closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Blog Entries

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

The sun is shining, it’s started at the Pitch Pizzeria corner of the garden.

Come on chaps, show us ya best.

Pitch I’ve got the same oven as you . Do you go through the curing process every year? If so any tips? Not sure I did it correctly last year as was left with some big cracks which I have filled now .

PS pizzas look great

Master
    That looks great!

Still experimenting with a variety of dough recipes - any good ones you would recommended?

Mine are cooked in the BGE which means I cook blind, which is a little annoying, but can’t justify another cooking device for the garden !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Beautiful!

Do you need to burn such a big fire? Usually a couple of logs on the side should maintain the temperature?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    That looks great - what time do you want he round?

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post
    Pitch I’ve got the same oven as you . Do you go through the curing process every year? If so any tips? Not sure I did it correctly last year as was left with some big cracks which I have filled now .

PS pizzas look great
    For the first fire of the season you should start really small which is just a few small sticks... literally sticks until the oven heats up and there is no more moisture in the brick/clay/lime cover. That should help. Some light cracking is almost inevitable over time.

Love pizza and the looks the dogs...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eagletower View Post

PS pizzas look great
    Cheers fella.

Wednesday Thursday and Saturday with little fires before today just to warm up and cure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That looks great!

Still experimenting with a variety of dough recipes - any good ones you would recommended?

Mine are cooked in the BGE which means I cook blind, which is a little annoying, but can’t justify another cooking device for the garden !

After trying many this is my go to.

480g - oo flour
    50g - semolina flour
    2 tspn - caster sugar and salt
    5g - dried yeast dissolved in 350ml warm water.

Mix, knead until really smooth and not sticking to the worktop.

Cut into 165-180g balls, roll and put into sandwich bags oiled into the fridge.

Take out 30-45 mins before use, knock back into balls and into proving tray.

With this they stretch out really well and don’t spring back.

Hope this works.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Beautiful!

Do you need to burn such a big fire? Usually a couple of logs on the side should maintain the temperature?
    Alway roar it up first to get the heat in Raffe. Once there I alway use small stuff for flame as this colours the dough.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    That looks great - what time do you want he round?
    Cheers buddy and you are always welcome if you venture this Far East.

All good mate??

Pitch

Thanks pitch and Canuck for your replies will start a small fire tonight ahead of any cooking later this week.

Blog Entries
    My respect - all the way. From the 'pizzeria' to the end product, including the technicalities about the fire. I had no idea that there's a science behind lighting the fire!

Menno

I now know where the next GTG should be

Craftsman
    I should hopefully be able to contribute more this year. I added a gas burner to the Uuni which should make balcony cooking a bit more convenient.

Master
    Will be knocking up some dough today or tomorrow ready for Friday!

Master
    that looks delicious

Does making one in a normal oven count?

Wifeys effort from a few weeks ago.

Craftsman
    Agree with all that looks some great pizza, loving the pizza oven also.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    I should hopefully be able to contribute more this year. I added a gas burner to the Uuni which should make balcony cooking a bit more convenient.
    I’d like your thoughts on this - I’ve an S2 and added the S3 fire box but would like to try the gas

Reminds me of the yummy turkey burgers I cooked for myself last night on a small Gotham Grill on the patio:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I’d like your thoughts on this - I’ve an S2 and added the S3 fire box but would like to try the gas
    I haven’t actually used it yet but should hopefully have it fired up in the next couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Enda; 8th May 2018 at 17:10.

Looks nice

There's some serious good food on here. Will be trying a few of the recipes!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Good work Don Paulo!

Its so much bloody hassle that I haven’t bothered with my pizza oven for a while...

You must love your family more than I love mine as I get fed up churning out pizza after pizza for them to scoff whilst I cook and hopefully get one or two slices along the way...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Good work Don Paulo!

Its so much bloody hassle that I haven’t bothered with my pizza oven for a while...

You must love your family more than I love mine as I get fed up churning out pizza after pizza for them to scoff whilst I cook and hopefully get one or two slices along the way...
    Gracia...

I love it Ben, I am like a pig in ...... cooking and feeding the tribe. The nac is to get them all prep'd together then rattle then in and out quick so all sit down together..

GTG - Its not far up the A12 Jason !!!!

Cheers fella's, pizza looks good but let's get some more pic's up..

Cheers

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    After trying many this is my go to.

480g - oo flour
    50g - semolina flour
    2 tspn - caster sugar and salt
    5g - dried yeast dissolved in 350ml warm water.

Mix, knead until really smooth and not sticking to the worktop.

Cut into 165-180g balls, roll and put into sandwich bags oiled into the fridge.

Take out 30-45 mins before use, knock back into balls and into proving tray.

With this they stretch out really well and don’t spring back.

Hope this works.

Pitch
    Thank you, spring back of the dough is something I’ve suffered with, so particularly interested in trying this.

Matt

Master
    Thank you, spring back of the dough is something I’ve suffered with, so particularly interested in trying this.

Matt

Same here. My kids love to make their own pizzas but always struggle to get the base to stay the same size. Will try this recipe out! Thanks Don Paolo.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Very jealous of that pizza oven

Matt

I also have problems with spring back so looking forward to trying this recipe, many thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks chaps.

I have had the same spring back prob in the early years but the above works well and spring back will soon be a thing of the past

When you 'knock back' roll the balls in the palm of your hand on the worktop and then flour them really well and pop in a proving tray covered with a tea towel so the do not crust.

When you stretch out, flatten then use your fingers to form a ridge around the outside and then work the centre. Once the dough is the size of a small dinner plate place your palms on it and stretch out and twist. As you get clever you can then lift and hand stretch.

Practice will indeed make perfect .....ish

Don Paulo

Looks delicious and I made one in a normal home oven last night..

Couple of questions from me..
    Oh.. are we not supposed to use a roller to flatten the dough but rather hand stretch it?
    Also, what is the semolina flour for? Is it to allow the dough to be more easily stretched without breaking? And I assume that would produce a chewier dough as well?
    Have your tried any sourdough pizza recipes?
    Any tips on oven temperature and cooking times?

Master
    The sun is shining, it’s started at the Pitch Pizzeria corner of the garden.

Come on chaps, show us ya best.

Pitch

Been wondering about your dough and the proving box.

Do you slow prove in the fridge for a few days?

Mine I do for 2-3 days but in individual bowls normally covered in cling film, I’ve noticed that if I use some stacking bowls I have that are not air tight I get a skin / crust on the dough balls and wondered if you see the same with your box?

I don’t want to buy one if I’ll get a skin while proving.

Ta

Si.

Blog Entries
    Si,

Here goes.......

I slow prove in the fridge but place the weighed dough balls (kneaded, rolled and lightly oiled) into small sandwich bags twisted tight. I do this generally on the morning of cooking and then take them out of the fridge, pop on worktop to warm to room temperature. I then flour the proving tray, take the balls out of their bags (after an hour'ish) knock back into balls again, roll in the flour in the proving tray and flatten. I then cover with a tea towel and pop the lid on and they are then generally good for a couple of hours +, no crusting.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Master
    Si,

Here goes.......

I slow prove in the fridge but place the weighed dough balls (kneaded, rolled and lightly oiled) into small sandwich bags twisted tight. I do this generally on the morning of cooking and then take them out of the fridge, pop on worktop to warm to room temperature. I then flour the proving tray, take the balls out of their bags (after an hour'ish) knock back into balls again, roll in the flour in the proving tray and flatten. I then cover with a tea towel and pop the lid on and they are then generally good for a couple of hours +, no crusting.

Hope that helps.

Paul
    Cheers Paul,

It does to the extent that I don’t think I’ll get one, I’m reasonably happy with the results by slow proving for 2-3 days in cling filmed bowls, if I need to make more than six bases I can prove in large metal bowls and portion prior to stretching. it doesn’t sound like the tray will add significantly to my process and it becomes another single use kitchen gadget to find a home for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hyl1987 View Post
    Looks delicious and I made one in a normal home oven last night..

Couple of questions from me..
    Oh.. are we not supposed to use a roller to flatten the dough but rather hand stretch it?
    Also, what is the semolina flour for? Is it to allow the dough to be more easily stretched without breaking? And I assume that would produce a chewier dough as well?
    Have your tried any sourdough pizza recipes?
    Any tips on oven temperature and cooking times?
    Roller......how very dare you..........

Roller is fine buddy but you will not achieve a rim to the pizza. Well worth persaverring with hand stretching though as practise does indeed make perfect and you soon do get the hang of it.

Regards semolina flour, it is real pig to get hold of, there is a little deli in York that I buy it from. Adding it to the mix just adds a little texture to the dough and gives that gritty traditional coarseness to the crust. Once I have stretched the base out I give it a quick sprinkle also but the important thing is to scatter a bit onto the board you pop the pizza into the oven on and again on the paddle for removing the pizza as the semolina acts like hundreds of ball bearings which makes the pizza slide and spin very easily on the board and paddle.

Sourdough???? I have tried a pizza and it was very good. Mrs P has mentioned this several times so I think this year must be the year to give it ago, watch this space.

Cooking times are so variable depending on the heat, obviously. When my oven is at its sweet spot it is about 500 degrees C and a pizza takes no more than a minute. I was getting naffed off with how it can burn the butter on garlic bread so last week I made the garlic butter in a pan so liquid'ish, cooked the pizza base, removed and then brushed the butter on. It melted fine but I did give it a quick 5 seconds on the paddle in the roof of the oven, the second one I scattered with grated mozzarella which was amazing.

Good luck fella and happy cooking

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Cheers Paul,

It does to the extent that I don’t think I’ll get one, I’m reasonably happy with the results by slow proving for 2-3 days in cling filmed bowls, if I need to make more than six bases I can prove in large metal bowls and portion prior to stretching. it doesn’t sound like the tray will add significantly to my process and it becomes another single use kitchen gadget to find a home for.
    Yep would agree with that. I just find it easier for big batching when I have a house full but it is another gadget to store......

Master
    Yep would agree with that. I just find it easier for big batching when I have a house full but it is another gadget to store......
    Yeah in an ideal world I’d find room, but it’s rare that I do more than six in a sittings which is enough with my little unni so i’ll cope.

Out of interest have you tried fine semolina rather than flour, I have some flour but when that runs out I was going to try the fine as it seems easier to get hold of.

Master
    Forgot the photos but tried your dough at the weekend, much better.

My next challenge is gauging ‘doneness’ in the Big Green Egg, as can’t see the pizza....would love a pizza oven, but I’ve got no chance after an Egg and a big Weber gasser.

Master
    Forgot the photos but tried your dough at the weekend, much better.

My next challenge is gauging ‘doneness’ in the Big Green Egg, as can’t see the pizza....would love a pizza oven, but I’ve got no chance after an Egg and a big Weber gasser.

Thank me later.....

https://www.pizza-porta.com

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Thank me later.....

https://www.pizza-porta.com
    You should wear your underwear outside your trousers, as you are my new hero!

Answered many things for me, including what do my family get a person that (in their mind) has everything for his birthday.

Never even heard of it before on the BGE forums.

Can I ask the salt & sugar is it 2tsp of each ?
    Thanks

Master
    You should wear your underwear outside your trousers, as you are my new hero!

Answered many things for me, including what do my family get a person that (in their mind) has everything for his birthday.

Never even heard of it before on the BGE forums.

I’ll collect a free pizza when I’m passing, just in the name of research you understand

Craftsman
    I’ve knocked up a batch of Pitch’s dough and I’m going to prove it in the fridge until Saturday. Photos incoming at some point!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Can I ask the salt & sugar is it 2tsp of each ?
    Thanks
    Sorry buddy, yes two of each.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Sun's out so oven will be fired up this evening so batch done:

Whilst on dough, something else to try.

I knocked a dal up last night for dinner and these flat breads are perfect to dip.

I use 3 desert spoons of self raising flour three natural yogurt and half a a teaspoon of salt. Bang it all together, add more flour if the mix is really sticky but don't make to dry. Split and roll out really thin on a floured surface and cook in a dry frying pan on a 3/4 heat. Nice to finish with a bit of brushed warm butter.

Pitch

Master
    Know a few of you guys think highly of the Uuni ovens. This seems a decent offer on HUKD at the moment...

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/uun...hread-comments

Craftsman
    My first outing with the gas burner on the Uuni. I’m impressed with the results, the heat is much more controllable than the pellets. The fact the door is kept off also makes it easier to keep an eye on the cooking process.

Edit: looks like I need practice on using Flickr!

https://flickr.com/photos/161820634@...57669172204938

Last edited by Enda; 20th May 2018 at 12:44.

Master
    Look good to me, do you still need to turn the pizzas multiple times with the gas burner?

Craftsman
    Yeah, I was giving it a twist every 20-30 seconds.