closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 2640

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    No semolina in the dough, I do it sometimes but not this time. The difference is in taste rather than consistency.

The semolina you are seeing on the picture is from the stretching process. I keep wanting to buy rice flour but always forget.

Had it for almost a year, mine is the P134HA model (which is a bit higher, same as boss13).

Not sure you can integrate it into kitchen, those things get quite hot and will probably need some space. I have it sitting on a shelf.
    Nice one thanks for that

Master
    Chaps, anyone making 14-16" pizzas? Looking for recommendations for the dough ball size.

I'd been making 10-12" pizzas, and 250g was perfect for me (Neapolitan style)

I've upgraded the 12" Koda to the 16"

I'm thinking maybe 330g to start?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Chaps, anyone making 14-16" pizzas? Looking for recommendations for the dough ball size.

I’ve not cooked 14-16” before but from an area perspective the increase from 12” to 16” is a factor of ~1.8.
    Which would mean 250 * 1.8 = 450g so perhaps see what 400g is like and adjust from there?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I’ve not cooked 14-16” before but from an area perspective the increase from 12” to 16” is a factor of ~1.8.
    Which would mean 250 * 1.8 = 450g so perhaps see what 400g is like and adjust from there?
    Knew there would be a maths solution - thanks!

Think I'll try 330g for a 14" and see how I go before moving to 16"

Knew there would be a maths solution - thanks!

Think I'll try 330g for a 14" and see how I go before moving to 16"
    The factor for 14" is 1.36 - hence your mathematically correct result is 340gr.

The challenge probably lies with stretching such a large pizza, have never done it but it sounds like you may need some practice.

Master
    Thanks Raffe! I’ve got pretty ok doing the 12” so hoping it won’t be a complete disaster! I’ll maybe drop the hydration a tad too, to help handling

Master
    Blog Entries

Ive just bought the koda 16. Any reason you moved from the 12 apart from size of pizza? wasnt sure which to go for but as usual in my head bigger must mean better.

I now need to learn how to make dough. Im hoping its easy enough, ill have to start trawling through this thread.

Edit; Ive put it in SC but selfridges have 20% off OONI at the moment.
    Last edited by sprite1275; 12th November 2020 at 12:20.

Caputo Pizzeria at 65% tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks very pretty, but I would suggest a little less heat from above.

Master
    First go on the Koda 16 last night, such a joy having the extra room to manage the pizza inside! Stretching the dough is certainly a little trickier on a 14” pizza, but had no dramas. Went for 330g per ball and it was fine.

Danish pepperoni, salami and n’duja

Late night Ooni pizza session...

... quattro formaggi

Beautiful cold silent night with stars in the sky

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Question - anyone use a Weber BBQ for pizza?

I got the version with the removable centre and the pizza stone for it, but it just doesn’t do the temperature. So, I’ve started big fires of kiln-dried birch in there, which really brings things to life. The pizzas are awesome, but I suspect that I’m going to burn the bottom out of the kettle in no time.

Any experience?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Question - anyone use a Weber BBQ for pizza?

I got the version with the removable centre and the pizza stone for it, but it just doesn’t do the temperature. So, I’ve started big fires of kiln-dried birch in there, which really brings things to life. The pizzas are awesome, but I suspect that I’m going to burn the bottom out of the kettle in no time.

Any experience?
    I used to use the stone on a Weber. Found the base cooked more quickly vs the tops.

A bit of research suggested some charcoal baskets up on top of the grill provided the required extra heat up top. About 6 briquettes either side.

The semolina you are seeing on the picture is from the stretching process. I keep wanting to buy rice flour but always forget.
    Finally came around to buying rice flour and tested it for the first time today. Absolute game changer, much better than semolina for stretching the dough.

Strong recommendation!
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master

I’ve just ordered a koda I’m hoping I’ll be able to cook better pizzas using gas than I have been doing on the fyra

I have never operated a Fyra, surprised you are not getting along with it. Hopefully the Koda will give you better results.

Talking about results, pretty unconvincing picture of a very flat pizza in the above marketing material by Ooni. You can buy better deep-frozen pizzas than that.

Master
    Finally came around to buying rice flour and tested it for the first time today. Absolute game changer, much better than semolina for stretching the dough.

Strong recommendation!
    Thanks for the top tip.

When you say for stretching, assume you sprinkle on the surface? Perhaps also on peel for the launch?

Koda 12 ordered! Thanks

Master
    I have never operated a Fyra, surprised you are not getting along with it. Hopefully the Koda will give you better results.

Talking about results, pretty unconvincing picture of a very flat pizza in the above marketing material by Ooni. You can buy better deep-frozen pizzas than that.
    I’m sure it’s me more than ooni, like most men I struggle with multi tasking loading pellets in between prepping the next pizza is a chore and so my thinking is with gas that’s one issue I’ll no longer have to worry about and I can concentrate on the pizza ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Thanks for the top tip.

When you say for stretching, assume you sprinkle on the surface? Perhaps also on peel for the launch?
    I drop the dough ball into a bowl with rice flour, and then put some flour onto the surface before stretching. I then gradually remove the rice underneath it with every turn. Sprinkle some flour on the tip of the peel before I slide it underneath the stretched and prepared pizza.

Like this, minus the Italian accent:

Master

Strong recommendation!
    Our local pizza restaurant closed in March and for some reason didn’t reopen at all again. A couple of weeks ago they announced that they were going to sell pizza kits (box full of dough and all the ingredients). Even though Amanda makes great homemade pizza with the ooni and also just in the oven, we thought we’d try it to see if it was the same restaurant quality - it was and she noticed that the rice flour it came with made so much difference.

As you say, game changer.

Master
    I drop the dough ball into a bowl with rice flour, and then put some flour onto the surface before stretching. I then gradually remove the rice underneath it with every turn. Sprinkle some flour on the tip of the peel before I slide it underneath the stretched and prepared pizza.

Like this, minus the Italian accent:

About 6.14 when he transfers the base to the peel, why doesn't that stick to the marble? surface. There is no flour there I can see.
    That's where I always have issues. Whatever surface I use and however swiftly I build the pizza when it's time to transfer to the peel at the very least it grabs a bit and makes a rather odd shape, tastes fine, or worst it's just stuck. Generally I'm using more flour under the pizza that I'd like here to try and prevent disaster.
    I've bought some wooden launch peels as I'm aware that the metal one remains a bit warm from previous use so doesn't let the pizza launch as well as it might but sticking to the build surface remains an issue. I have tried semolina and that does help a little.
    Gas bought so roccbox out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    About 6.14 when he transfers the base to the peel, why doesn't that stick to the marble? surface. There is no flour there I can see.
    That's where I always have issues. Whatever surface I use and however swiftly I build the pizza when it's time to transfer to the peel at the very least it grabs a bit and makes a rather odd shape, tastes fine, or worst it's just stuck. Generally I'm using more flour under the pizza that I'd like here to try and prevent disaster.
    I've bought some wooden launch peels as I'm aware that the metal one remains a bit warm from previous use so doesn't let the pizza launch as well as it might but sticking to the build surface remains an issue. I have tried semolina and that does help a little.
    Gas bought so roccbox out this weekend.
    Replace the semolina with rice flour. You really need to roll the dough in the rice flour prior to stretching and leave a generous amount of flour underneath the dough as you stretch as the stretching keeps exposing new sticky surface. Once you are done, swipe the remaining flour away and then the dough should be non-sticky (at least for a few minutes), enabling you to put the condiments on and slide the peel underneath. I use a teflon coated metal peel for launching the pizza into the oven and a standat stainless steel round one for turning and taking the pizza out. You need two peels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I used to use the stone on a Weber. Found the base cooked more quickly vs the tops.

A bit of research suggested some charcoal baskets up on top of the grill provided the required extra heat up top. About 6 briquettes either side.

That makes a lot of sense - indeed, embarrassingly obvious when you think about it. I’ll have a go and report back 👍

I mostly use a Weber to cook mine, it takes a little practice to get it right.

First of all, you cannot make the picture perfect Napolitano pizzas often shared here, it simply doesn't get hot enough, but you can make amazing pizzas that I promise taste just as good.

Leave the BBQ with the stone in and the lid down for 15 minutes will all gas burners on full. At best the air temp will get to 250C. The first pizza usually takes 4-5 minutes to cook and will taste lovely but look a little pallid. The next couple will be great and cook in 3-4 minutes. Then it gets dodgy. At some point the base gets too hot and, as you have noticed, the pizza dough burns on the bottom before the top melts. When I make the pizza with a crunchy base in ~3 minutes I then turn the heat down and let the stone cool before going again.

I should probably get an IR thermometer to measure exactly what's going on, but I've done ok with feel so far.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    I mostly use a Weber to cook mine, it takes a little practice to get it right.

First of all, you cannot make the picture perfect Napolitano pizzas often shared here, it simply doesn't get hot enough, but you can make amazing pizzas that I promise taste just as good.

Leave the BBQ with the stone in and the lid down for 15 minutes will all gas burners on full. At best the air temp will get to 250C. The first pizza usually takes 4-5 minutes to cook and will taste lovely but look a little pallid. The next couple will be great and cook in 3-4 minutes. Then it gets dodgy. At some point the base gets too hot and, as you have noticed, the pizza dough burns on the bottom before the top melts. When I make the pizza with a crunchy base in ~3 minutes I then turn the heat down and let the stone cool before going again.

I should probably get an IR thermometer to measure exactly what's going on, but I've done ok with feel so far.
    Try putting the stone a bit higher, you can either use some bricks or the flavouriser bars. The effect is that the stone is closer to the lid and more heat is reflected from above, while it's also further away from the gas burners. You have a better heat balance like this. Needless to say that you have to be extremely economical with the time when opening the lid, as the heat escaping is the biggest problem with the Weber setup.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Im new to this but What would be best for a 16 koda? was thinking a 16" paddle to make the pizza on and launch with a 12" x 14" metal peel to turn and retrieve the pizza? Does the dough stick more to wood?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Im new to this but What would be best for a 16 koda? was thinking a 16" paddle to make the pizza on and launch with a 12" x 14" metal peel to turn and retrieve the pizza? Does the dough stick more to wood?
    The dough sticks less on wood, but a wooden peel is thicker and you cannot slide it underneath the pizza, you will have to lift the pizza onto the peel. Both works, it's a question of preference and training.

Size of the peels depends on what size pizza you are planning to bake. I doubt you'll do 16" pizzas, 12" is sufficient for an adult and you can really work nicely with a smaller pizza in the larger oven rather than with a large pizza and having to turn it all the time to keep it from burning to ashes on one side. I would recommend 12" for launching (14" max) and a small 10" round peel for turning and removing the pizza. A small round one is much better for turning and the size don't matter much when you remove the ppizza as it is stable when baked.

I posted this image a few posts back. It shows a 12" round peel, which I bought first but which is not good for turning the pizza. I have another 10" for my wood-fired oven where I need to turn the pizza, use the 12" only with the electrical oven as I only remove the pizza with it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The dough sticks less on wood, but a wooden peel is thicker and you cannot slide it underneath the pizza, you will have to lift the pizza onto the peel. Both works, it's a question of preference and training.
    I was thinking of making the pizza on the wooden peel, then use the 12" metal peel to turn and take out. Thought the extra space in the koda 16 would let me turn the pizza with a 12" peel.

Master
    Will have to try the rice flour based on these discussions. I have a kilo of it in the cupboard for a reason I cannot recall!

Master
    Thanks Raffe, I'll see how I get on at the weekend and try and source some rice flour.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Need to try making my first dough. Going into town tomorrow. Can you get this rice flour (this is just for stretching I take it?) from general supermarkets?

Will any strong white flour do? I have some dried Allison easy bake yeast in the cupboard. Anything else I need?

Having used a weber stone on a e410 for a year, I have been really pleased with the results although I now have a Koda 16 which will get it's first run out tomorrow.

I tend to make my own dough and having read the tips above, may tweak my recipe to allow a better stretch.

Looking forward to it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Having used a weber stone on a e410 for a year, I have been really pleased with the results although I now have a Koda 16 which will get it's first run out tomorrow.

I tend to make my own dough and having read the tips above, may tweak my recipe to allow a better stretch.

Looking forward to it.
    Used a stone on an E310, kettle and an egg. The Koda 16 has been the most amazing game changer in my pizza. Enjoy the first cook.

I turn the gas right down prior to launch to allow it to cook vs burn. Also wait at least 20s before the first turn, these were my initial mistakes.

Look forward to seeing the results.

Need to try making my first dough. Going into town tomorrow. Can you get this rice flour (this is just for stretching I take it?) from general supermarkets?

Will any strong white flour do? I have some dried Allison easy bake yeast in the cupboard. Anything else I need?
    I used strong white flour for years, then upped my game after reading this thread.

Now I use 00 grade Caputo flour and Caputo semolina flour for dusting (also sometimes include a small amount in the dough mix).

I got some activated dry yeast from Caputo also. Use the PizzApp to calculate your quantities and proove time.

The Mutti Pizza Sauce is my personal favourite base. There are others out there!

I get supplies online from A DiMaria.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I used strong white flour for years, then upped my game after reading this thread.

Now I use 00 grade Caputo flour and Caputo semolina flour for dusting (also sometimes include a small amount in the dough mix).

I got some activated dry yeast from Caputo also. Use the PizzApp to calculate your quantities and proove time.

The Mutti Pizza Sauce is my personal favourite base. There are others out there!

I get supplies online from A DiMaria.
    Thanks I'll order these ingredients. Is the 'blue' 00 the one to go for? Also that's a lot of sauce, do you freeze it?

Thanks I'll order these ingredients. Is the 'blue' 00 the one to go for? Also that's a lot of sauce, do you freeze it?
    Blue is good for proof times up to 24h, red is for longer.

Blog Entries
    Been really busy chaps and dialling in its great to see all is well and winter in not dampening the spirit.

Suffolk is now entering tier 2 so looks like we are entertaining outdoors next week so time to get back into the swing of things.....

Have a good weekend all

Pitch

Master
    Have a brain freeze. When using pizza app and entering for example 24 hours RT. Is that 24 hours before balling? Pretty sure that is how I have always done it. For example. I will make dough 10am tomorrow. Leave for 24 hours. Then 10am Sunday ball it up and leave another 6 hours in balls. Pretty sure I have always done this and entered 24 hours on the app. But now thinking it through should I be entering 30 hours!?

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Have a brain freeze. When using pizza app and entering for example 24 hours RT. Is that 24 hours before balling? Pretty sure that is how I have always done it. For example. I will make dough 10am tomorrow. Leave for 24 hours. Then 10am Sunday ball it up and leave another 6 hours in balls. Pretty sure I have always done this and entered 24 hours on the app. But now thinking it through should I be entering 30 hours!?
    Yes, that's 30 hours.

Asda - build your own pizza in their deli section. Can’t go wrong! Some of the nicest pizzas I’ve had!

Yes, sorry, get the blue!

I generally freeze the sauce afterwards but divide what is left into two as it goes a long way!

Can anyone recommend a good pizza wheel?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    Asda - build your own pizza in their deli section. Can’t go wrong! Some of the nicest pizzas I’ve had!

Out........ now

Master
    Sunday effort.

Getting there!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Out........ now
    An Asda deli pizza and a bottle of Heinz garlic sauce is all you need. I’m getting hungry now thinking about them haha.

Master
    An Asda deli pizza and a bottle of Heinz garlic sauce is all you need. I’m getting hungry now thinking about them haha.

There’s a ban hammer incoming for such vile discussion on this thread.

May your pepperoni never curl & crisp!

My wife does love that sauce tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    There’s a ban hammer incoming for such vile discussion on this thread.

May your pepperoni never curl & crisp!

My wife does love that sauce tho...

In all seriousness we are thinking of building a bbq area in the garden but having looked at some of the photos in this thread I am thinking a pizza oven is the way to go! Had never considered one before.

Master
    In all seriousness we are thinking of building a bbq area in the garden but having looked at some of the photos in this thread I am thinking a pizza oven is the way to go! Had never considered one before.

I have a (previously much loved) Weber bbq, that hasn’t been switched on since March, which coincidentally was around the same time my first Ooni arrived!

In this house it's barbecue or pizza three days a week, snow, rain or shine.