closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
Results 2,601 to 2,640 of 2640

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    No what's in the bags that looks like frozen chips? Or are they frozen chips!
    Fior di Latte buddy.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Fior di Latte buddy.

Pitch
    Never seen it. Is it just like your normal mozzarella?

Blog Entries
    Here goes buddy.

I like it, it’s NOT grated floured stuff what Tesco et al sells.

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/cheeses/f...napoli-cut-1kg.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Here goes buddy.

I like it, it’s NOT grated floured stuff what Tesco et al sells.

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/cheeses/f...napoli-cut-1kg.

Pitch
    Strangely still coated with potato starch to stop sticking though.

I thought that was always a bad thing as burnt, hence always tear my own from a ball.

Perhaps as it’s thick cut, the surface area compared to Tesco grated stuff is where the difference lies.

Hey, hope you are all well entertained. Here's a white pizza with sausage, chanterelles and spinach.

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Hey, hope you are all well entertained. Here's a white pizza with sausage, chanterelles and spinach.

Welcome back! Nice looking pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

Hurrah! He is risen. So has the pizza!

LIDL are selling these Ariete Electric Pizza Ovens for £80. No direct experience, but online reviews suggest they're OK. 12" and claimed 4000C

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/ariete-elec...oven/p10011054

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    LIDL are selling these Ariete Electric Pizza Ovens for £80. No direct experience, but online reviews suggest they're OK. 12" and claimed 4000C

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/ariete-elec...oven/p10011054
    4000 C would incinerate a pizza in a second.

I assume you meant 400C?

Shows 400 degrees science to me.

Master
    400C won't be suitable for Neapolitan pizza, but would be fine for NY style and a few others

Master
    If it maxes out at 400 then you're running at max all the time but plenty of places quote 400c for Neapolitan. Gosney seem to want another 20c or so ideally so it depends how accurate it is. 375 then no but if it will creep up a bit then it could be ok for those winter pizzas.

Master
    The Sage Pizzaiolo tops out at a claimed 400° and that can certainly make a decent neopolitan.
    At £80 it’s got to be worth a punt.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tried rice flour tonight. First pizza it was like Teflon. Second pizza I used less rice flour but it stuck a little and ended up loosing a piece of mozzarella in the oven.
    Used less on the second one as the flour seemed to spark and set alight.

Master
    I’ve tried rice flour and didn’t get on with it for what sounds like similar reasons.
    I’ll be sticking with semolina. Fortunately we all like that slightly gritty texture it adds.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    I’ve tried rice flour and didn’t get on with it for what sounds like similar reasons.
    I’ll be sticking with semolina. Fortunately we all like that slightly gritty texture it adds.
    Yes I like what semolina adds to the pizza. Next time I'll stick with that and just put the rice flour on the peel. See how that works.

Craftsman
    Just bought a Pizza Oven a couple of weeks back. Hoping to use it at the weekend.

If I don't have a disaster I'll post up some pics of the results.

Sent from my SM-A137F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    Just bought a Pizza Oven a couple of weeks back. Hoping to use it at the weekend.

If I don't have a disaster I'll post up some pics of the results.

Don't beat yourself up if it doesn't go to plan, my first time didn't go well at all.

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Thats a lovely set up and I hope all goes well but be prepared............. I'm nearly 10 years in and still learning from my disasters.....

Pitch

I am dipping my toe in what may prove a dangerous slope.

I ordered 1kg of pizza sourdough from "my" baker. He will make it on Friday and I'll get it on Saturday, in time for an afternoon feast in the egg with a few friends.

As you can see (the egg) it is not going to be a walk in the park.

If one of the regular participants to this thread could summarise the pitfalls I might want to watch out for and a recommended list of ingredients, I would appreciate (I have followed the thread but it's now 50+ pages long...)

TIA
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post

I ordered 1kg of pizza sourdough from "my" baker. He will make it on Friday and I'll get it on Saturday, in time for an afternoon feast in the egg with a few friends.

If one of the regular participants to this thread could summarise the pitfalls I might want to watch out for and a recommended list of ingredients, I would appreciate (I have followed the thread but it's now 50+ pages long...)

TIA
    No photo of the egg?

It is a long while since I used my egg for pizza, but I wasn’t doing the blisteringly quick Neapolitan style, bit thicker and slower.

Hardest part with the egg is you can’t see how it’s cooking without peeking and losing the heat.

From memory I used the BGE time & temp from their recipe page. Best of luck with it.

As you’re not launching quite the same, or turning, many pitfalls are avoided! I found the pizza trays / screens easiest as can just place them on the stone.

Think place setter was feet down, to get the pizza higher into the dome.

TIA
    I cook pizza pretty regularly on the egg.

My method is pretty simple but always seems to work well.

Light egg and leave open for 15 mins until charcoal well lit with flames appearing.

Put in pizza stone close lid and open all vents to max.

Waiting until temp builds to 575F-600F (takes about 30 mins on my XL egg). I find 30 mins is required to get the pizza stone hot so if yours gets to temp quicker, leave for 30 mins.

Burp the egg and put in the pizza.

After 2 mins lift the lid and spin the pizza around 180 degrees. It should move freely on the pizza stone. Close lid.

The pizza will be done after a further 4-6 minutes. I check mine by looking down on it through the top open vent.

I also do Naan bread using a similar method.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I cook pizza pretty regularly on the egg.

My method is pretty simple but always seems to work well.

Light egg and leave open for 15 mins until charcoal well lit with flames appearing.

Put in pizza stone close lid and open all vents to max.

Waiting until temp builds to 575F-600F (takes about 30 mins on my XL egg). I find 30 mins is required to get the pizza stone hot so if yours gets to temp quicker, leave for 30 mins.

Burp the egg and put in the pizza.

After 2 mins lift the lid and spin the pizza around 180 degrees. It should move freely on the pizza stone. Close lid.

The pizza will be done after a further 4-6 minutes. I check mine by looking down on it through the top open vent.

I also do Naan bread using a similar method.

Good luck!

Very good tips, thank you!

Very good tips, thank you!
    No problem! I forgot to say I set up the egg like this:

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Mine is the cheap Aldi one, so the ceramic will simply be put on the grill

Edit, actually I am not sure it will be the above set up, or if I remove the grill support (which houses the cradle for the ceramic for indirect heat) and lower the grill so it rests on the coal basket (also ceramic). Advantage would be pizza plate would be closer to the ambers so slightly hotter; down side would be access for the pizza shovel as it would be lower than the egg’s edge.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 17th March 2024 at 14:14.

Made my first Detroit style pizza tonight.

Half and half meat so the kids can enjoy too (although they rejected it as it doesn’t look like normal pizza )

Before:

During:

And after:

Very happy with the result; light & fluffy base with crispy cheese round the edge (or “frico” according to Ooni!)

Probably could have done with 1 or 2 mins less to make the cheese less crispy and slightly less pizza sauce, but I’d say 90% of the way there on the first try so happy with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Don't beat yourself up if it doesn't go to plan, my first time didn't go well at all.

Good luck!
    It wasn't as horrendous as I expected. My first (didn't take a pic) was a little bit of a disaster as the base tore apart as I slid it into the oven. I think I'd stretched it a little to much.

My next attempt (pic 1) was better but my son got stuck right into it before I could get my phone out so its half eaten on the photo.

Next attempt was my wife's. Looks OK but more of a deep pan as the dough could have been a little thinner.

Not too disappointed though and optimistic for the next attempts.

It wasn't as horrendous as I expected. My first (didn't take a pic) was a little bit of a disaster as the base tore apart as I slid it into the oven. I think I'd stretched it a little to much.

My next attempt (pic 1) was better but my son got stuck right into it before I could get my phone out so its half eaten on the photo.

Next attempt was my wife's. Looks OK but more of a deep pan as the dough could have been a little thinner.

Great results. I think the first one going wrong is a default rites of passage things

As long as it gets eaten, then your going well

Master

They look fantastic vs my first attempt, well done! I tore my base & launched all the molten cheese onto the stone that needed cooking off. I’ve just eaten a large meal out & still look at those fancying a slice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My cheat sheet for good pizza, for those who don’t have the time or energy to complete from scratch.

I buy large naan breads from my local Middle Eastern store. They are the real deal and baked in Southall. It is just good quality unleavened bread containing just oil, flour and yeast.

Brush the bread both sides with water and top with pizza sauce and a ball of fresh mozzarella.

Takes 2 mins and knocks the socks off any supermarket pizza.

Not as good as those on this thread but much better than 2 mins preparation time deserves.

I put another pic up in a few mins after cooking. This will probably upset many.

Couple of finished pizzas and the piece de resistance, a piece of Warburtons Toastie covered in butter and garlic (my kids love it).

Sorry for upsetting the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    My cheat sheet for good pizza, for those who don’t have the time or energy to complete from scratch.

I buy large naan breads from my local Middle Eastern store. They are the real deal and baked in Southall. It is just good quality unleavened bread containing just oil, flour and yeast.

Brush the bread both sides with water and top with pizza sauce and a ball of fresh mozzarella.

Takes 2 mins and knocks the socks off any supermarket pizza.

Not as good as those on this thread but much better than 2 mins preparation time deserves.

I put another pic up in a few mins after cooking. This will probably upset many.

Sorry but how is it “unleavened” if it contains yeast?

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post

Good point. It has some leaven, but not much.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post

Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Good point. It has some leaven, but not much.
    It is one or the other, otherwise it is like semi-vegetarian with just a bit of meat added.

Last edited by Mj2k; 22nd March 2024 at 21:59.

Indeed.

It is one or the other, otherwise it is like semi-vegetarian with just a bit of meat added.
    Lol

Master
    Lol
    This was the one thread he didn’t seem to be in, trying to trigger reaction. Poor kids if that is pizza and garlic warburtons, borders on child abuse as a Friday treat!

As for not being better than a supermarket pizza, I’m 100% behind a Crosta & Mollica destroying that pizza or any from a supermarket. Probably Pizza Express too tbh, but I’m feeding the troll myself now.

Master
    Half tempted to try that naan pizza one day.
    Obviously not one for the purists. If there was ever one post that may tempt Raffe to come out of retirement that could be it haha!

It’s only fair that I report after the event
    If we set aside a poor pizzaiolo when it came to making an acceptable dough base, it was a reasonable first attempt.

The last one is a flamekueche, the Alsatian version of the pizza where the passata is replaced by a mix of crème fraîche and fromage blanc, with added onions, leeks and lardons.
    I used an inkbird fan controller (ISC-027BW) to keep the temperature high enough after opening the lid to load/unload the pizza.
    The crust was nice underneath, but while cooked on top it didn’t benefit from the flames that add this little flavour to a «*proper*» pizza.

So plenty of room for improvement but I may need to have a kindling container next to the pizza next time.

Master
    Look good SJ, you were lucky with the probe and those direct flames, they don’t mix well together, I always bring my cables out over the leg of the plate setter.

Regarding the not being coloured on top, I had similar in my early days with the Weber & only just remembered a technique to try next time.

When you put a pizza on, get some glowing red charcoal from the egg & place it on the grill next to the stone in a couple of places, get some extra heat up there. Ideally if you had the egg-spander kit, you could put the charcoal on top of the pizza on the upper grill to replicate the heat from above.

Look good SJ, you were lucky with the probe and those direct flames, they don’t mix well together, I always bring my cables out over the leg of the plate setter.

Regarding the not being coloured on top, I had similar in my early days with the Weber & only just remembered a technique to try next time.

When you put a pizza on, get some glowing red charcoal from the egg & place it on the grill next to the stone in a couple of places, get some extra heat up there. Ideally if you had the egg-spander kit, you could put the charcoal on top of the pizza on the upper grill to replicate the heat from above.
    That’s a couple of egg-cellent tips there, thank you. I have a half moon stainless steel basket that I was thinking of using but the second grill is a better idea.