closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Master
    First go on the Ooni this evening. This was the 3rd pizza out of the oven (1st one was ok but a little underdone, 2nd one was much the same) and was the best of the 4 I cooked.

Pepperoni burned a little on the first few so I only chucked it on half way through

Looks great for first round!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    First go on the Ooni this evening. This was the 3rd pizza out of the oven (1st one was ok but a little underdone, 2nd one was much the same) and was the best of the 4 I cooked.

Pepperoni burned a little on the first few so I only chucked it on half way through

That looks good, I'm dreading to think of what my first go in a wood oven would look like...
    Last edited by Litcan91; 6th May 2020 at 20:07.

For anyone interested how to handle high-hydration dough: this guy is baking bread with 83% hydration, the result is spectacularly soft and has super-large pores. Not my style of bread, but the video is super interesting for the techniques. As I have written a couple of weeks ago, I have completely moved from using flour when handling the dough and use wet hands instead. Also plenty of folding in his process.

Just look and let yourself inspire. No more sticky dough, I promise!

Master
    Demonloop, wow that’s a great first cook! I’d have been proud of that even for my next cook (3rd).

Glad so many starting a journey together. Wishing I’d bought it 2yrs ago when I started considering it!

Craftsman

Great work! I was chuffed when mine started resembling the real deal. And I bet it tasted great.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    For anyone interested how to handle high-hydration dough: this guy is baking bread with 83% hydration, the result is spectacularly soft and has super-large pores. Not my style of bread, but the video is super interesting for the techniques. As I have written a couple of weeks ago, I have completely moved from using flour when handling the dough and use wet hands instead. Also plenty of folding in his process.

Just look and let yourself inspire. No more sticky dough, I promise!

Agree, and thanks for the tip about wet hands. When he does the lamination, the stretch he got was huge and no flour used then either so can relate to pizza shaping and stretching.

Master
    Thanks all! I must admit it's a little addictive - the next batch of dough is made already for Round 2!!

Master
    Thanks all! I must admit it's a little addictive - the next batch of dough is made already for Round 2!!
    Know what you mean. New dried yeast arrived today, so going to do an 24hr overnight ahead of the cook tmrw.

Is that too long for RT?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Know what you mean. New dried yeast arrived today, so going to do an 24hr overnight ahead of the cook tmrw.

Is that too long for RT?
    No, it's my usual period: 24h RT.

Master
    Thanks mate, off to make now

Got an ooni a couple of years ago to see if we’d use a pizza oven much.

Absolutely battered it so tonight it’s been retired from here and a Clementi arrived last week to take its place.

Last few bits on it

Malc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Is that too long for RT?
    Raffe, did I read a earlier post correctly, do you use a proofing cabinet?

If so I presume it’s a way of ensuring temp is stable for rt proofing?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68 View Post
    Got an ooni a couple of years ago to see if we’d use a pizza oven much.

Absolutely battered it so tonight it’s been retired from here and a Clementi arrived last week to take its place.

Last few bits on it

Malc
    Calzone looks lush!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

Oh bugger!!!

Oh well I will see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

Yes, I built my own from an IKEA kitchen cabinet, an electric heater element and a digital thermostat. I use it for proofing pizza, bread and refreshing my sourdoughs.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    You lot are just doing amazing stuff. I never thought in my wildest this thread would go anywhere like this.

Me..... batched a ship load tonight and have two pals lined up for collections, maybe another two. Boxes were delivered last week so we are going to rock.

Will keep you posted.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    BLOODY HELL.

Just twigged this thread is two years old TODAY !!!!!!!!

Keep it up guys, we have one hell of a sub group LOL

Paul

Well mu Ooni got delivered so I'm going to have my first go today. I'm going to use the Ooni dough recipe. I want to make it this morning but cook later about 5ish.
    Can I just leave the big ball covered at rt all day until I want to split into smaller balls later?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla View Post
    Well mu Ooni got delivered so I'm going to have my first go today. I'm going to use the Ooni dough recipe. I want to make it this morning but cook later about 5ish.
    Can I just leave the big ball covered at rt all day until I want to split into smaller balls later?
    Sure, just make sure it is well covered so that it doesn't dry out.

Sure, just make sure it is well covered so that it doesn't dry out.
    Thanks Raffe, I'll try get some pics up later

Thanks Raffe, I'll try get some pics up later
    Oh, and about the Ooni recipe: They have varied it a bit over time, but the common denominator is that it's pretty crappy.

Every new ooniist seems to be going through the phase of thinking it's the best recipe to start with, but let me assure you any dough recipe which contains anything but flour, yeast, salt and water should be avoided (also any recipe which works with 'cups' and 'spoons' as measurement). And use the yeast very sparingly, buy yourself a drug-dealer scale because you need it.

Master
    Yep I’d ball them 3-4hrs before cooking.

Master
    I am still kind of following that Ooni recipe...they do seem to have a couple of variations though. The one I use only has flour, water, salt and yeast. No oil! Although I saw one of theirs did contain oil!

Anyway, due to get a dough together tomorrow. Tried the pizza app. But I am just dim I think. Cannot understand what all those yeast abbreviations mean. I am going to keep the dough at RT for 18 hours, then ball it up and leave it another 6 hours until the cook. I think I will go with the below, unless anyone notices something that could be improved?

- 1kg Caputo Pizzeria
    - 600ml water
    - 4 tsp salt
    - YEAST - last time I put way too much. I have the supermarket Allinson sachets, 'Easy Bake Yeast'. I am guessing around 1g is plenty?

Look forward to more pics later from you all, will add mine on Sunday.

And I nearly forgot...happy 2 year anniversary to this great thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    I am still kind of following that Ooni recipe...they do seem to have a couple of variations though. The one I use only has flour, water, salt and yeast. No oil! Although I saw one of theirs did contain oil!

Anyway, due to get a dough together tomorrow. Tried the pizza app. But I am just dim I think. Cannot understand what all those yeast abbreviations mean. I am going to keep the dough at RT for 18 hours, then ball it up and leave it another 6 hours until the cook. I think I will go with the below, unless anyone notices something that could be improved?

- 1kg Caputo Pizzeria
    - 600ml water
    - 4 tsp salt
    - YEAST - last time I put way too much. I have the supermarket Allinson sachets, 'Easy Bake Yeast'. I am guessing around 1g is plenty?

Never measure salt in spoons. According to this, a tablespoon equals 17gr (obviously anything between 15 and 25 gr depending on spoon size and if you heap it on). At 3% (which is the max recommended), you should however only take 30 gr per kg of flour. So your recipe would be overloaded with salt, which not only means it would taste extremely salty, but it also inhibits the yeast.

For 24h proofing you only need about 0.2 gram of dry yeast per kg of flour. So your suggested 1 gr is not only plenty but will probably lead to your dough having died an early death long before your bake.

Just throw your Ooni recipe out and use PizzaApp+. Despite its flaws, it is good for straightforward cases like this.

PS: If you only have 20 degrees, you need to increase the yeast to 0.36 gr.

Go ahead with the 62% hydration, work yourself slowly up. Good pizza needs 65%+ and the Caputo can take up to 75%.
    Last edited by Raffe; 8th May 2020 at 17:43.

Craftsman

- 1kg Caputo Pizzeria
    - 600ml water
    - 4 tsp salt

Pizza App - IDY = Instant Dry Yeast and is likely the one you need to select..

As Raffe says, you will need tiny, tiny amounts.

The typical IDY sachets are for quick proving bread and contain 7.5g. You need fractions of 1g. Get yourself some micro scales. In the meantime, a small pinch of IDY is about 0.05g. A large pinch 0.15g but get scales if you can. You can use more yeast if you cold prove in the fridge too.

Master
    Thanks both...that has definitely been a big mistake in past as i have put closer to 3g.
    Salt is fine. I mentioned 4 tsp above not tbsp. So that is close to 30g...but today i measured. Seemed a bit more than i usually add actually...change of plan too as Pizza now happening tomorrow not Sunday due to weather...dough is now proving...will probably be a 16 hr prove then 5 hr balled...due to time constraints now!

I have the scales...as they say...all the gear and no idea!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks both...that has definitely been a big mistake in past as i have put closer to 3g.
    Salt is fine. I mentioned 4 tsp above not tbsp. So that is close to 30g...but today i measured. Seemed a bit more than i usually add actually...change of plan too as Pizza now happening tomorrow not Sunday due to weather...dough is now proving...will probably be a 16 hr prove then 5 hr balled...due to time constraints now!

I have the scales...as they say...all the gear and no idea!!

Good luck. We await the results.

I am sure it'll be fine. Good luck!

I went for the Ooni recipe out of ease really, though I did notice it was pretty similar to the PizzaApp one. I've never baked anything before let alone made dough. I have electronic scales, but not the drug dealer accurate type so I suspect the yeast wasn't super accurate. I used 2g IDY for 500g of blue caputo (had to order 25kg!).
    On to the pics:
    I was banished to the utility by my wife for fear of mess

Dough looked ok after I put it somewhere warm. I left for about 3 hours then balled

Generally they turned out ok apart from the 2nd which had a hole in the middle and then burnt partially to the stone.
    Here are some pics of the last one

This is my set up - I'll move the Ooni to the other side of the BBQ when I get the time to set it up properly

I have to say, even the dodgy ones tasted nice. I think they were a little burnt on the bottom. Initially I was turning the Ooni down when putting the pizza in but I think I could have done with keeping the temp up.
    The last one cooked in about 90 secs.

Those look fantastic for first try! And a nice workbench you have there.

The burn marks underneath look like it's flour - did you spread them on a bed of flour? Try using semolina next time, it doesn't burn as badly (and doesn't taste so bitter when it does).

Those look fantastic for first try! And a nice workbench you have there.

The burn marks underneath look like it's flour - did you spread them on a bed of flour? Try using semolina next time, it doesn't burn as badly (and doesn't taste so bitter when it does).
    Thanks Raffe, I did wonder whether the burn marks were flour. I haven't been able to find any semolina so used cornflour, but I actually didn't have any probs with the pizza sticking to the peel so prob used too much. I'll keep an eye out for semolina.
    Hopefully things can only keep improving. Big thanks to everyone contributing on this thread!

Master
    I always get the burnt base taste too on pizza 3 onwards. Cannot get around why...not using flour at all. Using semolina on the peel and surface when adding toppings.

Could be fragments of the previous burnt pizza I suspect!!

Enjoy the weather today all...looking forward to some pizza pics.

Craftsman
    I went for the Ooni recipe out of ease really, though I did notice it was pretty similar to the PizzaApp one. I've never baked anything before let alone made dough. I have electronic scales, but not the drug dealer accurate type so I suspect the yeast wasn't super accurate. I used 2g IDY for 500g of blue caputo (had to order 25kg!).
    On to the pics:
    I was banished to the utility by my wife for fear of mess

Dough looked ok after I put it somewhere warm. I left for about 3 hours then balled

Generally they turned out ok apart from the 2nd which had a hole in the middle and then burnt partially to the stone.
    Here are some pics of the last one

This is my set up - I'll move the Ooni to the other side of the BBQ when I get the time to set it up properly

I have to say, even the dodgy ones tasted nice. I think they were a little burnt on the bottom. Initially I was turning the Ooni down when putting the pizza in but I think I could have done with keeping the temp up.
    The last one cooked in about 90 secs.
    That is really good. Well done. Burnt base looks like too much flour as mentioned.

Master
    Thanks Raffe, I did wonder whether the burn marks were flour. I haven't been able to find any semolina so used cornflour, but I actually didn't have any probs with the pizza sticking to the peel so prob used too much. I'll keep an eye out for semolina.
    Hopefully things can only keep improving. Big thanks to everyone contributing on this thread!
    I always get the burnt base taste too on pizza 3 onwards. Cannot get around why...not using flour at all. Using semolina on the peel and surface when adding toppings.

Could be fragments of the previous burnt pizza I suspect!!

Enjoy the weather today all...looking forward to some pizza pics.

I use to suffer from a burnt bottom ;-)

Just in case you guys haven’t tried this yet.

I learned to shake off the excessive flour from shaping and stretching and have minimal flour on the wooden launching peel, I build the pizza on the peel lifting it and give the edge a bang and the peel a shake to keep the pizza loose and do the same before launching.

Master
    No photos from last night as was rushing to get them cooked ahead of quiz night.

Second ball tore when it caught on my finger. So kneaded it back into a ball & went to start again. Couldn’t get any stretch from it for love or trying with a rolling pin.

Am guessing from what I’ve read I need to leave it 20mins to relax again after such an event, is that correct? Failed due to not having 20mins I guess.

Never tried, I'd be very careful during balling not to press it too much and leave it as long as you can before baking.

On the other hand, using a rolling pin will make sure you end up in pizza hell. At least as illegal as pineapple.

Craftsman
    No photos from last night as was rushing to get them cooked ahead of quiz night.

Second ball tore when it caught on my finger. So kneaded it back into a ball & went to start again. Couldn’t get any stretch from it for love or trying with a rolling pin.

Am guessing from what I’ve read I need to leave it 20mins to relax again after such an event, is that correct? Failed due to not having 20mins I guess.
    Yes reform and leave it to relax and move onto using a different ball (hopefully it is not the last ball).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Yes reform and leave it to relax and move onto using a different ball (hopefully it is not the last ball).
    Haha yup it was!

Master
    Never tried, I'd be very careful during balling not to press it too much and leave it as long as you can before baking.

On the other hand, using a rolling pin will make sure you end up in pizza hell. At least as illegal as pineapple.
    The rolling pin was a last resort to not have an 8” pizza to share. I promise it has never been used before & wont be again!

Blog Entries
    Great effort there looks superb.

As said Matt if you have to start again on a ball leave it for a while and it will come back.

The burning on the underside which I suffered last week on a couple, I sorted last night by dropping the cooking temp down to 300-350. The air stream system on the Clementi is just so good it heats the Stone so hot and it holds the heat just so well.

I was doing a collection service last night and there was not a bad one out of the 16 I cooked up. From lifting the balls to closing the lid on the boxes I was just under 5 minutes, they were rocking, the space works soo well.

Shout out to A di Maria nduja, it is amazing and the GI peels are the muts.

Keep it up guys

Pitch

Master

That random Youtube suggestion that turns out to be gold. The guy is a great demonstrator and the "money shot" at the end is worth it

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post

That random Youtube suggestion that turns out to be gold. The guy is a great demonstrator and the "money shot" at the end is worth it
    Watched this few days ago. Not a style of pizza I’m familiar with and not for me TBH but you’re right - the guy is a great demonstrator and a few useful tips along the way.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post

3lbs of cheese (1.35kg) in a 14" pizza. OMG. Lol, I use about 60-70g on a 12" Neopolitan style - way healthier.

If I was in Chicago I would try one, but Chicago style is not one I would plan to do at home for the sake of my waistline!

Good technique and video though.

Master
    Here are a few pics from the cook tonight...

Breakthrough! They look fantastic.

Blog Entries
    fantastic looking pizza.

Well done

Pitch

Master
    Thanks both.

Certainly best results I have had. I am sure using 0.27g yeast rather than the 2g odd i was using had something to do with it...thank you for doing the calcs for me Raffe!

I turned the stone today before starting the oven. Didn't taste any of the burnt taste. Not sure if turning the stone helped or something to do with having correct level of yeast! Guess will find out next time. Still need to improve the technique to get those crusts a little less crisp.

Loving the pizza making hobby. Now just to figure out how often it is OK to have pizza!

Cheers

Great thread, it really got me motivated.

My first attempt was tonight, the family are happy and full, as are the neighbours (I made a little extra in reserve just in case)