closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this the best value diver in the world? Probably!

Master
    I think there we have the winning combination with the Borealis. Looks perfect, just as a diving watch should.
    Do you have to buy direct, or are they WatchGecko too?

Buy from Borealis. $25 + $5 tax. Recommended.

My straps arrived today from Cousins and they're excellent. How they can do two for a tenner is beyond me:

Untitled by David Douglas, on Flickr

Untitled by David Douglas, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    My straps arrived today from Cousins and they're excellent. How they can do two for a tenner is beyond me:
    Flickr
    Would you mind sharing a link or what phrase you searched for inn cousins website, I’ve had a look but couldn’t find anything...

cheers

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by abooth2909 View Post
    Would you mind sharing a link or what phrase you searched for inn cousins website, I’ve had a look but couldn’t find anything...

cheers

Andy
    I searched for ‘isofrane’ as they use that word it their description and it returned every colour in every size.

I searched for ‘isofrane’ as they use that word it their description and it returned every colour in every size.
    Brilliant, thanks for that. Didn’t think they’d be able to use “isofrane” for trademark reasons!

Quote Originally Posted by abooth2909 View Post
    Brilliant, thanks for that. Didn’t think they’d be able to use “isofrane” for trademark reasons!
    They say ‘isofrane-style’.

Clever way round it!! Now to decide which colour (s) to order...

- - - Updated - - -

Clever way round it!! Now to decide which colour (s) to order...

Looks very good Simon.
    I bought an apeks from another member over on the watch forum.
    Should be here tomorrow. Will post pics once it arrives.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Looks very good Simon.
    I bought an apeks from another member over on the watch forum.
    Should be here tomorrow. Will post pics once it arrives.
    Great, looking forward to the pics. I’ve been umming and ahing on whether to subscribe to that divers magazine to get the freebie Apeks.

Arrived today.
    Trying different strap options.
    First a silicone orange

And next a strap code worth more than the whole watch

Thoughts please!

Loving the Strap Code bracelet!

Loving the Strap Code bracelet!
    Yes that’s my final choice too.
    I’m so impressed how much quality these watches have. From the bezel action to the case finish it’s all very good.

My Apeks 200m diver arrived two weeks or so ago, but I delayed unboxing until going on holiday (still no sign of the actual 'Diver' magazine subscription, mind, but that was only ever a bonus).

I like it a lot - a nice little no-nonsense, pool-side holiday watch, able to take the most destructive forces known to man (my toddler), and I do appreciate that it's a dive tool, not a style choice.

A rough measure with a ruler confirms the size is pleasingly unobtrusive and very much in the comfort zone for my 6.75" wrist: 47mm Lug-to-Lug, 11mm Thick, and with a 40mm Case (but 39mm Bezel and overall 44mm at its widest point, crown included).

It came in a decent-quality box and the case is more polished than I thought. I like the facets to the lugs, the seconds hand hits its markers, the nicely grippy bezel ratchets quite positively, and everything is aligned as it should be (except the lume pip, which is a teeny, tiny hair off-centre within the triangle marker). The lume is not of Seiko level (what is?), with the initial dazzle fading quite quickly but retaining enough nighttime reading charge for hours.

I still prefer the look of the 'Divex' model's bezel, as it's fully indexed & chunkier, but overall I'm very happy - how could I not be for £56 delivered and with (hopefully...!) 12 hard-copy diving magazines as a bonus?

A great shout.

(P.S. Don't fret, bezel-alignment police - I was actually using the bezel timer in these pics...)

I considered both the Apeks and the Divex before deciding on the Divex for a couple of reasons... I prefer the bezel, I think it's slightly bigger based on the measurements of the Apeks posted above, and I prefer the Divex logo to that of the Apeks.

Either way though, they do represent outrageous value for money...

It's also becoming clear from this thread that it's the type of watch that offers plenty of scope for strap experimentation (partly for me because the strap it comes on is not particularly appealing)!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Someone recently posted this. You can get the APEX branded diver for free if you subscribe to diver net magazine. £56.95 for 12 magazines and the watch. Not a bad deal at all.

http://www.divernet.com/subscribe/p3...ing-watch.html

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks for the link. I've been toying with the idea of one of these for ages and this finally spurred me on to actually buy one (ok it was a freebie really). Plus that and the fact that I keep saying to myself I really must go diving again means the magazines are an added bonus.

Trouble is I now want the Divex too cos I like the bezel....

Can anyone comment how the Cousins 'isofrane-style' strap compares to the Borealis?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    Can anyone comment how the Cousins 'isofrane-style' strap compares to the Borealis?

Cheers
    I can’t I’m afraid Wadsy as my hands-on experience only extends to the Borealis and the real ISOfrane. In that case the Borealis wins the VFM battle hands down - every bit as good for around 20% of the cost.

I’m tempted to buy an orange one from Cousins - if I do I’ll post a comparative review of all three...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I can’t I’m afraid Wadsy as my hands-on experience only extends to the Borealis and the real ISOfrane. In that case the Borealis wins the VFM battle hands down - every bit as good for around 20% of the cost.

I’m tempted to buy an orange one from Cousins - if I do I’ll post a comparative review of all three...

Simon

Thanks very much for your reply Simon

If you do buy one from Cousins I'd be very interested in your comparative thoughts on them.

Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    Thanks very much for your reply Simon

If you do buy one from Cousins I'd be very interested in your comparative thoughts on them.
    Just ordered one. I'll compare all three on a separate thread as soon as it arrives - which should be Thursday...

Simon

Just ordered one. I'll compare all three on a separate thread as soon as it arrives - which should be Thursday...

Simon

Can anyone tell me the weight please of the Divex 200m?

Cheers

98gms inc strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunce View Post
    98gms inc strap.

Thanks

Hmmm, I seem to have hit a small snag... my Divex is losing 10 minutes a day.

I think it’ll have to go back for an exchange.

I’ve never had a quartz watch lose time before - I wonder what that’s all about...

Simon

Craftsman
    Depending on the movement, it could well be the battery - some quartz watches begin to lose time when the battery is close to empty, and others just stop out of the blue. And some of the better movements have a warning feature when the seconds hand begins to jump two markers at a time so you don't get caught out with a dead watch at the worst possible moment.

I don’t see why it should be the battery - the watch is brand new...

Simon

Craftsman
    The watch may have been manufactured months or even years before you took delivery, causing the battery to run down in the meantime. Some manufacturers even say in their manuals that the battery with which the watch shipped had been installed in the factory for demonstration purposes and that you should have it replaced anyway.

Master
    The movement in my Divex had to be replaced as it would randomly stop even after a battery change. My local watch repair chap only charge me something like £20 and it’s been fine ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by lasz View Post
    The watch may have been manufactured months or even years before you took delivery, causing the battery to run down in the meantime. Some manufacturers even say in their manuals that the battery with which the watch shipped had been installed in the factory for demonstration purposes and that you should have it replaced anyway.
    On a 200m diver that would require a pressure test after a battery change there’s no way that would be acceptable. I’ll be interested to see what JFD have to say about it tomorrow...

Simon

Smile

Bargain no doubt, i've had a few divers most expensive was an LLD up there was an hydroconquest and omega pre bond. But the best by a mile has been the lowly citizen excalibur.

Master
    I used to have the Apex 1000m, beast of a watch. Wish I'd never sold it:

I couldn't agree more, I have a the Aqualung 500m version, same watch except a better logo IMHO, on a Yobokies engineered bracelet

Quote Originally Posted by martinzx View Post
    I couldn't agree more, I have a the Aqualung 500m version, same watch except a better logo IMHO, on a Yobokies engineered bracelet

Stunner!

Hmmm, I seem to have hit a small snag... my Divex is losing 10 minutes a day.

I think it’ll have to go back for an exchange.

I’ve never had a quartz watch lose time before - I wonder what that’s all about...

Simon
    What was the problem in the end mate?
    Only asking as wearing mine today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    What was the problem in the end mate?
    Only asking as wearing mine today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    No idea, to be honest. I sent it back, they gave me a brand new one without a murmur and the new one (currently out on long-term loan to a friend) is absolutely fine .

Simon

I have one of the 500m professional versions that must be close to 18 years old, with the orange minute marker and the aqua lung branding. Currently on a cheap as chips bright orange strap.

I love it, it was my go to watch for diving, until I got dry gloves for my drysuit. It's been all over the shop and lived in my dive bag for couple of years getting bashed about, bar a few tiny dings it looks great.

Only downside is the cost of the battery change and getting it water tight for diving,

Apprentice

Believe this to be its predecessor - Dive Dynamics Professional 200M

Dive Dynamics watches were marketed in the UK thru UWI (Underwater Instrumentation) Ltd. whom eventually became part of Divex.
    I acquired mine new in Oct. 1993 @ £60 Serial# 21490611, movements Japan Shiojiri Ltd unadjusted/no jewels Y142B, Battery 399 (SR927W).

Back stamped Stainless Steel 200 METRES Water Resistant, upon face under 6 O'clock marker JAPAN Y142B QUARTZ

Dived many a time in both cold & warm waters, as being a PADI Instructor. Still going well after 27yrs, couple of battery changes. Presently on a Blue Meyhofer Frederikshaven NDL LIMITS 22mm silicone strap https://www.watch-band-center.com/wa...-Frederik.html

Photo's c/o library, not my actual DD Pro 200M watch
    Last edited by Bobthebubbler; 19th July 2020 at 15:44.

Apprentice

Re NO supplied instructions

Its Dive Dynamics Professional 200M PREDECESSOR marketed back then by UWI Ltd, did come supplied with an instruction/warranty leaflet

It detailed
    Operation-The Screw Down Crown
    Time & Day/Date Setting
    Watch Batteries and Cold Water
    Watch Battery Life
    Warranty (12 months from date of purchase, unconditionally guaranteed)

Re Watch Battery Life it states 'Although the service life is long with a fully charged battery there is no warranty on the original battery. This is supplied with the watch for display purposes only.'

Master
    Holy thread resurrection (bugger, I can't find the batman emoji !)

Yep, bang for buck I've got to agree that they are hard to beat - no matter what branding they carry (Divex, Apeks, etc).

I acquired my Divex 500m BNIB from a very tall chap in Aberdeenshire for a bargain price about a decade ago, and it has been my go to beater ever since. A year later whilst wandering around the boot fair at Thainstone I spotted the ladies version of the 200m. It was also brand new in box, but the seller wanted a fiver for it .............and I was told that he'd just flogged the mans version for the same price but the buyer wasn't interested in the ladies watch.

Both watches are still giving great service, but admittedly I had to change the movement in mine a few years ago - but it cost me about a fiver including postage. Both are still in great condition despite the hardships they have been put through..............so yep, we've really had our money out of them

What’s the lume like on these? I’ve been thinking of picking up an Apeks 200m.

Unlikely to get a better deal than this...

https://divernet.com/product/12-issu...-diving-watch/
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Unlikely to get a better deal than this...

https://divernet.com/product/12-issu...-diving-watch/
    Thanks, that’s the very one I’d been looking at. I’d posted the link a couple of years ago on this very thread. It was £57 then, but still great value today.

Hope the offer is still available as I'm going to sign up for subscription.

I still have mine - it’s going strong, looks smart and gets occasional wear.

Bought via that £56 Diver magazine deal a couple of years ago, I really can’t think of a better watch available new for that sort of money.

Journeyman
    I went for the same offer a couple of years ago . Watch ticks away happily in the box. Im not sure any of the magazines were ever opened. I get scared paddling in the sea the thought of wearing a mask and willingly going a bit deeper would see me off.

Banned
    That’s lovely. Prefer if it was an auto. Obviously wouldn’t be as accurate but never liked quartz ticking watches. It really does remind me of a citizen especially the handset, case size and the bezel. Overall a good value for money piece

Journeyman
    Digital copies of diver magazine only and watch out of stock at the moment, if your looking to subscribe.

I got the 500m Apeks a couple of weeks ago, £95 inc delivery from my home town (a sign!). Got it on a geckota bracelet (£15 from ebay) and very pleased I am with it all.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Signed up for the magazine subscription on Sunday - this arrived just now