closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Blog Entries
    Cracking effort Barry looks good.

HOW MUCH YEAST....... are you opening a restaurant 😂😂😂

Looking forward to seeing more.

Pitch

Master
    Pitch a question for you, if your main cooks were just two pizzas with 4-6 being once every month or so would you still recommend a larger wood fired oven like you’ve just installed?

I’m thinking about replacing my old uuni 3s but not sure what with, a ooni pro is one option, as is the koda but I know if I did then I’m trading 3s foibles for other ooni foibles.

I like the idea of the larger wood fired oven but there’s question of use for mainly two rather than many, the time to heat and the cost for it and a stand and a log store to consider.

Master
    Wow Barry, impressive first time! My crusts aren’t getting anywhere near that large.

How many did you make for your first time? It’s only my wife & I so only make 2 balls, which means if one goes wrong we are down to a single pizza. Might make 4 up and go from there.

Where did you get the large bag of mozzarella from?

Master
    Sourced this locally to sit my ooni on - should do the trick
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Some great looking pizzas appearing here. I've made some dough for some tonight and just looked at the bag I've got and its caputo classica and not the pizzeria. I'm wondering if this makes a big difference?

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Great thread, it really got me motivated.

My first attempt was tonight, the family are happy and full, as are the neighbours (I made a little extra in reserve just in case)
    Looks great, what were you using - gas, chips, wood?

Afternoon.
    Cheers Pitch, I literally had no idea, I haven’t even made bread before, so ordered too much (I have distributed flour and yeast to my neighbours, so it won’t go to waste)

Mj2k, I made up a batch of four and used the PizzApp for the approx ratios.
    Twenty two hours in the fridge (CT) then balled up and left for three hours (RT)
    All my supplies came from https://www.adimaria.co.uk/

 Kingstepper, a combination, charcoal base with chopped oak wood on top.

I ordered one of these, which should arrive in a week or two, that will be the base for the Ooni.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Some great looking pizzas appearing here. I've made some dough for some tonight and just looked at the bag I've got and its caputo classica and not the pizzeria. I'm wondering if this makes a big difference?

You're doomed, that flour only makes bread sticks.

Just kidding, no idea - am sure all flour apart from self raising can make some form of decent dough!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Afternoon.
    Cheers Pitch, I literally had no idea, I haven’t even made bread before, so ordered too much (I have distributed flour and yeast to my neighbours, so it won’t go to waste)

Mj2k, I made up a batch of four and used the PizzApp for the approx ratios.
    Twenty two hours in the fridge (CT) then balled up and left for three hours (RT)
    All my supplies came from https://www.adimaria.co.uk/

 Kingstepper, a combination, charcoal base with chopped oak wood on top.

I ordered one of these, which should arrive in a week or two, that will be the base for the Ooni.
    Thanks Barry, need to try CT again, my last batch did nothing but was 'slightly' out of date! Will try with my new dry stuff, until I get some fresh.

You've really landed in a great place with your first cook, as you may have seen, mine was with holes in the middle for the first 2, second 2 great, last 2 was 50:50, so am still at a 50% success rate! You are shaming me...

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You're doomed, that flour only makes bread sticks.

Just kidding, no idea - am sure all flour apart from self raising can make some form of decent dough!
    Lol. Well I've used the last of it now so will endeavour to get the correct stuff next time. It'll be interesting to see if there is a difference. Anyway tonight was a garlic bread and a parma ham and basil. I tried a RT proof only this time and liked the result.

Craftsman
    Just got our first batch of fresh yeast, how do you guys store yours? Any guidance on freezing?

Master
    I've frozen a 42g block of fresh yeast. Never tried before but certainly the first 2 batches of dough have been excellent. I just chip a gram off the block drop it into a little warm water with half a teaspoon of sugar and leave it. It seems to do very little even after a couple of hours, I was expecting some signs of activity. The first time I thought it was dead!
    Dough made at about 70% hydration and left at room temp for 24 hours then balled for another 24. Worked really well.
    How long the yeast stays ok for in the freezer I have no idea but the second batch was after about 3 weeks and it was just as good as the first.

Craftsman
    Thanks for that, I was thinking in freezing smaller batches.

Would you use the same amount or more after it has been frozen in comparison to just fresh from the fridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Litcan91 View Post
    Thanks for that, I was thinking in freezing smaller batches.

Would you use the same amount or more after it has been frozen in comparison to just fresh from the fridge?
    I’d certainly freeze in small amounts, taking in/out of freezer (even for short time) and picking up moisture won’t do it any good.

Many suggest crumbling and mixing with small amount of flour before freezing.

Blog Entries
    Busy ole full on week chaps, but good to see the pizza keeps on coming.

CM - The Clementi is smaller than my previous brick built one and I very rarely cooked more than one at a time, it was very aggressive to cook with. Still doing one at a time in the Clementi but still learning the oven after three uses but it is just so controllable and the air sweat system means that it is cooking far better at 350 than 450. I am finding the size perfect for me.

Freezing yeast...... I always do this but keep the block wrapped in cling film, in a bag twisted tight and then in an air tight container. Works fine and I feel I get better results with fresh yeast.

I had a great Saturday last weekend doing collections for pals, worked really well.

Oh, finally, I also purchased some new ball proofing boxes I will try tomorrow, I will post a pick up, £5.00 from Homebase.

Looking forward to seeing this weekends efforts.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Last weekend.

Blog Entries
    These are the new balling boxes.

Journeyman
    What do you reckon your cost per pizza is to date?

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    Don't ask.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

64% hydration, but same day dough. RT for 4 hours. Nice, light and puffy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by boris9; 16th May 2020 at 13:27.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlipperySam View Post
    With the present set up to date circa 57 quid each. This will come done per pizza over the coming decade.......or two.

Pitch

Journeyman
    That’s not actually as bad as thought!

I fired up the Ooni Koda again tonight. Tried a slightly different dough recipe using pizzApp+ 62% hydration. I've now made a total of 15 pizzas!

Every pizza launched fine tonight, but every one stuck to my metal ooni peel on the first turn. Like it had superglue on it. I tried it with the heat up and down. The peel was clean and dry. Any thoughts as to why? The previous dough I used was the Ooni recipe and I didn't have this issue.

They all tasted great and the last one was mine!

Master

Crusts still burning a little vs being kissed.

Stone at 430 on launch & has to minimum. Either need to turn gas down a few mins before launching or use the regulator on the gas bottle restrict gas as it doesn’t go lower.

Happy that each time it gets significantly better though. Loving the journey

An impromptu decision to try the new pizza stone meant getting some pre-made dough from the freezer. Bit of a breeze here this evening so easier to get it up to temperature by keeping the bbq in my car barn.

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

6 minutes later here’s the result

Untitled by Alex L, on Flickr

I’ll give dough making a go next time. Hopefully this time next year we’ll have re-clad the Dutch Barn, relocated 15 tonnes of wood and that’ll be our outdoor entertaining area.

Master
    First time on the thread

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I bought an Ooni Koda at the start of lockdown and am now in the habit of doing pizza for the family on Fridays and Sundays. I like waking earlyish to make the dough.

Started tonight with a garlic bread:

And then onto the pizzas:

I would like to try sourdough at some point. Have done a few with salami and Jamon Serrano; it is easy to singe the edges of you are not careful

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Some great ones there chaps.

Busy ole weekend here, ran 17.5 miles on Saturday as part of a team of 50 running a charity challenge on our own to cover the distance from LE to JoG for our local hospital and then pizzas Sunday.

The Clementi just gets better and better and I am finding the sweet spot.

Pitch

Master
    Looking great there Paul. Like the height you have for the oven, feel I’m bending over for the Koda a little too much.

My basil plant is now growing well & should see me for as much as I need now I’ve learned the technique.

Blog Entries
    Cheers Matt.

I thought long and hard about the height when I was planning the rebuild and it is absolutely perfect for me.

I have cut the spinning peel down this evening and re tapped and that feels a lot nicer the the social distancing length.

All going good pal??

Pitch

Master
    Great pics Pitch.

Do you drizzle oil on the pizza when baked?

I think about your setup a lot! (How sad!)

I have the perfect space at the back of my garden, am trying to delay the inevitable...but I may soon be asking you for a copy of your plans!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Great pics Pitch.

Do you drizzle oil on the pizza when baked?

I think about your setup a lot! (How sad!)

I have the perfect space at the back of my garden, am trying to delay the inevitable...but I may soon be asking you for a copy of your plans!
    LOL 😂😂😂 Go on get on with buddy.

Yep, extra virgin or a drizzle of chilli oil.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Cheers Matt.

I thought long and hard about the height when I was planning the rebuild and it is absolutely perfect for me.

I have cut the spinning peel down this evening and re tapped and that feels a lot nicer the the social distancing length.

All going good pal??

Pitch
    Going great thanks, just need to work out how to get the combo of kisses crust vs burnt vs cooked base. Only 6 through the oven so far, can’t be too critical!

Any chilli oil recipe? I grow chillis and followed a recipe about 3 months ago for using my dry chillis. I’ve pricked then, a slight slit with a knife and then in oil.

Zero heat despite shaking it about weekly & even adding dry seeds a fortnight ago, still no flavour. These chillis are usually of ‘just the one tiny chilli in a dish’ level for heat, types such as Ring of Fire / Prairie Fire type levels, so not mild.

Don’t want to drop fresh chillis in, as I want the longer shelf life.

Cheers

Going great thanks, just need to work out how to get the combo of kisses crust vs burnt vs cooked base. Only 6 through the oven so far, can’t be too critical!

Any chilli oil recipe? I grow chillis and followed a recipe about 3 months ago for using my dry chillis. I’ve pricked then, a slight slit with a knife and then in oil.

Zero heat despite shaking it about weekly & even adding dry seeds a fortnight ago, still no flavour. These chillis are usually of ‘just the one tiny chilli in a dish’ level for heat, types such as Ring of Fire / Prairie Fire type levels, so not mild.

Don’t want to drop fresh chillis in, as I want the longer shelf life.

Cheers
    I use dried chilis, just takes time. Fresh no good unless you want to breed mould.

Blog Entries

Cheers
    Always done like my grandma used to. Let them dry well, crumble them with your fingers, move it - seeds and skins - in the bottle , add some oil, shake a bit, then add the rest of the oil. Two days later is done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Always done like my grandma used to. Let them dry well, crumble them with your fingers, move it - seeds and skins - in the bottle , add some oil, shake a bit, then add the rest of the oil. Two days later is done.
    I’m lazy Matt but going to give Raffe and Franck’s a go.

Cheers chaps

Pitch

Master
    A dough is in the go for tomorrow so that can get baking in this good weather that is gracing us.

Passata - anyone use it for sauce? Thinking about being lazy and trying it rather than making a sauce. Or is it typically used to add to the homemade sauce?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Passata isn’t the same as crushing chopped or plum tomatoes and the flavour will be different.

Personally I don’t like the flavour profile and it isn’t “traditional”, but nothing wrong with giving it a go. In desperate times, I do still reach for a jar if alternatives aren’t available.

Blitzed chopped or plum tomatoes would be my suggestion with just a pinch of salt. You really don’t need to do much else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Yes I do have San Marzano here but the tin is so big if I open it I will need a plan to finish them! 2.6kg!

I always use plain passata (passata is just seived tomatoes). I Never use one with flavours added, but I do fry a little garlic in oil then add the passata to it, and a little seasoning.
    Tastes great, there's nothing wrong with passata.
    D

Blog Entries
    The Consortium says to use San Marzano peeled tomatoes, crushed with your hands in a bowl, plus 10g salt every kg of tomatoes, three-four basil leaves, one-two spoonfuls of e.v.o. oil. See below the pdf.

Personally find that good quality passata is fine, particularly if some premier brands like "Polpa Mutti" which I regularly get on Amazon. Also good are "DeRica" or "Conserve della nonna", which I can find on Nifeislife.

If you have chopped tomatoes, you should sieve them rather than blitz them with a blender.

Here is the pdf of the “pizza verace consortium”, with instructions and the recipes

https://www.pizzanapoletana.org/publ...02008%20UK.pdf
    Last edited by Franco; 21st May 2020 at 14:21.

Master
    I went with San Marzano in the end. The right choice! Will try the passata one day for interest.

Also tried a 'naan' with a left over dough ball. Puffed up nicely. But too heavy. May try a specific naan dough one day...

Master
    Ready for pizza tonight
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Master
    Cocked up tomorrow’s dough already earlier.

Forgot to change the ambient temp from 13C, played with the pizza app to find something similar & now having a cold prove first for many many hours before a room temp finish.

Didn’t even spot or pay attention to the temp aspect of the app. Damn it.

Master
    Well after using the fridge overnight to slow it all down, happy with the results. Still not getting a good airy crust all around but improving & certainly less ‘darkly kisses by flame’

Master
    Nice result!!

Blog Entries
    That’s looking pretty good Matt, well done pal.

The boy is coming good 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Pitch

Looking forward to this thread, think I just managed to get a Ooni Koda gas powered oven online, hoping it is not a cock-up and then I can start making my own now I've finally got the back garden finished...

One question, anyone used The Northern Dough stuff from Sainsburys???
    Last edited by Martylaa; 23rd May 2020 at 08:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Looking forward to this thread, think I just managed to get a Ooni Koda gas powered oven online, hoping it is not a cock-up and then I can start making my own now I've finally got the back garden finished...

One question, anyone used The Northern Dough stuff from Sainsburys???
    I’ve got some but not tried it yet

Make your own dough. Bought dough is shite.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.