closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,350 of 2641

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    The cost of making them yourself must be less than 10p per ball, and no need to drive around.
    If using Caputo Tipo 00 the cost per 250g ball made at home will be around 35p but I'd imagine they would be of a higher quality than anything bought in and of course there is the satisfaction of making them at home.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 29th May 2023 at 10:07.

I use Caputo as well, but buy the stuff in 25kg bags....
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just ordered a 15kg of Caputo blue and a 4kg mutti pizza sauce. Will be the first time using 00 so let's see if it's much different from using very strong white flour.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Just ordered a 15kg of Caputo blue and a 4kg mutti pizza sauce. Will be the first time using 00 so let's see if it's much different from using very strong white flour.
    Will be miles different if making Neapolitan pizza.

Re the pizza sauce honestly no need. Just get a tin of San Marzano tomatoes. Drain the liquid, crush the tomatoes by hand. Snip in some fresh basil, salt, pepper and olive oil. Job done. No need to cook the sauce as it will cook in the high oven temperature

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post

Re the pizza sauce honestly no need. Just get a tin of San Marzano tomatoes. Drain the liquid, crush the tomatoes by hand. Snip in some fresh basil, salt, pepper and olive oil. Job done. No need to cook the sauce as it will cook in the high oven temperature
    This.

Do not cook the tomatoes sauce.

I must admit to buying a pre made tomato puree, like the one with a little added olive oil...spread it around the fork pricked base, back of a spoon does the job, sprinkle of mixed herbs, crush some pepper and off you go...comes in perfect size small cartons, cheap as well, um...chips used to be.

Happy baking.
    Last edited by Passenger; 29th May 2023 at 13:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    This.

Do not cook the tomatoes sauce.
    I have yet to try the not cooking approach as I made a huge amount of sauce from 2 x 2.5kg tins of SM tomatoes using the ooni recipe which cooks the sauce….I am still working my way through it all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=gorrie;At £1 a ball, I can see me using plenty more of these over the summer for much easiness!![/QUOTE]

I have a pal who does just this all the time.

He loves pizza, knocks out cracking pizza but the whole dough thing does nothing for him.

This is what is great about the whole churning out pizza thing at home, to each his own how deep you dip your toe into the whole process.

Ya pizza looks great and enjoy the journey.

Pitch
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 29th May 2023 at 14:50.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I must admit to buying a pre made tomato puree, like the one with a little added olive oil...spread it around the fork pricked base, back of a spoon does the job, sprinkle of mixed herbs, crush some pepper and off you go...comes in perfect size small cartons, cheap as well, um...chips used to be.

Happy baking.
    Did this for years with great results and works well. It’s all about what’s works best for us all.

I now flip between Mutti and making my own from SM’s depending on how organised and time I have.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries

Hmmm don't know about this. Seems a waste of juice. Normally do the ooni recipe which I really like. Just thought I'd try the mutti stuff saves making my own.

Hmmm don't know about this. Seems a waste of juice. Normally do the ooni recipe which I really like. Just thought I'd try the mutti stuff saves making my own.
    The reason you drain the juice is to avoid the dough getting too soggy.

I'm new to this game and no expert but I've watched a ton of videos on YouTube from various neapolitan pizza chefs and this is the way they all do it (and it tastes great btw). You are trying to preserve the great taste of the expensive San Marzano tomatoes which cook in the pizza oven and cooking them beforehand will erode that taste as you'd end up overcooking them in the hot oven. Also cooking your pizza sauce in Naples is likely to see you receive a visit from the Camorra!

Now if you do NYC pizza or deep pan pizza which require longer cooking times at lower heat then yep go ahead and cook the sauce before hand (usually they add other ingredients such as dried herbs, sugar, garlic etc) but then again for those recipes you don't need San Marzano tomatoes anyway.

The Ooni recipe is for a classic tomato sauce as opposed to a Neapolitan style sauce and I've actually tried it out myself. Pretty good but different to a true Neapolitan style (and says you can use any tomatoes as opposed to SM ). The Neapolitan sauce is far easier to make and gives a different, 'fresher taste' from the higher quality SM tomatoes.

For Neapolitan pizza you absolutely do need SM tomatoes and from memory there is even a local 'law' depicting what you can and can't put on a pizza and it remain 'Neapolitan'!
    Last edited by ryanb741; 30th May 2023 at 07:37.

Can always use the juice for somethin else (or even concentrate separately and recombine with rest).

Never found San Marzano very different to others TBH.

I've ordered a wooden peel to put the pizza in the oven. I'll still use the metal one to remove it but the dough does tend to stick to the metal peel, particularly if there are more ingredients than usual that weigh the pizza down and I hear the wooden peels are far less sticky

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use a wooden peel to prep the pizza on then slide it off that onto my semolina prepped metal peel. Never sticks when launching when I do this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The reason you drain the juice is to avoid the dough getting too soggy.

I'm new to this game and no expert but I've watched a ton of videos on YouTube from various neapolitan pizza chefs and this is the way they all do it (and it tastes great btw). You are trying to preserve the great taste of the expensive San Marzano tomatoes which cook in the pizza oven and cooking them beforehand will erode that taste as you'd end up overcooking them in the hot oven. Also cooking your pizza sauce in Naples is likely to see you receive a visit from the Camorra!

Now if you do NYC pizza or deep pan pizza which require longer cooking times at lower heat then yep go ahead and cook the sauce before hand (usually they add other ingredients such as dried herbs, sugar, garlic etc) but then again for those recipes you don't need San Marzano tomatoes anyway.

The Ooni recipe is for a classic tomato sauce as opposed to a Neapolitan style sauce and I've actually tried it out myself. Pretty good but different to a true Neapolitan style (and says you can use any tomatoes as opposed to SM ). The Neapolitan sauce is far easier to make and gives a different, 'fresher taste' from the higher quality SM tomatoes.

For Neapolitan pizza you absolutely do need SM tomatoes and from memory there is even a local 'law' depicting what you can and can't put on a pizza and it remain 'Neapolitan'!
    You've sold it to me. I'll give it a try but I have 4kg of mutti to consume first. I did think sometimes they can be a bit soggy in the middle although I thought it was because I can't resist putting extra mozzarella on.

You've sold it to me. I'll give it a try but I have 4kg of mutti to consume first. I did think sometimes they can be a bit soggy in the middle although I thought it was because I can't resist putting extra mozzarella on.
    The Neapolitan style pizzas are usually a but soggy in the middle- apparently the way to eat them in Naples is with a knife and fork or if you slice it you fold the end in a bit, then the pizza in half and eat it that way.

I had a mare tonight - started off with a margherita but added olives, then Nduja, then ended up adding a whole skinned and crumbled Italian sausage until the whole thing was so heavy on the metal peel that it needed copious amounts of semolina wedged under with the spatula to get it to budge. Pizza came out fine but then the excess semolina combusted in the Sage Pizziola and I had something of an inferno in the kitchen that was thankfully confined to the pizza oven.

Less is more with Neapolitan style I guess!

Blog Entries
    I've ordered a wooden peel to put the pizza in the oven. I'll still use the metal one to remove it but the dough does tend to stick to the metal peel, particularly if there are more ingredients than usual that weigh the pizza down and I hear the wooden peels are far less sticky
    That’s strange that the bases are sticking to your metal peel. Crazy question but you are not topping them on the peel??

I use Caputo semolina to very lightly dust my GI before dragging the pizza onto it and then stretch and shake further and never had any issues

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    That’s strange that the bases are sticking to your metal peel. Crazy question but you are not topping them on the peel??

I use Caputo semolina to very lightly dust my GI before dragging the pizza onto it and then stretch and shake further and never had any issues

Pitch
    I am indeed topping them on the peel. Seems like that wasn't a smart move?

Less is more with Neapolitan style I guess!
    Absolutely!

Master
    I top mine on the peel as well (but give it a little jiggle to check it’s still moving fine before doing so).

Master
    Sage Pizzaioli currently on offer from Brand Alley. £499 (32% off) plus a further £15 off for your first order over £75 with code INSIDER.

https://www.brandalley.co.uk/1807672...fault_products

Andy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ooni 16 owners. Do you turn the heat down when you put the pizza in or keep it on max?

Blog Entries
    I am indeed topping them on the peel. Seems like that wasn't a smart move?
    That could be the problem squire. But …… when I began I always made mine on wooden peels and then launched straight off, many a time a complete mess in the oven. LOL.

I tend to stretch mine on the worktop but not to the finished size, top, slide onto the peel, stretch big and then rearrange toppings if needed.

Hope that helps

Pitch

Master
    Pizza Party is in the house. Now to work out when I can get a few minutes to set the whole thing up!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Pizza Party is in the house. Now to work out when I can get a few minutes to set the whole thing up!

You tart !!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the pics buddy.

Pitch

Master
    You tart !!!!!!!!

Looking forward to the pics buddy.

Pitch
    Learning from the best!

Will certainly update with pictures.

Blog Entries
    Learning from the best!

Will certainly update with pictures.
    Funny.

Pitch

Craftsman
    Ooni 16 owners. Do you turn the heat down when you put the pizza in or keep it on max?
    I keep it on max but preheat till the stone is at least 400 degrees C towards the back of the oven (15 - 20 minutes) to make sure the base is nicely crisped before the top burns.

Master
    Turn the gas to almost completely off, not the low setting, but moving the controller right until it almost goes out. Cook the base for a bit and then increase the flame to finish the top.

Master

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Aren’t Neapolitan bases supposed to be soggy!??

My family prefer them crispier so I do turn heat down a bit and give it a little more time on the stone. But maybe this is not the true Neapolitan way!
    Last edited by Boss13; 1st June 2023 at 17:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Sage Pizzaioli currently on offer from Brand Alley. £499 (32% off) plus a further £15 off for your first order over £75 with code INSIDER.

https://www.brandalley.co.uk/1807672...fault_products

Andy.
    I’m quite interested in one of these from a versatility perspective, inside as well as outside use.
    There don’t seem to be many reviews though, does anyone on here use one?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    I keep it on max but preheat till the stone is at least 400 degrees C towards the back of the oven (15 - 20 minutes) to make sure the base is nicely crisped before the top burns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Turn the gas to almost completely off, not the low setting, but moving the controller right until it almost goes out. Cook the base for a bit and then increase the flame to finish the top.
    I normally keep it on full. It's hard though not to burn the crust. Think the next batch I'll keep it on full just to compare the 00 flour with strong white flour. After that I'll try turning it down just before launching. I don't have a thermometer so never shore how hot the stone is that's why I keep it in high. I always wait 20mins after firing the ooni up.

Master
    I normally keep it on full. It's hard though not to burn the crust. Think the next batch I'll keep it on full just to compare the 00 flour with strong white flour. After that I'll try turning it down just before launching. I don't have a thermometer so never shore how hot the stone is that's why I keep it in high. I always wait 20mins after firing the ooni up.
    Good process to check, but an IR thermo is cheap to know where you are.

I drop it to low so I can control the cook better, will be interesting to see what difference my biscotto stone makes on the cook...another learning curve I am sure.

Holds heat for longer, thicker than Ooni stone so the crust and pizza is higher in the oven.

My stretch game has thankfully improved as I've gotten more experience

Blog Entries
    My stretch game has thankfully improved as I've gotten more experience
    That’s looking very bloody good.

Try one with adding the basil after the bake. I personally prefer prosciutto and basil not cooked.

Try it and agree/dis. Personal pref as always

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    I’m quite interested in one of these from a versatility perspective, inside as well as outside use.
    Im sure Ryan mentioned further up the page that he uses the Sage oven.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Yep I have one and I really like it. I bought it from very.co.uk by setting up a credit account (29% APR!) But they give 20% off for 1st orders so it cost £400 based on the promo price of £500 (usual RRP is £730) and then I paid it off in full in the 1st month so paid no interest.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 2nd June 2023 at 21:07.

That’s looking very bloody good.

Try one with adding the basil after the bake. I personally prefer prosciutto and basil not cooked.

Try it and agree/dis. Personal pref as always

Pitch

Thanks and yes I will try basil after the bake next time as it does get a bit burned in the high heat. I did a hot Margherita - so added chillies and Nduja. Strong lighting makes the Nduja look burned in the pic but it wasn't.

I've also had to learn to not overdo the toppings. Always seems like you should add more tomato sauce but that makes it too soupy (I use 2 tablespoons only) and also a 125g ball of Mozzarella does 3 pizzas so a third each time plus a sprinkle of Parmigiano.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 2nd June 2023 at 21:11.

Blog Entries
    You are doing fantastic Ryan and picking the tricks up.

Your pizza looks great and quite right on the toppings in keeping them light. Also when I knock garlic bread out I generally give the base no more than a min and then take out and brush garlic butter all over including the crust and then straight back in, prevents burning. It can be too much adding loads on before the initial bake.

Pitch

Master
    Excelent progress RyanB, you have picked it all up very quickly!

Are you using semolina?

Excelent progress RyanB, you have picked it all up very quickly!

Are you using semolina?
    Hi.

Tipo 00 flour but then coated in semolina before stretching. I like the bit of crunch it provides.

You are doing fantastic Ryan and picking the tricks up.

Your pizza looks great and quite right on the toppings in keeping them light. Also when I knock garlic bread out I generally give the base no more than a min and then take out and brush garlic butter all over including the crust and then straight back in, prevents burning. It can be too much adding loads on before the initial bake.

Pitch
    Cheers!

Master
    Hi.

Tipo 00 flour but then coated in semolina before stretching. I like the bit of crunch it provides.
    Thought I could spot those semolina specs on the crust, looks good.

I’ve had the Ooni for a couple of weeks now, but so far haven’t done dough made from scratch.

Any suggestions? What equipment do you use for storing during the rise? Can it just stay in the mixer bowl for the first rise? And then what do you put it in once divided up into balls?

The pizza trays on Amazon are expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJSmith View Post
    I’ve had the Ooni for a couple of weeks now, but so far haven’t done dough made from scratch.

Any suggestions? What equipment do you use for storing during the rise? Can it just stay in the mixer bowl for the first rise? And then what do you put it in once divided up into balls?

The pizza trays on Amazon are expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Welcome fella.

Download the pizza app and use that as a start regarding quants and times, but in principle the more time to prove less the yeast.

I bulk prove in big airtight containers and then when balled you can use proper boxes, I use GI Metal ones, but anything big and flat, I did use under bed boxes from home bargains.

I think there is a theme here but the GI dough scraper is a superb bit of kit for lifting dough balls out.

Pitch

Yep I have one and I really like it. I bought it from very.co.uk by setting up a credit account (29% APR!) But they give 20% off for 1st orders so it cost £400 based on the promo price of £500 (usual RRP is £730) and then I paid it off in full in the 1st month so paid no interest.
    You’re certainly getting excellent results. Sorely tempted to get one to replace my Ooni which has never really been up to much.

Only problem is storage as no room to have it permanently on the worktop.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    You’re certainly getting excellent results. Sorely tempted to get one to replace my Ooni which has never really been up to much.

Only problem is storage as no room to have it permanently on the worktop.
    What's wrong with the ooni?

Also Ryan. How long do the pizza's go in them sage ovens for?

Also Ryan. How long do the pizza's go in them sage ovens for?
    Hi.

The Neapolitan style pizzas take just under 2 minutes

Never got to a decent temperature with wood. Grate where wood goes warped, doesn’t fit properly - just general poor quality.

Bought a gas burner for it which is forever cutting out.