closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    For those who have out grown there oonis and rocboxs could this be the next step?

https://www.costco.co.uk/Barbecues-S...over/p/181430#
    You better have plenty of time and wood:

can heat up to approximately 100 degrees every 15 minutes
    Makes at least 75 minutes until you have 500° C inside.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    You better have plenty of time and wood:

Makes at least 75 minutes until you have 500° C inside.
    That is so bad, I am not even going to bother reading further.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    josep has one of those: -
    Mine is basically the same, but a slightly larger version.

Gets up to temperature in about an hour (about the same time that you can knock up a quick batch of dough), and retains heat quite well for slower cooking, although not half as good as stone ovens or Kamado grills etc for that.

This is where I got mine a few years ago. Warning - this site may lose you a lot of money!

https://www.creativeoutdoorliving.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post

This is where I got mine a few years ago. Warning - this site may lose you a lot of money!

No no no no, just stop it. This thread and website in general has cost me so much money over the years and this is not helping

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Mine is basically the same, but a slightly larger version.

Gets up to temperature in about an hour (about the same time that you can knock up a quick batch of dough), and retains heat quite well for slower cooking, although not half as good as stone ovens or Kamado grills etc for that.

https://www.creativeoutdoorliving.co..._wood_bbq.html

Wow, that’s a lot...am sure harnessing the calorific value of the embers is great...might pay back with your grandchildren & that’s as an egg owner lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there any particular brand of OO type flour you all use? I've been using McDougalls OO (only one I could find in tesco) but I've just been reading up on protein content of flour and it seems it could make a difference to your dough regards fermenting and workability.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Is there any particular brand of OO type flour you all use? I've been using McDougalls OO (only one I could find in tesco) but I've just been reading up on protein content of flour and it seems it could make a difference to your dough regards fermenting and workability.
    Aim for high proteine (>10%).

If you can get it: http://www.mulinocaputo.it/en/flour/...ucina/classica

I think Ooni just cut some prices (not sure how UK prices were, but Ooni website prices are below Amazon in Germany now).

Koda is £244.95 and Pro is £499 now. Also the gas burners are down, if anybody has been sitting on the fence?

Master
    I think Ooni just cut some prices (not sure how UK prices were, but Ooni website prices are below Amazon in Germany now).

Koda is £244.95 and Pro is £499 now. Also the gas burners are down, if anybody has been sitting on the fence?
    Same price as it has been the last few weeks @ £244.99, still waiting for the announcement & if not will be buying a bundle deal with the gloves. large handled peel & cover for £25 more, seems good value. I'm hoping for a larger Koda, but know its going to be wood related.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Same price as it has been the last few weeks @ £244.99, still waiting for the announcement & if not will be buying a bundle deal with the gloves. large handled peel & cover for £25 more, seems good value. I'm hoping for a larger Koda, but know its going to be wood related.
    Okay, wasnt sure of UK prices. Euro prices are down, probably makes sense to keep UK prices unchanged due to the weakness of the pound.

Craftsman
    I’m guessing a stone/ceramic oven similar to what Gozney have brought out.

Craftsman

Master
    Hmmm anything with a chimney is not for me & my cover/awning; at least I know I can go for the Koda!

Hmmm anything with a chimney is not for me & my cover/awning; at least I know I can go for the Koda!
    This is being recommended on the Ooni Enthusiasts UK Facebook group:

Master
    Did you go for it?
    Where did you see this bundle deal?

I am very tempted to go for the koda. Garden just completed so contemplating a pizza oven or a bbq. Thinking is perhaps can make broader use of a bbq including using for some form of pizza.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Did you go for it?
    Where did you see this bundle deal?

I am very tempted to go for the koda. Garden just completed so contemplating a pizza oven or a bbq. Thinking is perhaps can make broader use of a bbq including using for some form of pizza.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    Will try and dig the link out again, thought it was in my favourites but appears to have vanished.

I’ve not purchased yet, waiting until I have employment again! I’d probably start with the bbq if I were you, much more versatile.

BGE isn’t cheap but does allow everything from low n slow, grilling, baking & pizzas. Very versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    This is being recommended on the Ooni Enthusiasts UK Facebook group:

Cheers Ralf, has seen those.

My challenge is the 500C heat coming out the top of any chimney so close to the woven nylon awning.

There's the patch from low & slow / the odd pizza that's already ruined the waterproofing, so assuming a chimney being closer would make it far worse.

Always a fear on the BGE is not burping it when running hot, creating a flashback that sears me on the way up, then melts the awning & sears me on the way back down!

Cheers Ralf, has seen those.

My challenge is the 500C heat coming out the top of any chimney so close to the woven nylon awning.

There's the patch from low & slow / the odd pizza that's already ruined the waterproofing, so assuming a chimney being closer would make it far worse.

Always a fear on the BGE is not burping it when running hot, creating a flashback that sears me on the way up, then melts the awning & sears me on the way back down!
    Just use gas, chimney is closed (or Koda, which doesn't even have one). No difference in taste anyway.

Master
    Just use gas, chimney is closed (or Koda, which doesn't even have one). No difference in taste anyway.
    All roads seem to point to Koda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Ooni 3 with a gas attachment- you can blank off the chimney

Master
    May be a bit of a cop out, but since getting the gas extension for our uuni 3 its made making pizzas so much easier and fun. Okay there's a slight difference in taste but not that much.

My main criteria is always trying to perfect the sauce - easier said than done. Last weekend I tried a new one I kind of made up on the spot. I took a couple of sweet peppers, loads of vine ripened tomatoes, a red onion and a garlic bulb, covered in salt and pepper and some olive oil and roasted them all in the oven until they started to blacken a bit. Then deseeded the peppers and really blitzed them and the onion, then put the tomatoes and garlic in a just blitzed them a few short times to leave a little bit of texture to the sauce. Put in in the fridge for 24 hours. My wife said it was by far the tastiest sauce and pizza we've ever had and for the first time I only put cheese on as a topping. Didn't need anything else.

This thread is very light on pictures of the finished product.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Still working on my pizza skills, and also a bit tricky to take pictures during the process as one usual has all hands full (and full of flour).

But here are pictures of a recent test cook:

Master
    I’ve just bought a 3 so I’ll sell my S2 - can’t wait to get cooking on it

Master

The Pizza Thread.... show off...

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I’ve just bought a 3 so I’ll sell my S2 - can’t wait to get cooking on it
    I’m not sure there’s much difference between the 2 and 3 apart from the hopper. May be wrong, if I upgrade from the 2 it’ll likely be a pro. But then I may as well go for a real brick oven!

Update, actually on looking it does look as though the 3 is better.
    Last edited by Rodder; 29th August 2019 at 18:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I’m not sure there’s much difference between the 2 and 3 apart from the hopper. May be wrong, if I upgrade from the 2 it’ll likely be a pro. But then I may as well go for a real brick oven!
    Hum well I’ve still the receipt maybe I’ll return it- I’m going gas anyway

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Hum well I’ve still the receipt maybe I’ll return it- I’m going gas anyway
    Good call, if just wonder if the limiting factor is the size, I notice you get the gas attachment which might be a game changer

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Good call, if just wonder if the limiting factor is the size, I notice you get the gas attachment which might be a game changer
    I’ve got the gas attachment (unopened) I think I just liked the look of the 3
    My 2 has the bigger hopper fitted

Master
    Still working on my pizza skills, and also a bit tricky to take pictures during the process as one usual has all hands full (and full of flour).

But here are pictures of a recent test cook:

Crusts looking good, who’s recipe?

Crudo after cooking, spot on...but mushrooms...dirty git! I despise the buggers, it’s probably the only food / flavour / texture that I just cannot get on with!

Crusts looking good, who’s recipe?

Crudo after cooking, spot on...but mushrooms...dirty git! I despise the buggers, it’s probably the only food / flavour / texture that I just cannot get on with!

It's done with Caputo Rosso, 63% hydration, 3% salt, 72h cold proving, 8h room temperature.

I am still experimenting, currently have a batch of dough proving which will be room temp only.

Master
    It's done with Caputo Rosso, 63% hydration, 3% salt, 72h cold proving, 8h room temperature.

I am still experimenting, currently have a batch of dough proving which will be room temp only.
    Oil or no oil?

Have you tried both?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Oil or no oil?

Have you tried both?
    Never anything but flour, water, yeast and salt.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ooni-...9022232549775/

Master
    Ok I’ve got my 2 girls around today/ tonight for pizza need some easy dough
    I think I have all the ingredients- just something simple
    Can anyone advise please

Craftsman
    I always have a dough in the fridge ready for quick easy pizza. 500g strong flour, 7 grams yeast, 10g salt 320ml water. Knead or mix in food mixer for 12 minutes and let prove for an hour. Knock back and divide into your individual pizza size. Bit of oil in individual bags and refrigerate. Take out an hour before and stretch by hand but make sure you have enough time to let the dough rest before stretching too much.

Hope it goes well

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    I always have a dough in the fridge ready for quick easy pizza. 500g strong flour, 7 grams yeast, 10g salt 320ml water. Knead or mix in food mixer for 12 minutes and let prove for an hour. Knock back and divide into your individual pizza size. Bit of oil in individual bags and refrigerate. Take out an hour before and stretch by hand but make sure you have enough time to let the dough rest before stretching too much.

Hope it goes well
    And how long does the dough last in the fridge?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    And how long does the dough last in the fridge?
    I keep it up to a week

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    This thread is very light on pictures of the finished product.

Eddie
    Too busy scoffing skipper......

Cheers and GWS

Pitch

Tonights efforts. Cold proofed for 24 hours and then 4 hours room temp. Dough was the best to work with so dar, used Caputo classica flour.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Looks amazing Stu.

Well guys as another summer draws to a close I'm bloody impressed with everything I have seen on here this year, well done chaps.

Me.......oven has done well and over the Winter I am planning on a redesign of the cooking area outside and maybe a new oven as well.

Keep up the good work

Pitch

Over the weekend I was the very lucky recipient of an Ooni 3! Had an initial play using some Just-Rol sourdough, which through a combination of piss poor technique on my part and it being a bit reluctant to stretch meant smaller pizzas and thicker bases than I would ideally like and also resulted in the first one getting a bit lost inside the oven as I alunced it too far back and couldn't retrieve it with the handleless Ooni paddle without setting fire to my fingers! However, initial teething issues aside, the next few were really very tasy indeed and already better than anything I've bought from a supermarket, so happy days!.

Regards the Ooni 3 (for anyone thinking of taking the plunge), it really feels like a great bit of kit. Easy to light even using pellets, get's up to temp in 10 minutes or less and a quick scoop of pellets between pizzas to get the temp back up makes it pretty easy to keep it burning nicely. Only issue I had is the stone arrived cracked in half, but Ooni have already put another n the post, so great customer service too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Looks amazing Stu.

Well guys as another summer draws to a close I'm bloody impressed with everything I have seen on here this year, well done chaps.

Me.......oven has done well and over the Winter I am planning on a redesign of the cooking area outside and maybe a new oven as well.

Keep up the good work

Pitch
    Ta. Biggest issue now, apart from not being able to make them anywhere close to round is finding a good tomato base. The last one was very watery made the bases a bit soggy. I'm definitely going to try to keep using the Ooni 3 for as long as I can throughout the year as I set it up in the garage (using a black and decker workmate) but I'd love to have a proper outdoor kitchen. Be interesting to see how you re-do yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Over the weekend I was the very lucky recipient of an Ooni 3! Had an initial play using some Just-Rol sourdough, which through a combination of piss poor technique on my part and it being a bit reluctant to stretch meant smaller pizzas and thicker bases than I would ideally like and also resulted in the first one getting a bit lost inside the oven as I alunced it too far back and couldn't retrieve it with the handleless Ooni paddle without setting fire to my fingers! However, initial teething issues aside, the next few were really very tasy indeed and already better than anything I've bought from a supermarket, so happy days!.

Regards the Ooni 3 (for anyone thinking of taking the plunge), it really feels like a great bit of kit. Easy to light even using pellets, get's up to temp in 10 minutes or less and a quick scoop of pellets between pizzas to get the temp back up makes it pretty easy to keep it burning nicely. Only issue I had is the stone arrived cracked in half, but Ooni have already put another n the post, so great customer service too.
    It is a great bit of kit. The pizza app is very useful and so is a wooden peel for launching with semolina flour on it. The first few I did ended up getting folded over in the oven when launching so my stone is a right blackened mess from the burnt on toppings, lol.

It is a great bit of kit. The pizza app is very useful and so is a wooden peel for launching with semolina flour on it. The first few I did ended up getting folded over in the oven when launching so my stone is a right blackened mess from the burnt on toppings, lol.
    Yeah, my first one folded and got stuck at the back near the flame guard. My stone is equally blackened, but I've been using the broken stone whilst I wait for the replacement, so am not that bothered! The broken stone does make geting the peel under the pizza tricky though!

Have ordered a wooden one from Amazon, along with some flour as the just-rol dough is pretty good, but really want to try making my own to see how that comes out.

Blog Entries
    Tonights efforts. Cold proofed for 24 hours and then 4 hours room temp. Dough was the best to work with so dar, used Caputo classica flour.

Very nice dough, the first one also very classical and I bet super tasty

I made one with gluten free flour not so long ago for an allergic family member. It didn't go very well, and one have any experience here?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bdkelly72 View Post
    I made one with gluten free flour not so long ago for an allergic family member. It didn't go very well, and one have any experience here?

There were some pictures on the Ooni Facebook group earlier today, they looked ... well ... challenging.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Very nice dough, the first one also very classical and I bet super tasty
    Thanks, it was pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by bdkelly72 View Post

I'm interested in this as well

I'm interested in this as well

Master
    I have an Ooni (now a 3)
    I bought a sheet of 3mm ply and have made a few peels- ill post a pic up later
    Ideal for individuals to build their own pizzas on - I then have a round ss cake lifter that I find ideal to spin and remove the pizza from the oven