closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko Quartz

Grand Seiko Quartz

Hi,

So i have for a while lusted over the Snowflake, but increasing prices and a general halt on expensive watch spending has kabooshed that idea.

i do like the gs quartz models and in particular the white dial (sbgx059/259)

i just wondered if anyone here had owned those particular model and what they thought of the dial.
    it seems quite hard to photo - does it live upto the other options in the quartz 38mm range?

i assume sellers like higachi would ship to the uk as he would seem to be the best bet if i wanted to pick up a new one ?

Cheers

matt

Can’t comment on the SBGX?59, but I would say that my experience of quartz GS generally - and my SBGX009 specifically - is that they are far far nicer in the metal than a photo will express; largely due to the play of light against the multifaceted and polished case, indices and hands as the watch is moved.

I think your best proxy is to look for video footage rather than pics; you best bet is to look at one in person.

The ?59 does seem very nice - best of luck with the search.

Grand Seiko Quartz

I had one and it was a great watch. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get over the fact that it was a Quartz Seiko costing over a grand and so sold it.

Wish I hadn’t!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 7th May 2018 at 07:39.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Hi,

So i have for a while lusted over the Snowflake, but increasing prices and a general halt on expensive watch spending has kabooshed that idea.

i do like the gs quartz models and in particular the white dial (sbgx059/259)

i just wondered if anyone here had owned those particular model and what they thought of the dial.
    it seems quite hard to photo - does it live upto the other options in the quartz 38mm range?

i assume sellers like higachi would ship to the uk as he would seem to be the best bet if i wanted to pick up a new one ?

Cheers

matt

Journeyman
    I can't comment on that particular model, but I do know the dial on the GS quartz i have outshines the Omega and Tudor watches I have. From what I've seen all GS watches be it mechanical or quartz have a high quality finish.

I can tell you that the Grand Seiko SBGV011 was by far the nicest quartz I’ve ever owned and has the best quartz movement you can get. Quartz is a Seiko speciality and if it’s in a Grand Seiko it will tend to be fantastic l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I miss mine, I traded it as I worried about scratching its polished bezel etc, what was I thinking? It was a lot cheaper to buy back then as well

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I miss mine, I traded it as I worried about scratching its polished bezel etc, what was I thinking? It was a lot cheaper to buy back then as well

It looks gorgeous in this shot.

Can't comment on the white faced variant, but I bought a SBGX061 a few months ago. On arrival, it was on a leather strap and seemed just too small for me. I was gutted... then I fitted the bracelet and it is just PERFECT for a 7" wrist. The super smooth sides are so comfortable. The height is slim enough to never get in the way of a cuff. Finishing is of a very high standard indeed - certainly as good or better than on my Omega SMP for comparison. Timekeeping is close to perfection. It really is the one watch that could make the rest of my collection redundant.

That’s just as nice as the white face one. Starting to temp me for the next purchase!

Master
    I've enjoyed several GS quartz models, my nephew loves the one I gave him. He just adores it. But I think GS now need to raise their game, because they can seem a touch complacent.
    This Longines VHP cost a third as much; yet it is even more accurate...five seconds a year...with a perpetual calendar included. And a five-year battery life. Not quite as nicely finished but in some ways, a better watch, to me anyway.
    So come on GS. We need a replacement for the f9 module, and a proper perpetual calender feature, with longer battery life. You charge enough after all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 7th May 2018 at 14:47.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    ..... So come on GS. We need a replacement for the f9 module, and a proper perpetual calender feature, with longer battery life. You charge enough after all.
    I'd love a feature to let you quick adjust the hour hand for daylight saving. Since the watch is so accurate, it would be brilliant (allied to a perpetual calendar).

With help from another member i maybe onto a white GS :)

If i happen to pick one up i would be tempted to get hold of a strap, buckle/deployment - as I quite like the look.....

Cheers

Matt

Journeyman
    I've enjoyed several GS quartz models, my nephew loves the one I gave him. He just adores it. But I think GS now need to raise their game, because they can seem a touch complacent.
    This Longines VHP cost a third as much; yet it is even more accurate...five seconds a year...with a perpetual calendar included. And a five-year battery life. Not quite as nicely finished but in some ways, a better watch, to me anyway.
    So come on GS. We need a replacement for the f9 module, and a proper perpetual calender feature, with longer battery life. You charge enough after all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I too have the Longines, as well as a GS quartz and I agree with all you say about the movement. But side by side the finish of the GS completely outshines it.

Journeyman

If i happen to pick one up i would be tempted to get hold of a strap, buckle/deployment - as I quite like the look.....

Cheers

Matt
    Hope it works out for you and you get the watch you want.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I'd love a feature to let you quick adjust the hour hand for daylight saving. Since the watch is so accurate, it would be brilliant (allied to a perpetual calendar).
    Seiko's 8J movements offered this in Grand Seiko. A couple I owned:

8J55:

8J56:

I like the facility, and would like it to return. (Some consider the 9F movement a cost-reduced version of the 8J).

Seiko offer perpetual calendars in much cheaper movements, and have done for ages, but if I may venture a counter to the clamour for its inclusion in Grand Seiko quartz, it is this: Mechanical quartz perpetual calendars always require some method of resetting (for battery change) and this tends to require either an extra pusher, or decoupling the date mechanism from the crown in some way that it is entirely electronically controlled, as in Seiko's own 8F56 movements. Such as this one of mine, also featuring a 10-year battery life:

I prefer the date (and hands) to be mechanically coupled to the crown in a fine watch. Seiko's GS quartz, both the 8J and 9F, achieve this. High quality mechanical movements, regulated by quartz and powered by a battery. Independent hour hand, yes. Perpetual calendar, I can live without.
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 7th May 2018 at 16:06.

Excellent information as ever, thanks!

Master
    This Longines VHP cost a third as much; yet it is even more accurate...five seconds a year...with a perpetual calendar included. And a five-year battery life. Not quite as nicely finished but in some ways, a better watch, to me anyway. So come on GS. We need a replacement for the f9 module, and a proper perpetual calender feature, with longer battery life. You charge enough after all.
    I totally agree. However, that Longines is simply no substitute from a looks perspective.

Good luck, you won't regret it if you do pick one up.

Grand Seiko grow their own Quartz crystals, pick the best, then age them to maturity, matching them to a circuit board which is individually programmed to the crystal's exact resonance.

It's a Quartz movement, yes, but it's hand-assembled, jewelled, rather nicely decorated and the sealed inner cabin allows Seiko to claim that aside from battery changes (and the waterproof seals as well) it won't need a service for 50 years or so.

Plus, there's a huge amount of hand-finishing that goes into the case, hands & dial - they really have to be seen to be believed, they sparkle and change colour like a light show.

The razor-sharp hands even have a tiny little spring attached to them (it looks like a little hairspring you might find in a mechanical watch) that helps the hands hit their marker and stops them 'wobbling' to a halt. Attention to detail.

A surprisingly practical watch also, for something so fine - anti-magnetic to a small degree, and water resistant to 100m.

This video is incredible - watch it and I guarantee it'll seal the deal for you: https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=&v=sULI3raP6Jw

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Seiko claim that aside from battery changes (and the waterproof seals as well) it won't need a service for 50 years or so
    Although seemingly endlessly repeated as fact on English-language watch forums, Seiko do not claim this. It's a mis-reading of their description of the “sealed cabin” offering the oils used within a theoretical life of 50 years. Dust can indeed slay a quartz movment, and the sealed cabin does help. As it does on other high quality quartz movements from other manufacturers. But it is clearly not wholly sealed (hint... the hands have to be driven by something...) and Seiko's servicing recommendation can be found clearly on page 20 of the 9F handbook:

Periodic inspection and adjustment by disassembly and cleaning (overhaul) is recommended approximately once every 3 to 4 years in order to maintain optimal performance of the watch for a long time.
    It's a very fine movement nonetheless, made to last (and be serviceable) for a long time. I doubt many will need much attention, just like other quartz watches.

My 9F...

Not about quartz specifically but if OP doesn't mind grey market then I've been poking around and would recommend looking at the prices on higuchi-Inc.com. I'm looking at an sbgr251 which is at least 1000 cheaper than UK list even accounting for taxes.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Higuchi isn’t even the cheapest jdm source.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Higuchi isn’t even the cheapest jdm source.
    Would be interested to know what is?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJI View Post
    Would be interested to know what is?
    It's not a fixed thing over time. It requires some effort to figure out. However, it's almost never one of the big time export sellers like Chino, etc al. I know people have had good luck contacting ADs on Rakuten.

Master
    I had both white and black dialled GS quartz watches. The black I would say was by far more legible even though the white (perhaps more cream) one I got was a limited edition with an exquisite dial and really wanted to like and keep.

Sold both in the end, and got myself a black dialled spring drive.

If you're looking to get direct from Japan, just check FromJapan.co.jp (English friendly). They currently have a 10% sale for Rakuten items, and a quick search for the SBGX059 - theres one for £827 used, which you need to add 20% taxes if importing to UK.
    https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/speci...:10006642/2_1/

This is even cheaper - just £799 used
    https://www.fromjapan.co.jp/en/speci...1:10004994/2_1

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KingKitega; 8th May 2018 at 17:12. Reason: added info on a watch search

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I had both white and black dialled GS quartz watches. The black I would say was by far more legible even though the white (perhaps more cream) one I got was a limited edition with an exquisite dial and really wanted to like and keep.

Sold both in the end, and got myself a black dialled spring drive.

If you're looking to get direct from Japan, just check FromJapan.co.jp (English friendly)

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk
    I can confirm the Black dial one is very legible and a beautiful watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    The Gold Coast version is much nicer

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...-l3-726-4-99-6
    I've yet to see one, and the 43 mm case is to big for me.

I keep hankering after another Grand Seiko, this time with a Blue or Silver dial.
    Last edited by PhilipJI; 8th May 2018 at 21:27.