closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’ve not tried anything different to my restaurant big k, will def give it a go as need to cook more things on the egg, default mode is as a smoker mostly.
    I put a small brisket in (2kg) to smoke at 06:30 this morning. So versatile from pizza at 800f last night to a smoker at 225f next day. If I could only have one outdoor cooker it would be the Kamado as it is pretty good to outstanding across many different cooking options. Luckily I have the space for the Ooni too :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    I put a small brisket in (2kg) to smoke at 06:30 this morning. So versatile from pizza at 800f last night to a smoker at 225f next day. If I could only have one outdoor cooker it would be the Kamado as it is pretty good to outstanding across many different cooking options. Luckily I have the space for the Ooni too :-)
    Funny I had brisket from the sous vide yesterday, first time and not bad but I think it could have had a bit more fat left on it.

Master
    I’d left it to turn to carbon, scraped it all off etc as there was no way the next one would have a hope of not sticking otherwise.

Wasn’t brace enough to try to turn the stone over at that temp!

I will go for bigger balls next time and see how that works out for me.

My wife has already mocked me this morning again for them.
    I’d scrap that idea, your stone looks perhaps half as thin as the 3s one, you might snap it more easily.

I can’t recall what % hydration your dough was but perhaps try winding it back 5% while your on the learning curve?
    Also try and keep the peel parallel to the stone rather than at an angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I’d scrap that idea, your stone looks perhaps half as thin as the 3s one, you might snap it more easily.

I can’t recall what % hydration your dough was but perhaps try winding it back 5% while your on the learning curve?
    Also try and keep the peel parallel to the stone rather than at an angle.
    Agree, leave the stone where it is. If you have an accident, just crank up the heat and wait 10 minutes. Get a copper or brass brush to clean the stone while it hot.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Amazing chaps, well done and yep Matt we have all been there pal as I said last night.

I have generally run with 250g balls but I am going to give 270g a try next weekend, my first was very thin, would be good to hear views.

First fire up last night of the Clementi and bloody hell its good, even for a first try with playing with the baffle and door in and out, lots more playing to get it spot on.

The pics ..

image safe

Looks great.

Doesn't it feel fantastic to be playing with a real boy's toy? I love mine.

I

Thanks for all the advice in this thread.. best ones yet tonight! The kids gave them a 9/10

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Amazing chaps, well done and yep Matt we have all been there pal as I said last night.

I have generally run with 250g balls but I am going to give 270g a try next weekend, my first was very thin, would be good to hear views.

First fire up last night of the Clementi and bloody hell its good, even for a first try with playing with the baffle and door in and out, lots more playing to get it spot on.

The pics ..

image safe
    Love the flames curving over the top! Don't get me tempted :-)

Master
    I cleaned the stone with one of my bbq brushes after it had turned to carbon. So was smooth again after.

Will try the lower hydration, perhaps too much at the start.

Although to be fair, I can almost cut my finger on the Ooni peel cut outs, so can see how it just ripped through the dough. I had no issues with my old peel without the vents, so might drop Ooni a note before it spend / waste my time rubbing them down.

Where they have been punched & pressed it really is rough there. I imagine with a thin base that would easily tear through.

Or I’m looking for excuses lol

Master
    Eureka moment today, the last 4-5 bakes have been a bit meh, ever since I got the bag of caputo blue as in a few of my earlier posts eluded to.

With a lack of my previous flour to compare with I’ve played with ball size and hydration but had no joy, today I remembered I had some new small packs of idy and thought I’d try that and much happier with the results more rise, lighter crust just much better.

I checked the old idy I had in the fridge and it’s use by was end of last month, I wouldn’t have thought that the performance would have dropped off so quickly and I’ll run another test with the new yeast to confirm I’ve found the issue but fingers crossed.

Blog Entries
    Eureka moment today, the last 4-5 bakes have been a bit meh, ever since I got the bag of caputo blue as in a few of my earlier posts eluded to.

With a lack of my previous flour to compare with I’ve played with ball size and hydration but had no joy, today I remembered I had some new small packs of idy and thought I’d try that and much happier with the results more rise, lighter crust just much better.

I checked the old idy I had in the fridge and it’s use by was end of last month, I wouldn’t have thought that the performance would have dropped off so quickly and I’ll run another test with the new yeast to confirm I’ve found the issue but fingers crossed.
    Have you used CY much, if so how does it compare to IDY buddy.

Cheers

Pitch

Master
    Oh god not specific yeasts I need now lol.

I’ve got Tesco dried yeast sachets as was all I had & there was none in stock anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Oh god not specific yeasts I need now lol.

I’ve got Tesco dried yeast sachets as was all I had & there was none in stock anywhere!

Only just starting buddy.......this is gonna cost you a fortune...... I'm now looking at upgrading my two old ageing peels and some nice ss storage containers

Great fun 'init!!!!!!!!!

Pitch

Own up - how many peels have you got?

I have five.

Master
    I’ve just ordered some 2mm needle files to take the edges off my perforations. Whilst probably not the reason for my failure I can leave a mark on the back of my hand from where it has been punched.

If anyone needs similar, I had to buy 10 as 2 were the same price, so happy to post out.

Wanting to get a non perforated one already. Every forum makes me spend money, I was far wealthier before the internet I’m sure. Certainly pre lock down!

Raffe - why so many peels?? I can get to 2 for loading & prepping and 1 for turning. Do you have 1 to carry it to the table and another kept for best?

Master
    Only just starting buddy.......this is gonna cost you a fortune...... I'm now looking at upgrading my two old ageing peels and some nice ss storage containers

Great fun 'init!!!!!!!!!

Pitch
    I’m trying to find a good flour store that I can keep in the garage without feeding all the mice. Seems a lot of flour to own, but significantly cheaper than buying by the kilo.

Master
    Have you used CY much, if so how does it compare to IDY buddy.

Cheers

Pitch
    Soz never used cy, I opened a sachet of supermarket idy as a test, I’ve got a pack of ady to try to but didn’t want to open it till I knew the old yeast was the issue.

Raffe - why so many peels?? I can get to 2 for loading & prepping and 1 for turning. Do you have 1 to carry it to the table and another kept for best?

Started with a square aluminium one, I only use it for loading wood into the oven now. Then I bought a wooden one, don't use it much these days. Then a round one, but bought a 30cm one which is inconvenient for turning the pizza (so I use the large one with the electric oven and the new 20cm round peel is with the outdoor oven). Then I bought a coated Lilly peel (not perforated) which I use for loading.

You will agree with me that I am still one peel short: a second Lilly for the outside oven.

How many dough spatulas do you have?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

I have five.
    Ha!!!!

Three metal and 6 wooden I always use to make up and launch with.

Just ordered new ones so two incoming G I Metal’s to join them.

Pitch

Master
    Only one wooden and an Ooni 14” perforated which I’m going to modify.

Having watched a few more videos on dough prep, when I’m using my fingers to prod the dough out and form the crust edge, I’m starting in the centre vs just outside hence making that middle part where they split too thin & combined with lower dough weight and early turning is likely my cause.

Will still file the peel holes down though as cannot believe they couldn’t play a part in the future. Like a mild cheese grater!

Raining here today & most of the week. Next trial likely to be Friday, might make a small batch of dough up to practice my base making.

For those buying 25kg bags of flour, what are you storing it in?

For those buying 25kg bags of flour, what are you storing it in?
    I split it into the largest size (6 liter) IKEA sealable and reusable platic bags and keep it in the basement.

Blog Entries

Master
    That looks like a good lockdown (until you get raided🤣).

Master
    I had to evict the vacuum cleaner, from here.

To here.

Master
    Thanks gents, some food for thought there. Did think of a flour bin but seemed a daft size - and then the wife offered some feedback!

Like the idea of bags and some Ikea ware, amazing how much the bulk buy bring the flour price down.

Also looking at that 1kg mozzarella pre grated that was posted. Assuming it freezes well enough, it’s just a cheese so can’t see why not.

Can’t wait to experiment again but conscious of the calories.

Anyone found a good dominos herb & garlic sauce recipe option (my wife not me! She eats dip with everything, I now just ignore it & am glad she won’t ask for it when we are out somewhere nice!)

Master
    Regarding flour storage. Bought a blue barrel from amazon which they say is food safe. Thoroughly washed and dried it...just need to put the flour in now. Looks perfect. Airtight and they claim will fit 25kg flour. It is called oipps 60l plastic... (that is enough for it to come up on search)

I also purchased those 1kg cheese packets and have frozen them. Pizza comes out fine. Not sure how to thaw only part of the packet though and keep the rest frozen!! It is a lot to get through. I find the mozzarella balls from supermarkets are pretty good.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I freeze mozzarella in retail packaging, just throw the little plastic bag with the liquid into the freezer. Take it out the day before the bake and is like it never was frozen.

Master
    I freeze mozzarella in retail packaging, just throw the little plastic bag with the liquid into the freezer. Take it out the day before the bake and is like it never was frozen.
    Ah I meant the grated 1kg bag that I think Pitch linked earlier in the thread. (from Adimaria)

I did not realise you could also freeze the 'ball bags'...may try that next time.

For grated cheese I would take a large plastic bag and load a small layer into the flat bag. Put it into the freezer and once frozen, break up (or crumble) the cheese (and put into more convenient storage box if so inclined).

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Used a vacuum sealer today to split 500g of dry yeast into 100g packets. Also works well for cheese etc.

Tonight's pizza: Pizza Fiocco a la Roberto Susta.

To start, I prepared a 72% hydration dough from 40% Caputo blue, 45% Caputo red and 15% organic spelt flour. I only started last night, so this one only had 18 hrs of proofing.

The dough is amazing, so light and despite the high hydration not sticky at all (the six stretch and folds may have helped, as always no kneading).

Started with some heat-resistant cream (this my daughter's pizza, forgot to take a photo of mine with cream only):

Then a layer of organic ham and mozarella, followed by the potatoes and some frsh pecorino (no parmesan in the house)

Into the Effeuno

The pizza is simply delicious, the very fluffy high-hydration dough is simply perfect for this style. Incredibly light, especially considering this was only a 18-hour proof. Next time I will be a little more generous with cream and ham.

Damn that looks good Raffe!! I need to get more adventurous with dough.

Blog Entries
    Spot on buddy looks amazing 👏🏼👏🏼

Pitch

Master
    Bloody show off Raffe!!

Looks amazing.

Having spent 10hrs strapped to my laptop on calls today, looked through the freezer to see what was easy to cook ore 'family birthday quiz'

Chicago town, 22mins, as was due to rain all day & didn't prep dough.

Karma served, managed to drop both on the floor & landed toping side down.

After screwing up the Ooni pizzas, I cant even make oven ones...the shame!

Blog Entries
    Oh yes.

Pitch

baby boy names 1992

Craftsman

I have five.
    2 but on the look out for another....

Master
    Oh yes.

Pitch

baby boy names 1992
    Did they only have the ‘Social Distancing’ versions in stock then bud? ;-)

Master
    HA!

Great set up Pitch. If you are ever in London and have a few days spare...I have a build job for you in my garden

Oh yes.

Pitch

baby boy names 1992
    Those are really good.

I have now learned to master the pickup of the pizza from the preperation board by just sliding the peel underneath in one elegant move. Wouldn't be possible without one of those hi-tech peels.

Master
    Paul, those peels are mental. I’ve failed to control a short one - I would be comical / dangerous with one of these boys!

Blog Entries
    😂😂😂 They did offer a cut to size service but I will do it myself buddy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    HA!

Great set up Pitch. If you are ever in London and have a few days spare...I have a build job for you in my garden
    This one has took me long enough bud, I will send you the plans.

Blog Entries
    Those are really good.

I have now learned to master the pickup of the pizza from the preperation board by just sliding the peel underneath in one elegant move. Wouldn't be possible without one of those hi-tech peels.
    That’s good to hear Raffe I had to sell a kidney to buy them 😳

Blog Entries
    Paul, those peels are mental. I’ve failed to control a short one - I would be comical / dangerous with one of these boys!
    You will get there Matt. With the new oven I thought I better up my game.

Cheers again guys.

Pitch

Master
    What’s the make of those bad boys then?

Is the pizza turner only really if any use with a larger oven vs rotating with my metal peel?

New 250g heavy balls in the fridge from lunchtime today for attempt 2 Friday night. Looking forward to it & learning from mistakes last time.

Blog Entries
    They are GI Metal Matt, these are the the ones from the Napoletana range which is suitable for higher temp ovens.

They are also Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana approved (approved to make real Neapolitan pizzas). I’m a sucker .....

Quality is fantastic, go do it son you know want to 

Further parcel coming tomorrow.

Pitch

Oh and looking forward to a big step up tomorrow and the pics. No pressure hehehe

Blog Entries
    I know, I know, but needed a nice dispenser for cheese, source, meat, basil etc......

That is me all done now, honest.

can i buy a car without a license australia

Master
    ^ of course you did!
    Well tonight pre quiz pizzas were much more of a success, 250g balls, not as thin in the centre after watching a few videos & a more positive peel action for turning after waiting longer.

I now need to find a balance between missed edges and not being slightly too doughy in the centre.

I also think my yeast is broken as very little rise despite 24hr CT & 8Hr RT.

At least there were 2 edible pizzas at the end & no inferno of molten cheese / toppings to deal with. Happy days!

Master
    They look better than the last effort ;-)

What were the dough balls like pre-stretching?

Also do you have a ir thermometer, if so what were the stone temps?

Master
    They look better than the last effort ;-)

What were the dough balls like pre-stretching?

Also do you have a ir thermometer, if so what were the stone temps?
    Thanks, although the bar had been set fairly low!

Dough didn't stretch as easily as previous attempt, only difference was 24hr CT vs just an 8hr RT, although the 8hrs was 14C vs 20C last time. They looked and felt the same 'velvety' feel when balling them up. Didn't feel as thin as last week's effort although cant judge properly as last week's pizza 'middle' didn't make the plate!

Stone temp was 400C in the centre, 450C at the rear left in the hottest part. Once the first pizza was in, I dropped the gas to low & still had a little char. Second was after being kept on low whilst eating the first to share. The temp second time was lower at 375 or lower in the middle, as tried to restrict the level of top cooking / crust char to give the base more time, but seemed to be worse.

Wondering on trialling the in @ 400C base temp, gas off / on to manage the mix. The low vs med mix doesn't seem much of a difference vs a gas bbq, one to research further.

Happy wife though, just need to work out a dominos garlic & herb dip for her next :D

Master
    My gut feel is that the stones not getting hot enough, in my 3s it’s north of 500°c, certainly the second one at 375 is low, you should be whacking the heat back up to get the stone back up to temp. By the time I’ve made the second pizza my oven is back up to temp and I can whack 4-6 out without much issue.

I’m wondering if there’s a knack to the 16” koda?
    I had issues with mine until a made a flame guard that pushes the flames up over the pizza, perhaps it’s something like that?

Have you had a look on fb to see if other owners are having similar challenges.

As I keep telling my wife it’s as much art as science.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 1st May 2020 at 22:43.