tourist trap places

Next few days we did some more touristy stuff. Water ferry to Brooklyn and walking back over the bridge which was a first for me and cool! The wife then mentioned it would be crap to come all this way and not see the Statue of Liberty (again!) so we ended up walking from Brooklyn Bridge to Battery Park via Wall Street. I’m kind of glad we did in the end as we went via the 9/11 memorial which I had not seen (I had seen the Twin Towers pre 9/11 and then sadly after the events. Therefore it was good to see the project and memorial finished). Statue of Liberty was meh as usual due to the long process of airport style security (actually worse) and rammed like cattle on to the ferry. We had a concert at Madison Square Garden in a few hours time so we grabbed a few pics, jumped back on the ferry, took the Subway to hit some bars before the show. U2 were playing (was either them Harry Styles or Sam Smith lol). Fortunately Bono kept the politics to a minimum (guessing maybe wary to slag Trump off too much with the audience) and the Edge was in fine form despite me having no interest in their music since the mid 90s.

The final day we did a bit of shopping. Whilst the wife was shopping I ventured down the diamond district to see all the now hard to see Rolex and Patek models (it was superb to see basically every Nautilus variation / rare Patek that I have never laid eyes on before) however it was like a dodgy market with people hassling you as soon as you even glimpsed in the windows (could not be more different from Burlington Arcade apart from the price). I had my 5711 on that day as I had an appointment at the Henry Stern agency in the Rockefeller to finally purchase and fit a 1.5 link to my watch. I’m prob being paranoid but I was glad I was wearing long sleeves by the time I got from one end of the diamond district to the other. That evening was back to the Rockefeller as I had booked a outside table high up overlooking NYC at Bar 65 / Rainbow room. The cocktails and shared platters were superb and I highly recommend the place if you want to impress your other half for a chilled evening with amazing views.

All in all a great time in NYC and since part of a honeymoon it was a treat booking some extravagant places which is not the norm for us. To top it off we had two nights in Miami on the way back and booked a place up North closer to Lauderdale. It was the most amazing hotel / resort I have ever stayed at and for the first time ever in a hotel I got a free upgrade to a massive Ocean View Suite and champagne (they asked what the occasion / visit was for during check in)

Only iPhone piccies..
    Last edited by kultschar; 8th July 2018 at 01:09.

Master
    Blog Entries

New York trip

Keens Steakhouse

Central Park

Lombardis!!!

Highline

Empire State Building

Brooklyn Bridge

9/11 Memorial

Liberty

U2

Bar 65 Outside Terrace

Miami

Last edited by kultschar; 8th July 2018 at 01:03.

Great thread thank you with some fantastic suggestions. Going next Thursday (first time) birthday present from the Good Lady.

Lucky boy!

Can I ask if anyone has any watch shop suggestion AD’s or pre owned? See her eyes role when I suggested it...

Thank you,

Vince

Some great pictures there Kultscar thanks for sharing
    I’ve never been and really had no interest in going, but now you got me thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Great thread thank you with some fantastic suggestions. Going next Thursday (first time) birthday present from the Good Lady.

Lucky boy!

Can I ask if anyone has any watch shop suggestion AD’s or pre owned? See her eyes role when I suggested it...

Thank you,

Vince
    If you want to browse the high end / difficult to buy stuff then take a stroll down the Diamond district block (prepare to he hassled though). Imagine the prices are crazy high but cool to see the super high end Pateks / Rolex etc. Kind of like Burlington Arcade but on another level!

Owl1
    Eat at Katz deli ( famous pastrami/corned beef etc) loads of pics on the walls of celebrities who have eaten there over the years .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    Eat at Katz deli ( famous pastrami/corned beef etc) loads of pics on the walls of celebrities who have eaten there over the years .
    Tbf my wife didn't like it there plus the toilets are pretty scummy. But it is now seen as a thing to do.

Craftsman
    My wife and I are in MYC at the moment. Watchwise, Tourneau on 53rd street has a decent selection of second hand stuff, the staff in the secondhand section were friendly however by contrast the staff in the Rolex section were downright rude.

The Seiko boutique is right next door. It’s very small but has a decent selection. The customer service was excellent, we dealt with Micheal who was run off his feet as it was very busy, but really looked after us. I’m sleeping on whether I should go back tomorrow and buy the GS I was looking at.

Keens Steakhouse

Central Park

Avoid the hawkers selling Scouse tat near there (Stevie G shirts etc)!

Craftsman
    Great thread with some good information, thanks....I fly out 5/12 and can't wait.
    Last edited by thfccambs; 29th October 2018 at 11:07.

Quote Originally Posted by thfccambs View Post
    Great tread

Owl1
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Tbf my wife didn't like it there plus the toilets are pretty scummy. But it is now seen as a thing to do.
    If its toilets you and the wife are into , visit the new world trade centre it has an excellent flushing system .

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Lol....my bad.

via Wall Street
    My faith in humanity was restored, by seeing that the bull's balls were by far the most polished part of the statue.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by christie View Post
    Hi all)) In which country is the best coffee that everyone should try? Could you recommend me please) I want to go to a country where I can taste the real taste of coffee and will not remain indifferent not to the country, and not to taste. Coffee it's very important part in my life. Every morning i need to drink it anothe way I have a bad mood)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all)) In which country is the best coffee that everyone should try? Could you recommend me please) I want to go to a country where I can taste the real taste of coffee and will not remain indifferent not to the country, and not to taste. Coffee it's very important part in my life. Every morning i need to drink it anothe way I have a bad mood)
    Try opening a new thread on the subject of best coffee in the world.

This one is about things to do in New York

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl1 View Post
    If its toilets you and the wife are into , visit the new world trade centre it has an excellent flushing system .
    Good to know....

It is a place to go now more than the fact it may or may not be good. That is more the point.

Bryant Park has perhaps the best public toilets in NYC.

Master
    Try opening a new thread on the subject of best coffee in the world.
    It’s some bizarre spam, by the looks.