closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Master
    Need to play, even on blank bases. The top was certainly cooked / cheese getting a little crisp, so am happy on the top heat but need the base to get better; will try the hotter stone temp next and see where that gets me, as agree it was a little low but didn't solve the top browning...perhaps gas off as it goes in, but feels strange. Only 4 pizzas so far, cannot expect to have nailed it yet.

They came out far better than last time, so happy with a 50% improvement in a week. Will have a look on the forums, but not seen a technique for the 16 just yet,

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Thanks, although the bar had been set fairly low!
    F##k that cracked me up.

Blog Entries
    Need to play, even on blank bases. The top was certainly cooked / cheese getting a little crisp, so am happy on the top heat but need the base to get better; will try the hotter stone temp next and see where that gets me, as agree it was a little low but didn't solve the top browning...perhaps gas off as it goes in, but feels strange. Only 4 pizzas so far, cannot expect to have nailed it yet.

They came out far better than last time, so happy with a 50% improvement in a week. Will have a look on the forums, but not seen a technique for the 16 just yet,
    Come on Matt, only 50% improvement!!!!! Mate, I would say 85 at least. 😂😂

Tonight’s look superb mate you are on the way.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    F##k that cracked me up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Come on Matt, only 50% improvement!!!!! Mate, I would say 85 at least. 

Tonight’s look superb mate you are on the way.

Pitch
    Is that just base on the % of pizza actually served lol? Felt so much happier tonight getting them out in edible form!

Love these food journeys, nothing will be as bad as 16hr pulled pork requiring briquettes every couple of hours on a weber kettle back in my early pre smoker days.

Wish my waist line let me cook more often. Interestingly the mozzarella, tomato & basil was better than any meat ones Ive done so far.

Master
    Most of mine are meat free now.

/showboat ;-)

Craftsman
    The Ooni Koda came and wow, it is a great bit of kit. Need to work on shaping my pizza, but the heat the Ooni puts out puffs up the crust no-end.

Respect if that's your first.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Indeed, good effort. I'm useless at round pizzas! Every other shape but round eludes me.

Craftsman
    I got my Ooni out from the shed for a wash this afternoon and I can’t wait to fire it up again.

Having run out of wood pellets I was hoping to purchase the gas burner attachment but it appears to be sold out everywhere online.

Looking at eBay the gas burners for sale are close to £100. Is there a lack due to high demand or is COVID impacting on the production line and I just need to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Been trying to crack the dough recipe with cooking at home using the pan and oven grill trick.

Starting to get much better results, but still not quite there yet. Really want to give the Caputo flour and fresh yeast a go, but are limited to what we can source here on the South Coast with most of the companies only delivering within the M25.

If anyone with a big bag of Caputo and large qty of fresh yeast wanted to break it and shift some, I'd be very keen to cover the cost of goods and shipment if possible, and would of course share the results with everyone on the thread
    Last edited by Litcan91; 3rd May 2020 at 18:27.

Tonight's pizza: pizza a quattro mani after Corrado Scaglione and Attilio Bachetti.

Dough: 72% hydration, 36 hours room temperature proof, 15% semolina, 15% organic spelt, 70% Caputo sacorosso.

Last edited by Raffe; 3rd May 2020 at 21:02. Reason: added dough specs

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Tonight's pizza: pizza a quattro mani after Corrado Scaglione and Attilio Bachetti.

Dough: 72% hydration, 36 hours room temperature proof, 15% semolina, 15% organic spelt, 70% Caputo sacorosso.

Artistic and pushing boundaries.

Craftsman
    My first go at naan bread today in the Ooni Koda. Used a standard pizza dough recipe and make 2 naans from a dough ball

Caputo Pizzeria
    60% hydration
    2.3% Salt
    20 hr CT and 4 hr RT prove.

The first one did not look great as the heat over the top is hotter than the stone, so both rotate and flip needed, but results were great and got the thumbs up from the family. Allows me to keep baking but have a change from pizza.

I am starting to autolyse my dough too. A bit tricky with instant yeast, but can be done.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    Been trying to crack the dough recipe with cooking at home using the pan and oven grill trick.
    They look brilliant.

I’m a few weeks away of buying a large Caputo bag, if you’ve not sourced any before hand will give you a shout.

Keep an eye on here, they keep getting stock: https://www.vorrei.co.uk/Advanced_Se...keyword=Caputo

Master
    Those naans look great, very tempted but seems a right ball ache to time this along with my BIR curry!

Master
    Raffe that pizza with loaded crust looks amazing. I’m sure as the cheese leaks from mine I would end up with a selection of mini topping fires as it leaks out onto the stone.

Or, as my wife put it when I showed her “don’t get cocky, you’ve managed 2 pizzas and ruined 2, so you’ve only got a 50% success rate”

@Paul, I know you had 5 large dough balls proving over the weekend. No photos of the results though....new turning peel disaster??

Raffe that pizza with loaded crust looks amazing. I’m sure as the cheese leaks from mine I would end up with a selection of mini topping fires as it leaks out onto the stone.

Or, as my wife put it when I showed her “don’t get cocky, you’ve managed 2 pizzas and ruined 2, so you’ve only got a 50% success rate”

@Paul, I know you had 5 large dough balls proving over the weekend. No photos of the results though....new turning peel disaster??

Took me a good while to get where I am, still remembering very well all of my failures when I started last year. Some of them were colossal and - with the necessary distance - quite funny.

Keep going, pizza making is really a fantastic pastime. Wouldn't want to miss any of it.

Blog Entries

Mate, incoming shortly.

Launching and turning peel are another game changer.

Pitch

- - - Updated - - -

Took me a good while to get where I am, still remembering very well all of my failures when I started last year. Some of them were colossal and - with the necessary distance - quite funny.

Keep going, pizza making is really a fantastic pastime. Wouldn't want to miss any of it.
    They looked amazing mate.

Top bombing.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    First proper run with the set up and new GI peels and pretty pleased with the results.

Running the oven too hot caused some burn on the undersides so going to try 350-400 rather than Saturdays 450.

The oven is just so efficient and the way it draws air and flows the heat is amazing.

Lov it and a massive step up from the old one.

Pitch

l baby names

Damn me, this setup is so beautiful.

I know really good pizzerias where the pizzaiolo has less prep space to work through 100+ pizzas a day. Congrats.

Master
    Wow looking great, such an amazing set up you have there & wish I hadn’t read the peels were game changers, this place costs me cash!

Raffe, I know what you mean, I do smile as to how bad the first attempt was, and I love a learning curve. 16hr pulled pork etc is much easier to not screw up vs 60 seconds.

I want to cook them all the time, but my waist won’t cope with it. Want to try a couple a week and have some always ready in the fridge. Need to work out how to achieve that without waste though.

Blog Entries
    Cheers chaps.

I lost one which I slid onto the peel the then engaged in deep discussion with my son before trying to launch. Stuck like shite.

The burning was a tad disappointing on two of them. I threw a tiny bit of semolina on the peel so the pizza did not stick. What are you using as a sliding agent Raffe.

Ta
    Pitch

I take the dough balls with a spatula out of the proofing container, then drop them into a bowl of semolina. Turn them around in there, then move to a wooden board which I covered gently with semolina. There I open the ball, then remove most of the semolina before I apply tomato sauce etc. Then I used to pull the pizza onto the peel, but have recently gone to just pushing the peel underneath the pizza (I always adored the cool yourtube pizzaiolos who do that, so I had to try) and finally launch. I sprinkle the peel very very lightly with semolina before I slide it underneath the pizza. No real point engaging into philosophical discussions once the pizza is on the peel, straight into the oven!

I used to mix flour with semolina, but went to 100% semolina earlier this year. Works great for me, no burn, no bitter taste as with flour.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Raffe and we are singing from the same one. It just must have been the temperature.

Oh but I am still dragging them on that one hell of a peel.

Cheers mate

Pitch

Just try, it works!

Blog Entries
    Just lov that

Novice question, but what do you guys use to prove your dough balls in, and store them? I usually make 10 at a time and use 5 when ready and then put the other five in the fridge. Struggle with them either sticking together too much or drying out.

Thanks .

I have some flat stackable 30x40cm boxes that fit into proofing cabinet and fridge.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Tonight's pizza: Calzone.

Craftsman
    They look brilliant.

I’m a few weeks away of buying a large Caputo bag, if you’ve not sourced any before hand will give you a shout.

Keep an eye on here, they keep getting stock: https://www.vorrei.co.uk/Advanced_Se...keyword=Caputo
    Ah great thanks, will keep an eye on that website. Got some fresh yeast coming this week.

Do let me know when you are ordering if you would like to split, I'll happily take you up on that if not sourced yet

Starting to get much better results, but still not quite there yet. Really want to give the Caputo flour and fresh yeast a go, but are limited to what we can source here on the South Coast with most of the companies only delivering within the M25.

If anyone with a big bag of Caputo and large qty of fresh yeast wanted to break it and shift some, I'd be very keen to cover the cost of goods and shipment if possible, and would of course share the results with everyone on the thread
    im stuck having to use the same method, can you post your dough mix as im just following the bread maker one ?
    Thanks

hi i have to use the cast iron pan and grill method and i keep getting really crispy bases, any help on this i just use the bread maker recipe ?
    Thanks

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    hi i have to use the cast iron pan and grill method and i keep getting really crispy bases, any help on this i just use the bread maker recipe ?
    Thanks
    Is this in an oven? The same dough in an oven will generally get crispy as the oven can't get up to 400c like a pizza oven so it takes longer to cook and dehydrates the dough which makes it crisper.

Craftsman
    Thanks
    For the dough, I use the Pizza App as per recommendations from this thread. It calculates the amount of ingredients required based on the dough that you want to make. I’m still tweaking some elements of the dough, but the latest was as follows.

Neapolitan pizza dough

250g balls
    62% hydration
    3.3% salt

As for the ingredients, it is just plain flour, dry yeast and water (all I could get my hands on...)

Double fermentation, with approx. 15h at room temp, and approx 24h in the fridge, taken out a couple of hours before cooking.

Stretch the dough out and put it on to a hot pan which is on medium to high heat, dress the pizza on the pan, then sick in the oven as close as possible to the grill with the grill on at full heat.
    Last edited by Litcan91; 5th May 2020 at 20:00.

Craftsman
    Tonight's results, got a little closer to the grill, as a result it took quicker to cook and the dough was softer.

Master
    Great pics litcan.

Also loving the calzone Raffe...wow!

Craftsman
    Tonight's results, got a little closer to the grill, as a result it took quicker to cook and the dough was softer.
    Great results off a home oven!

Master
    Well put the Ooni together at last
    Ooni by biglewie, on Flickr

For the dough, I use the Pizza App as per recommendations from this thread. It calculates the amount of ingredients required based on the dough that you want to make. I’m still tweaking some elements of the dough, but the latest was as follows.

Neapolitan pizza dough

250g balls
    62% hydration
    3.3% salt

As for the ingredients, it is just plain flour, dry yeast and water (all I could get my hands on...)

Double fermentation, with approx. 15h at room temp, and approx 24h in the fridge, taken out a couple of hours before cooking.

Stretch the dough out and put it on to a hot pan which is on medium to high heat, dress the pizza on the pan, then sick in the oven as close as possible to the grill with the grill on at full heat.
    oops well to start with i bung it in the fridge when it starts to rise after mixing for 3 days, taken out on the 3rd morning and left to sit for the rest of the day on the worktop to reach room temp then pressed out to shape and put in a very hot ci frying pan till the bottom coulors then uner the grill which has been on full whack. so i will change how i make the dough now.
    Thanks

Craftsman
    oops well to start with i bung it in the fridge when it starts to rise after mixing for 3 days, taken out on the 3rd morning and left to sit for the rest of the day on the worktop to reach room temp then pressed out to shape and put in a very hot ci frying pan till the bottom coulors then uner the grill which has been on full whack. so i will change how i make the dough now.
    Thanks
    You could try the same recipe and method, but stick it into the oven quicker because the cast iron stays hot for quite some time, so you may be overcooking the base somewhat.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I keep meaning to recreate a calzone I had in a pub earlier this year...(you remember pubs?!).
    I hadn't intended eating here but situation changed so went to find a menu and much to my surprise spied a nice pizza oven up one end of the bar. I randomly ordered what they called an Italian Calzone (it was when the 6 Nations was on so you could also have English etc).
    I didn't actually look at what was in it so when it turned up it was a bit of a surprise.....it was filled with spag bol!!!
    It was actually a really nice calzone and,I have to say,a bit of a genius idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Well put the Ooni together at last
    At long last! Welcome to the club!

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    I keep meaning to recreate a calzone I had in a pub earlier this year...(you remember pubs?!).
    I hadn't intended eating here but situation changed so went to find a menu and much to my surprise spied a nice pizza oven up one end of the bar. I randomly ordered what they called an Italian Calzone (it was when the 6 Nations was on so you could also have English etc).
    I didn't actually look at what was in it so when it turned up it was a bit of a surprise.....it was filled with spag bol!!!
    It was actually a really nice calzone and,I have to say,a bit of a genius idea.
    I will have to try that, just need to wait until I do my next bolognese and put some sauce aside.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    .....it was filled with spag bol!!!
    I imagine Garibaldi is spinning in his grave.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    At long last! Welcome to the club.
    Thanks Raffe
    I bought it the same time I picked your pro up (I already had the 2S) but with the move of house I’d not had chance to sort it out

Thanks Raffe
    I bought it the same time I picked your pro up (I already had the 2S) but with the move of house I’d not had chance to sort it out
    That must have been in August?

Master
    Thanks Raffe
    Wow that seems ages ago!!

Craftsman
    Guys, for garlic pizza topping, aside from the obvious garlic, herbs etc. Which of the following would you go for to top it up?

1. Olive oil
    2. Butter
    3. Mix of olive oil and butter

Guys, for garlic pizza topping, aside from the obvious garlic, herbs etc. Which of the following would you go for to top it up?

1. Olive oil
    2. Butter
    3. Mix of olive oil and butter
    Extra virgin olive oil.

Anything else is pizza crime.

Master
    Extra virgin olive oil.

Anything else is pizza crime.
    This man talks sense, again!

Craftsman
    Thought that, but just had this moment of doubt