closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,950 of 1959

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

  1. #1901
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,996
    Mrs Devonian made some dough to prove and went out for a few hours. Being impatient I decided to put the Effeuno on in the afternoon and make my own pizza (I normally avoid the dough).

    When we’ve been to Rome in the past they often have ‘white’ pizzas so I decided to make my own version. Put some olive oil on the base and then some broccoli which I’d boiled slightly then fried in some olive oil, followed by my homemade Italian sausage (which is delicious) and mozzarella. Pizza base not up to the standard of my wife’s, but the pizza was incredibly tasty, one of the best I’ve had. Not having a tomato base made a refreshing change and even made Mrs D one when she got back and she agreed. The Italian sausage is a game changer for me :-)



  2. #1902
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,960
    Blog Entries
    1
    Salsiccia on pizza is fantastic.

    I am not the biggest fan of white pizza, but every now and then I do one (potatoes pizza still being my favourite).

    Yours looks very nice.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  3. #1903
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,625
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Salsiccia on pizza is fantastic.

    I am not the biggest fan of white pizza, but every now and then I do one (potatoes pizza still being my favourite).

    Yours looks very nice.
    Potato pizza sounds dirty

  4. #1904
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,366
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Mrs Devonian made some dough to prove and went out for a few hours. Being impatient I decided to put the Effeuno on in the afternoon and make my own pizza (I normally avoid the dough).

    When we’ve been to Rome in the past they often have ‘white’ pizzas so I decided to make my own version. Put some olive oil on the base and then some broccoli which I’d boiled slightly then fried in some olive oil, followed by my homemade Italian sausage (which is delicious) and mozzarella. Pizza base not up to the standard of my wife’s, but the pizza was incredibly tasty, one of the best I’ve had. Not having a tomato base made a refreshing change and even made Mrs D one when she got back and she agreed. The Italian sausage is a game changer for me :-)


    That looks pretty good fella. So talk to me about ya sausage……

    I have some Nuvola on a 30hr that’s balled and coming out later with pumpkin cream base, I’m loving the white.

    Paul

  5. #1905
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,960
    Blog Entries
    1
    I will also have salsiccia on pizza tonight. Made the salsiccia myself with plenty of fennel.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  6. #1906
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,960
    Blog Entries
    1
    Salsiccia, cepes, spring onions, bufala.

    Not bad.



    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  7. #1907
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,625
    Beautiful as always!

  8. #1908
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    4,996
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    That looks pretty good fella. So talk to me about ya sausage……

    I have some Nuvola on a 30hr that’s balled and coming out later with pumpkin cream base, I’m loving the white.

    Paul
    Well since ya asked about my sausage . . . . :-)

    Joking aside I get asked to make it a lot on pizzas and also for sausage pasta. No measuring out, I just wing it every time. I toast (a lot) fennel seeds in a dry pan, grind them up, add salt, pepper, garlic powder, sweet paprika, oregano, lots of chilli flakes and some red wine vinegar and them mix it in with the sausage and cook in some olive oil. Taste damn good to be fair and the more fennel and chilli flakes I put it, the better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Salsiccia, cepes, spring onions, bufala.

    Not bad.



    I’m sure that was superb :-)

  9. #1909
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,960
    Blog Entries
    1
    Guanciale and burrata. Never tried that before, but it smells very nice.

    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  10. #1910
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,625
    Always seen it as a more fatty pancetta & the amount of fat to meat annoys me. There is flavour in fat but I do like some meat to go with it!

    Burrata is the best discovery from here so far. Will be trying the Italian sausage next for sure.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  11. #1911
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,960
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Always seen it as a more fatty pancetta & the amount of fat to meat annoys me. There is flavour in fat but I do like some meat to go with it!

    Burrata is the best discovery from here so far. Will be trying the Italian sausage next for sure.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Even if you trim it heavily, there is still a lot of fat left. But when it comes to taste, it beats pancetta with plenty margin. Carbonara is so much better with guanciale.

    I liked it on pizza, but next time on a white one.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  12. #1912
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,625
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Even if you trim it heavily, there is still a lot of fat left. But when it comes to taste, it beats pancetta with plenty margin. Carbonara is so much better with guanciale.

    I liked it on pizza, but next time on a white one.
    Will be trying the carbonara once the heatwave / summer has gone. Smash burgers tonight, quite possibly the best burger I’ve ever made - but the wrong thread!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #1913
    6 at my place tonight and the char worked well. Still need to perfect the stretch but hey

  14. #1914
    Master subseastu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ashby, uk
    Posts
    2,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Will be trying the carbonara once the heatwave / summer has gone. Smash burgers tonight, quite possibly the best burger I’ve ever made - but the wrong thread!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Please start a thread on that

    Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

  15. #1915
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bucks. UK.
    Posts
    1,352

    Dead Yeast

    FYI - I learned a little lesson about using old yeast.

    "Clever" me bought a bunch of flour and yeast about 6 months ago ... and guess what... Active Yeast doesn't last that long.

    Now you lot probably already know this - I learned this after making 2 batches of dough that stayed completely unrisen after 2 hours.

    Thankfully, having spotted the issue, I bought some plain old yeast to make sure I can feed my friends tomorrow.

    Is this a PSA ?

  16. #1916
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    15,355
    Blog Entries
    1
    Not sure if this has been discussed, but what tomato sauce recipe are you all using?

    I pour a can of Tesco's cheapest chopped tomatoes into a sieve over a bowl to drain excess juice, pour the excess juice into a glass and add vodka, ice and a dash of Worcester sauce. Then, suitably refreshed, I add a little salt to the drained tomatoes, a couple of torn basil leaves, and then crush until there are no big lumps. That's it for me. I find that one can of tomatoes does about 2 - 3 pizzas.

  17. #1917
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,960
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Not sure if this has been discussed, but what tomato sauce recipe are you all using?

    I pour a can of Tesco's cheapest chopped tomatoes into a sieve over a bowl to drain excess juice, pour the excess juice into a glass and add vodka, ice and a dash of Worcester sauce. Then, suitably refreshed, I add a little salt to the drained tomatoes, a couple of torn basil leaves, and then crush until there are no big lumps. That's it for me. I find that one can of tomatoes does about 2 - 3 pizzas.
    Very good practice, but for the real game replace your can of cheap Tesco stuff by proper whole San Marzano tomatoes.

    Why do you think the tomatoes are chopped before going into the can, and why are chopped cheaper than whole despite the extra step of work?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  18. #1918
    Master yumma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chelmsford, UK
    Posts
    2,763
    My first attempt at making and cooking a Pizza from scratch and cooking on the Weber bbq. I was pretty happy with it. One half Bianca, with Mascarpone, Mozzarella, Ham & Capers. The other half Margharita.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #1919
    Master davida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Stockport
    Posts
    1,180
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Not sure if this has been discussed, but what tomato sauce recipe are you all using?

    I pour a can of Tesco's cheapest chopped tomatoes into a sieve over a bowl to drain excess juice, pour the excess juice into a glass and add vodka, ice and a dash of Worcester sauce. Then, suitably refreshed, I add a little salt to the drained tomatoes, a couple of torn basil leaves, and then crush until there are no big lumps. That's it for me. I find that one can of tomatoes does about 2 - 3 pizzas.
    I know it’s cheating but I used the Mutti pizza sauce last time. Bloody lovely


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  20. #1920
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,625
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    My first attempt at making and cooking a Pizza from scratch and cooking on the Weber bbq. I was pretty happy with it. One half Bianca, with Mascarpone, Mozzarella, Ham & Capers. The other half Margharita.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good effort - always hard to cook without seeing it! I added briquettes to the grill itself, to get more heat over the top, like a pizza oven does. Found it helped with cooking base & topping together.

    Damn your bbq is shiny inside - you need to play with some low & slow smoking recipes and get it a bit less clean lol.

  21. #1921
    Master yumma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chelmsford, UK
    Posts
    2,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Good effort - always hard to cook without seeing it! I added briquettes to the grill itself, to get more heat over the top, like a pizza oven does. Found it helped with cooking base & topping together.

    Damn your bbq is shiny inside - you need to play with some low & slow smoking recipes and get it a bit less clean lol.
    Thanks very much. It won’t be staying shiny for long. It’s brand new. It will definitely be on smoking duties too.

  22. #1922
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,960
    Blog Entries
    1
    If you want to bake pizzas in your Weber, get a pizza ring. They help keeping the crucial heat inside. You problem with your setup is that you don't have enough heat from above, because every time you open the lid to launch a new pizza, all your heat disappears. You have enough heat to bake the bottom, but the top remains soggy and unbaked.

    Those rings are not expensive, can be bought at your local DIY or eBay.

    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  23. #1923
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,625
    Very good shout, had forgotten those existed.

  24. #1924
    Agreed, didn't know there was such a thing!

  25. #1925
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Guanciale and burrata. Never tried that before, but it smells very nice.

    Not once has my dough rose like that around the edges in the ooni 16. Always comes out stogie and never light and fluffy.

  26. #1926
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,960
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Not once has my dough rose like that around the edges in the ooni 16. Always comes out stogie and never light and fluffy.
    In all likelihood, your Ooni is innocent. You need to look at your dough recipe.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  27. #1927
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,960
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Will be trying the carbonara once the heatwave / summer has gone. Smash burgers tonight, quite possibly the best burger I’ve ever made - but the wrong thread!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yesterday we had Carbonara.












    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  28. #1928
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    5,625
    That looks fantastic, a simple dish that with good quality ingredients is mind-blowing.

    Can you edit out things like the pasta machine, or any other gadgets you have that will take me into a rabbit hole of research and spending please in future :D

  29. #1929
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Tyneside
    Posts
    724
    I know it's hot but couldn't resist.

    Sent from my Mi 9 SE using Tapatalk

  30. #1930
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,366
    Blog Entries
    1
    Sunday's bash with more and more pumpkin puree base

    Pitch




  31. #1931
    FYI many of the supermarket frozen pizzas are made by Freiberger / Dr Oetker/ Chigao town, they use to store them at Reed Boardall, Boroughbridge.
    Last edited by Bry1975; 10th August 2022 at 15:46.

  32. #1932
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    129
    Looks very nice pitch!

    We tried poolish this weekend, worked out okay except I made the dough too high hydration and it was a nightmare to handle, 3 pizzas were sacrificed to the flames




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. #1933
    These all look amazing chaps. Great to see the rapid progress you’re all making. I’m tempted to get an Effeuno P134 and looking at their Facebook page, they’re offering a really decent 20% discount right now. I can’t seem to find a way to get delivery to England though… Question to the Effeuno owners… Where’s the best place to get one?

    https://www.facebook.com/effeuno.forni.pizza.elettrici/

    Gary

  34. #1934
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,960
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    These all look amazing chaps. Great to see the rapid progress you’re all making. I’m tempted to get an Effeuno P134 and looking at their Facebook page, they’re offering a really decent 20% discount right now. I can’t seem to find a way to get delivery to England though… Question to the Effeuno owners… Where’s the best place to get one?

    https://www.facebook.com/effeuno.forni.pizza.elettrici/

    Gary
    You can order one for pickup at the factory and organise shipping yourself.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  35. #1935
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Sunday's bash with more and more pumpkin puree base

    Pitch
    Is the pumpkin puree people are using the same as American stuff sold for pumpkin pie (cheaper and more readily available) or it really has to be the Italian ingredient?

    Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    These all look amazing chaps. Great to see the rapid progress you’re all making. I’m tempted to get an Effeuno P134 and looking at their Facebook page, they’re offering a really decent 20% discount right now. I can’t seem to find a way to get delivery to England though… Question to the Effeuno owners… Where’s the best place to get one?

    https://www.facebook.com/effeuno.forni.pizza.elettrici/

    Gary
    Haven't got one or used them but know available from Black Rock Grill.

  36. #1936
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    15,355
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by galewis View Post
    These all look amazing chaps. Great to see the rapid progress you’re all making. I’m tempted to get an Effeuno P134 and looking at their Facebook page, they’re offering a really decent 20% discount right now. I can’t seem to find a way to get delivery to England though… Question to the Effeuno owners… Where’s the best place to get one?

    https://www.facebook.com/effeuno.forni.pizza.elettrici/

    Gary
    As a possible alternative, I saw one of these similar Sage pizza ovens in John Lewis over the weekend Seemed very solidly made.

    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/reviews/...zzaiolo-review

  37. #1937
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North and South.
    Posts
    27,116
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    As a possible alternative, I saw one of these similar Sage pizza ovens in John Lewis over the weekend Seemed very solidly made.

    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/reviews/...zzaiolo-review
    Lidl had one for £130 which looked pretty decent.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  38. #1938
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,366
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Is the pumpkin puree people are using the same as American stuff sold for pumpkin pie (cheaper and more readily available) or it really has to be the Italian ingredient?



    Haven't got one or used them but know available from Black Rock Grill.
    I’m using the Italian stuff from AdM. I do water it down a bit.

    Pitch

  39. #1939
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I’m using the Italian stuff from AdM. I do water it down a bit.

    Pitch
    Thanks, will take a look.

  40. #1940
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    You can order one for pickup at the factory and organise shipping yourself.
    Thanks Raffe…. I didn’t notice that. Will do some research into courier collection costs to uk!

    Gary

  41. #1941
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,887
    One of my clients is originally from Napoli and a huge pizza aficionado. I travel regularly to Italy and asked him where the absolute best pizza is. His answer. The best pizza in the world is in Trafalgar Square, London at a restaurant called 50 Kalo!

    I'll have to try it!

  42. #1942
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,960
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    One of my clients is originally from Napoli and a huge pizza aficionado. I travel regularly to Italy and asked him where the absolute best pizza is. His answer. The best pizza in the world is in Trafalgar Square, London at a restaurant called 50 Kalo!

    I'll have to try it!
    B/S

    The best pizza in the UK is made by pitch.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  43. #1943
    Grand Master ryanb741's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,887
    Actually judging by the pics this is probably true
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    B/S

    The best pizza in the UK is made by pitch.

  44. #1944
    Master Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,291
    Blog Entries
    1
    The best pizza I have ever eaten are at Sorbillo in Naples, or DaMichele or Francesco&Salvatore Salvo -all in Naples.

    Another of the Salvo brothers, Ciro Salvo, has two pizzerie called 50 Kalo’ (accent on the O), one in Naples and one in London.

    So I guess the London one must be the best in UK (except Pitch).

  45. #1945
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    In all likelihood, your Ooni is innocent. You need to look at your dough recipe.
    What would you say I need?

    I use very strong white flour, salt, water and dry yeast. 24 hour proofing.

  46. #1946
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,971
    I seem to have lost my pizza mojo recently, had the first pizza of the year last Sunday, the wife’s out tonight so I’ve knocked up a single six hour ball for me for later & out of interest I looked up when I got my Uuni oven, June 2016 so just over six years old & still in service.

    Happy Belated Birthday my little Uuni 2S.

  47. #1947
    Master Pitch3110's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    5,366
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    B/S

    The best pizza in the UK is made by pitch.
    So kind 😊

    Pitch

  48. #1948
    Grand Master Raffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lëtzebuerg
    Posts
    33,960
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    What would you say I need?

    I use very strong white flour, salt, water and dry yeast. 24 hour proofing.
    Download the Pizza+ app and follow the recipe. I recommend a 24 hour proof at room temperature, maybe 62 to 65% hydration to start.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

  49. #1949
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    8,971
    Had a lovely pizza for one for tea



  50. #1950
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Download the Pizza+ app and follow the recipe. I recommend a 24 hour proof at room temperature, maybe 62 to 65% hydration to start.
    I use the pizza app every time! As well as the 24h proof.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information