closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 36 of 53 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,800 of 2650

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Blog Entries
    A few from yesterday

Trust a good one had been had team.

Pitch

type russian letters

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    A few from yesterday

Trust a good one had been had team.

Pitch

Lovely.

What's the topping on this one?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Looks like Branson Pickle to me.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Mr C-B really……. Remove yourself from this thread….

It’s fig and balsamic sweet chutney Raffe. With the picante Gorgonzola and prosciutto it works and is amazing.

Ta

Pitch

Mr C-B really……. Remove yourself from this thread….

It’s fig and balsamic sweet chutney Raffe. With the picante Gorgonzola and prosciutto it works and is amazing.

Ta

Pitch
    Agree, and that sounds and looks delicious.

Slightly overdone maybe but the dough worked out much better with this 18 hour prove. The thing I still can’t quite get right is while the crust has crunch it’s still quite doughy like a bread. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post
    Slightly overdone maybe but the dough worked out much better with this 18 hour prove. The thing I still can’t quite get right is while the crust has crunch it’s still quite doughy like a bread. Any ideas?

This looks very very nice!

Neapolitan pizza isn't supposed to be crunchy. If you find the dough not right, try with yeast instead of sourdough or mix 10% to 20% fine semolina under the flour.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    This looks very very nice!

Neapolitan pizza isn't supposed to be crunchy. If you find the dough not right, try with yeast instead of sourdough or mix 10% to 20% fine semolina under the flour.
    Thanks Raffe! It was pretty tasty!

Will give both a go next week on my next go :-) Thanks again for the tips

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jakesblue View Post

That looks great nothing wrong with that.

Regard the dough maybe try and get a bit more air in it when proving, I fold the dough for my sourdough loafs over a six hour period and it’s full. Having said this I hardly touch my pizza dough.

Pitch

That looks great nothing wrong with that.

Regard the dough maybe try and get a bit more air in it when proving, I fold the dough for my sourdough loafs over a six hour period and it’s full. Having said this I hardly touch my pizza dough.

Pitch
    Wow, six hours?

My prep time for the dough is usually two to three hours, must try a longer period. What's your proofing time and temperature(s)?

Blog Entries
    Wow, six hours?

My prep time for the dough is usually two to three hours, must try a longer period. What's your proofing time and temperature(s)?
    I use Bake With Jack’s method Raffe as my base and it works every time now, great loafs. I just pick the starter up to 120g and watch down to 280g. The air in the dough as final folds are completed is just crazy.

https://www.bakewithjack.co.uk/blog-...-for-beginners

Pitch

I use Bake With Jack’s method Raffe as my base and it works every time now, great loafs. I just pick the starter up to 120g and watch down to 280g. The air in the dough as final folds are completed is just crazy.

https://www.bakewithjack.co.uk/blog-...-for-beginners

Pitch
    I never do those long resting times between s&f, usually 20 to 30 minutes only. I will try this.

Blog Entries
    I never do those long resting times between s&f, usually 20 to 30 minutes only. I will try this.
    Yep, likewise I will try the next batch with dropping my times to see what we end up. This is generally my Friday night job for Saturday morning bake although taking a couple of loaves around some friends tonight so oven is blasting.

Pitch

Master
    We are without pizza oven and I still read this thread with envy !

Going to put together a dough this afternoon for pizza tomorrow and going to give it a go in the home oven.

I know ! Wrong thread for this, but I feel left out - sorry chaps !

Any tips for home oven cooking? I had planned to do exactly what I normally do in terms of dough, sauce, etc. but just that it won't be ready in 90 seconds...so sad !

I had planned to put them on a pre-heated baking tray...thoughts?

(I am also using pasta flour as don't have any caputo...this could go horribly wrong :) )

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post

Going to put together a dough this afternoon for pizza tomorrow and going to give it a go in the home oven.

Any tips for home oven cooking? I had planned to do exactly what I normally do in terms of dough, sauce, etc. but just that it won't be ready in 90 seconds...so sad !

(I am also using pasta flour as don't have any caputo...this could go horribly wrong :) )
    I have no experience, but have seen some guys doing very nice pizzas at home.

Crack it up to max temp (using infrared and everything you have) for at least 45 mins. Key is to launch the pizza(s) without all the heat escaping, suppose that is the biggest challenge?

If you don't have a stone, it will be even more difficult I would expect.

Master
    I have no experience, but have seen some guys doing very nice pizzas at home.

Crack it up to max temp (using infrared and everything you have) for at least 45 mins. Key is to launch the pizza(s) without all the heat escaping, suppose that is the biggest challenge?

If you don't have a stone, it will be even more difficult I would expect.
    I have just ordered a couple of stones on Amazon due to arrive tonight...trying to give myself the best chance before I give in and buy another F1 !

Blog Entries
    I use a pizza setting on our Neff and a stone and it has worked pretty well in the past. Fortunately I now have an oven that lives in the kitchen in the garage which I also bring indoors occasionally. I feel real bad now………..

Hugs.

Pitch

Master
    We need a PitchNRaffe roadshow where you fellas tour the lands showing us the ropes :-)

I’m thinking something between the Hairy Bikers and Two Fat Ladies :-)

LOLZ.

Craftsman
    I use a pizza setting on our Neff and a stone and it has worked pretty well in the past. Fortunately I now have an oven that lives in the kitchen in the garage which I also bring indoors occasionally. I feel real bad now………..

Hugs.

Pitch
    What temperature do you put it on? Our Neff has the same that goes up to 275

I have just ordered a couple of stones on Amazon due to arrive tonight...trying to give myself the best chance before I give in and buy another F1 !
    The pizza bible book recommends using diastatic malt powder if you’re cooking in the oven. Never tried it myself but might be worth a go https://www.winemag.com/recipe/tony-...za-napoletana/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post

For neapolitan pizza I use the same, 275 degrees on a baking stone, in the second from last shelf. Put it on 45 mins before baking.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I use the same, 275 degrees on a baking stone, in the second from last shelf. Put it on 45 mins before baking.
    That would be my setup if I had to try.

Switch on the infrared grill to heat up the stone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post

Im not sure buddy I just turn to the setting. I baking another sourdough at the mo.

Pitch

Master
    Dough is on the go...been a long time so just about remembered what to do - I think !

Hugs.

Pitch

Sounds a dream Pitch ! Glad you are getting proper use out of it... Have you tried bread in it too or stick to conventional oven for that?

Blog Entries
    Dough is on the go...been a long time so just about remembered what to do - I think !
    Sounds a dream Pitch ! Glad you are getting proper use out of it... Have you tried bread in it too or stick to conventional oven for that?
    I tied it once but the oven was way too hot buddy

Pitch

Master
    We went ahead with indoor ovens yesterday.

Took about ten mins to cook each pizza and although the theatre of outdoor cooking was not there and the dough doesn’t develop and crust doesn’t rise like it would have in a proper pizza oven, it was actually fine and the family all enjoyed which is the main thing!

Definitely worth a go on a stone if you don’t have an F1 for indoors in the winter!

Having said all that. See the pic and you may disagree and just buy the F1. Which is still where we will probably end up!!!

We went ahead with indoor ovens yesterday.

Took about ten mins to cook each pizza and although the theatre of outdoor cooking was not there and the dough doesn’t develop and crust doesn’t rise like it would have in a proper pizza oven, it was actually fine and the family all enjoyed which is the main thing!

Definitely worth a go on a stone if you don’t have an F1 for indoors in the winter!

Having said all that. See the pic and you may disagree and just buy the F1. Which is still where we will probably end up!!!

Move your baking rack with the stone higher, as close as possible to the upper heat source (10cm space will suffice). The stone will store the heat for it to bake from below, but you need plenty of heat from above and if you have such a large distance to the heating element you are missing out.

As a side effect, the stone will be much hotter when you launch the pizza (just give it everything your oven can give, no danger of the stone breaking).

Master
    Thanks Raffe. Will give that a go next time.

The Neff was on ‘Pizza Mode’ which I think meant it was heating from the bottom.

The Other oven was on intensive heating mode which apparently is the correct one for Pizza and they recommended the bottom or middle shelf in the manual. But still learning / experimenting at the moment so will try what you said for next time which makes logical sense!

Journeyman
    Hi

Wondering if anyone has tried and had any success with a gluten free pizza base recipe?

Thanks
    Nigel

What's the best 'easy' pizza dough recipe?

I tried searching, but there's too many hits.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    What's the best 'easy' pizza dough recipe?

I tried searching, but there's too many hits.
    I tend to use PizzApp which is an iOS app where you can specify number of dough balls and it gives you grams of ingredients, 62% hydration is a reasonable balance IMO.

In my opinion (I’m far from the expert here), the easiest approach is to use some instant dry yeast (Caputo for example), Caputo flour is a reasonable start too (I use the purple 00 type), make the dough as follows:

Add all the water, dissolve in all the salt, mix in 3rd of the flour, mix in all the yeast (3rd flour first so the salt doesn’t kill the yeast) then gradually add all the remaining flour. Knead the dough or mix in stand mixer with dough hook, I use a thermometer to tell when I’ve done enough kneading (when it reads 25-28C).

Leave covered in damp tea towel for an hour, after that split up into dough balls of 225-250grams (YouTube for technique). Leave for another hour in airtight container.

That’s what I’ve found easiest for a reasonable output with limited turnaround time. There’s many ways you can improve on the above if you want to make things more complicated.

I make "beginner dough" that's easy to handle. There are dozens of ways to do it, but this is super reliable. This is 60% hydration, but you can simply add more water as you get more confident.

This makes 4 balls each weighing ~280g.

Caputo Blue - 700g
    Water - 420g
    Salt - 8g
    half tsp sugar (helps colour if not made in proper pizza oven)
    1/3 tsp dry yeast - (I use caputo)

Stick it all in a mixer for a couple of minutes until it binds
    Rest for 5.
    Mix for 5.
    Rest and mix again if you want.

Remove and add to a lightly olive oiled bowl and cover with film or damp towel for an hour.

Ball up and add to a lightly oiled baking tray.

Paint a little oil on each ball and cover with film.

Stick it in the fridge overnight or for a few days.

Take out an hour of so before you cook. They must warm up to room temperature or stretching will rip them.

Saturday pizza, which was a leftover dough ball from Thursday's pizza evening (no photos, had the house full of kids and we had a fantastic evening making pizza with the kids).

I re-balled the dough and stuck it into the fridge until today.

Master
    Saturday pizza, which was a leftover dough ball from Thursday's pizza evening (no photos, had the house full of kids and we had a fantastic evening making pizza with the kids).

I re-balled the dough and stuck it into the fridge until today.

Looks perfection to me :-)

Master
    We do pretty much the same pizza each week (boring I know) but they taste so good..

Pepperoni
    Salami Milano
    Candied jalapeños
    Piquante peppers
    N’duja

Master
    Blog Entries
    That pizza board is ace

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    We do pretty much the same pizza each week (boring I know) but they taste so good..

Pepperoni
    Salami Milano
    Candied jalapeños
    Piquante peppers
    N’duja

I'd order that in a heartbeat, all my favourite things on that!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    That pizza board is ace
    Very handy, bought from Etsy for very small cost

Master

Americans call them Granny Pizzas if you make a tray bake style. I do them fairly often and the family all love them. I've posted these in this thread before anyway but..

I use the basic recipe from this video

which links out to the recipe here https://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbo...rq=sheet%20pan with the dough being here http://www.thecookingguy.com/stcg-on...=pizza%20dough Though he has changed the dough recipe as the original had some garlic powder in which we still add. Then put on whatever topping you want.

I now tend to make the sauce for it using the recipe for the Chicago Deep Pan as it spreads better

Just note his ratios are for two deep pan so adjust accordingly. These make a really good Chicago btw

As a bonus here is a Detroit style which again can be done in a normal oven

Note:- I find the Americans add too much salt and sugar so I would suggest toning down the quantities to suit your tastes.
    Last edited by reecie; 7th February 2022 at 10:49.

I have never made Chicago or Detroit pizzas before, but sometimes, when I see pictures of them, I contemplate if I should.

Master
    I have never made Chicago or Detroit pizzas before, but sometimes, when I see pictures of them, I contemplate if I should.
    Definitely you should. It tastes really great - I think someone in this thread tried that recipe and said it tasted just like ones he had had in Chicago. Weirdly the Chicago is really filling even just having a quarter of that type of size. Yet I can eat loads of a Dominos one :-)

Master
    That chicago dish definitely looks worth a try, on the list !

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Definitely you should. It tastes really great - I think someone in this thread tried that recipe and said it tasted just like ones he had had in Chicago. Weirdly the Chicago is really filling even just having a quarter of that type of size. Yet I can eat loads of a Dominos one :-)
    Just watched the Chicago video. That's going to be difficult, he puts sugar into dough, tomato sauce and sausage (calling spiced minced meat a sausage is another question I have). The dough contains butter (!!!), 9gram of yeast (!!!) and gets zero kneading.

Well, this goes against anything I know and like about pizza. Will need to check some other authentic recipes before I go for any of this.

Master
    I’ve showed this before - deep dish can be amazing and this one certainly was. It’s a lot of effort from scratch but well worth it as an occasional treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I sent this link to my wife yesterday. Arrived home from work and she’d made it! It tasted amazing. I’ve had Giordano’s in America before so know what proper deep dish pizza is like (not like you buy in a supermarket) and this was just as good. The homemade Italian sausage especially. There was a slight leak on the outside so the crust wasn’t as crisp as it could have been but that didn’t affect the taste. Will definitely have this again.

I’ve showed this before - deep dish can be amazing and this one certainly was. It’s a lot of effort from scratch but well worth it as an occasional treat.
    Did she do it as shown in the video, including the all the sugar and butter in the dough?

Master
    Did she do it as shown in the video, including the all the sugar and butter in the dough?
    Like I said above I cut the sugar and salt right down. For a start these make two of those pizzas so half everything for one. I now probably put 1/2 tsp max sugar in the sauce and a pinch of salt and a small bit of butter to fry the onions in. You are in effect making shortcrust pastry not pizza dough see https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/s...ustpastry_1278 so again I am using minimum sugar and salt in it. The first time I knocked the measures down and it was still too much so I reduced them down again to more our liking. It does show how much sugar and salt Americans must use though!

Master
    She can’t remember but is a lot more health conscious with cooking than myself so maybe cut down a bit. I do remember it was lovely and worth trying.

I do the Italian sausage on a lot of the pizzas I do in the effeuno and everyone loves it. I cook it in a frying pan first and cool it. Also freeze it and use it in pasta dishes.

She can’t remember but is a lot more health conscious with cooking than myself so maybe cut down a bit. I do remember it was lovely and worth trying.

I do the Italian sausage on a lot of the pizzas I do in the effeuno and everyone loves it. I cook it in a frying pan first and cool it. Also freeze it and use it in pasta dishes.
    I make my own salciccia, so that is not my concern.

Thanks for the advice on sugar and salt, the original recipe sounds crazy on both so that is appreciated and saved me one attempt.

It looks like the ratio of 'bread' to filling is all wrong. Is this what is actually meant when people refer to pizza pies, as it certainly looks more like a pie than a pizza.
    Last edited by hogthrob; 7th February 2022 at 18:01.