closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

I am going to class these as the first "proper" attempts - one had a slightly under-done base as I don't think I had gotten the stone hot enough, the second however was pretty spot on. Still using the just-rol sourdough, which is actually pretty good, but definitely needs longer out of the fridge than it suggests on the pack!

Master
    Looks good for store bought, might have to have some in reserve. Well, that’s once I get my contract and can buy something I want but don’t need!

In the meantime it’s pizzas on the BGE for me, and they just aren’t as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did my first Calzone today:

No Ricotta in the house, so had to make do what was in the fridge. Mixed some tomatoe sauce with egg and parmesan cheese, spread it on the dough. A thin layer of Mortadella sausage, some basil leaves, fior di latte and a generous sprinkling of olive oil on top. Looks nice enough.

Folded the pie, pressed it shut around the edge and applied the remainder of the sauce on top. Rip a small hole into the dough so that air can escape.

Then into the Ooni Pro, took the heat a bit down as soon as the Calzone was inside.

After almost four minutes, out with the pizza. Doesn't look all bad, does it?

A quick cut to assess the interior. For my liking, the sauce should have been a bit more liquid still. Next time shorter bake (or use Ricotta).

Taste: really nice, maybe a bit too firm (the sauce), but excellent consistency of dough and crust. Really happy for first attempt. Altogether, I am super happy how my pizza game has developed. Outcome is very predictable, even if there are still variations. I have had guests a few times and received great feedback. This is real fun!!

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Another day, another pizza.

Following the lead of 'Pizza is lovely' on the Ooni Facebook group, I have tried a 100% Biga dough. I had no recipe, so I just winged it. Started out by calculating a normal dough with 70% hydration on Pizza App+. Then I took the flour (Caputo Cuoco) and mixed it by hand with just 45% water and the yeast (reduced it by 15% versus Pizza App+).

After 20 hours at room temperature, it looks like this:

Now I need to increase hydration from 45% to 70%, I mix the salt with the rest of the water and slowly pour it into the mixer. It takes a while for the Biga to absorb the water, but after a good ten minutes it looks like this:

The result is still very thin and sticky, but after three stretch & folds over 90 minutes the dough is nice and smooth and I leave it to prove for about two hours at room temperature:

Then into the fridge for another 24 hours bulk proof at 6°, after which I ball up and let the balls prove another four hours at room temperature.

I forgot to take a picture of the dough opening, but it was very easy to stretch and handle despite the high hydration. The finished product was the lightest Canotto I have ever managed:

Raffe happy.

Master
    Raffe,

That’s an interesting looking mixer, any info on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Raffe,

That’s an interesting looking mixer, any info on it?

It's an Ankarsrum, the best dough kneading machine you can buy.

Master
    Thanks Raffe, looks interesting, added to mental kitchen gadget list.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

Did a little experiment last weekend making a dough with 2/3 Caputo Red and 1/3 Strong bread flour (because I din't have enough Caputo!) and instead of normal water I used sparkling San Pellegrino - made for a really light crust with good air pockets - will definitely be doing this going forwards.

Last edited by Ashtennisguru; 14th November 2019 at 10:26.

Craftsman

Pizza peel

Quick question, as I have a pizza party planned for Christmas Eve, and the dough recipe on this thread is the mutz. (Pitch you are a pizza god....)..... but I need another peel ..... so what is the preferred - wood or metal and one or two (loading and spinning....) Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Quick question, as I have a pizza party planned for Christmas Eve, and the dough recipe on this thread is the mutz. (Pitch you are a pizza god....)..... but I need another peel ..... so what is the preferred - wood or metal and one or two (loading and spinning....) Thanks in advance
    You load with a wooden one and spin/retract with a small round metal.

Some use aluminium (preferably with holes) for loading as well.

Craftsman
    You load with a wooden one and spin/retract with a small round metal.

Some use aluminium (preferably with holes) for loading as well.
    Thanks Raffe

It's been a while that I posted pictures here. In the meantime, I have traded the Ooni Pro against an Effeuno P134HA electrical oven and have to say I love it. Much more predictable results. At the same time, my dough game has improved a lot and my pizzas are pretty awesome. I have also bought a Pizza Party 70 x 70 wood-fired oven, but waiting for spring to build a stand for it.

Tonight's pizza had spinach, egg and mortadella on it. The dough was a 24h proof from Caputo Cuoco flour, 65% hydration.

Master
    That is a great looking pizza :-)

It's been a while that I posted pictures here. In the meantime, I have traded the Ooni Pro against an Effeuno P134HA electrical oven and have to say I love it. Much more predictable results. At the same time, my dough game has improved a lot and my pizzas are pretty awesome. I have also bought a Pizza Party 70 x 70 wood-fired oven, but waiting for spring to build a stand for it.

Tonight's pizza had spinach, egg and mortadella on it. The dough was a 24h proof from Caputo Cuoco flour, 65% hydration.

Okay just finished the whole thread and none the wiser in regards to the sauce, i usually just get a tin of tomatoes chop them up and sweat the excess liquid off in a pan and use that, also i can have the sauce dry the cheese dry and when cutting the finished pizza i can still get a soggy middle, any help ?
    Thanks

Don't cook the tomato sauce.

I take a can of whole Marzano tomatoes and pour it over a strainer to drain excess liquidity. Then I crush the tomatoes until I have the desired consistency.

For the mozzarella, I tear it into pieces and let them drain for at least an hour in a strainer while the oven heats up. I have recently bought a solid block of 'cooking mozzarella' (the stuff you see on my above pizza), but don't like its dryness and also think proper buffalo or burrata tastes much better. I won't buy that again.

Don't cook the tomato sauce.

I take a can of whole Marzano tomatoes and pour it over a strainer to drain excess liquidity. Then I crush the tomatoes until I have the desired consistency.

For the mozzarella, I tear it into pieces and let them drain for at least an hour in a strainer while the oven heats up. I have recently bought a solid block of 'cooking mozzarella' (the stuff you see on my above pizza), but don't like its dryness and also think proper buffalo or burrata tastes much better. I won't buy that again.
    Thanks can't wait now roll on Friday (pizza night) to try your advice

san marzano tomatoes where are we buying them ?
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Excellent pizzas pal and will try some different dough techniques this year.

I am in the middle of re building the outdoor kitchen having removed the old oven, worktop and walls. I am thinking of taking the plunge on one of these.

https://www.thepizzaovenshop.com/pro...co-pizza-oven/

Great to see this thread still going so well.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Excellent pizzas pal and will try some different dough techniques this year.

I am in the middle of re building the outdoor kitchen having removed the old oven, worktop and walls. I am thinking of taking the plunge on one of these.

https://www.thepizzaovenshop.com/pro...co-pizza-oven/

Great to see this thread still going so well.

Pitch
    That looks very similar to the one which I just bought:

https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/wo...rty-green.html

Here is tonight's pizza:

Last edited by Raffe; 23rd February 2020 at 22:08.

Blog Entries
    Crust looks fab.

The build so far.

Pitch

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    That looks very similar to the one which I just bought:

https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/wo...rty-green.html

Here is tonight's pizza:
    Out of interest what recipe/method do you use for your dough? Do you just make a bog standard pizza dough or do you deviate from the norm?

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Out of interest what recipe/method do you use for your dough? Do you just make a bog standard pizza dough or do you deviate from the norm?
    Don't know what your norm is - I tend to vary a bit every time. Tonight's dough was made from 80% Caputo cuoco, 20% spelt flour, home-made wheat sourdough, 68% hydration and a 24h proof. Yesterday I did a dough from 90% Caputo blu, 10% spelt, 0.1% fresh yeast, 65% hydration and 24h proofing. When I have a couple of days extra, I sometimes do a BIGA and use 48h-72h proofing under controlled temperature in the fridge.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Don't know what your norm is - I tend to vary a bit every time. Tonight's dough was made from 80% Caputo cuoco, 20% spelt flour, home-made wheat sourdough, 68% hydration and a 24h proof. Yesterday I did a dough from 90% Caputo blu, 10% spelt, 0.1% fresh yeast, 65% hydration and 24h proofing. When I have a couple of days extra, I sometimes do a BIGA and use 48h-72h proofing under controlled temperature in the fridge.
    Ok...ta

Just balled up tonight's dinner.

Blog Entries
    Looking good.

Are 24 proving in the fridge in a sealed container??

Ta
    Pitch

Looking good.

Are 24 proving in the fridge in a sealed container??

Ta
    Pitch
    Nope, mixed the dough last night (no kneading) and balled up already since I won't have time during the day. All at 23° degrees in my proving cabinet.

At home I buy fresh dough from pizzeria (little less then 1€) and mount good quality ingredients on top ... + =

Poslano sa mog FRD-L09 koriste?i Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    So where do I start?????

So where do I start?????

You will need water. Very difficult to make pizza without it.

Blog Entries
    You will need water. Very difficult to make pizza without it.
    Hehehehehe

Looking forward to giving it a go. Trying 65% hydration, fresh yeast and 24 hr RT fermentation.

Pitch

Hehehehehe

Looking forward to giving it a go. Trying 65% hydration, fresh yeast and 24 hr RT fermentation.

Pitch
    If you are just starting, I would recommend 60% hydration. You can still experiment with hydration, longer proofs and BIGA once you master a straightforward 60% dough. Took me a few attempts.

Blog Entries
    If you are just starting, I would recommend 60% hydration. You can still experiment with hydration, longer proofs and BIGA once you master a straightforward 60% dough. Took me a few attempts.
    😂😂😂😂😂

I started this thread pal.

Just upping my game.

Pitch

Anyone use special pizza yeast?

Just ordered some for bread making as not much else available right now.

😂😂😂😂😂

Just upping my game.

Pitch
    Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Anyone use special pizza yeast?

Just ordered some for bread making as not much else available right now.
    I've never needed to use any form of yeast when making pizza dough. There's usually enough natural yeast in the flour, same when I make chapati's, though I use chapati flour for those.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    I've never needed to use any form of yeast when making pizza dough. There's usually enough natural yeast in the flour, same when I make chapati's, though I use chapati flour for those.
    Do you need long prove in fridge (as the experts on here usually seem to), never do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Do you need long prove in fridge (as the experts on here usually seem to), never do this.
    12 hours in the fridge is normally sufficient IME. I'll often make multiple batches, 12 hours in the fridge then freeze what I'm not going to use. When I come to need the stuff from the freezer I allow it to defrost at room temperature and it works just fine. I only use Italian Tipo 'OO' flour and it works just fine like that.

Proving chapatis takes even less time, a couple of hours is more than sufficient - as I was taught by an Indian lady.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

12 hours in the fridge is normally sufficient IME. I'll often make multiple batches, 12 hours in the fridge then freeze what I'm not going to use. When I come to need the stuff from the freezer I allow it to defrost at room temperature and it works just fine. I only use Italian Tipo 'OO' flour and it works just fine like that.

Proving chapatis takes even less time, a couple of hours is more than sufficient - as I was taught by an Indian lady.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Here goes with the Caputo, 15mins hooked in the KitchenAid.

See ya in 18 hours.

short lonely poems

Master
    Oops.
    

Just upping my game.

Pitch
    Did enjoy that moment!

Having still not purchased one, I have just looked to do so given restaurants are not an option now.

Just seen Ooni are bringing out a Koda 16 with an L shaped burner to alleviate some of the previous feedback challenges on more even cooking.

Any thoughts on this, doesn't launch until April apparently, but does feel as though the speed they are developing products it is a bit like needing to buy tomorrow or yesterday!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Did enjoy that moment!

Having still not purchased one, I have just looked to do so given restaurants are not an option now.

Just seen Ooni are bringing out a Koda 16 with an L shaped burner to alleviate some of the previous feedback challenges on more even cooking.

Any thoughts on this, doesn't launch until April apparently, but does feel as though the speed they are developing products it is a bit like needing to buy tomorrow or yesterday!
    Excellent Matt, all good pal?? Nearly two years on pal and still no oven, come on..... there is a great Ooni FB page well worth joining.

My old oven is no more so I have a Clementi on route from Italy ....... hopefully??? But yes now is the time to dive in.

Check my other thread out, the outside kitchen is on a refurb, cracking on tomorrow.

Pitch

Master
    Yes been watching your other thread with great jealousy, would love something like that to cook with outside & add my egg and gas to the mix too.

Not sure what happened oven wise, was set on a Koda & then the wood one was coming out, so delayed and thought for too long.

BGE has kept me going, but just know I can get better pizzas made in a simpler way and using much less fuel that it takes to get the egg going.

Blog Entries
    Upped the game although in the Neff until the Clementi gets here, so no spots and a bit pale.

First attempt with Caputo, 62% and fresh yeast. 18hr RT fermentation, balled for 6hrs.

I would say best ever after six years on the game.

Pitch

Master
    See this is getting me wanting an oven again now! Just can’t decide on original Koda and getting it really quickly, or waiting for the April launch Koda 16 with a bigger L shaped burner.

Worked out the amount I can’t spend in restaurants and pubs will easily pay for this & can spend my time unable to go out socially to learn to cook with my wife.

Why not consider an Effeuno? I bought one a couple of weeks ago and the benefit of being able to use it in the kitchen makes it my best purchase so far in 2020. The pizzas come out so well, my pizzas are now as good as the best ones which I can buy in town.

I have also bought a wood-fired Pizzaparty oven, but it's still sitting in its box and I am already asking myself if I will ever use it.

Master
    Why not consider an Effeuno? I bought one a couple of weeks ago and the benefit of being able to use it in the kitchen makes it my best purchase so far in 2020. The pizzas come out so well, my pizzas are now as good as the best ones which I can buy in town.

I have also bought a wood-fired Pizzaparty oven, but it's still sitting in its box and I am already asking myself if I will ever use it.
    Wife says no, she doesn’t want it in the kitchen! Hence an outdoor one required.

Blog Entries
    Oh yes.

Oh yes.

Nice. 70cm x 70cm?

Blog Entries
    700 x 800 but sold as a 600 x 600 that’s internal.

Cheaper ones out but the quality of Clementi is amazing plus the wizzy air system

Hopefully fire it up at the weekend