closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,600 of 2653

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Master
    Oh dear, what have you got us on Pitch. I only have an outdoor oven so this should be fun...
    Better get on Ocado and add some Galbani!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Oh dear, what have you got us on Pitch. I only have an outdoor oven so this should be fun...
    Better get on Ocado and add some Galbani!
    Ha, ‘cause if you I’m sorted buddy. Hehehehehehe

Bring it on icey nuts.

Pitch (sweaty nuts)

Blog Entries
    I have been asked to help out at a pizza bash tomorrow and I'm out of Caputo. Any suggestions from Morrison, Aldi or Tesco???

Many thanks

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Some play on pigs in blankets would be good.
    Left overs pizza is one of the highlights of my year. Thinly sliced leftover ham, turkey and kilted sausages (Scottish pigs in blankets) make a great pizza topping.

I slice the sausages length ways and stick a few on.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I have been asked to help out at a pizza bash tomorrow and I'm out of Caputo. Any suggestions from Morrison, Aldi or Tesco???

Many thanks

Pitch
    Don’t recall any of them having it I’m afraid. Did use Ocado when I was caught out before but depends what slot you can get for delivery.

I’ve got some you’re welcome to, but am sure you’d drive past a stockist before reaching Reading area.

Blog Entries
    Don’t recall any of them having it I’m afraid. Did use Ocado when I was caught out before but depends what slot you can get for delivery.

I’ve got some you’re welcome to, but am sure you’d drive past a stockist before reaching Reading area.
    Lovely gesture and thank you fella but a 400 mile round trip for a kilo of flour would make for some expensive pizzas.... LOL. Im going to give some Ali's strong white bread flor a go.

Have a good Christmas buddy

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Lovely gesture and thank you fella but a 400 mile round trip for a kilo of flour would make for some expensive pizzas.... LOL. Im going to give some Ali's strong white bread flor a go.

Have a good Christmas buddy

Pitch
    Hi

for a few years I have been using the Allinson strong bread flour. In my dough works well (68% hydration), almost like the Caputo Pizzeria. Now use the Nuvola which is very good.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...read-flour-3kg

There is a chance Amazon will deliver in time for you:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flour-Caput...A1STKPJJK6RZNW

Ciao
    Franco
    Last edited by Franco; 18th December 2023 at 14:50.

Master
    Pitch, I have also used the bread flour in the past and it was fine. Not quite at Caputo level, but v. good nonetheless. I have tried Alllinson's and also Doves Farm. Both were good, Dove's Farm especially.

A man of your calibre will do just fine with it!

Must supermarkets around here stock some 00 type pizza flour. In an emergency, any will do, I suppose.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Must supermarkets around here stock some 00 type pizza flour. In an emergency, any will do, I suppose.
    I’ve seen 00 pasta flour in all the ones Pitch mentioned. No idea how different it is, clearly pizza flour is a gap in UK retailer ranging.

I’ve seen 00 pasta flour in all the ones Pitch mentioned. No idea how different it is, clearly pizza flour is a gap in UK retailer ranging.
    It's the same.

Blog Entries
    Cheers fellas.

I did find a couple of kg of Nuvola and just going to try the bread flour out of interest.

Pitch

Italian mills are setup very differently to domestic ones - in short, they mill softer and have longer surfaces. The wheats used, in terms of hardness and protein content are similar to those used in domestic mills, but the wheat is manipulated in a different way.

Wheats milled softer result in less starch damage, a finer granularity, and lower water absorption.

In a pinch, you can blend your own flour. Use domestic bread flour and blend in 20% plain flour. The reason for this is that Plain flour in the UK is milled from soft (biscuit grade) wheats. These wheats mill softer than bread wheats, so their inclusion serves two purposes - it pulls down protein content and adds softness.

To confirm, 00 grade products in domestic supermarkets are not the same as Caputo. There are some significant fundamental differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    To confirm, 00 grade products in domestic supermarkets are not the same as Caputo. There are some significant fundamental differences.
    When I said it's the same, I didn't mean it's the same as Caputo, I meant 00 Pasta = 00 Pizza.

Master

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Ha, ‘cause if you I’m sorted buddy. Hehehehehehe

Bring it on icey nuts.

Pitch (sweaty nuts)
    Icey nuts reporting back. What I didn’t bargain on was the rain starting after pizza no 2. So it was icey nuts and rainy head.
    Luckily it wasn’t all that cold and all the prep was inside - just went out to launch and cook then back in.
    Was actually quite an enjoyable experience.

Side benefit… the Mrs wouldn’t allow me to use any semolina indoors, as last time I did it went everywhere and took hours to clean. In the drawers and all sorts! Therefore, tried rice flour which was bought some time ago but not tried yet. It was brilliant and will stick to this going forward.

Last edited by Boss13; 30th December 2023 at 22:36.

Blog Entries
    You beauty

HNY buddy

Pitch

Potatoes, buffalo, Parmigianino and Mortadella. 75% hydration, fluffy as fluff.

Master
    Potatoes, buffalo, Parmigianino and Mortadella. 75% hydration, fluffy as fluff.

Looks amazing!

I have a basic Ooni, the wood pellet version, has been great to work with but the one thing I had a problem with was getting the raw pizza off the peel. I’ve had a few disasters!

Somebody recommended a dusting of semolina which has really helped. I have a metal peel, and always make sure it’s clean and dry, do you use a wood one or is that for serving?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Looks amazing!

I have a basic Ooni, the wood pellet version, has been great to work with but the one thing I had a problem with was getting the raw pizza off the peel. I’ve had a few disasters!

Somebody recommended a dusting of semolina which has really helped. I have a metal peel, and always make sure it’s clean and dry, do you use a wood one or is that for serving?
    I use both wood as well as metal peels for launching, both work fine. A dusting with rice flour or semolina helps as well. You have to work fast enough so that the dough doesnt stick.

Master
    I use both wood as well as metal peels for launching, both work fine. A dusting with rice flour or semolina helps as well. You have to work fast enough so that the dough doesnt stick.
    Yeah, I think that’s part of my problem, I do seem to faff about at the topping phase!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Yeah, I think that’s part of my problem, I do seem to faff about at the topping phase!
    Have all your ingredients cut up before you start. If you have a metal peel, you can take a bit more time provided you have a flat non-sticky surface to prepare your pizza on - I have glued a 60cm x 60cm glazed tile on a wooden square and use that as my preparation area. Once the pizza is finished, pour a little rice flour on the area in front of the pizza, so that the peel pushes it underneath the pizza when you slide the peel under the pizza. Works a treat and the pizza should be freely moving on the peel for long enough to comfortably launch it accident-free into the oven.

Master
    Have all your ingredients cut up before you start. If you have a metal peel, you can take a bit more time provided you have a flat non-sticky surface to prepare your pizza on - I have glued a 60cm x 60cm glazed tile on a wooden square and use that as my preparation area. Once the pizza is finished, pour a little rice flour on the area in front of the pizza, so that the peel pushes it underneath the pizza when you slide the peel under the pizza. Works a treat and the pizza should be freely moving on the peel for long enough to comfortably launch it accident-free into the oven.
    Cheers for that Raffe, very helpful. 👍

I’ve got some spare big glazed tiles in the workshop so a weekend project coming up!

Master
    A useful alternative that I’ve found is a silicone baking mat like this one

SUPER KITCHEN Extra Large Thick Nonstick Silicone Baking Pastry Mat with Dough Scraper, Nonslip Kneading Board Fondant Rolling Mat, BPA Free, Epoxy Resin Craft Jewelry Casting Mould Mat (71x51cm, Red)
    https://amzn.eu/d/b3gaD18

A light dusting of flour on it prevents anything sticking and you can take as long as you want to prep your pizza, before sliding it onto the peel at the last moment before launching.

It also has the bonus of having diameters marked on it, so getting a 12” pizza is dead easy. Folds up small for storage as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post

SUPER KITCHEN Extra Large Thick Nonstick Silicone Baking Pastry Mat with Dough Scraper, Nonslip Kneading Board Fondant Rolling Mat, BPA Free, Epoxy Resin Craft Jewelry Casting Mould Mat (71x51cm, Red)

A light dusting of flour on it prevents anything sticking and you can take as long as you want to prep your pizza, before sliding it onto the peel at the last moment before launching.

It also has the bonus of having diameters marked on it, so getting a 12” pizza is dead easy. Folds up small for storage as well.
    Thank you, I’ll give one of those a look if I can’t find a suitable glazed tile. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post

Do not use regular flour to dust the mat, it will burn and taste bitter in a real 450° pizza oven. Use rice flour or semolina.

Master
    Do not use regular flour to dust the mat, it will burn and taste bitter in a real 450° pizza oven. Use rice flour or semolina.
    Yeah, I meant semolina. I know others have mentioned the slightly gritty texture that semolina can impart, but I really like that actually.

Master
    Brings back some memories...I was doing that for so long and couldn't work out why my pizzas always tasted slightly bitter at times.

This is an unbelivable thread and thanks to all those who put the time in to share their expertise, particularly Raffe and Pitch. I certainly wouldn't have dreamed of making a pizza at home if this thread didn't exist.

Blog Entries
    Brings back some memories...I was doing that for so long and couldn't work out why my pizzas always tasted slightly bitter at times.

This is an unbelivable thread and thanks to all those who put the time in to share their expertise, particularly Raffe and Pitch. I certainly wouldn't have dreamed of making a pizza at home if this thread didn't exist.
    You say the nicest things hunky.!!!! xx

It is amazing to think it will be six years in a few months time that I decided one Sunday afternoon to start this madness and as I have said many a time, the journey we have ALL travelled has been fantastic one, and one I continue to learn on..

Keep it up chaps.

Paul

It is amazing to think it will be six years in a few months time that I decided one Sunday afternoon to start this madness and as I have said many a time, the journey we have ALL travelled has been fantastic one, and one I continue to learn on..

Keep it up chaps.

Paul
    Even I love this thread, and I don’t even make pizza. As said, top marks to you and Raffe.

Keep it up chaps.

Paul
    I don't think I'd be making pizza today if it wasn't for you.

All credit to Pitch.

Interesting! So you don't flour the launching peel? You put the flour in front of the pizza?

I've been prepping my pizza on a pre floured peel. Works *most* of the time.

Master
    I sprinkle a little semolina along the leading edge of the peel, lift the front of the pizza with thumb and forefinger, and slide the peel under. Works every time.

Blog Entries
    Season 2024 here we go and time to get the bulk order in.

For many many years it’s been Caputo blue and then Nuvola but A di do have plenty of other options. Plus cheese, their nduja is great.

What’s the thoughts out there???

Pitch

Master
    Season 2024 here we go and time to get the bulk order in.

For many many years it’s been Caputo blue and then Nuvola but A di do have plenty of other options. Plus cheese, their nduja is great.

What’s the thoughts out there???

Pitch
    Always fancy trying their pepperoni but have no need for a pack that size! You are ahead of me, am still cooking on the egg but once we know it’s going to be dry, will be back on it.

Does anyone have any advice / recipes for deep pan pizza on a pizza oven?

My wife and 1 son prefer deep pan; me and my other son like the thinner Neapolitan type. I’d like to try a deep pan one in the Ooni but ideally I’d like to be able to do thin ones too; can the same dough do both? What is the technique for deep pan?

I saw these from Ooni and they make me a convert though!

https://uk.ooni.com/collections/late...tyle-pizza-pan

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    Does anyone have any advice / recipes for deep pan pizza on a pizza oven?

My wife and 1 son prefer deep pan; me and my other son like the thinner Neapolitan type. I’d like to try a deep pan one in the Ooni but ideally I’d like to be able to do thin ones too; can the same dough do both? What is the technique for deep pan?

I saw these from Ooni and they make me a convert though!

https://uk.ooni.com/collections/late...tyle-pizza-pan

Intrigued too.

Am sure oven gloves are easier and safer than using a peel for that tray though!!

Intrigued too.

Am sure oven gloves are easier and safer than using a peel for that tray though!!
    I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting one of those pans. They sell a spatula type thing to lever the pizza out of the tin too.

Master
    Get a LloydPans one as they supply to trade. Amazon will sell you one via the US cheaper than an Ooni one see https://www.amazon.co.uk/LloydPans-K...01FY5UFCI?th=1. Other UK places also sell them

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Get a LloydPans one as they supply to trade. Amazon will sell you one via the US cheaper than an Ooni one see https://www.amazon.co.uk/LloydPans-K...01FY5UFCI?th=1. Other UK places also sell them
    Hadn’t done the search, so thank you. Yeah anything with an Ooni label costs way too much!

Wrong thread as it’s pizza, but just discovered the KJ cast iron cooking things for the egg. More money being allocated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Too late for me I’m afraid; Ooni stuff is already on its way! I’m a sucker for labels though so I don’t mind

Blog Entries
    This week’s bulk delivery portioned up and ready for the spring.

102 pizza’s roughly 65-70p each inclusive of tomato sauce for straight margaritas. Happy with that.

Pitch

If anyone is planning an Ooni purchase, I have a 10% off referral link from a purchase I just made. Not sure how long it lasts for but let me know and I'll send it to you. If you spend over £200 I get a £20 credit too, so win win!

Also, has anyone tried the pre-prepared Ooni dough? Or any advice on freezing some premade dough? We're not great at pre-planning in my househould, so I'd like to be able to have something ready to go.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just make dough as normal and put in freezer.

@pitch. Can I ask what's n them bags?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Ah, that easy! Good!

At what stage? After mixing; first rise or second rise?

Edit - after typing this I looked at the Ooni site and it recommends freezing after the first rise.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    Ah, that easy! Good!or an hour

At what stage? After mixing; first rise or second rise?

Edit - after typing this I looked at the Ooni site and it recommends freezing after the first rise.
    Not sure mate. I only mix, rest for an hour, ball up then leave to prove. But yeah instead of using it put in freezer.

Blog Entries

@pitch. Can I ask what's n them bags?
    The ziplock were from Poundland buddy, really reasonable

Pitch

Master
    This week’s bulk delivery portioned up and ready for the spring.

102 pizza’s roughly 65-70p each inclusive of tomato sauce for straight margaritas. Happy with that.

Pitch

Legend!!!

Loving the maths P, that does put it into context and another reason to enjoy this hobby.

However, have you factored in the expensive Italian peels!?

Blog Entries
    Legend!!!

Loving the maths P, that does put it into context and another reason to enjoy this hobby.

However, have you factored in the expensive Italian peels!?
    Shhhhhhhhhhhh, no, the wife thought I hand just changed the handles on the old ones. 😳😆

Good point though A, factor in oven outside and your old one and I think we are a tiny bit north of those figures.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    The ziplock were from Poundland buddy, really reasonable

Pitch
    No what's in the bags that looks like frozen chips? Or are they frozen chips!

Master
    No what's in the bags that looks like frozen chips? Or are they frozen chips!
    Think of things that go on pizza.

Is it tomato?

Is it pepperoni?

Is there any mozzarella in the above questions?

There we go.

Psst it is mozzarella if that wasn’t clear lol.