closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Great tip on the garlic butter Pitch - will try that as ours don’t turn out too well.

Q on Italian sausage with fennel - any good online companies to order from? Local supermarkets don’t seem to have it and asked a butcher and they don’t do it.

Q on the tomato sauce - we buy the best tins of tomatoes when we can get them. We always find a sprinkling of sugar enhances the finished product - are we heathens?
    Love pizza with fennel salciccia, not a problem to find them here due to large Italian population.

I know many use a pinch of sugar with their tomatoes, as long as you don't put sugar into the dough it's alright.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Did a much better job today of rolling out the bases by hand. Managed what I think were half decent crusts, although don’t have a baseline against which to compare other than a few photos in this thread.

I’m starting to piece together how things work and confident I can get the crusts more ‘airy’ next time...

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I know many use a pinch of sugar with their tomatoes, as long as you don't put sugar into the dough it's alright.
    I put a little sugar in the dough. It makes for a nicer colour later and you can't taste it. I cook in a gas BBQ rather than a dedicated pizza oven so the temp is lower and the pizza dough can look a bit pallid otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I put a little sugar in the dough. It makes for a nicer colour later and you can't taste it. I cook in a gas BBQ rather than a dedicated pizza oven so the temp is lower and the pizza dough can look a bit pallid otherwise.

Don't ever tell a true Neapolitan.

Craftsman
    Had a mare of a day yesterday.
    Started a 30hr RT sourdough proof on Saturday (24 bulk 6 balled) 65% hd caputo pizzeria 00 all qtys as per pizza app.
    It was a mess. Very volumous when balled but managed it then when I went to stretch there was zero stretch or structure. I only did 2 stretch and folds which was maybe the problem.
    ANYWAY the OH was getting hungry and grumpy so I binned it in a tantrum and did a v quick 1 hour proof from the pizza app and managed to rescue dinner. I was expecting rubbish in such a short time but 8 mins in the mixer and 2 hours after my hissy fit and these were served.

Craftsman
    They look great Joe - what toppings are on those? Food envy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudlar View Post
    They look great Joe - what toppings are on those? Food envy.
    Cheers man, top to bottom they are....

-Chorizo, tenderstem broccoli with fennel seeds, red pepper pearls, mozzarella
    -Margherita
    -Pea and basil pesto base (made it up myself with peas, basil S&P and EVO), pancetta, feta and mozzarella
    I use Cirro passata rustica with garlic ganules and S&P, I like the texture and left overs can make a pasta sauce! The pea pesto was delicious next time I'll put some grated parmesan in too as it was missing something.
    Last edited by joe1978; 22nd June 2020 at 15:42.

Blog Entries
    They look great buddy and well recovered.

Pitch

So i need some help, I have read the thread and we have done 2 pizza on the Kamado Joe. First one was a flat as pancake, (not enough yeast) I think the second one had to much yeast.

I am using pizza app, but I do not get the crust like i see in the pics.

If I get the mix right and the rest time, am I not kneading it long enough that effect that? I am kneading it fir around 12 mins.

i am using dried yeast which was 1/8 teaspoon for 2 dough balls of 250 grams. When I put them into prove they just formed 1 big bough of the whole baking tray.

Do I need to be exact with the exact measurements (yeast 0.52g for 500grams balls) and the the time to rest which was 7 hours (I gave it 24 hours).

Welcome any feedback on getting it right?

BTW apart from the crust, the pizzas today ......amazing

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    So i need some help, I have read the thread and we have done 2 pizza on the Kamado Joe. First one was a flat as pancake, (not enough yeast) I think the second one had to much yeast.

If I get the mix right and the rest time, am I not kneading it long enough that effect that? I am kneading it fir around 12 mins.

i am using dried yeast which was 1/8 teaspoon for 2 dough balls of 250 grams. When I put them into prove they just formed 1 big bough of the whole baking tray.

Do I need to be exact with the exact measurements (yeast 0.52g for 500grams balls) and the the time to rest which was 7 hours (I gave it 24 hours).

Rich
    Well what's the point of using the app to calculate the yeast for 7 hours and then let it mature for 24 hours? If you want predictable results you need to stick with the times and measurements of the app.

I am trying to replicate your batch, 2x250gr, 60% hydration at 7 hours (22 degrees) will give you 0.49gr dried yeast. I got no idea what 1/8 of a teaspoon is, so I looked it up on a converter (no idea if this is any good, I never use teaspoons to measure anything):

So 1/8 teaspoon would be about 0.25 gram (no idea how you measure 1/8 teaspoon in the first place?)

Conclusion: get a drug dealers scale, will set you back by less than 10 quid.

If you are doing the effort, do it right because you need predictability.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post

Rich
    No pics???

500g balls how large a pizza are you making?

Yes you need to try and be accurate with the ingredients and estimate proofing temps, time less so but almost quadrupling the time will not give great results

As Raffe said get yourself some £10 dd scales.

Thanks guys.

So scales are now ordered, but they turned out really well. I actually mean they tased great and nice base.

The only thing I felt is maybe it was a bit wet at first, even with the paddle floored I could not get it to slide off the paddle.

So one broken into parts, but it may have looked a mess but both of us really enjoyed them.

I need to get some practice in, not seeing the crusts like you guys.

Craftsman
    Any knowledge on Infrared Thermometers for the wood fired ovens?

Particularly trying to find out the temp measuring range, recommendations more than welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    Any knowledge on Infrared Thermometers for the wood fired ovens?

Particularly trying to find out the temp measuring range, recommendations more than welcome.
    I have this one, works perfect. Think I paid half as much pre-COVID.

Master
    So do I, paid £7 according to my invoice. Works great, range is -50 to 750C

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    So do I, paid £7 according to my invoice. Works great, range is -50 to 750C
    Thank you both, looks to be in poor availability at the moment with delivery qouted for August.

What's the realistic max temp you ever measured? The listing says it measures up to 550 degree c.

Thank you both, looks to be in poor availability at the moment with delivery qouted for August.

What's the realistic max temp you ever measured? The listing says it measures up to 550 degree c.
    Never had an issue with max temp. Mine said 550 degrees as well, where do you need more?

Craftsman
    Never had an issue with max temp. Mine said 550 degrees as well, where do you need more?
    I'm not sure how much the oven can get to.

Borrowing a friend's very high tech one temp reader that works as a thermal imaging camera, it's not giving me any readings when temp goes above its limit of 400 degrees.

recommendations for decent Pizza pans?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Yes: Don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Double don’t.

What you think bud.

Blog Entries

My old brick one use to run at 500 but the Clementi ticks along nicely at 300. It convects heat just so well and keeps the stones at such a constant heat

Pitch

Useless for body temp, don’t see why COVID should affect price!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Useless for body temp, don’t see why COVID should affect price!
    That may be so, but I am sure they sold tens of thousands to people who bought it with that intention.

Probably!

For the record: blinded by overconfidence, I tried a 80% hydration dough yesterday. It didn't end well.

Before you ask: no, I don't give up, will try again. But this time I will follow the instructions of the master:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    My old brick one use to run at 500 but the Clementi ticks along nicely at 300. It convects heat just so well and keeps the stones at such a constant heat

Pitch
    Thanks, ordered the Draper Tools one from Toolstation that goes up to 550 as per the one on Amazon, will keep you posted on how it performs.

https://www.toolstation.com/draper-i...mometer/p94325

This will be used with a refractory oven.

Craftsman
    Used the method from the Schnarff video way back down this thread. Realised my proving box wasn’t big enough for five bases so ordered a bigger one tonight. Anyhoo, got the Ooni fired up in the door of the shed as there was a threat of thunder/lightning this evening. Got the stone to approx 380 Degrees and got making. Very pleased with the results tonight. The crust was a lot better than previous batches, however I think my temp control during cooking went a bit wayward towards the end and the last pizza was a bit doughy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellow tomatoes. A short story.

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Mine and the daughters pizza’s tonight, finally got the dough made and the Ooni Koda fired up...

My word, they do taste much better than a Dominos though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Martylaa; 2nd July 2020 at 19:03.

Craftsman
    Yellow tomatoes. A short story.

Hi Raffe,

Is this result from your indoor oven? What temperature does the stone get up to. My oven at home is "hot" and if I leave it on full blast for 30 minutes gets up to 275 but never get the crust like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Hi Raffe,

Is this result from your indoor oven? What temperature does the stone get up to. My oven at home is "hot" and if I leave it on full blast for 30 minutes gets up to 275 but never get the crust like this.
    It's an electric 500 degree pizza oven.

Craftsman
    Thanks, that maybe explains my poorer crusts. Wood fired oven hopefully arriving next week which will provide a definitive answer

Master
    Got our Gozney Roccbox yesterday and we have used it twice already. It will get a lot of use. It’s an impressive bit of kit and a very good face book community.

Master
    Out of interest, what weight of dough ball do you use for a 12” pizza? Ooni recommends 160g which I gathered from a couple of cooks is pretty light, so I’m increasing weight little by little... but I imagine in excess of 200g per ball wouldn’t be unreasonable.

Id welcome feedback from this learned group. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    Out of interest, what weight of dough ball do you use for a 12” pizza? Ooni recommends 160g which I gathered from a couple of cooks is pretty light, so I’m increasing weight little by little... but I imagine in excess of 200g per ball wouldn’t be unreasonable.

Id welcome feedback from this learned group. Thanks!
    280 gr

Master
    280 gr

Right... so that may explain why I’ve struggled a little more than I thought I would when making the bases. Thank you sir.

Master
    I’ve been using 250g but might try the 280g as will allow more room for my crust

I’ve been using 250g but might try the 280g as will allow more room for my crust
    I think I started with 180 gr, then went to 200, 240 and now 280 gr per pizza. Try it, you won't regret it.

Master
    I think I started with 180 gr, then went to 200, 240 and now 280 gr per pizza. Try it, you won't regret it.
    I’ve not had any bad advice on this thread so far, so will be giving it a go for sure.

I’ve got what will be my first 60hr dough in the fridge for tomorrow night. Was going to be 72hr but forgot all about it.

Looking forward to seeing how different it is. Was aiming for it to be a sourdough pizza but my starter wasn’t ‘starting’ as it were.

I’ve not had any bad advice on this thread so far, so will be giving it a go for sure.

I’ve got what will be my first 60hr dough in the fridge for tomorrow night. Was going to be 72hr but forgot all about it.

Looking forward to seeing how different it is. Was aiming for it to be a sourdough pizza but my starter wasn’t ‘starting’ as it were.
    I had a few attempts with sourdough pizza but afraid wasn't that impressed and have returned to using yeast.

Small warning: very likely your 60h dough will be very sticky. Just stretch it in a bed of semolina.

Master
    I had a few attempts with sourdough pizza but afraid wasn't that impressed and have returned to using yeast.

Small warning: very likely your 60h dough will be very sticky. Just stretch it in a bed of semolina.

Thanks in advance. Especially as it’s the wife’s birthday!

She’s missed our local Chinese takeaway through lockdown, has only just opened but is closed Tuesdays, so back to chef Matt. Don’t think she’s cooked since before all the closures. For me it has kept me sane. Love learning & experimenting.

Master
    For those who haven’t seen it yet, this is coming soon to Aldi £499

https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk//Larg...=1500&p=2&q=50

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

Wowzers, looks really similar to the Alfa pizza oven at almost £2k

They are selling them in Germany at the moment, I will probably be able to get some feedback through a German BBQ forum as soon as the first ones are being delivered.

https://www.sued.aldi-liefert.de/FIR...gn=asde_704765

Here is the product manual in German. Not sure, this looks rather cheap and light - and will only heat up to 340°C.

Edit:

Here is some feedback from German forum (use Google to translate), Aldi sold this already last year.

https://www.grillsportverein.de/foru...i-sued.309224/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy-ZLMl5p48

Looking at the video, I am not impressed. Oven is too low, coderite stones very thin, material is thin/flimsy and deforms under heat, oven only goes to 340 degrees.

Honestly, why not invest the small premium and buy a Pizza Party oven?
    Last edited by Raffe; 7th July 2020 at 11:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

My brother made me aware of this. Looks decent from the photos/video for the money.

I noticed it had a vent/ash tray on the base at the back. It’s not something I have seen on the more expensive Italian ovens. Anybody shed any light on it? I assumed it was to help start the fire with the door closed?

Cheers

Ross

I keep looking at these and really wanting to buy one but then the thought of it living outside, being used 10 times a year and the constant cleaning etc puts me off. There are local pubs that do delivery/takeaway and have slightly more industrial type setups but still wood fired and I just think for the hassle the cost, even at £500 is too much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigstam View Post
    My brother made me aware of this. Looks decent from the photos/video for the money.

I noticed it had a vent/ash tray on the base at the back. It’s not something I have seen on the more expensive Italian ovens. Anybody shed any light on it? I assumed it was to help start the fire with the door closed?

Cheers

Ross
    The design does look similar although I can see it is a 'cheaper' build to my Clementi. I generally start mine off with the door closed, open when cooking and pop it back in again as the temp drops.

Looks good for the money though.

Pitch

You did see the very mixed feedback from the German forum?

This is a lightyear removed from the Clementi.

Master
    They are selling them in Germany at the moment, I will probably be able to get some feedback through a German BBQ forum as soon as the first ones are being delivered.

https://www.sued.aldi-liefert.de/FIR...gn=asde_704765

Here is the product manual in German. Not sure, this looks rather cheap and light - and will only heat up to 340°C.

Edit:

Here is some feedback from German forum (use Google to translate), Aldi sold this already last year.

https://www.grillsportverein.de/foru...i-sued.309224/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy-ZLMl5p48

Looking at the video, I am not impressed. Oven is too low, coderite stones very thin, material is thin/flimsy and deforms under heat, oven only goes to 340 degrees.

Honestly, why not invest the small premium and buy a Pizza Party oven?

Thanks for the links Raffe.

Sounds like one happy but new to pizza owner in the thread who seems to achieve 450c but complaining about the ash slot and firestones tilting at temp (I think).

One positive feedback is not enough for me to invest, think I’ll carry on saving for something that’s more of a known quantity and tbh while we do the odd larger cook the norm is 2-4 pizzas, which is easy in the ooni (when running well...) so perhaps I don’t need to change at all?