closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Italian salciccia, cèpes and mozzarella.

Really nice.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    After mastering our skills on the pizza stone in the oven for many years, we're going to get an Ooni Koda 16 in Aug/Sept, when they're shipping again.

My question is, how do people manage cooking outdoors with it? Do you have it under an awning, or some other canopy? Reason I ask is that while the weather is lovely now, we get a lot of rain where we live and outdoor cooking isn't practical or realistic throughout the year.
    I am doing most of my cooks in my electrical oven, use the outdoor only when the sun is shining.

I had an Ooni before and the weather dependency was one of the reasons I wasn't that happy with it. I also have a Weber gas grill on my balcony and that one is used 365 days every year, but with pizza it's a little different as you cannot wait a few minutes when it pours like crazy, if the pizza is in the oven you need to be out besides it. I found that very unpractical during the winter.

Master
    Couple from the Roccbox - first time it's been out since we moved a year ago :(

^^ Beautiful! I bet you enjoyed these.

Master
    They came out great - pleased with the dough as it was a same day decision - 8 hours or so.
    Rosemary from the garden, San Marzano from CostCo and pepperoni from, er, Lidl.

Blue cheese and onion on Wednesday if I can find some more gas...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Couple from the Roccbox - first time it's been out since we moved a year ago :(

Great results

Master
    Had no idea Costco did the San M tomatoes. I just ordered 10kg of them as the 2.5kg tins were so much cheaper than the singles.

Bit large though & the good lady wasn’t impressed!

Master
    They came out great - pleased with the dough as it was a same day decision - 8 hours or so.
    Rosemary from the garden, San Marzano from CostCo and pepperoni from, er, Lidl.

Blue cheese and onion on Wednesday if I can find some more gas...

Coot what flour are you using?

Been watching this thread for way too long …...and now seriously tempted

I'm fancying the Roccbox ….can any owners give me some feedback on them ?

thanks in advance

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Coot what flour are you using?
    Caputo blue - 60% hydration and 1tbs yeast per 1kg as it was a single day proof (would normally be 1/4 or so of that for 24hours +)

Blog Entries
    Cracking pizza there coot, looking good.

I did a quick 8hr with Caputo blue and although great not a good as the 24hr.

Keep'em coming chaps.

Pitch

Master
    Caputo blue - 60% hydration and 1tbs yeast per 1kg as it was a single day proof (would normally be 1/4 or so of that for 24hours +)
    Cheers Coot same as me, was that photo as you balled them or as you were about to make them?

I ask as since I move to caputo blue I’ve found the proofed ballers expand more in diameter and less in height than my old flour and are harder to handle and I’m still wondering if I’m doing (or not doing) something wrong.

Master
    Just as I'd balled them up - probably 5 hours prooving at that point, then a couple of hours balled.

I've had some in the past just expand outwards like big pancakes - think it depends a bit on ambient temp and how well the mixing stage was so it builds up some gluten.
    Switched to an Ankarsrum mixer a few years back after breaking a few home stand type mixers with 1kg+ of flour.

Master
    Just as I'd balled them up - probably 5 hours prooving at that point, then a couple of hours balled.

I've had some in the past just expand outwards like big pancakes - think it depends a bit on ambient temp and how well the mixing stage was so it builds up some gluten.
    Switched to an Ankarsrum mixer a few years back after breaking a few home stand type mixers with 1kg+ of flour.
    Yeah my late 70’s kenwood struggles with much more than 4-5 bases worth, I’d like to update but now is not the time, thanks for the reply.

I must use the last of my old flour in a side by side test.

Just at the end of my semolina flour so can I ask if we use any special type ?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Robti; 4th June 2020 at 14:54.

Master
    Well today’s dough will be an 8hr room temp as forgot to do it yesterday & only just realised!

Craftsman
    Had some small dough balls in the freezer and the weather was forecast to be decent tonight so we fired up the Ooni 2s with the recently delivered gas adapter. Dough didn’t really come out of the fridge early enough so ended up not very large. Turned out lovely though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Just at the end of my semolina flour so can I ask if we use any special type ?
    Thanks
    I’ve just ordered 5kg from A di Maria. Supermarkets in the Asian section generally have course which is what you need.

Pitch

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Well today’s dough will be an 8hr room temp as forgot to do it yesterday & only just realised!
    How did it go buddy??

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I’ve just ordered 5kg from A di Maria. Supermarkets in the Asian section generally have course which is what you need.

Pitch

- - - Updated - - -

How did it go buddy??

Pitch
    You noticed a lack of photos!

Well the first one I stretched too thin, but tried to carry on rather than re ball it & love to my second ball. 30s into a badly launched pizza I knew it was game over....front was charring but the rear of the base hadn’t set.

Knew what was coming, peel through pizza time, large fire, lots of scraping & cleaning. Picking pizza off the floor etc. Happy days!

Second worked better, my wife likes Dominos Texas BBQ so tried one of them. Came out good but was far too sweet for my liking, so she ate 2/3 of it.

Toying with continuing the chav pizza flavours with a Pizza Hut super supreme style flavour next week, although a lot of faff making the spicy pork & beef elements.

Every time the oven beats me, I can’t wait to get back out and own it again!

Craftsman

Well the first one I stretched too thin, but tried to carry on rather than re ball it & love to my second ball. 30s into a badly launched pizza I knew it was game over....front was charring but the rear of the base hadn’t set.

Knew what was coming, peel through pizza time, large fire, lots of scraping & cleaning. Picking pizza off the floor etc. Happy days!

Second worked better, my wife likes Dominos Texas BBQ so tried one of them. Came out good but was far too sweet for my liking, so she ate 2/3 of it.

Toying with continuing the chav pizza flavours with a Pizza Hut super supreme style flavour next week, although a lot of faff making the spicy pork & beef elements.

Only thing guaranteed is that we’ve all been there and are only ever a slip away from it at any moment. Back on the horse....

Quote Originally Posted by ghu1967 View Post
    Only thing guaranteed is that we’ve all been there and are only ever a slip away from it at any moment. Back on the horse....

I ripped a pizza on Sunday! Hadn't happened in a good while and I was really upset with myself.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I ripped a pizza on Sunday! Hadn't happened in a good while and I was really upset with myself.
    It’s incredible how such a simple thing can have such an effect. Conversely, the joy when you pull a finished masterpiece out of the oven is unbounded!

Craftsman
    Made 2 on Sunday. First was stretched too thin and I knew it but thought I'd be OK. Wrong decision as the peel sliced through it, but still rescued most of it. Second was great.

Just part of the learning curve.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m glad we all get that frustrated feeling & makes me feel better. It was the burning off all the topping which was stuck to the burner front and stone for 30mins that really got on my nerves.

Master

Made 11 last Friday, the old pellet powered uuni 2S was running like a dog, I knew it but no one else did.
    Keep on working with it and you’ll get to the art side of the science;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Made 11 last Friday, the old pellet powered uuni 2S was running like a dog, I knew it but no one else did.
    Keep on working with it and you’ll get to the art side of the science;-)
    11 is impressive! Find it annoying with only 2 of us I only cook 2 as we are both full after, never feel I get into my flow fully.

Blog Entries
    Yum yum.

Craftsman
    Yum yum.

Mmm is that Nduja I see there?

Craftsman
    Yum yum.

Nice stash.

Where did you get the Nuvola?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    Mmm is that Nduja I see there?
    Oh yes, that stuff is something else.

Pitch

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    Nice stash.

Where did you get the Nuvola?
    A Di Maria buddy they are online. Postage is a bit grumpy hence thumping the order up.

Pitch

Just made a six hour dough, don't think I have ever done that. Curious how this works out. 85% Caputo blu, 15% wholemeal spelt and 65% hydration. Comes out at over 0.3% fresh yeast, haven't used so much since I became serious about pizza.

Just made a six hour dough, don't think I have ever done that. Curious how this works out. 85% Caputo blu, 15% wholemeal spelt and 65% hydration. Comes out at over 0.3% fresh yeast, haven't used so much since I became serious about pizza.
    Wholemeal spelt - what’s the purpose please? Is it colour or flavour, perhaps both?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Wholemeal spelt - what’s the purpose please? Is it colour or flavour, perhaps both?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Flavour. I find the Caputo a bit flat (especially the red one), some spelt or semolina ads a very nice taste. Try it, you won't regret.

Master
    Just finished making some 70% hydration Caputo (and a dusting of semolina) that should have a 24 hour proof ready for some garlic and rosemary breads for tomorrow night.
    If I dont post up the results tomorrow its gone terribly wrong :)

Thanks Raffe. I’ll give it a go at some point.

This is my current pairing from the local deli. Dough tonight is 65% hydration using this molina. It’s soft and fluffy.

Master
    Yum yum.

Missed the nduja from my order with them & had panic purchased grated moz in Costco but both will be on my order list.

Struggled with my order from them tho, the more value I tried to get, the higher the weight & my postage. Currently have 4x2.5kg tins of San M toms!

My day ended up different than planned and I only came home late. By that time, the dough was well over its prime. I re-balled and let it mature another hour. It was a bit of a difficult stretch, but after all I was content with the result.

Blog Entries
    How did the 6hr go Raffe have you used semolina??

Steak tonight but thinking knocking up and experimenting with a Nuvola and Semolina mix on a short prove.

Sunday is the biggy for me with friends round and collections as well.

Have a great weekend chaps

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Just finished making some 70% hydration Caputo (and a dusting of semolina) that should have a 24 hour proof ready for some garlic and rosemary breads for tomorrow night.
    If I dont post up the results tomorrow its gone terribly wrong :)
    Have you used semolina much coot??

Pitch

How did the 6hr go Raffe have you used semolina??

Steak tonight but thinking knocking up and experimenting with a Nuvola and Semolina mix on a short prove.

Sunday is the biggy for me with friends round and collections as well.

Have a great weekend chaps

Pitch
    It's in the post above yours.

I have also tried adding semolina to the dough and like it, sometimes I use both semolina and spelt.

Master
    The Ooni Karu has landed earlier than anticipated.

Time to chop up a little kiln dried ash... and make a couple of pizza peels from plywood off cuts. 🙄

First ever attempt at pizza making tomorrow.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    The Ooni Karu has landed earlier than anticipated.

Time to chop up a little kiln dried ash... and make a couple of pizza peels from plywood off cuts. 🙄

First ever attempt at pizza making tomorrow.

Great stuff

- Yes to Ash
    - Not so sure I would want plywood anywhere near food or heat...

Master
    Looking great Raffe...same dough recipe as the pic before?

I may try adding semolina to my next dough. 15% semolina and 85% caputo sound right? Then will follow pizza app for other components as usual.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Looking great Raffe...same dough recipe as the pic before?

I may try adding semolina to my next dough. 15% semolina and 85% caputo sound right? Then will follow pizza app for other components as usual.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Yep, that was the same dough as yesterday (stuck half of it into the fridge yesterday).

15% semolina sounds right, give it a try!

Master
    No where near the previous standard, but two of my best without any screw ups.

First was a chav homage to the super supreme (minus mushrooms and the ham, as I forgot it!). Creating and frying off the beef & pork was a ball ache, but have them frozen now for next time. Was happy with the favours of my childhood.

Next was a prosciutto crudo

What’s the secret to the leopard crust, just can’t seem to get there. At least I’m not burning too much now & no split bases tonight phew!

Blog Entries
    Looking good guys.

Steak and wedges in the Clementi tonight.

Pitch

Master
    24h dough at 70% - caputo and 5% semolina.

Just have to give it a hard stare and it formed itself into shape.

That wasnt the only thing in the Roccbox though - Gozneys Camembert and Pizza sticks recipe from a week or so ago.

Master
    Ding Dong.

Master
    Have you used semolina much coot??

Pitch
    Not for a few years - only using it now as the Mrs bought a boot full from the local refill jar type place...
    Could do with using some more, 15-20% and see how that goes.