closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Master
    Awaiting the flour, but had forgotten about the egg & pizzas in my drive for the Koda 16, not sure how!

Will try both options and see what I prefer had never even thought about it.

@Glen, what temps are you using in the oven to get a finish like that & roughly what sort of time? Looks very impressive.

Discovered a wood fired pizza delivery about 2 miles down the road this week with an alleged Italian chef, very good pizza but a little on the cool side from the delivery. Inspired me more to get making my own!

Master
    Last nights efforts, 28h rt 60%hydration, I didn’t have high hopes as the dough over proofed and was collapsing
    But not bad at all, ordered some scales with a finer resolution to help when using >2g of yeast

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Thanks guys, will expand a bit. Have been trying pizza for just over a year now, perhaps 10-12 tries so far. Also I am Dutch so I may be following other guidnance compared to some of you here. I bought a book from a Dutch author called "the pizza bible" and try to follow the recipies and instructions for dough in there. As far as I can see some of use apps here, I just converted the instructions to excel.

The results above were in a regular oven, I use it at the maximum temperature: 270 degrees and pre heat for 90 minutes to ensure the stone is really hot. I cheat a bit as I put the stone rather high and activate the grill element for some direct heat on top. Without the grill pizza's are also fine just a little bit more pale as 270 degrees is just not that hot.

I have purchased a 3cm thick stone for it from amazon. The thickness was recommended to keep the heat in the stone and allow for multple pizzas without the stone losing too much heat.

However I started on a weber, here is one of my first tries.

As you can see I failed terribly at the dough, pizza was stuck on the peel and ended up a mess. My BBQ is only a 47cm weber so the stone I can use is rather small. After a few tries I gave up on using the weber for a few reasons.
    • temperature control: while busy in the kitchen on dough/pizza/toppings I don't want to worry if my bbq is the right temperature. This is fine for the first few pizza's but as you dine longer temperatures start to drop
    • ashes: with the lid it's easy to get ashes on the pizza, opening the lid makes the ashes fly ( I do lift it sideways, lots of wind here)
    • small stone: the 47cm weber is just too small, allows only for a small stone

Next move was an electric G3 ferrari oven. I loved that for the first three nights making pizza! It heats up quickly and makes great pizza, fits in my kitchen nicely (no more running to the garden with a pizza peel). However the fourth nigh, when trying the 4th pizza the earth leakage circuit breaker (I google translated that) flipped, four times. I am no electricien So I can't stand devices that make my lights go off and I returned it. Safety first. Secondly, I could not bake the 4th pizza without the breaker flipping again.

sample using the G3 ferrari. gravity defying pizza, slice didn't bend

I then considered a kodi oona. After reading many reviews I have my mind set on the gas powered one. Very much aware the wood fueled version has more appeal but I read temperature control is easier with gas, wood produces ash that can cover the pizza (in a small ooni, dont have room'for something like a pizza party ) and lastly I learned you hardly taste that it is baked with wood (ooni gas vs ooni pellets). So a pragmatic approach. However that was mid winter so I opted for an oven stone first. This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pimotti-202.../dp/B008HAPF28

And must say I am quite happy with results so far, especially using the grill feature. Still looking at the ooni though. Noticed the bigger version is just out which is on the wish list. For now sticking to the oven and focussing on my dough.

Last time I made dough. I got a proper case for christmas which really helps, no more fooling around with small containers and foil.

Current dough mix: made 24hrs before, then straight to fridge and then out of the fridge 2/3hrs before baking
    • 100% flower
    • 53% water
    • 2% salt
    • 2% olive oil
    • 0,5% yeast (not fresh)

Really curious to learn about the advantages between the small and larger (newer) ooni, so if anyone can share on the benefits that would be great! 13 inch pizza's wold be fine for me but I reckon a larger oven is easier to work with as wellm rather than allowing for larger pizza's.

Jasper
    Last edited by Glen Goyne; 11th April 2020 at 08:06.

Hey Jasper, thanks for posting, quite a journey. I started on the Weber as well but also quickly discarded the idea - nothing like a real pizza oven. There is nothing wrong with gas or electric ovens, even the most passionate pizza lovers will not recognise the wood fired oven in a blind tasting. Nevertheless it's fun to fire up a real oven, that's why I bought one. If you liked the convenience of the inhouse baking, have a look at Effeuno electrical ovens before you buy the Ooni. They are fantastic, I am baking most of my pies in it. https://www.gastrovens.com/en/pizza-...mo-natale.html

As to the dough, there belongs absolutely no olive oil in it and your hydration of 53% seems very low (I use 65-72%). Here is the link to the original recipe for real Pizza Napoletana.

Master
    Thanks for posting that Jasper.

Also started on a Weber but the 57cm before moving onto the BGE.

I have ordered the larger Koda from Ooni, so will let you know my thoughts when it arrives. I chose this for the extra space / ability to move the pizza as well as the larger L shaped burner.

Master
    You look to be well on your way already Jasper, they are some good looking pizzas.

I’ve had a unni3s for 2 or 3 years now and if I was buying again I would go for one of the larger wood fired ovens like the one Pitch has just brought. But if I couldn’t then I think a gas powered onni koda 16 looks good, messing with the wood pellets does get a pain, as does cooking with the door on so you can’t see your pizza burn.

However if I had room in the kitchen I’d be very interested in an electric oven like Raffe’s as that opens up year round pizza.

Interesting views all, thanks. Guess a wood fueled oven is still my dream (not based on any rational thoughts though, same reaseon I use coals on my barbecue). Practically the ooni gas sounds great, however electric opens options year round and would probably be the smart choice (head not heart).

I also noticed my recipe is low on water. It's the recipe used in the "pizza bible", the owner has a pizza catering service (brings ovens to parties). The recipe with olive oil is indeed not napolitan, as there are strict rules involved for recipe, ingredient and preperation. My plan is to first perfect my technique and pizza using these guidelines, then when I have enough consistency I will start playing around more.

Great little hobby, always nice to see the results. Enjoy Easter and hapy baking!

Just lit the oven.

Last edited by Raffe; 12th April 2020 at 15:59.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    You look to be well on your way already Jasper, they are some good looking pizzas.

I’ve had a unni3s for 2 or 3 years now and if I was buying again I would go for one of the larger wood fired ovens like the one Pitch has just brought. But if I couldn’t then I think a gas powered onni koda 16 looks good, messing with the wood pellets does get a pain, as does cooking with the door on so you can’t see your pizza burn.

However if I had room in the kitchen I’d be very interested in an electric oven like Raffe’s as that opens up year round pizza.
    Have you tried the gas add on - I’ve got one - just not tried it yet
    Just today bought the ooni (3) upto my new house - it’s still boxed
    I sold my S2 and bought the 3 at a bargain price last year - there is a guy on eBay who does a grate for the 3 so you can use wood

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Have you tried the gas add on - I’ve got one - just not tried it yet
    Just today bought the ooni (3) upto my new house - it’s still boxed
    I sold my S2 and bought the 3 at a bargain price last year - there is a guy on eBay who does a grate for the 3 so you can use wood
    Nope, tbh I’m not going to spend more on the onni, I’ll look to get something that will do larger 16” pizzas at some point.

Thanks for the heads up though

I've been enjoying reading through this thread and now thinking of getting an Ooni Koda to have a go myself. Is there anything else worth ordering from Ooni at the same time? Maybe the cover? I'm guessing better value peels can be found elsewhere like Amazon?

I suppose I'm also going to struggle to get flour and an IR thermometer. Are there any other tools I'll need or would be useful? Thanks!

I took the plunge and ordered yesterday. If you sign up to their newsletter you get a 5% discount code off your first order.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalVilla View Post
    I've been enjoying reading through this thread and now thinking of getting an Ooni Koda to have a go myself. Is there anything else worth ordering from Ooni at the same time? Maybe the cover? I'm guessing better value peels can be found elsewhere like Amazon?

I suppose I'm also going to struggle to get flour and an IR thermometer. Are there any other tools I'll need or would be useful? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    This is just great, nearly two years since I started this thread and I wonder how much money it’s generated to the pizza oven and ingredient supply chain. 😂😂😂

From my initial set up six years ago to the current rebuild and new Clementi I dread to think what it has cost, but the enjoyment and afternoons and evenings spent with friends and family has been worth every penny and more. I can’t wait to get the new kid up and running but needing 600mm of flue and flashing kit and they are hardly essential at the mo.

Keep having fun chaps and looking forward to seeing the new guys set ups and pizzas.

Pitch

Master
    Haha 2 years & only just ordered my oven!

Can’t wait for it to arrive.

Have just done the first 2 lots over the past week. I love cooking pizza with the kids, they get so into it . Generally do 5 165g balls between the four of us (wife and a 7 and 10 year old). Only minor issue was the dough sprang back a bit when stretching.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

I look forward to your 2022 purchase of an air-fryer

Master
    I look forward to your 2022 purchase of an air-fryer
    Funny that. We just bought one of those last week...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Funny that. We just bought one of those last week...
    The latest Ninja is superb.

Hahaha

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Another impulse purchase then Matt......LOL....

Good to see you have finally got your backside in gear. Lov it.. Great work son and can’t wait to see the damage.

Ta
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Have just done the first 2 lots over the past week. I love cooking pizza with the kids, they get so into it . Generally do 5 165g balls between the four of us (wife and a 7 and 10 year old). Only minor issue was the dough sprang back a bit when stretching.

You need to leave ‘em proving longer when balled and be gentle, don’t knock them back, balls seem a little light also you may be trying to do too much with them.

Same here although grandkiddies, 2, 4(x2) 6 and 8 they absolutely love making pizza with Papa.

Pitch

Fuck I’m hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    You need to leave ‘em proving longer when balled and be gentle, don’t knock them back, balls seem a little light also you may be trying to do too much with them.

Same here although grandkiddies, 2, 4(x2) 6 and 8 they absolutely love making pizza with Papa.

Pitch
    Thanks! Not sure if I’ve missed it but how do you prove/store the balls so they don’t get a dry crust? I proved them in the fridge overnight, and then took them out to get to room temp before stretching. Does that sound right?

Might as well hone my skills whilst in lockdown so any advice welcome.

Thanks! Not sure if I’ve missed it but how do you prove/store the balls so they don’t get a dry crust? I proved them in the fridge overnight, and then took them out to get to room temp before stretching. Does that sound right?

Make sure they are covered airtight, I use flat storage containers with a lid. The rest sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Make sure they are covered airtight, I use flat storage containers with a lid. The rest sounds good.
    Thanks Raffe. I’ve just been leaving on a plate- need to get some Tupperware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Another impulse purchase then Matt......LOL....

Good to see you have finally got your backside in gear. Lov it.. Great work son and can’t wait to see the damage.

Ta
    Paul
    Caputo and San Marzano tomatoes got delivered this morning. It’s getting closer and can’t wait!

Very lazy pizza planned tonight in the oven with a Crosta & Mollica base that SHMBO purchased, interesting to see how it works to be honest.

Blog Entries

Yep, as Raffe says, I use I 5lt lunch box from Sainsburys. Pop the dough in put the lid on and this will happen.

Pitch

Master
    Yep, as Raffe says, I use I 5lt lunch box from Sainsburys. Pop the dough in put the lid on and this will happen.

Pitch

Pitch your second photo looks like the dough has over proofed or am I missing something?

I’d add I also keep the proofing boxes covered to stop sunlight getting on the dough.

Pitch your second photo looks like the dough has over proofed or am I missing something?

I’d add I also keep the proofing boxes covered to stop sunlight getting on the dough.
    Looks absolutely fab, next step is balling up and 4-5 hours of final proof before baking.

Thanks Pitch and Raffe! Pitch how much dough was in that 5ltr box please?

Master
    Looks absolutely fab, next step is balling up and 4-5 hours of final proof before baking.
    Interesting perhaps it’s a perspective issue, or that I generally do my first proof in a bowl so has a different shape.

I thought it looked like a batch I’d made that was over proofed. I have also just changed flour to caputo so which I believe Pitch is also using, perhaps there is a difference in holding the structure due to that and my dough was not as over proofed as I though...

Mine looks exactly like that.

Master
    Regardless of type there is still no flour in the shops anywhere near me. Can't believe people are makes stacks of cakes, bread or pizzas but who knows!

Master
    Mine looks exactly like that.
    Are you using caput and a square container too?

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Regardless of type there is still no flour in the shops anywhere near me. Can't believe people are makes stacks of cakes, bread or pizzas but who knows!
    Same here, our local pub is selling on from their suppliers. We can get veg, meat and flour thankfully!

Are you using caput and a square container too?
    Yep.

Blog Entries
    Chaps.

Firstly 457g at 62% Matt.

All batches I have done up till the weekend were 18hr + 6hr RT at 61% and 0.4g of fresh yeast.

This one was the quick one at 62%, 4.0g yeast and 4 + 3 hr RT. It did go mad and was rather chewy when cooked, but worked and stretched really well.

Yep CM, I had moved it back into the kitchen to take the pic as I balled it.

Was the dough chewy due to the fast prove chaps??

Ta

Pitch

Master
    Chaps.

Firstly 457g at 62% Matt.

All batches I have done up till the weekend were 18hr + 6hr RT at 61% and 0.4g of fresh yeast.

This one was the quick one at 62%, 4.0g yeast and 4 + 3 hr RT. It did go mad and was rather chewy when cooked, but worked and stretched really well.

Yep CM, I had moved it back into the kitchen to take the pic as I balled it.

Was the dough chewy due to the fast prove chaps??

Ta

Pitch
    Personally I’m wondering if it’s too much yeast, I’ve just had some “drug dealer” scales delivered as I don’t think our kitchen ones were accurate enough for yeast measurement and I think I’ve been over dosing.

I’m planning on a test run tomorrow or Thursday and checked the pizza app.
    2*250g balls - 60% hydration 8hrs @ 22°c 3% salt is:
    .41g idy
    184g water
    307g flour
    9.2g salt

Which is about what I used when I though I’d over proofed or over dosed the yeast.
    As I said I’ve also just changed flour so I’m wondering if the Sainsbury’s own 00 I used to use is ‘stronger’ than the caputo.

I’ll report back and try and remember to photo the stages.

Blog Entries
    Yep be interested to see how it goes.

The yeast seemed high, just checked and it was 3g I used see below.

But shorter fermentation so guessed it was right, it was hot on Friday though.

Drug dealer scales 😂😂 Yep that’s what I have used for years for yeast.

Pitch

Crikey, some of this stuff makes OOTB VRF Wrapped 116618LB A2836 sound intelligible.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Crikey, some of this stuff makes OOTB VRF Wrapped 116618LB A2836 sound intelligible.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I wasn’t aware you were using compressed yeast rather than instant dried yeast, but still sounds high given temp on Friday.

Craftsman
    Have been following this thread with interest. Have started experimenting with my Komado, but it burns through lumpwood at a fair rate when cranked up for pizzas.

Ooni currently doing the smaller gas fired Koda (slight paint imperfection) for £202.50 if you sign up to their email and enter the code they send. I just ordered one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Have been following this thread with interest. Have started experimenting with my Komado, but it burns through lumpwood at a fair rate when cranked up for pizzas.

Ooni currently doing the smaller gas fired Koda (slight paint imperfection) for £202.50 if you sign up to their email and enter the code they send. I just ordered one.
    That’s why I decided to get an Ooni, my XL BGE was really eating at my lumpwood

Master

New Oooni Fyra £229 wood pellet only. Like the original Ooni and a Koda had a love child

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Not that impressed with my Ooni Pro running on wood (not pellets). Hardly gets up to 400C and to keep it there needs vast amount of fuel and limit is 5-6 pizzas before grate full up with ash and can’t be emptied mid-run.

Actual pizzas aren’t too bad, though. Had trouble stretching, maybe because using bread, not pizza, flour.

Will be ordering gas burner and see if that’s any better. Was thinking of building my own clay oven this summer but obviously can’t now.

Ooni have a free PDF/E-Book of recipes downloadable at https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...f?v=1585914877 if anyone is interested.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Back to a post a made a few days ago about over proofing and or changes in the doughs character with different flour.

These photos are from my last bake and there is definitely less height and more 'spread' when using the caputo flour compared to my old 00 Sainsburys flour.

Start of 4h rt bulk:

After 4h bulk at rt and balled:

4h after balling:

Results:

Easy Peeler just for scale not some exotic dough ball ;-)

The dough was: 2*250g balls - 60% hydration 8hrs @ 22°c 3% salt is:
    .41g idy
    184g water
    307g flour
    9.2g salt

The caputo is definitely easier to handle and stretch with a great chewy crust.

I guess my question is is this just a 'feature' of caputo or is there something else I need to consider?

Why do I think its an issue, well a) its just a difference and I'm intrigued, b) When the world returns to semi-normal and we have folks over making multiple balls and proofing them in a single tray will see them all re-join and make getting them out without losing there air a potential issue.

Blog Entries
    My experience exactly with Caputo Blue buddy. It spreads and flattens and is just so easy to work with.

I upped my fresh yeast last week and dropped from my 18+6 RT fermentation to 4+2. It was definitely more chewy and didn't see to work as well.

I have just knocked a batch up for nan bread tonight with melted butter and natural yogurt. I don't think it is going to end well..

Pitch

Agree. A good flour is the most important ingredient.

I found a leftover ball from two days ago in the fridge, took it out this morning and just baked a delicious pizza from it. The original proof was 22h RT, this one has had an additional 48h in the fridge and then some more room temperature, didn't really hurt it.

I baked it with onions, ground peperonici, tuna and salami. Fantastico!

Master
    My experience exactly with Caputo Blue buddy. It spreads and flattens and is just so easy to work with.

I upped my fresh yeast last week and dropped from my 18+6 RT fermentation to 4+2. It was definitely more chewy and didn't see to work as well.

I have just knocked a batch up for nan bread tonight with melted butter and natural yogurt. I don't think it is going to end well..

Pitch
    Interested in the recipe for the naan!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk