closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    I make pizza on mine. It works very well. No complaints from me or the wife.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Thanks v much Sean - looks tasty I think a BBQ may be the way forward for me.

ATB

Jon

Sent from my CUBOT_X18_Plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I found the best results were having one of the charcoal holders (small side baskets for offset cooking) on the main grill helped with top temps.

I was finding that the base was cooking ahead of the topping & cheese melting. A few briquettes up top helped balance it out.

Never did buy the Weber pizza accessory though, tempting as it was!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks Mj2k - I think the side baskets method is used with the pizza stone too. I think I will get the stone and hopefully get some reasonable results. I rather like the look of some of the proper pizza ovens but, price aside, I want to sleep the number of pieces of equipment to a minimum.

ATB

Jon

Sent from my CUBOT_X18_Plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Not the best photo but it’s the only one I took. I used the frozen dough today. It was nice enough but a lot more “bready” than using pitch’s recipe. I’d certainly keep a few boxes in the freezer for a short notice pizza but the home made dough was noticeably better.

Master

Forgot to take a photo of the first one until mostly consumed. Second one was left on a fraction too long.

Still playing with temperatures on the egg. First was 300C for 9 mins, second was 350C for about 7-8 mins & got sidetracked.

Whilst I can go much hotter, cooking blind is always a challenge so experimenting as I go rather than burn them. Might make up a batch of dough to just mess with timings & does learning up.

Egg ceramics were still warm to the touch the morning after!

Anyone tried the BBQ top ovens?

Are they any good on a gas fired bbq,?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Anyone tried the BBQ top ovens?

Are they any good on a gas fired bbq,?
    i did have one prior to getting a Unni- was ok but I found it very hard to get it hot enough- I was using it on my Weber Q-

Master
    First use of the Uuni Pro last night (and first on gas)

Master

Last night’s effort on the egg. Slightly overcooked on top & under on the base. Still working on it.

My pizza stone is the Weber one & I have about 4” more to use if I buy a larger stone, and with a larger peel could get the base thinner for the same dough quantity.

Master
    Weather in North Devon was glorious today so came home from work early and fired up the uuni a couple of months earlier than expected. Pizzas were delicious as always.

Had some family come over and for dessert they had pizza with Nutella and bananas folded over like a calzone and sprinkled with some brown sugar. Same cooking time and tastes amazing. Have with ice cream or cream.

Master
    Wasn't pizza on the bbq tonight (Just some teriyaki chicken) but with weather like this it's a must.

Craftsman
    Those with Oonis, did you go for the Ooni 3 or the Pro? If you went for the 3 do you find you're limited by the size or ability to batch cook?

Master
    Have a Pro and the extra space is handy for a 12in pizza with a bit of space to play and a 2S that I've not used since as I'm 100% gas for convenience now (have a Roccbox too)
    The only time I've cooked multiple items at once was a couple of folded flatbread parcels and that could have been done in the standard size.

Tried steaks and burgers in it but it makes a bloody mess and not as good as done on the egg.

If I was buying now I'd look at the Koda.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    Those with Oonis, did you go for the Ooni 3 or the Pro? If you went for the 3 do you find you're limited by the size or ability to batch cook?
    I’ve just got a normal one. The pizzas aren’t very big but that’s not a problem as they are cooked in a minute or so. I find the biggest issue is keeping up with rolling out the dough, putting the sauce and toppings on and being ready for the next one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Have a Pro and the extra space is handy for a 12in pizza with a bit of space to play and a 2S that I've not used since as I'm 100% gas for convenience now (have a Roccbox too)
    The only time I've cooked multiple items at once was a couple of folded flatbread parcels and that could have been done in the standard size.

Tried steaks and burgers in it but it makes a bloody mess and not as good as done on the egg.

If I was buying now I'd look at the Koda.
    Thanks - that's interesting. So is there no benefit to using wood? Looks like the Koda can do up to 12", the 3 can do 13" and the Pro 16".

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’ve just got a normal one. The pizzas aren’t very big but that’s not a problem as they are cooked in a minute or so. I find the biggest issue is keeping up with rolling out the dough, putting the sauce and toppings on and being ready for the next one.
    Yes I imagine that's more of a throttle than the 60-90s cooking time.

Thanks for the feedback.

Master
    Wood is great and romantic and all that jazz, but when you just want to make a pizza that you know will be at the right temperature and you dont want to have to manage a fire theres no comparison.
    Can spend more time with guests if you have them and can always stick a few logs in a chimenea or fire pit so people smell of smoke.

*Some* people swear theres a taste difference.

Another bonus for the Pro is my full size peel fits :)

There did seem to be a shortage of gas bottles last year which was a bugger if you use them a lot and needed the larger size but not had to get a refill this year and that may have just been lots of people getting them during the decent weather last year.

Craftsman
    Inspired by this thread to buy a pizza oven that goes on the top of a BBQ from Aldi.....£39......used for the first time last night and I must say Pitch is a pizza god, used his dough recipe and tips and the pizzas were as good as any I've had..... many thanks !!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    Inspired by this thread to buy a pizza oven that goes on the top of a BBQ from Aldi.....£39......used for the first time last night and I must say Pitch is a pizza god, used his dough recipe and tips and the pizzas were as good as any I've had..... many thanks !!!!!!
    Great stuff and good to hear. Let’s get some pics up.

Pitch

Master
    No photos but fired up the unni again today, salami, chilli onion and mushroom. Lovely.

Have pulled pork in the sous vide for tomorrow so leftovers on pizza Tuesday.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought one of these from Costco last year. Only got around to making it last week. Used it twice so far. Bit of a cheat but the results good and much better than buying a pre-made pizza.

I bought that set last week,not used it yet ,it was a good price compared to some bbq,hope it’s decent.

Blog Entries
    First ones in this year today and first batch with no yeast tried baking powder.

Not overly impressed but may try adding sugar bank in next time.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Come on, show us the final product!

I made a real novice mistake last week when the football was on .
    Primed everything, oven sizzling , pizza base overloaded on a well floured peel .
    Left it to stew ( big mistake) and couldn’t get it off the peel into the oven .
    Elementary 😳

If you make your own pizza dough, you may find this useful (and practice your Italian in the process)

Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Come on, show us the final product!
    Sorry my friend they were eaten before I thought.

Pitch

Journeyman

Pizza I had in Lourdes,France...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Sorry my friend they were eaten before I thought.

Pitch
    This is just not cricket ;)

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by synequano View Post

Pizza I had in Lourdes,France...
    Is that pineapple?????

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    If you make your own pizza dough, you may find this useful (and practice your Italian in the process)

Interesting thanks. He touches on a problem I always have, the base sticks to anything. I try to avoid too much flour for the reason he gives, burnt bottoms, but if I leave the base for more time than loading it takes I have a real problem getting it onto the peel. Invariably I end up with triangular pizzas as it doesn't slide evenly into the peel.
    I was under the impression that high hydration dough was better, just harder to work with. Think the recipe I use is 64% from here https://youtu.be/ua63C5RYTg8

So is it just me and how do I fix it?

Blog Entries
    If you look on my pic above David, once I have stretched the base I pop them onto the round wooden peels which I lightly sprinkle with semolina and then add toppings, they slide straight off. I then use a small round steel to spin the in the oven and a big traditional paddle type to remove.

No sticking whatsoever mate.

Pitch

Craftsman

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    After trying many this is my go to.

480g - oo flour
    50g - semolina flour
    2 tspn - caster sugar and salt
    5g - dried yeast dissolved in 350ml warm water.

Mix, knead until really smooth and not sticking to the worktop.

Cut into 165-180g balls, roll and put into sandwich bags oiled into the fridge.

Take out 30-45 mins before use, knock back into balls and into proving tray.

With this they stretch out really well and don’t spring back.

Hope this works.

Pitch
    How many pizzas does this make ?

Is proofing overnight in the fridge long enough ?

Also, do you not add yeast ? Most recipes I have seen mention yeast

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    How many pizzas does this make ?

Is proofing overnight in the fridge long enough ?

Also, do you not add yeast ? Most recipes I have seen mention yeast
    Yeast is there buddy.

Overnight should be fine, bring up to room temp, knock back cut into 180g balls, flour and cover with cling film so they don’t dry or get a skim.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    Well the season is in full swing with a few nice Sunday’s and a Friday session cooking 30 odd pizzas for some of the guys and gals in the business.

Enjoy....

Blog Entries

Well finally sorted my ooni 3 today with gas fitting. Stupid say to do it as its heaving down with rain and I've had to set up on the garage floor. So been prepping in the kitchen and running out to the garage with a pizza on the peel.

Basically followed Pitches dough recipe this morning and made 3 160g balls. Took out the fridge about 2 hours before required.

First on was a compete disaster as I couldn't get it off the peel so most of the topping ended up on the stone! Onwards and upwards and on to the next which with a large amount of flour on the peel seemed to go OK.

I do apologise for the pineapple on the second one, the wife wanted it. The biggest problem I found was getting the pizza and topping onto the peel. I tried topping it while the base is on the peel but I guess you have work quick. Also getting a good shape.

Ha e to say pitches recipe is great a d I can't wait to have another crack at it

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Master
    Did you try semolina flour on the peel?

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Did you try semolina flour on the peel?
    Unfortunately they didnt have any in tesco. I put some oo flour on it. Does semolia make a difference?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Unfortunately they didnt have any in tesco. I put some oo flour on it. Does semolia make a difference?

Yeh it’s helps it ‘roll off’ the peel
    I get our from a local Nepalese shop

Ideally you want something a bit coarser, like semolina.

Our Tesco has boxes of semolina in pudding/custard section but what's better is coarser semolina found in 'ethnic' grocers.

Master
    Apparently it also makes a difference if the peel is cold or not. I tend to have one issue per batch but a hot peel, so if you use it to turn the pizza for instance, helps the next one stick.
    I always thought a turning peel a bit unnecessary but I may be wrong.
    On the whole plenty of flour on the surface and on the peel and keep it moving in the transfer between surface and oven. This stops it sticking but also gets rid of some of the xs flour.

I use a wooden peel to launch and a steel turning peel during cooking to rotate.

A tip i picked up from somewhere and which I use is to just lift the edge of the dough and blow under the pizza just before launch. Helps un-stick it and it glides right off. Adding too much flour or semolina can burn when cooking so the blowing under it works well (although gets some funny looks )

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'll try to hunt the semolina flour out for next time. One thing I will do though is make bigger dough balls. I made two at 160g and they weren't big enough. I'll try 180g next time as I think that'll be the max size for the oven. How do people transfer the pizza onto the peel? With or without topping on? I found the base too thin to pick up with the topping on so it just stretched out throwing all the cheese etc into the middle. I'm scared of the base sticking to the peel while putting the topping on but I guess the semolina flour will be better at preventing sticking than the oo flour

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Apparently it also makes a difference if the peel is cold or not. I tend to have one issue per batch but a hot peel, so if you use it to turn the pizza for instance, helps the next one stick.
    I always thought a turning peel a bit unnecessary but I may be wrong.
    On the whole plenty of flour on the surface and on the peel and keep it moving in the transfer between surface and oven. This stops it sticking but also gets rid of some of the xs flour.
    Good tips thanks, so basically a cold peel and semolina flour

Master
    Never had an issue with sticking to the peel since I used semolina flour. I have the fine stuff and you don’t need much on the peel. Totally different to ordinary flour. If you can’t find it in shops it’s readily available from Amazon.

Anyone already tried the Ooni Koda? I am drawn back and forth between the Pro and the Koda.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Anyone already tried the Ooni Koda? I am drawn back and forth between the Pro and the Koda.
    I did a fair bit of research on this a while ago. Cost is the main factor, the pro is £500 and the koda £245 on the website. The koda is I think gas only, the pro is wood / gas (at extra cost for the burner). I think I read somewhere the koda is pretty light and there was concern about it reaching and maintaining temperature. Also size of pizza, I think in the koda you're limited to max 12", the pro you can go larger. To be honest this is why I went for the Ooni 3. I got totally set up for about £300 with buying a gas bottle and have the choice of wood pellet / gas. I couldn't stomach paying £500 for something that will be used only occasionally. That was my thought process anyway.

Master
    I'll try to hunt the semolina flour out for next time. One thing I will do though is make bigger dough balls. I made two at 160g and they weren't big enough. I'll try 180g next time as I think that'll be the max size for the oven. How do people transfer the pizza onto the peel? With or without topping on? I found the base too thin to pick up with the topping on so it just stretched out throwing all the cheese etc into the middle. I'm scared of the base sticking to the peel while putting the topping on but I guess the semolina flour will be better at preventing sticking than the oo flour
    I use 220-230g balls but hand stretch to get a good crust.
    Get a wooden peel for launching the pizza and use the metal to turn.
    Build on the wooden peel and give a shake after adding sauce and cheese and again as adding toppings to keep it mobile do it again just before launching, makes sure you don’t just launch the topping into the oven.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Raffe iirc you also cook via souse vide?
    Based on that I think you might be happier with the pro, it’s larger so not just bigger pizza but more capacity for roasting and searing. I have a 2s and that gives a great sear on Sv steaks but only 1-2 at a time.

As already said the pro will run on wood, charcoal, pellets or gas so again more flex.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Raffe iirc you also cook via souse vide?
    Based on that I think you might be happier with the pro, it’s larger so not just bigger pizza but more capacity for roasting and searing. I have a 2s and that gives a great sear on Sv steaks but only 1-2 at a time.

As already said the pro will run on wood, charcoal, pellets or gas so again more flex.
    Yes, I know. I am desperately looking for arguments not to buy the Pro.

I know how this will end (measuring space and looking at base table already)....
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    my local Homebase had a couple of bargain Pro's- £350