closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 24 of 53 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 2641

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    In this house it's barbecue or pizza three days a week, snow, rain or shine.
    When can I move in?

Can bring a BGE with me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewood View Post
    In all seriousness we are thinking of building a bbq area in the garden but having looked at some of the photos in this thread I am thinking a pizza oven is the way to go! Had never considered one before.

I’d love an outdoor kitchen area, have a garage sized plot of patio next to the garage where my BGE sits in the huge table. Ooni goes on top of that when cooking & have a retractable awning, but would love something a bit nicer.

Shame it’s not a little larger size wise so could manage seating etc. Maybe in the forever house when we retire!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    recommendations for decent Pizza pans?
    Yes: Don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Double don’t.

What you think bud.
    It's an old question - just interested to get the view on why no pizza trays / pans ?

I was interested in trying the "Bar style" pizza recipe

https://uk.ooni.com/blogs/recipes/bar-style-pizza

(Not my photo!)

Whatever it is that you bake in a pan - it ain't no pizza.

https://www.pizzanapoletana.org/publ...02008%20UK.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    It's an old question - just interested to get the view on why no pizza trays / pans ?

I was interested in trying the "Bar style" pizza recipe

https://uk.ooni.com/blogs/recipes/bar-style-pizza

(Not my photo!)
    I’ll play the contrarian here.

Personally, I love Neapolitan pizza and that’s what I try to emulate at home, however, having travelled much of the states in my younger life I know there are many other styles that can be equally as satisfying. It’s all about horses for courses.

One day I will get round to making a Chicago or Detroit pizza at home. They’re not my favourite type and I certainly wouldn’t routinely pick them over Neapolitan, but I’d like to have them in my repertoire for some variation once in a while and to be able to cater for other people’s tastes.

I have been to Chicago and tried some of their local pies. Not my favourite, but interesting stuff and some of it was very nice and tasty.

Still not pizza.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good deal here if it stays low for the ooni pro + accessories

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ooni-pro-...ca9f%7Ciid%3A1

Blog Entries
    A bit lively last night.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tried making our first pizzas last night. Only had strong white flour. Proofed for about 4 hours. All went pretty well apart from the first one was a bit square and tore a bit. Also burnt in one side.

Second one was a lot better. Both tasted lovely though.

Master
    A bit lively last night.
    You leave the heating on by accident? :D

Craftsman
    A bit lively last night.
    What’s your recipe? Do you use a starter?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You leave the heating on by accident? :D
    Left overs from last night buddy, made a lovely loaf.

You are kicking on nicely

Pitch

Craftsman
    I’m still experimenting with different proofs but my goodness how much better than a take away pizza

Master
    A little psa

I’ve upgraded to a koda so my 6 month old fyra is going on sc if anyone’s on the hunt £150

Blog Entries
    It’s been along time since I have posed pizza pics so here goes from Saturday.

Pitch

zooville

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    What’s your recipe? Do you use a starter?
    No, I am growing the starter again I let it dip.

The dough was Nuvola 60% and 8hr baulk, 4 hr balled and then the left over balls baulked again for a further 12 hours.

I then made a loaf with it.

bcfs san antonio

Ta

Pitch

That was nice.

Master
    Blimey, look at that crust!!

Master
    I can only dream of a crust like that!

I can only dream of a crust like that!

It was a quick dough, made it in the morning with 7 hours proofing.

I had actually done two balls, as I usually do even when I am alone at home. I normally stick one of them into the fridge for the next day. Yesterday, I however forgot to do that and ended up with two mature pizza balls.

They both tasted very good.

Master
    I’ve get to try a same day dough, as always worry I won’t get any good results. That photo proves otherwise by a considerable margin.

Assume the yeast just gets increased significantly as per the pizza app direction.

That photo proves otherwise..
    I rather hope that was unintentional.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I’ve get to try a same day dough, as always worry I won’t get any good results. That photo proves otherwise by a considerable margin.

Assume the yeast just gets increased significantly as per the pizza app direction.

Just follow the app....

Caputo Blu for this one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I rather hope that was unintentional.
    Completely, even took a while to work out your post, long day staring at the monitor again!

Master
    Just follow the app....

Caputo Blu for this one.
    Coming to the end of my 25kg Blu, will be trying another next in smaller bags for some variety.

Caputo Rosso with 10% spelt, 24 hour proof.

Did a couple of pizzas with potatoes, quattro formaggio and for me one with salsiccia, chanterelles and olives.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with that buddy.

I didn’t turn up to the vGTG till late and disappointed I missed you Raffe. Next time.

Pitch

Nothing wrong with that buddy.

I didn’t turn up to the vGTG till late and disappointed I missed you Raffe. Next time.

Pitch
    Likewise.

Next time.

Sometimes less is more...well, not today
    Smoked ham, mozzarella with some cherry tomatoes and shaved courgette (with tomato peeler)

Beers

Poslano sa mog SM-G960F koriste?i Tapatalk

Is it Sunday again?

Mortadella and egg.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do folks find a lot of difference between strong white flour and 00? I've only ever used the former but finding it hard to stretch out the dough. The taste is fine but is the 00 easier to stretch? Or is there anything you can put in the mix to help the stretch?

Craftsman
    They all look great, this lockdown I’m getting the cookbook out. Any pointers to making the base.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Do folks find a lot of difference between strong white flour and 00? I've only ever used the former but finding it hard to stretch out the dough. The taste is fine but is the 00 easier to stretch? Or is there anything you can put in the mix to help the stretch?

Never put anything into the dough except for water, flour, salt and yeast (or sourdough). Never any sugar or oil. Never. Ever.

If your dough doesn't stretch easily, you need to work on your technique. Dough needs careful preparation, stretch and folds and then a decent proofing time. Always prepare your dough the day before. If you find that too cumbersome, pizza baking isn't for you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never put anything into the dough except for water, flour, salt and yeast (or sourdough). Never any sugar or oil. Never. Ever.

If your dough doesn't stretch easily, you need to work on your technique. Dough needs careful preparation, stretch and folds and then a decent proofing time. Always prepare your dough the day before. If you find that too cumbersome, pizza baking isn't for you.
    So it's the proofing time that makes it easier? I'll admit that I've only ever made the dough on the day with around 5 hours proof. Though don't agree pizza baking is a no go without 24hour proofing. Although I find it hard to stretch we still make nice tasting pizza.

I take it you don't use a mixer?

So it's the proofing time that makes it easier? I'll admit that I've only ever made the dough on the day with around 5 hours proof. Though don't agree pizza baking is a no go without 24hour proofing. Although I find it hard to stretch we still make nice tasting pizza.

I take it you don't use a mixer?
    I only use a mixer when I am making more than two or three pizzas. Small batches are made quicker by hand. Takes at least an hour to prepare the dough (with resting times), sometimes two hours. Knead, let rest, stretch and fold, repeat. Four times minimum. Form a nice thick ball and let proof. Then cut into portion-sized balls (I do 280gr, though I am flirting with the thought of going down again to 250gr). Then another five or six hours proofing. Stretches like a dream.

The perfect pizza takes an overnight proof, but I have done 8hr/9hr dough. Not perfect and they usually taste a bit yeasty because it simply takes more yeast to finish the dough in such short time. Not really recommended.

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Sorry, but this isn’t the best advice. Sugar and oil do form part of the process for some dough/pizzas. To say they have no place is bordering on pomposity.

The ingredients within the dough are totally dependent on the type of pizza you are endeavouring to make and this will be dictated, to a degree, by the type of oven you have available to you.

Raffe is right for Neapolitan pizza, but many other types of pizza exist and the reality is that Neapolitan pizza is hard to replicate in a home oven.

Equally, it doesn’t need to be a laborious time consuming thing to make dough. Play with the ingredients, make the style you enjoy and just have some fun with it. To say that “it’s not for you” unless you follow someone else’s predefined rules is utter nonsense I’m afraid.

Last edited by boris9; 4th January 2021 at 22:32.

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Sorry, but this isn’t the best advice. Sugar and oil do form part of the process for some dough/pizzas. To say they have no place is bordering on pomposity.

The ingredients within the dough are totally dependent on the type of pizza you are endeavouring to make and this will be dictated, to a degree, by the type of oven you have available to you.

Raffe is right for Neapolitan pizza, but many other types of pizza exist and the reality is that Neapolitan pizza is hard to replicate in a home oven.

OK, I agree there are pizza variations across the world, and some of them use all sorts of ingredients. Even the Romans use a bit of oil, and then don't get me started about the sugar in Detroit or Chicago pizzas. The absolutely worst culinary experience in my lifetime was when I was proudly invited to eat a Norwegian style 'pizza' in Shanghai, absolutely disgusting.

But this thread has been from the beginning about Neapolitan pizza. Anyone adding oil or sugar to Neapolitan pizza deserves to be hanged, drawn, quartered, tarred and feathered (other sequence of events acceptable). Same for people insulting the holy art of pizzamaking by using their home ovens. End of.

OK, I agree there are pizza variations across the world, and some of them use all sorts of ingredients. Even the Romans use a bit of oil, and then don't get me started about the sugar in Detroit or Chicago pizzas. The absolutely worst culinary experience in my lifetime was when I was proudly invited to eat a Norwegian style 'pizza' in Shanghai, absolutely disgusting.

But this thread has been from the beginning about Neapolitan pizza. Anyone adding oil or sugar to Neapolitan pizza deserves to be hanged, drawn, quartered, tarred and feathered (other sequence of events acceptable). Same for people insulting the holy art of pizzamaking by using their home ovens. End of.
    Well, if we are limited to discussing Neapolitan pizza, then I cannot disagree with anything you’ve suggested!

Water, yeast, flour and salt - plus some patience.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did the 24 hour proofing. The dough was a lot easier to stretch and seemed to have better texture when eating. Only trouble I had this time was the launch. It's a lot stickier after 24 hours. Any tips on this without using loads of flour/semolina ?

Not sure if anyone has done this but my koda16 stays outside. Didn't fancy paying £45 for the ooni cover so ordered a backpack rain cover. Fits great and also has straps for extra strength against wind. Because of the elastic it takes a second to fit.

Might help someone.

Did the 24 hour proofing. The dough was a lot easier to stretch and seemed to have better texture when eating. Only trouble I had this time was the launch. It's a lot stickier after 24 hours. Any tips on this without using loads of flour/semolina ?
    Great to hear.

Yes, the dough can indeed be a bit sticky after stretching as it exposes gluten to the surface. I recommend using rice flour, I drop the dough balls into a bowl of rice flour and then generously use more of it during the stretching. Towards the end of that exercise, wipe the flour with your hand to the side and make sure the pizza has only minimal rice flour sticking to it, just enough so it doesn't stick. Then you need to work rather quickly as the moisture will work its way from within the dough through the rice flour and make the pizza sticky again. But after a few repetitions you will get a feeling for how much flour you leave on the pizza.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'll give this a go next time. What is it about rice flour?

I'll give this a go next time. What is it about rice flour?
    Try it. It's a game changer.

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

67% hydration Caputo Pizzeria with a 24 hour proof.

Last edited by boris9; 15th January 2021 at 19:37.

Fair to say we have a type in this house when it comes to pizza.

Master
    Amazingly consistent, wish I could achieve that!

Amazingly consistent, wish I could achieve that!
    Consistency? One got five, the other one six slices of salami. Pfffhhhh.

(fantastic looking pizzas, btw. )

Master

(fantastic looking pizzas, btw. )
    HA, glad I wasn't the only one counting.

Agree, good looking pizzas. My last effort in the F1 put me off as they tasted burnt. I think I had the heat too high...haven't cooked for a couple of months now! I really need to test my skills soon!

Master
    Ouch!!!
    Harsh!
    :-)

I've neglected my Ooni Koda ... will be making some tomorrow.
    Pictures to follow.

Couple of pizzas from scratch tonight. Thought I'd try a calzone. Came out pretty well

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Master
    Getting better. More semolina flour on my launch peel means I'm not getting sticking disasters.
    Ooni same day dough
    Cooked in my ooni koda 16.

(metal tray for serving not cooking! :-)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by I a n; 17th January 2021 at 17:25.