closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 17 of 53 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post

Beautiful.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Cheers Coot and grub looks amazing.

I did a 6hr with 15% semolina and didn’t this it was as good but just for garlic bread to have with asparagus and then steak.

The Clementi was fantastic tonight.

Pitch

Master
    First ever pizzas today on the newly acquired Ooni Karu... and they were fabulous!

The crust didn’t look anything like what some of you guys have managed, but the base overall was excellent. I struggled rolling out the bases with my hands, so I ended up using a rolling pin! Some practice needed there...

The buffalo mozzarella with Parma ham was the best taste combination of the few pizzas I made. I thought I’d read that buffalo mozzarella isn’t the ‘authentic’ cheese for neapolitan style pizza (?), but it was the favoured choice in my household.

The pizza oven location / setup is makeshift for now...

(Before popping the basil on)

I’m the very happy new owner of Coots old Ooni Pro, and this is the first attempt. I’m happy enough with it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post

...//... The buffalo mozzarella with Parma ham was the best taste combination of the few pizzas I made. I thought I’d read that buffalo mozzarella isn’t the ‘authentic’ cheese for neapolitan style pizza (?), but it was the favoured choice in my household.
    You are right, purists would say that buffalo mozzarella does not belong. The fact is that I love it on pizza, it is a perfect match to the sauce, and all pizza places in Italy offer it in the menu.

However, if you go behind the counter you will see that the buffalo mozzarella is kept in slices on a grid, so that it looses some liquids prior to using it for the pizza. This way it will not be too wet on the pizza and will just melt like normal mozzarella.

Blog Entries
    First run with the Nuvola and although only an 8hr it handled completely different to the blue. I knocked identical sized batches and hydration.

I also defrosted some 24hr blue from three weeks ago and it was amazing.

14 in total last night and some extremely happy punters.

Pitch

Master
    We have a gozney roccbox on the way and it will get a lot of use. We have researched the basics like how to move the dough to the peel, make the dough the correct the shape, rotate the pizza in the oven, let the oven heat for 30 mins etc.

Any tips on pizza dough recipes? We had a mates using the Jamie Oliver one and it was ace.

Any other general tips?

Stu

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    First run with the Nuvola and although only an 8hr it handled completely different to the blue. I knocked identical sized batches and hydration.

I also defrosted some 24hr blue from three weeks ago and it was amazing.

14 in total last night and some extremely happy punters.

Pitch

Different how Pitch?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Different how Pitch?
    The Nuvola dough feels just so much lighter. Strange I know as all the balls were weighed to 250g. It seemed to carry the hydration better and stretched with ease, though not saying the blue is bad.

The first Nuvola one I put on the table followed a blue both topped with mutti, f de l, nduja, fresh chilli, salami, olives and dressed with chilli oil. Wifey, pal and his wife all said the dough was so much lighter and puffy.

I can’t wait to try a full 24hr @ say 64% it’s going to be mental.

Have you tried it??

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    We have a gozney roccbox on the way and it will get a lot of use. We have researched the basics like how to move the dough to the peel, make the dough the correct the shape, rotate the pizza in the oven, let the oven heat for 30 mins etc.

Any tips on pizza dough recipes? We had a mates using the Jamie Oliver one and it was ace.

Any other general tips?

Stu
    Stu,

The pizza app and Caputo flour is all you need pal. Happy to talk you through it

Pitch

24h dough at 70% - caputo and 5% semolina.

Just have to give it a hard stare and it formed itself into shape.

That wasnt the only thing in the Roccbox though - Gozneys Camembert and Pizza sticks recipe from a week or so ago.

These look very nice Coot. How did you do the garlic bread? Last time I tried it it burnt really quickly. Is yours just minced garlic, grated parmesan and oil? How long did you have the camembert in for?

I'm toying with trying the Nuvola flour next as it comes in 1kg bags. What sort of hydration level is ok for this? Highest I've gone so far is 62% on a RT proof. I see Adimaria do a Nuvola Super flour now as well but only available in 25kg sacks!! Way too big for me.

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/rice-flow...per-flour-25kg

The Nuvola dough feels just so much lighter. Strange I know as all the balls were weighed to 250g. It seemed to carry the hydration better and stretched with ease, though not saying the blue is bad.

The first Nuvola one I put on the table followed a blue both topped with mutti, f de l, nduja, fresh chilli, salami, olives and dressed with chilli oil. Wifey, pal and his wife all said the dough was so much lighter and puffy.

Have you tried it??

Pitch
    Never tried Nuvola, it's on the list but I still have almost 20kg of the red stuff.

I find that any highly hydrated dough will turn out fluffy, try going to 70% or beyond and the pizza gets so much nicer.

Master

Have you tried it??

Pitch
    Cheers Pitch,

I haven’t tried it yet, still working through my 25kg of blue which I’m still unsure of tbh. Might keep my eye out for a 1kg bag of Nuvola to try and also try upping hydration with the blue.

Master
    Interesting on the Nuvola, will certainly be giving it a try.

I’ve not yet ventured up from 63% hydration but might need to hive it an other go soon, now I’m getting most pizzas out without ruining them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    .... now I’m getting most pizzas out without ruining them.
    You know that's the time to up the ante.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    You know that's the time to up the ante.
    I know, but I enjoy not having to burn the stone off for 30mins while kicking myself.

Craftsman
    The pizza app and Caputo flour is all you need pal. Happy to talk you through it
    Pitch, is the app Pizzapp+, the dough calculator one?

Thx
    Tim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    These look very nice Coot. How did you do the garlic bread? Last time I tried it it burnt really quickly. Is yours just minced garlic, grated parmesan and oil? How long did you have the camembert in for?
    https://www.adimaria.co.uk/rice-flow...per-flour-25kg
    Wasnt any garlic on those (garlic glove chopped up and poked in the camembert).
    I've doing a garlic/garlic tomato bread I'd either cheat if in a hurry and use a blob of garlic butter (those ones in containers) or if time mince some garlic and add to butter and oil and drizzle over.
    Can also just dock the dough, add a bit of olive oil then when it comes out put the garlic butter on. Should all be melted by the time you serve it up.

Cheese was in for about 10 mins.

The bread was just oil, oregano and grana padano.

Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Pitch, is the app Pizzapp+, the dough calculator one?

Thx
    Tim
    Yes. There is a glossary included inside the app, should have you going in no time.

Craftsman
    Yes. There is a glossary included inside the app, should have you going in no time.
    Thanks Raffe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Thanks Raffe
    Yep as Raffe has confirmed buddy

Blog Entries
    Raffe, CM, Matt, A di have 1kg bags at the mo.

You will see I also got some of the semolina flour. It is a lot finer thar the supermarket stuff and I thought too fine but it works superb and no burn whatsoever. Stock up on mozzarella as well and freeze you can soon make a big order up.

Pitch

Master
    Stu,

Pitch
    Ta, I’ll have a look.

Master
    Raffe, CM, Matt, A di have 1kg bags at the mo.

You will see I also got some of the semolina flour. It is a lot finer thar the supermarket stuff and I thought too fine but it works superb and no burn whatsoever. Stock up on mozzarella as well and freeze you can soon make a big order up.

Pitch
    Been looking already thanks Paul. Got some Arla grated mozzarella from Costco to use alongside the balls to use first but will definitely be giving theirs a try along with some other toppings. Cheers

Wasnt any garlic on those (garlic glove chopped up and poked in the camembert).
    I've doing a garlic/garlic tomato bread I'd either cheat if in a hurry and use a blob of garlic butter (those ones in containers) or if time mince some garlic and add to butter and oil and drizzle over.
    Can also just dock the dough, add a bit of olive oil then when it comes out put the garlic butter on. Should all be melted by the time you serve it up.

Cheese was in for about 10 mins.

The bread was just oil, oregano and grana padano.
    Excellent thank you

Blog Entries
    Just on the garlic bread questions here is what I do.

I soften butter with course rock salt, garlic purée and olive oil. It’s quite lose and almost runny.

I pop the base in the oven (nothing on it) and as it cooks leave the spinning peel on top so it does not puff up I don’t want the air bubbles burning.

When the base has coloured nicely I take it out of the oven and brush the garlic butter all over it. You can also add mozzarella or parmesan at this stage.

I then pop back in the oven for seconds. DO NOT let the butter colour, if you do it’s gone.

Hope this helps.

Pitch.

Master
    Great stuff Paul, will try that.

You clearly enjoy the photo showmanship more than me, if my wife came with a camera when I'm cooking she'd get a few choice words!

Master
    Ptich you have an apron...you are my hero!!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Haha. Cheers chaps.

My pal took the pic on Sunday and put it on his FB page taking the piss.

I generally do stick an apron on buddy cause I’m such a messy twat when cooking and knacker jeans/shorts. + I was doing take outs hence gloves and hat and cleaning everywhere after every couple of pizzas. Striving for my 5 star hygiene rating LOL.

Pitch - nice one thanks

Master

With a bit of ingenuity you can make a pizza on a Weber Q 😀

Craftsman
    Just on the garlic bread questions here is what I do.

I soften butter with course rock salt, garlic purée and olive oil. It’s quite lose and almost runny.

I pop the base in the oven (nothing on it) and as it cooks leave the spinning peel on top so it does not puff up I don’t want the air bubbles burning.

When the base has coloured nicely I take it out of the oven and brush the garlic butter all over it. You can also add mozzarella or parmesan at this stage.

I then pop back in the oven for seconds. DO NOT let the butter colour, if you do it’s gone.

Hope this helps.

Pitch.

That’s exactly how I do my garlic bread too (except for covering it with the peel).

Master
    What pizza sauce are people using and where can I buy some?

Take a can of good Italian tomatoes and crush them with a potatoe masher or a fork. You can as well blitz it with a blender but some people claim it releases bitter flavours from the tiny seeds inside. That's it.

If so inclined, you can mix some basil leaves or salt into the sauce, I don't as I put some seasalt on the pizza after I have applied the sauce and put basil leaves on top.

Whatever you do, don't cook the tomatoe sauce. It has to be raw when the pizza goes into the oven.

Master
    Interesting, been using the ooni recipe which says to cook it though & thicken the sauce. Will try it your way & see.

Paul, I too wear an apron as I get food everywhere when prepping. Annoyingly my black fabric apron is a nightmare for floury hands after each pizza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Take a can of good Italian tomatoes and crush them with a potatoe masher or a fork. You can as well blitz it with a blender but some people claim it releases bitter flavours from the tiny seeds inside. That's it.

If so inclined, you can mix some basil leaves or salt into the sauce, I don't as I put some seasalt on the pizza after I have applied the sauce and put basil leaves on top.

Whatever you do, don't cook the tomatoe sauce. It has to be raw when the pizza goes into the oven.
    Wow ok, didn’t think it would be that simple!

Blog Entries
    Mutti pizza sauce for me straight from the tin, the stuff in this pic. It is expensive at two quid for a 400ml tin but the supermarkets do have it on offer often for 99p. Its a 4.1kg tin in the photo..

Pitch

Craftsman
    I was wondering if anyone can help me on the following:-

1) When discussing hydration level of the pizza dough, how is this calculated?
    Is the hydration level measured by ratios, if you have 100 grams of flour, and add 65 grams of water = 65% hydration. Is this the same ratio for all flours, 00 and bread flour.

2) Will using bread flour rather than 00 grade flour impact on the quality of the pizza dough prepared (taste/thickness/preparation).

3) A good place to purchase Caputo Blue Flour.

4) What are the benefits of adding semolina flour to the dough mix .

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes ratio. It is not 65% water of the total weight.

2. It'll be different. I like the bready taste of supermarket Canadian strong flour, but the results won't be the same as in the picture.

3. http://www.adimaria.co.uk is where I bought my Caputo from

4. It's just preference. I use semolina when the missus isn't around, she prefers it without. I use it for dusting when prepping the pizza as it doesn't burn as easily as regular flour to the stone.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    1. Yes ratio. It is not 65% water of the total weight.

2. It'll be different. I like the bready taste of supermarket Canadian strong flour, but the results won't be the same as in the picture.

3. http://www.adimaria.co.uk is where I bought my Caputo from

4. It's just preference. I use semolina when the missus isn't around, she prefers it without. I use it for dusting when prepping the pizza as it doesn't burn as easily as regular flour to the stone.
    +1

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper85 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone can help me on the following:-

1) When discussing hydration level of the pizza dough, how is this calculated?
    Is the hydration level measured by ratios, if you have 100 grams of flour, and add 65 grams of water = 65% hydration. Is this the same ratio for all flours, 00 and bread flour.

2) Will using bread flour rather than 00 grade flour impact on the quality of the pizza dough prepared (taste/thickness/preparation).

3) A good place to purchase Caputo Blue Flour.

4) What are the benefits of adding semolina flour to the dough mix .

Thanks in advance.
    The hydration is against the dry ingredients. The apps will calculate for salt and yeast as well as flour.

E.g. 975g flour, 24g sea salt, 1g instant yeast, 650g/ml water is 65% hydration.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    The hydration is against the dry ingredients. The apps will calculate for salt and yeast as well as flour.

E.g. 975g flour, 24g sea salt, 1g instant yeast, 650g/ml water is 65% hydration.

Hate to be picky, but the hydration is calculated as the percentage of water versus the flour only. Salt and yeast don't go into the calculation.

Not that it would make much of a difference, but that's the proper definition:
    https://www.pizzamaking.com/glossary.html#index_h

Another lunch another pizza.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Is there any reason I should not use a Gozney gas heated pizza oven in kitchen? Thinking about winter use.

Is there any reason I should not use a Gozney gas heated pizza oven in kitchen? Thinking about winter use.
    That's a long debate, the user manual will contain a warning against indoor use, but some have pointed to the prevalence of gas ovens in kitchens.

I honestly don't know what to make of it, but it's not risk free.

Couple from the Roccbox - first time it's been out since we moved a year ago :(

Been following the thread from a distance, resisting to get involved.... this post by Coot is not helping! As a fan of so called 'Neapolitan style pizza' - it made my mouth water.

Stunning results.

Master
    Great tip on the garlic butter Pitch - will try that as ours don’t turn out too well.

Q on Italian sausage with fennel - any good online companies to order from? Local supermarkets don’t seem to have it and asked a butcher and they don’t do it.

Q on the tomato sauce - we buy the best tins of tomatoes when we can get them. We always find a sprinkling of sugar enhances the finished product - are we heathens?

If it’s properly ventilated (see installation manual), yes, otherwise no.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If it’s properly ventilated (see installation manual), yes, otherwise no.
    Ok I’ll have a look when I get it. Ta.

Craftsman
    Hate to be picky, but the hydration is calculated as the percentage of water versus the flour only. Salt and yeast don't go into the calculation.

Not that it would make much of a difference, but that's the proper definition:
    https://www.pizzamaking.com/glossary.html#index_h
    Fair call