closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,300 of 2641

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    And it was very enjoyable!

Now ordered.

(Pitch = bad influence)
    I like spending other people’s money.

Hehehee

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I like spending other people’s money.

Hehehee
    To the point you WhatsApp me the video while I am away from the forum lol.

Very enjoyable afternoon watching Jack Whitehall in Woking, possibly the best comedian I have seen live.

Forgot to get a selfie outside Pizza Express though. (tenuous link to the thread)

Woking though, what a horrid place.

Master

My best in a while, but cornicione is still disappointing. Perhaps as I decided to move the planned dinner to bring lunch, so lost a few further hours of proving.

Was still impressed by the dough though, no cold prove 72hr malarkey, a simple 24hr room temp one. Very easy to manipulate and stretch.

New stone arrives Wednesday so will no doubt be playing again soon enough.

Master
    Inspired by all these beautiful pizzas, I’ve had a go at adding insulation to my £149 Aldi gas pizza oven.

It already works reasonably well, but it doesn’t get hot enough (under 300°) so hopefully this will help it get higher.

25mm Vermiculite board, cut to size and stuck in place with black fire cement.
    I’m particularly pleased with the mitre cut in some pieces which means the roof is self-supporting.

Here’s hoping it was worth all the effort.

You need a proper biscotto stone, the thing you have is only good for Roman pizza. In any case, I am sceptical that you get enough heat from above with that construction.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

My best in a while, but cornicione is still disappointing. Perhaps as I decided to move the planned dinner to bring lunch, so lost a few further hours of proving.

Was still impressed by the dough though, no cold prove 72hr malarkey, a simple 24hr room temp one. Very easy to manipulate and stretch.

New stone arrives Wednesday so will no doubt be playing again soon enough.
    That looks the business.
    Got my brother coming over tomorrow, and I’ve decided kinda last minute to do some pizzas… which means I’m not prepared at all regards dough. So, the wife has bought a few frozen pizza doughs from M&S.
    Fingers crossed but I’m sure after a few cans he will eat anything anyway !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    You need a proper biscotto stone, the thing you have is only good for Roman pizza. In any case, I am sceptical that you get enough heat from above with that construction.
    My stone arrived today, and without damage.

Their instructions suggest 100C for 90 mins and cool, then 150C for 90 mins and cool and finally 200C for 60 mins and cool. That will be the best part of a gas bottle lol.

Have read other sites saying 60 mins half heat, cool and then 60 mins full heat and cool.

Second option sounds the best, and the gas saving is probably 1/3 of the way to a new stone if it cracks.

Don't get how clay can be fired in a kiln and still need drying prior to use!

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    That looks the business.
    Got my brother coming over tomorrow, and I’ve decided kinda last minute to do some pizzas… which means I’m not prepared at all regards dough. So, the wife has bought a few frozen pizza doughs from M&S.
    Fingers crossed but I’m sure after a few cans he will eat anything anyway !
    Thank you - a long way from even the middle ground ones here, let alone the best but I was very happy. I have had some rubbish ones, hence a lack of photos for a while. I want a lovely showoff crust with the huge air pockets, but equally prefer toppings and sauce more!

Master
    Surely you can just do the "proving" in a normal oven or won't it fit?

Master
    My stone arrived today, and without damage.

Their instructions suggest 100C for 90 mins and cool, then 150C for 90 mins and cool and finally 200C for 60 mins and cool. That will be the best part of a gas bottle lol.

Have read other sites saying 60 mins half heat, cool and then 60 mins full heat and cool.

Second option sounds the best, and the gas saving is probably 1/3 of the way to a new stone if it cracks.

Don't get how clay can be fired in a kiln and still need drying prior to use!

Thank you - a long way from even the middle ground ones here, let alone the best but I was very happy. I have had some rubbish ones, hence a lack of photos for a while. I want a lovely showoff crust with the huge air pockets, but equally prefer toppings and sauce more!

At the risk of sounding dumb, why not use your kitchen oven to ‘temper’ the new stone?

Master
    It is too large to fit in the kitchen oven when I initially tried it. Will check if there is an orientation that works but don’t really want to cook it at an angle for fear of cracking.

Master
    Oooh you went for a different model this time then?

Oooh you went for a different model this time then?
    Just a different finish, stainless steel front instead of bricks.

Master
    Just a different finish, stainless steel front instead of bricks.
    Ah ok, looks really smart. Wish I could be doing my first and second burn with wood rather than gas.

The 2 tabs that stick out at the front of the Koda 16 stone mean it won’t fit in the indoor oven, so gas it is!

Master

Tonight’s effort after a 24/5 prove. Turns out last years yeast is a bit the worse for wear. New lot in the post. But it stretches well and tasted fine. Just not much expansion of the dough or crust puffing up. Lesson learned on the yeast - read the packet!

Master

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Hoping to get back on the pizza making tomorrow. After some advice as it’s been a long time.
    Plan is to go for a 24 hour RT prove.
    I cannot quite recall when I should ball up. Dough will be mixed around 4pm today.
    I seem to recall perhaps 6 hours prior to cooking it should be balled?
    That won’t be possible this time as we are out in the morning, so my option is to ball 8-9 hours before cooking or 3-4 hours before cooking. Any thoughts?

I’m leaving towards the early balling.

I used to also mix 30% semolina in the flour and seem to recall it made the dough easier to digest. But for today may just stick to 100% caputo.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used this video yesterday and it's the best pizzas I've made so far. https://youtu.be/8Q_9h6VKm9c

Hoping to get back on the pizza making tomorrow. After some advice as it’s been a long time.
    Plan is to go for a 24 hour RT prove.
    I cannot quite recall when I should ball up. Dough will be mixed around 4pm today.
    I seem to recall perhaps 6 hours prior to cooking it should be balled?
    That won’t be possible this time as we are out in the morning, so my option is to ball 8-9 hours before cooking or 3-4 hours before cooking. Any thoughts?

I’m leaving towards the early balling.

I used to also mix 30% semolina in the flour and seem to recall it made the dough easier to digest. But for today may just stick to 100% caputo.
    Do it 8 hours before rather than 3 hours. They may go a bit wide, but who cares?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I used this video yesterday and it's the best pizzas I've made so far. https://youtu.be/8Q_9h6VKm9c
    Thanks. Also thanks Raffe that was my initial thinking too.
    Having watched the above thought I would give this a go. All sounded logical.
    I’ve made the dough now and will ball up in two hours as per his instructions. Very different to the usual way so let’s hope I can repeat your positive results!

Blog Entries
    3 hours sound be fine buddy.

Let’s see the pic’s

Pitch

What's the longest duration you guys would do a Room Temp prove? Is 48 hours too long without being in the fridge?

Master
    3 hours sound be fine buddy.

Let’s see the pic’s

Pitch
    The trays are getting their first outing.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow…Having not done it for so long, slightly nervous of the outcome!

Blog Entries
    The trays are getting their first outing.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow…Having not done it for so long, slightly nervous of the outcome!
    Lot of flour there buddy, doesn’t it dry your balls out??? I pop my balls in the trays with absolutely nothing.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    What's the longest duration you guys would do a Room Temp prove? Is 48 hours too long without being in the fridge?
    I’m generally 24hrs with RT, anything over this I pop in the fridge.

Pitch

Master
    Lot of flour there buddy, doesn’t it dry your balls out??? I pop my balls in the trays with absolutely nothing.

Pitch
    Will find out shortly! Yes I did get carried away with the flour dusting. I followed the video above.

Have two trays 7 balls in total. Hopefully 4 end up workable and that will do.

Master

Pitch
    I don’t use any either, I use a bit on the scraper I use to get them out of the box.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I don’t use any either, I use a bit on the scraper I use to get them out of the box.
    Yes, same here, I only dust with semolina as I am lifting them out.

I find my dough balls expand and kind of flop down and end up touching the other dough balls so I have to end up separating them with a scraper. I assume I'm letting them rest too long after balling (I leave them 3 hours at RT (23 degrees in the apartment)

Master
    Will let the pizza pros come back to you on that RyanB. But your temperature is high in the apartment, assume you are using PizzaApp too to ensure you are timing correctly for your measurements?

My cook went well today. Brought back a lot of memories. Definitely have the bug again.

The dough process seemed to work well and the dough balls were great and not sticky. I won’t put flour in the trays next time though as it didn’t feel necessary. Looked at the video again and I don’t think the chap did it either, I must have imagined it. But he did dust the worktop when stretching.

The GI metal peels are very good. Launching was very easy and they just seem to work. Thanks for the recommendation Pitch.

Although the opening of the Ooni is too small for the turning peel really. So that is a little bit of a waste at the moment, which leads me onto…

I am starting to look into proper ovens now. Looking at Pizza Party, gas version. I would love wood fired but don’t think I can handle another complication in having to try to get the temps correct and sourcing the correct wood and making sure it is dry.

Raffe, did you go for biscotti stone or refractory?

Will let the pizza pros come back to you on that RyanB. But your temperature is high in the apartment, assume you are using PizzaApp too to ensure you are timing correctly for your measurements?

My cook went well today. Brought back a lot of memories. Definitely have the bug again.

The dough process seemed to work well and the dough balls were great and not sticky. I won’t put flour in the trays next time though as it didn’t feel necessary. Looked at the video again and I don’t think the chap did it either, I must have imagined it. But he did dust the worktop when stretching.

The GI metal peels are very good. Launching was very easy and they just seem to work. Thanks for the recommendation Pitch.

Although the opening of the Ooni is too small for the turning peel really. So that is a little bit of a waste at the moment, which leads me onto…

I am starting to look into proper ovens now. Looking at Pizza Party, gas version. I would love wood fired but don’t think I can handle another complication in having to try to get the temps correct and sourcing the correct wood and making sure it is dry.

Cheers yep it's always hot in here. Handy in winter as keeps the energy costs down but means air con has to be on in summer as if you open the French windows you get spiders and flies coming in.

BTW one thing I found out accidentally. Usually I put all the ingredients (flour,water, salt, yeast) in the bowl, do a basic hand mix, leave for an hour and then knead. A couple of weeks ago I put the flour and water in and forgot the yeast and salt, adding them after an hour and then kneading. For whatever reason just having the water and flour together without salt and yeast for an hour made the dough much better with noticeably stronger gluten strands, not sticky at all when kneading and a really nice bite to the dough. Really elevated the dough and I follow that approach now. Means also hand kneading reduced from 12 mins to around 4 or 5 minutes before the dough passes the windowpane test.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Has anyone noticed any difference between using very strong white flour and 00? If so what is the difference? I've only ever used very strong white flour but if using 00 would give fluffier thicker crusts I'd look to ordering some.

I find my dough balls expand and kind of flop down and end up touching the other dough balls so I have to end up separating them with a scraper. I assume I'm letting them rest too long after balling (I leave them 3 hours at RT (23 degrees in the apartment)
    As B13 suggested, if your balls "flop down" after three hours, you either have too much yeast in there or the temperature is too high (that's actually the same, as there is a trade-off between yeast and temperature). Make sure you set the temperature in the Pizza+ app to the actual room temperature so that it can accurately calculate the required yeast. Also make sure you are reading the correct yeast type (CY, ADY, IDY). I find three hours too short for the unit fermentation anyway, if your balls are not keeping up at what I assume to be 60% hydration, you need to work on your balling-up game. As always, Vito has got a video about it.

Anyway, if the balls are touching each other, that's not really a problem. Just sprinkle a liberal amount of rice flour/semolina over them and then cut between the balls with a spatula - the flour will separate the balls nicely. Same when they are sticking to the box sides.

Cheers yep it's always hot in here. Handy in winter as keeps the energy costs down but means air con has to be on in summer as if you open the French windows you get spiders and flies coming in.

BTW one thing I found out accidentally. Usually I put all the ingredients (flour,water, salt, yeast) in the bowl, do a basic hand mix, leave for an hour and then knead. A couple of weeks ago I put the flour and water in and forgot the yeast and salt, adding them after an hour and then kneading. For whatever reason just having the water and flour together without salt and yeast for an hour made the dough much better with noticeably stronger gluten strands, not sticky at all when kneading and a really nice bite to the dough. Really elevated the dough and I follow that approach now. Means also hand kneading reduced from 12 mins to around 4 or 5 minutes before the dough passes the windowpane test.
    Salt is the enemy of yeast - it slows down the fermentation. I only add the salt after an hour or so to give the yeast a good chance to get going. Just make sure you don't forget to add it later, or the dough is very fast and tastes very flat.

Hard requirement to have the biscotto. No point in going for a semi-pro oven if you don't take the correct stone.

For the UK contingent this is the cheapest I've found this flour and it is excellent for pizza making

https://fifostore.co.uk/products/cap...smart_campaign

Master
    Well, that escalated quickly. Pizza Party ordered today.

I should have just gone for the PP in the first place as it was inevitable at some point...bad planning / lack of thinking!

I blame Pitch...those GI metal are slightly OTT for the Ooni and so I had to go for an oven that is more commensurate with their brilliance!

(Now, anyone after a once-used Ooni Koda!?)

Blog Entries

I should have just gone for the PP in the first place as it was inevitable at some point...bad planning / lack of thinking!

I blame Pitch...those GI metal are slightly OTT for the Ooni and so I had to go for an oven that is more commensurate with their brilliance!

You crack me up.........funny..... Like I had you in a head-lock frog marching to the counter with the GI's under your arms.

Cracking buy and well done on the new oven, you know it makes sense buddy LOL.

Pitch

Master

Used once before upgrading, you legend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Used once before upgrading, you legend!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Gateway drugs, those Oonis.

Master
    Nah still on my original 2S

Master
    Yes, I came close with mine being one.

Biscotto still needs to get fired on low....will get there!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone use adimaria store?

Blog Entries
    Yep, always spot on delivery although pricey

Pitch

Master
    Another yes here.

Just with their pepperoni was in smaller bags!

OK going down the rabbit hole further- anyone here use poolish as a dough starter and if so do you see any big advantages?

OK going down the rabbit hole further- anyone here use poolish as a dough starter and if so do you see any big advantages?
    Tried poolish, tried biga, not worth the effort if you ask me. I know some are swearing by it, you might as well try for yourself as it's not much effort.

Gents are you flouring your pizza box when balling the dough? Basically to make it easier to remove the balls and stretch them?
    Last edited by ryanb741; 25th May 2023 at 23:14.

Tried poolish, tried biga, not worth the effort if you ask me. I know some are swearing by it, you might as well try for yourself as it's not much effort.
    I may try it as an experiment but to be honest I've been pleased with the dough after a decent (24 hours+) room temp prove so it may only be a marginal improvement if at all

Blog Entries
    Gents are you flouring your pizza box when balling the dough? Basically to make it easier to remove the balls and stretch them?
    Nope, don’t do this no need. Ball and tray wet.

Pitch

Master
    There’s a Buffalo Farm not too far from us, and they happen to also do pizza dough balls for around £1 per ball.
    I thought I’d give them a try so bought a dozen (had a few friends coming this weekend).
    I have to say, they were absolutely fantastic!!

At £1 a ball, I can see me using plenty more of these over the summer for much easiness!!

The cost of making them yourself must be less than 10p per ball, and no need to drive around.