closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bit of Biking Advice Required - First Bike after DAS

Bit of Biking Advice Required - First Bike after DAS

Afternoon All,

Would really appreciate some advice here. Got my Mod 1 booked in a couple of weeks and am going for DAS (aged 39, sadly).

Have been wondering what bike to get as my first one. I've progressed to the 650cc stage at instruction (on a Suzuki Gladius) and want something special for when I pass my test. I've also worked in A&E before and have no intention of buying something ridiculous and coming straight off it.

I wondered what others have bought if they've gone out and got a full licence >25 years of age. I'm quite small (5'8") and light (10st). I had thought about maybe a BMW GS but they're so tall on the centre stand and quite big and heavy for me too. My thoughts then turned to some of the entry-level superbikes from my youth. Nowadays they seem quite tame with the power outputs much lower than their modern equivalents.

I came across a lovely '98 Suzuki GSX-R750 today which felt perfect for me in terms of size and weight. Am I wrong to consider this given that my skills would not match up with the performance on offer, or could I realistically buy it and build my skills on it? FWIW I drive quite a fast car that I never exploit the full potential of, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it.

Thoughts and any experiences would be greatly appreciated!

The superbikes of your youth brought many to an early death and many more in A&E.
    Today’s bikes are more powerful but they also have ABS braking that works perfectly for beginners ( and today even an experienced rider without ABS will struggle to beat a beginner with ABS, unlike the earlier days of the assisted brakes where it was easy in the dry).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    I went straight to a GSXR 600SRAD, then changed to a GSXR 600 K6 the following summer. A 600cc sports bike is a good place to start imo (assuming you have some level of self preservation). A 600 isnt likely to throw you off or the front wheel lift if you get a little excited with the right wrist. I was chaging gear at about 6k rpm for the first few weeks! lol

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Try a BMW RnT.

Three main questions I have are

1. Budget
    2. How tall and heavy are you ( sorry if that’s a bit personal)
    3. What’s the bike for? Fun or commuting or a bit of both?
    Last edited by jammie*dodger; 12th May 2018 at 18:36.

Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    Three main questions I have are

1. Budget
    2. How tall and heavy are you ( sorry if that’s a bit personal)
    3. What’s the bike for? Fun or pleasure or a bit of both?
    Read the OP, 2) is answered.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Good luck with the upcoming tests......as for choice of bike, I usually work out what I intend to use it for and then look at the options in that category and demo some bikes.

Will you be commuting on the bike, and/or touring (luggage/no luggage), just weekends, fine weather, any weather (fairing/no fairing), posing.. or all of the above....all questions that may help determine best style of bike/size of motor etc for you.....sports, tourer, commuter, cruiser etc. Over the years BMW, Harley Davidson, Honda & Triumph have provided me with the best tool for the job....

What a nice problem to have ......

Master
    GSXR 750 was my favourite bike of all when I was riding however I’m not sure it’s ideal for someone straight off L plates but that all depends on the riders mentality you can ride any bike slowly but it’s less likely on a gixxer because the howl is addictive. Have you considered an SV650 or a CBR 600 f? Plenty fast enough but a little more progressive, at the end of the day you’d be best trying a few and see what suits.

For what it’s worth my first bike was a fireblade lol yes I rode it through a hedge and into a field but I had that bike for a couple of years, I keep looking at buying another bike but I’m still not sure im sensible enough :(

Thanks for the advice so far - should have said:

Budget up to £6k.

Don't intend to commute or to use in winter. More for rides by myself on nice summer days. I would also like to develop my skills as a rider on it.

As per my initial post, I'm small and light, so a large, heavy bike is probably out of the question.

I also like older machinery in general, so probably not looking at anything brand new.

Craftsman
    A '99 R6 if you want to go that far back, K6/7 GSXR for newer older.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Do you really want a sports bike? A very compromised riding position.

I did my bike test when I was 19 but I didn’t buy my first bike until I was 27. I bought a brand new Triumph TT 600. Rode it for 4 years and then got married, had kids and didn’t get another bike until I was 45. I bought a new BMW 1200 GS.

Yes the GS is a big bike and I’m 5’10’’ and 11 stone, but don’t find it intimidating at all. It has a low centre of gravity and once moving is easy to handle. The GS will do nearly everything you can want from a bike. I do 5k miles a year and have toured Europe for the last few years on it. I have the standard seat but a low seat is available as an option.

All bikes have the ability to go much faster than you need and whilst a sports bike is more likely to get you into trouble, its all down to how you ride and how sensible you are. If you buy any sort of second hand bike, then you shouldn’t get hit too hard with depreciation when you sell it. If you buy a new bike, then think carefully about what you get as you will get caught with depreciation if you sell it quickly. There are plenty of options if you go for PCP.

There are many fantastic bikes out there but it depends on what you want to do on them - tour, commute, push on or spend the weekend polishing it. I wouldn’t be put off by a big bike as after a few thousand miles you will be used to it. Take a few test rides to see what you like.

Bit of Biking Advice Required - First Bike after DAS

This morning I took my 1983 GPz750 for its MOT (it failed on a couple of easy fix problems). I thought it wasn’t bad for a bike that’s nearly forty years old and has been sat motionless in my garage for the last few years.

On the way home I took it up to about 70mph which, on a bike of that age, feels a whole lot faster than 120mph on a modern 600. It’s a nice way to get around without much risk to your licence.

It’s also very low to the ground for what was a sports bike; I can very easily put both feet on the ground. I’m 5’9” tall.

Bikes from this era can still be picked up quite cheaply but are increasing in value rapidly.

There are also lots of nice modified bikes from the era available too.

Last edited by Dave+63; 12th May 2018 at 19:44.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Speaking from experience, I am similar in stature to you and currently have three BMs - in ascending weight order, an S1000RR, a Scrambler X and a K1600BLE. My favourite, by a country mile, is the Bagger and that is despite it’s massive weight disadvantage. The confidence inspiring riding position, wide bars, low seat height and low centre of gravity make it perfect for me. The least comfortable, whilst a thrill on a thirty minutes blast, is the RR. The Scrambler sits somewhere in the middle, but is a bit tardy.
    Last edited by Skyman; 12th May 2018 at 20:01.

take a few out for test rides , i'd go for something like a street triple - more upright seating position , great on the bends and plenty of torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Speaking from experience, I am similar in stature to you and currently have three BMs - in ascending weight order, an S1000RR, a Scrambler X and a K1600BLE. My favourite, by a country mile, is the Bagger and that is despite it’s massive weight disadvantage. The confidence inspiring riding position, wide bars, low seat height and low centre of gravity make it perfect for me. The least comfortable, whilst a thrill on a thirty minutes blast, is the RR. The Scrambler sits somewhere in the middle, but is a bit tardy.
    I've tried sitting on a few of the bigger tourers and the weight is just not for me, despite the admittedly much more comfortable riding position. If one went over I doubt very much I'd ever get it upright.

On reflection, I want one bike to have fun with and push myself a little, riding for a few hours on a nice afternoon, so comfort is perhaps not the overriding concern.

That leads me back to something more akin to a sports bike...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I've tried sitting on a few of the bigger tourers and the weight is just not for me, despite the admittedly much more comfortable riding position. If one went over I doubt very much I'd ever get it upright.

On reflection, I want one bike to have fun with and push myself a little, riding for a few hours on a nice afternoon, so comfort is perhaps not the overriding concern.

That leads me back to something more akin to a sports bike...
    Try the RnT in it’s various iterations.

I test rode a new Triumph speed triple RS a week ago and while it’s a bit of an animal, the Brembo brakes, Ohlins suspension and very chuckable nature inspire a lot of confidence right from the off.
    Not really a novice ride I suppose but the upright riding position and view all around might serve you better than a sports bike.
    Also expensive but maybe look at something like the limited “94” edition from a few years ago- similar

My 2p.....Africa Twin....choose right and holds value.

Craftsman
    Look at an early cbr600rr, real nice sporty look and what helps is the low center of gravity so feels really light when throwing is around.
    I had a gsxr750 SRAD and I was by far my favourite bike ever but the way it delivered power is not good for your first proper bike, it’s a bit all or nothing.

The 600rr was so easy to ride fast - knee down everywhere. In fact it was my last bike because I knew if I carried on I would be visiting A&E in a big way.

Most bikes are more capable than their pilots....

Craftsman
    Triumph Street Twin might suit, small, light, fairly nimble & not too hairy to ride for a beginner.

As soon as I passed my Direct Access I went straight onto a Honda VFR. It was all the bike I ever needed. Plenty fast enough, comfortable, confidence inspiring, great handling, refined, just all round fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an sv650 for ages. Great bike. Loved it. Surprised you aren't enjoying the Gladius.

Craftsman
    Suzuki GSX650F

Not too mental, a nice size, some wind protection, comfortable riding position and well within your budget.

Craftsman
    When my friends and I all had sports bikes, the smaller chaps generally went for the Yamaha R6.

Craftsman
    Afternoon All,

Would really appreciate some advice here...

I came across a lovely '98 Suzuki GSX-R750 today which felt perfect for me in terms of size and weight. Am I wrong to consider this given that my skills would not match up with the performance on offer, or could I realistically buy it and build my skills on it? FWIW I drive quite a fast car that I never exploit the full potential of, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying it.

Thoughts and any experiences would be greatly appreciated!
    I started riding late as well, sold my first bike (KAWASAKI EX500) after a year, lost zero money doing so, and went to a Ducati M900. Should have stopped there. That bike was perfect, plenty sporty, great sound, tons of torque, and more comfortable than you would think. Sold that for a GSXR750, and hate the damn bike. Its no fun under triple digit speeds, and too uncomfortable to ride in the occasional traffic I find on the way to work. I dislike it so much that I never ride anymore, which makes the wife quite happy, still a poor purchase.

I'd recommend a bike that's comfortable to ride when you want to, unless you're booking track days supersports aren't much fun. Even very old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    I started riding late as well, sold my first bike (KAWASAKI EX500) after a year, lost zero money doing so, and went to a Ducati M900. Should have stopped there. That bike was perfect, plenty sporty, great sound, tons of torque, and more comfortable than you would think. Sold that for a GSXR750, and hate the damn bike. Its no fun under triple digit speeds, and too uncomfortable to ride in the occasional traffic I find on the way to work. I dislike it so much that I never ride anymore, which makes the wife quite happy, still a poor purchase.

I'd recommend a bike that's comfortable to ride when you want to, unless you're booking track days supersports aren't much fun. Even very old ones.
    Best advice so far!

Take a look at the BMW F800 range...they even do a GS version. Low seat options are available...

Get a cheapie fazer or hornet to develop your skills as you will drop it at some point

Master
    Street triple or bmw F800R

I'd have a look at the Triumph Thruxton.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Kawasaki versys

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Pop down to Sheffield Motorcycles and try out a Ducati Scrambler for height and weight. They do 400, 800 and 1100cc versions of the same model.

When I was 17 I had a Yamaha DT125, then got into cars and had a break from bikes, at the age of 30 I came into a little cash so thought I’d take my bike test on a direct access. I bought a BMW F650 took lessons and test on it and then rode it for a year, loved it very easy to ride, good fun and not something to get into too much trouble on.

I may be wrong but some say the large wheels and wide handle bars make it easier to ride.

After a year I wanted bigger and faster so bought a Triumph Tiger 900, big mistake I spent more time dropping it than I did riding it.

Master
    As someone else has said have a look at a Honda VFR they are all good but the 800 will only set you back a couple of grand and will do you ok. Most modern bikes are so easy to ride and living in the dales you can tell who’s bought overpowered new bikes as they go like hell but nearly have to stop to go around corners. Also you say you drive a quite fast car, tbh you’ve no concept of fast in either speed or acceleration until you’ve been on a modern litre sports bike!! Which you’ll understand when you try one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I would say a non-sports 600 be a good choice. Something without too fierce brakes that can do anything OK until you get a bit more experience and know what you want to use the bike for better. Get something mainstream and be easy to sell on in a year or so when you know better what you want or are ready to move up.

Also invest in some decent clothing as that will let you ride a lot more.

Try the RnT in it’s various iterations.
    As it would happen, went to the local bike shop at lunch with the intention of looking at a Ducati Scrambler and left having put a deposit down on an RnineT!

Nice choice
    Saw this one a couple of days agoIMG_1944.JPG

Banned
    Blog Entries
    As it would happen, went to the local bike shop at lunch with the intention of looking at a Ducati Scrambler and left having put a deposit down on an RnineT!
    Good man. Which one?

Good man. Which one?
    The straight R nineT.

2014 model with 4K on the clock.

Build quality won me over and it will match my M6 and e30 in the garage.

Master
    Good man. Which one?
    Tried a lot of bikes in recent years,
    Ducati multi strada would be my goto all rounder.
    Comes with luggage option so can tour, also upright seating, 3 riding modes, 100bhp for offroad or getting used to the power the 150bhp for cruising mode and then 150bhp track mode with very aggrssive map.
    0-60 faster than bugatti veyron :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

I'll let you off 

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    I'll let you off 
    Ta!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The straight R nineT.

2014 model with 4K on the clock.

Build quality won me over and it will match my M6 and e30 in the garage.
    Excellent work. Delivery date?

Excellent work. Delivery date?
    Some time in next fortnight. Just need them to service and MOT the bike.

Now desperately trying to bring forward Mod 1 because this will be in the garage most likely before I have passed Mod 2. Temptation will be hard to resist.

Craftsman
    R9t sounds like a good choice, quite low and manageable. Check out bikesafe too, they do excellent courses and should help hone the skills. When you get the bike go to a deserted car park and practise low speed manoeuvres, foot up U turns etc to get the feel of the bike. Good luck and safe riding. Cheers, john B4

Master
    Most modern bikes are good. Best not to buy anything too mental for your first one. If you're going to commute get a commuter. If you want a sunday bike get a sporty 600. If you fancy the occasional dirty stuff get a trailie. The main thing is not to buy anything that makes you feel or look a nob because you will end up getting rid asayc and probably losing money.

Craftsman
    Good luck OP! I recently passed my DA and having trained on an MT07, getting back on my YBR125 has been very emasculating, it feels so frail and powerless. Think I’ve found a buyer so I can make space for something more respectable!

I was originally thinking of sticking with an MT07, was easy to learn to ride on and powerful, but not many second hand. Currently looking at an old triumph street triple as can get a good deal through a colleague, though have qualms having learnt to ride with ABS about buying something without it. Test drive the new one, wow that was something!

Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Best advice so far!
    Totally agree, I have a Kawasaki Zephyr 750 that is modified, would be a great bike for the track but half a hour on the road is enough for anyone.
    My Yamaha XJR 1300 is my go to bike, does every thing I need.