closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Light watches help in hot weather.

Master

Light watches help in hot weather.

So, maybe this:

Rather than this:

For me, the lighter the better. Mind you, to get decent water resistance, you usually add a little bulk; or stay out of the water.
    Come to think of it, money taken out of the equation, this light, slim watch is perfect. Good water resistance too (120 metres)
    Pity I sold mine. Rarely had the nerve to wear it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 7th May 2018 at 15:54.

I find it's more down to the strap/bracelet than the watch itself. NATOs I find far more suitable for the heat than bracelets (hence my shift from Sub Oyster to SKX007 NATO).

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I find it's more down to the strap/bracelet than the watch itself. NATOs I find far more suitable for the heat than bracelets (hence my shift from Sub Oyster to SKX007 NATO).
    Totally agree. The weight of the watch doesn't bother me, it's when the bracelet starts to get to tight.
    Last edited by PhilipJI; 7th May 2018 at 16:14.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJI View Post
    Totally agree. The weight of the watch doesn't bother me, it's when the bracelet starts to to tight.
    Agree also.

I’m genuinely amazed that not all expensive bracelet watches have on-the-fly adjustments like the Easylink or Glidelock Rolex clasps. Not even every Rolex has them yet.

I’m also amazed that it took until the mid-2000s for them to come around (I believe that’s when Rolex introduced them). I suppose there did use to be the expansion bracelets in the 60s, did they get canned because of fragility/pulling hairs? An Easylink is not difficult to engineer, being essentially a shortened diver’s extension, and it’s not as if the weather has only just started changing.

I am in disbelief that luxury watch makers sell bracelets with neither pin-hole clasp adjustments, or Easylink type ones - requiring whole links to be taken out or added for comfort. This is not something the average customer will do at home, so surely means that they’ll actually have to go to a boutique or watchmaker depending on the weather. Grand Seikos, Patek Philippes etc all have more attention put into the finishing of internal components than basic comfort, and cost thousands or tens of thousands of pounds.

Perhaps it’s just that my wrist is more variable than those of most others, but it really is a mystery as to why it’s not more of a problem.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Agree also.

I’m genuinely amazed that not all expensive bracelet watches have on-the-fly adjustments like the Easylink or Glidelock Rolex clasps. Not even every Rolex has them yet.

I’m also amazed that it took until the mid-2000s for them to come around (I believe that’s when Rolex introduced them). I suppose there did use to be the expansion bracelets in the 60s, did they get canned because of fragility/pulling hairs? An Easylink is not difficult to engineer, being essentially a shortened diver’s extension, and it’s not as if the weather has only just started changing.

I am in disbelief that luxury watch makers sell bracelets with neither pin-hole clasp adjustments, or Easylink type ones - requiring whole links to be taken out or added for comfort. This is not something the average customer will do at home, so surely means that they’ll actually have to go to a boutique or watchmaker depending on the weather. Grand Seikos, Patek Philippes etc all have more attention put into the finishing of internal components than basic comfort, and cost thousands or tens of thousands of pounds.

Perhaps it’s just that my wrist is more variable than those of most others, but it really is a mystery as to why it’s not more of a problem.
    It's my one criticism of my Grand Seiko. My wrist is very variable too, just had to take it of as it was feeling to tight in today's weather.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJI View Post
    It's my one criticism of my Grand Seiko. My wrist is very variable too, just had to take it of as it was feeling to tight in today's weather.
    It’s a pet peeve I’ll admit, but how is it that the same company which spent decades making Spring Drive work, can’t be bothered to a watch that can be worn in comfort year-round (or even day-round if you go from a cold A/C’ed office to a hot Underground)?!

I can only believe that most people’s wrists change minimally, as otherwise it would be the problem I think it is.

I prefer many aspects of bracelets to straps, but I won’t wear a metal bracelet that doesn’t have some sort of on-the-go adjustability.
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 7th May 2018 at 16:38.

Master
    I tend to prefer leather, on a buckle, easy to adjust and light. Maybe not as hygienic, but comfortable. NATO, even better. A Rolex adjustable bracelet is clever, and quite comfortable, but something like a 43mm SD still feels better suited to colder , rainier, days. I want something that seems almost not there.
    I've always preferred Grand Seiko on leather. Especially their titanium models.

Journeyman
    It’s a pet peeve I’ll admit, but how is it that the same company which spent decades making Sprig Drive work, can’t be bothered to a watch that can be worn in comfort year-round (or even day-round if you go from a cold A/C’ed office to a hot Underground)?!

I can only believe that most people’s wrists change minimally, as otherwise it would be the problem I think it is.

I prefer many aspects of bracelets to straps, but I won’t wear a metal bracelet that doesn’t have some sort of on-the-go adjustability.
    With my Omega Seamaster I had it changed to a silicone strap, because I didn't find the bracelet comfortable. With my Tudor BB 36 I had it on the NATO at first but now it's on a strap. The bracelet has never been used, I just think for comfort I prefer straps. My Grand Seiko quartz is still on the bracelet and I won't change that because I might move that on along with my Tudor to get another Grand Seikio .

Right, because nothing says "summer" like a fancy crocodile strap in black.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    So, maybe this:

Rather than this:

For me, the lighter the better. Mind you, to get decent water resistance, you usually add a little bulk; or stay out of the water.
    Come to think of it, money taken out of the equation, this light, slim watch is perfect. Good water resistance too (120 metres)
    Pity I sold mine. Rarely had the nerve to wear it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I’m wearing a Garmin Vivoactive 3...super light 😵👍🏻

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Have to agree.
    Better a stainless adjustable bracelet on a heavier watch than a lighter one with a sweat collecting croc strap.

Craftsman
    I always prefer a slightly loose steel bracelet in hot weather. I have a SubC ND but I very rarely use the Glidelock.

However for beach use nothing beats a rubber strap. I wouldn't put a steel bracelet near sand.

"Luckily" hot weather like this weekend is pretty rare in London ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Have to agree.
    Better a stainless adjustable bracelet on a heavier watch than a lighter one with a sweat collecting croc strap.
    Nah, it's much more seasonally-appropriate to wear a swish exotic hide that doesn't tolerate moisture, let alone actual water. ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    "Luckily" hot weather like this weekend is pretty rare in London ;-)
    It's disgusting.
    (Steel bracelet here until the intolerable sauna sods off.)

GGB's NATO's plus velcro are a good solution to the variable-fit issue.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

I've been wearing my Polerouter on an expanding metal bracelet.

The bracelet is vintage and is a real work of engineering. When the outer links are closed the inner links still have a gap between them to stop hairs getting trapped.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Right, because nothing says "summer" like a fancy crocodile strap in black.
    But it's really comfortable....and that's my point. I'm less interested in theory than the actual experience of using a watch in hot weather. For me, a good strap is preferable to a good bracelet. If others prefer a band of steel , that's fine. We choose what suits us.

Straps are fine, but I personally wouldn't choose a dressy indoor one for hot weather.

Others may feel differently.

About the only style of watch that I wouldn’t wear when outside on a hot day is a dress watch with a leather strap. I would prefer to wearing a watch on a bracelet, NATO or GGB that is happy to be rinsed under a tap at the end of the day.

Although I will happily wear a light dress watch on leather, once it has cooled down in the evening.

Light, thin and with really nice distribution of the weight. Both straps work perfectly in hot weather.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Master
    Best solution I have so far is to go Abit lighter, a bit smaller and on a perlon.

Breitling Aerospace.

Supremely comfortable.

Daytona utilising the Easylink, job done.

Craftsman
    Actually I just did some real life testing just for this thread. After wearing the SubC ND the whole day under the sun, I went to the gym late afternoon with my Casio Riseman. This is by far my most comfortable watch in heavy heat where I sweat a lot. It is lite, the rubber strap is large but has holes on both sides, and it sits very well on the wrist. I am not sure why Casio discontinued it, this is one of the best G-Shocks.

Perlon for the win in hot weather.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I can't wear a bracelet without on-the-fly adjustment. That's why I converted both my smpc and Speedie to having the latest PO micro adjust clasp.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelgecko View Post
    I can't wear a bracelet without on-the-fly adjustment. That's why I converted both my smpc and Speedie to having the latest PO micro adjust clasp.
    Same here, but Omega Westfield would not sell me one as it was not original to the watch (2007!SMP GMT). Omega Regent Street had no such qualms, happily.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Same here, but Omega Westfield would not sell me one as it was not original to the watch (2007!SMP GMT). Omega Regent Street had no such qualms, happily.
    That kind of rubbish customer service probably helps explain why the Westfield boutique closed down (that and the terrible location both specifically and generally).

I bought mine from the REX boutique, and simply said that I would fit myself. SMPc was easy, Speedie required a few extra bits (also supplied) but was done in 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Perlon for the win in hot weather.
    Agree with this, especially if you want something for work, when a NATO would be too casual. Plus the infinite adjustability for a perfect fit.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

In theory a perlon is good for me but the buckle seems cheaper and digs in my wrist more than other straps

Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    In theory a perlon is good for me but the buckle seems cheaper and digs in my wrist more than other straps
    I think it depends on brand and era. There’s a comparison of vintage and modern Eulit Perlons here:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...oto-Comparison
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I think it depends on brand and era. There’s a comparison of vintage and modern Eulit Perlons here:
    I find generic Perlons to be cheap, unsatisfactory straps that do the job, but don’t look or feel fitting when paired with a nice watch. (They can be very inexpensive straps to be fair.)

Proper Eulit ones, specifically the Palma models with their thicker weave and high-quality material and claps, to be really comfortable straps. They look great too.

I got mine from here; I find they have a wider selection of Eulit Perlons (both of Type and of width) than many.

https://watchbandit.com/products/wat...-bands/page/2/

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Thanks for the info will peruse @ home.

Master
    Agree also.

I agree that it’s frustrating, but it seems like a tough engineering problem to crack. Either you have an appealingly seamless bracelet but no way to adjust it, or you have to interrupt the flow of the bracelet with a clasp, as Rolex have always done. Each approach has its advantages but you can’t have both. However double butterfly clasps seem to work better with changing temperature as the clasp doesn’t get pulled round to the side as your wrist expands, and they also balance better on the wrist when slightly loose in cold weather, so it’s usually possible to find a fit that works well enough all year round. I treat the few days that it’s really too hot as a chance to wear something on a strap for a change.

I would also like to see some advances in this though. Arguably the perfect watch has to have a very simple system for adjustment, and it’s hard to beat Rolex here, like it or not! I believe that the previous generation of IWC Ingeniurs had a good system, though I can’t recall how it worked.

Warm and humid where I am today, in these conditions I’m a big fan of the micro-adjustable strap that came with the Scramble.

Alternatively I tend to go for a watch with a titanium bracelet or a Perlon.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    A little Ti for me yesterday

Light weight and cool

Warm weather and leather are a no no for me - as I dislike sweaty leather. Nato or Velcro straps can work well, but need regularly washing/changing - but steel, Ti, or rubber work best imo.
    It's just a matter of time...

Smaller watches on steel work best for me in the heat. The Black Bay 36 and Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36 are both ideal. Reasonably slim, compact, robust, very comfortable bracelets and good water resistance should you fall in the pool or splash in the sea.

I find generic Perlons to be cheap, unsatisfactory straps that do the job, but don’t look or feel fitting when paired with a nice watch. (They can be very inexpensive straps to be fair.)

Proper Eulit ones, specifically the Palma models with their thicker weave and high-quality material and claps, to be really comfortable straps. They look great too.

I got mine from here; I find they have a wider selection of Eulit Perlons (both of Type and of width) than many.

https://watchbandit.com/products/wat...-bands/page/2/
    My findings have been the opposite - ~£2 ones being far softer, more pliable and feel like cloth and thus more comfortable than my (admittedly, only one) Eulit Perlon which is much firmer and feels far more plastic. So I'm trying out the Eulit on my Sub today, and shall see how it goes (it is rather cooler today though!).

Journeyman
    Interesting point. I find my AP can be a real pain to get right as you can only as a link. My Rolex is far easier to handle.