closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Prs-29a out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthpunk View Post
    @Cornholio- nice serial number!
    Yes, that was another thing that I was pleased with.

I'm loving the pictures of the AM on leather, it really does look splendid. Frustratingly, I can only wear leather for short periods, and I think this watch is going to take up permanent residence on my wrist...

A picture paints a thousand words.
    Thanks for the heads up, I would not have realised that until after the inside of the lugs had been scored, then I’d be cursing. I’ll spend a little time fettling before putting it on.
    The spacers from a biro sounds a good idea. I was thinking I could turn up some nylon ones but I’m all for keeping it simple!

Quote Originally Posted by Lukeott View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I would not have realised that until after the inside of the lugs had been scored, then I’d be cursing. I’ll spend a little time fettling before putting it on.
    The spacers from a biro sounds a good idea. I was thinking I could turn up some nylon ones but I’m all for keeping it simple!
    Hehe- i too, have a lathe. Excellent tool. I have also come up with about 20 different ways of reengineering the basic Bonklip for modern day use, since i discovered them.. I think Ill start a thread over on leather, rubber and nylon for anyone else whos interested in re-engineering a better mousetrap with me, to avoid off topic-ing this thread.

However, for the latheless; a craft knife, biro and a dremel (or at a pinch: some needle files and a tonne of patience) are deffo the way to go.

/edit- back in the 50s when the MOD fitted Bonklips to mark 11s they were specified as needing to be fitted by the MOD workshops. Ie an actual watchmaker fettled and fitted them. THey werent really meant to be removable. So dont feel bad about removing metal to get em to fit, its meant to be that way.... Edit/

Cheers!
    Rich
    Last edited by Synthpunk; 25th October 2018 at 16:22. Reason: Felt like it.

Master
    Does anybody have an explanation for the dial colouring? I'm wondering if it's possibly the AR coating on the crystal or something. The dial is black, no question, but it seems to be specifically artificial lighting which brings out the lovely blue tones. For instance, if I angle the watch so that I can see two wall mounted bulbs mirrored in the crystal, there are two small blue dots which float around as I move the watch slightly. Under strip CFL's, the whole thing goes a lovely blue.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Does anybody have an explanation for the dial colouring? I'm wondering if it's possibly the AR coating on the crystal or something. The dial is black, no question, but it seems to be specifically artificial lighting which brings out the lovely blue tones. For instance, if I angle the watch so that I can see two wall mounted bulbs mirrored in the crystal, there are two small blue dots which float around as I move the watch slightly. Under strip CFL's, the whole thing goes a lovely blue.

Would be AR coating I believe.

It's interesting. I have the previous PRS-29A with the acrylic crystal and never noticed a blue dial. It's always been an inky black. The hands on my Air Ministry are most definitely blue, but under artificial light can appear black (which only adds to its charm).

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonofmorton View Post
    It's interesting. I have the previous PRS-29A with the acrylic crystal and never noticed a blue dial. It's always been an inky black. The hands on my Air Ministry are most definitely blue, but under artificial light can appear black (which only adds to its charm).

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Could it be the sapphire crystal causing the blue hue coupled with the AR coating ? The last 29a had AR coating right ? But as mentioned no reports of the blue hues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonofmorton View Post
    It's interesting. I have the previous PRS-29A with the acrylic crystal and never noticed a blue dial. It's always been an inky black. The hands on my Air Ministry are most definitely blue, but under artificial light can appear black (which only adds to its charm). .................................................. .........
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Could it be the sapphire crystal causing the blue hue coupled with the AR coating ? The last 29a had AR coating right ? But as mentioned no reports of the blue hues! .................................................. ............................

I don't think, or at least I'm not aware, that the previous version of the 29A with the acrylic has any kind of AR coating front or back, and I can't personally perceive any telltale hues of AR in mine regardless what light or angle I view it

At TF's former order site for the two previous 29s [https://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs29.htm], the crystal of the earlier version of the 36mm 29A is described with no mention of AR as follows (quote): "Domed acrylic, 32.4mm diameter x 1.5mm thick x 4mm high", while the crystal for the 39mm 29B is described as having AR applied (quote): "Bombé sapphire, 34.5mm diameter x 1.5mm thick x 3.7mm high, A/R coating on underside"

The TF order site for the current 29AM [https://timefactors.com/prs29new.htm], describes the crystal of the new "Air Ministry" as also having the AR (quote): "Sapphire box crystal, 31.5mm diameter x 1.5mm thick x 3.6mm high with A/R coating on the underside"

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    I don't think, or at least I'm not aware, that the previous version of the 29A with the acrylic has any kind of AR coating front or back, and I can't personally perceive any telltale hues of AR in mine regardless what light or angle I view it
    The original 29a wouldn’t have had AR coating, as it’s not required with plexiglass. Any ‘blue-ness’ with the new 29a will be the internal AR.

Speaking of which... is there any chance of plexiglass making its return, specifically on the black dial 29a? I know the domed sapphire does a very good job of looking similar whilst being highly resistant to scratches, but when I had my 29a Mk1 the plexiglass was a big part of the charm. It’s just warmer than anything else. Would be cheaper to make too, and tbh I think you could still sell them at c.£400.

Bloody tricky to catch the blue hands in this light, got a glint though.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Blog Entries

Prs-29a out of stock.

That’s right it was just the 29b that had the AR on the underside - thanks for clarifying Rollon

Last edited by bond; 26th October 2018 at 09:34.

So i reopened the box this morning to check on timekeeping and mine was running at+7.5 secs, dial up over 24h. Which is pretty damn good. In my experience of ETA movements vs my wear habits, i expect it will run a little slower than that on the wrist. Hurray!

My prs 3 and prs 5 both run a similar amount fast dial up on the timegrapher, and to within a second a day on the wrist, depending on which wrist. (Pendant up (right)vs pendant down(left)).

I realise this is not of one tiny bit of significance to the price of bread, but it makes my OCD happy ;c)

I also found a newer, NOS pigskin to put it on. Looks lovely, just need to find a 16mm stainless buckle rather than gold plate.

Its off to my parents house next week. I cant trust myself to carry on with it at home before xmas, too tempting to dig it out and put it on.

Had another look for blue glow from the AR as well. Compared to a bulova A-15 reissue i have that has a similar sapphire/AR crystal but with a black dial its loads better. Hardly notice it at all. I think that must be a side effect of white vs black dials.

I think the only things i miss with sapphire vs acrylic is the acrylic distorting the numbers in the edge in a more organicly pleasing way than sapphire, and the mirrored tension ring you get with the old acrylic crystal. I really like the reflections of the seconds hand tip on tension rings- im so used to seeing it on my other watches, its a bit strange not seeing it.

I reckon my father is looking forward to seeing this as well. He was a maritime pilot/ships master until he retired, hes known within the family for an ability to kill watches stone dead just by wearing them for a bit. When i foned home last night we worked out that it was probably standing on the bridge under the radar dish, peering into the highly magnetic CRT screens that did it. He also reckons stray magnetic leakage from the Cavity Magnetron tubes in the transmitters. Also explains the extra head hes grown. In 50 years at sea, he never knew you could magnetically screened watches....

Cheers!
    Rich

Craftsman
    Mine was one of the last UK deliveries (the downside of ordering while in the US) and arrived on Wednesday. I'm as impressed as everyone else, especially by the hands, dial and crystal. Proportions are lovely and build quality spot on. Timekeeping on mine is excellent. I've been wearing it since Wednesday lunchtime and it is dead on atomic time today - hasn't gained or lost at all!

I think the supplied NATO is a bit too toolish for the watch so have a nice vintage leather on the way.

Great job Eddie!

Apprentice

Arrived today!

880/18 (I see you got the comment when ordering, thanks Eddie!) arrived about half an hour ago.

Beautifully simple military field watch. Absolutely stunning and crisp. I have taken some photos, but haven’t figured out how to post them yet!?! (Am typing this post on my phone)

It looks ever so slightly bigger in the photos than it does on the wrist. Unpacked it in the conservatory (raining outside) and was impressed by the lume when going into another room after just a couple of minutes, if that. Charged the lume with a single led UV torch for just a few seconds and... ...wow!

So, first impressions, I’m loving it! A very pleasing first watch from Timefactors, will be ordering a black and a green strap for it soon enough!

PRS-29a + TF Aviator = perfection

Eddie, thanks again for producing an absolute classic. The PRS-29a on the TF Aviator in black perfectly balance each other. This is my first purchase from you but it will certainly not be the last.
    Kindest regards

Guy
    IMG_4029.jpg
    IMG_4028.jpg

Whilst I did like the NATO, I do think the AM looks nicer on leather.

Ordered this one from WatchBandCenter the other day.

It certainly works for me.

Cheers,
    Adam.

# 808/18 sitting comfortably on the wrist, any concerns about the smaller size completely erased.

Smiths PRS-29A by Paul, on Flickr

Master
    Yes, mines running about +8 a day too, worn 16 hours a day since last Saturday, dial up overnight. I suspect that will change as it beds in.

So i reopened the box this morning to check on timekeeping and mine was running at+7.5 secs, dial up over 24h. Which is pretty damn good. In my experience of ETA movements vs my wear habits, i expect it will run a little slower than that on the wrist. Hurray!

Quote Originally Posted by Mart54 View Post
    Eddie,
    Love the AM. My first Smiths, but definitely not the last. BTW what does the "PRS" stand for?
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ull=1#post4966

Apprentice
    Hello everyone,

My name is Camilo and I got my Air Ministry a couple of days ago. Love the watch and I'm Planning to write a full post with pictures soon enough.

Before that I had a question about the Eta 2801. Basically I wanted to know if it's possible to overwind this movement, and if there is a limit to the number of times you can wind it?

I have only handled a couple of manual wind vintage omegas, but on those there is point where you cant wind no further (the crown gets very stiff) but I'm not seeing this on my Air Ministry, it seems I can go on and on without the crown stopping. I have not tried to wind it further being afraid of breaking something but wanted to check if this was normal behavior or not.

If this is normal, how do you know the watch is fully wound? About how many turns should you make?

Thanks a lot,

Camilo
    Last edited by charper; 27th October 2018 at 09:07. Reason: Typos

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charper View Post
    Hello everyone,

My name is Camilo and I got my Air Ministry a couple of days ago. Love the watch and I'm Planning to write a full post with pictures soon enough.

Before that I had a question about the Eta 2801. Basically I wanted to know if it's possible to overwind this movement, and if there is a limit to the number of times you can wind it?

I have only handled a couple of manual wind vintage omegas, but on those there is point where you cant wind no further (the crown gets very stiff) but I'm not seeing this on my Air Ministry, it seems I can go on and on without the crown stopping. I have not tried to wind it further being afraid of breaking something but wanted to check if this was normal behavior or not.

If this is normal, how do you know the watch is fully wound? About how many turns should you make?

Thanks a lot,

Camilo
    Hi Camilo ,
    Congratulations on buying a beautiful watch!
    I’m sure the watch is fully wound when you reach the point where you feel resistance. If you have stopped before this then it is not fully wound . Be certain not to force any more past when you feel the resistance! (But I’m sure you know this )

Apprentice
    Straight on the wrist.

With the family

Last edited by Andy3536; 27th October 2018 at 12:34.

I've got 3 coming back because "it's too small for my wrist". What part of 36mm is complicated?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've got 3 coming back because "it's too small for my wrist". What part of 36mm is complicated?

Eddie
    Stunned.

Eddie
    Que?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Eddie
    Unreal and ever so slightly pathetic.

Hard lines chief, selling things would be great if it weren't for them pesky customers.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Don't know why you'd take returns on that basis. I suppose telling them to wear them on johnny todger 'because it will look bigger' is out of the question?

Ive yet to see any 'blue' tones in the 29a's dial. It looks as inky black as the original to me.

I am coming to the conclusion that of the two this is the better version.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Don't know why you'd take returns on that basis. I suppose telling them to wear them on johnny todger 'because it will look bigger' is out of the question?
    Good customer service?
    Companys, especially small microbrands can rely on word of mouth (or at least the modern, much worse internet equivelant) Peoples personal experience with the brand can really make a difference. And those customers could well return for future purchases, which they wounldn't if they were refused.

People should really have a handle on the basics like watch size vs wrist. But thier experience with Eddie will still give them an opinion towards the brand, and they may (good or bad) pass that experience on.

Providing the watches are still in a condition to be sold as new, there should be little problem. They won't be on the shelves long anyway the way they're selling.

If the watches get damaged, through improper packaging on return or through the user handling. Then things are different.
    I know it's a pain in the back side for Eddie as a one man operation with limited dispatch capability. But things are always better long term looking after these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy3536 View Post
    Good customer service?
    Companys, especially small microbrands can rely on word of mouth (or at least the modern, much worse internet equivelant) Peoples personal experience with the brand can really make a difference. And those customers could well return for future purchases, which they wounldn't if they were refused.

People should really have a handle on the basics like watch size vs wrist. But thier experience with Eddie will still give them an opinion towards the brand, and they may (good or bad) pass that experience on.

Providing the watches are still in a condition to be sold as new, there should be little problem. They won't be on the shelves long anyway the way they're selling.

If the watches get damaged, through improper packaging on return or through the user handling. Then things are different.
    I know it's a pain in the back side for Eddie as a one man operation with limited dispatch capability. But things are always better long term looking after these things.
    And what happens if the next watch they buy is too big? Should Darwins law also not apply to customer service?

Eddie
    Hahahah - the customer is ALWAYS right!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    And what happens if the next watch they buy is too big? Should Darwins law also not apply to customer service?
    I don't beleive there's room for Darwins law in customer service.
    Although, if there was. I defenatly be interested in a future role in it

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Ive yet to see any 'blue' tones in the 29a's dial. It looks as inky black as the original to me.

I am coming to the conclusion that of the two this is the better version.
    As has already been stated, I concur that the likeliest reason for blueish tones seen on the 29a is due to the AR coating. From all the images I have seen the dual looks as black as you can get! It's a lovely thing!!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Mine arrived this morning. Very impressed.

Great combo there!

Mind telling your wrist size?

Thanks!

Master
    Isn't he required to by law?

Craftsman
    In the snow

Envoyé de mon SM-G950F en utilisant Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben265 View Post
    In the snow

Envoyé de mon SM-G950F en utilisant Tapatalk
    That looks stunning. A white dial with a brown strap looks great IMO.

I really like that watch, the only thing stopping me pulling the trigger is the lack of a date window (I know that would ruin it anyway but I usually have a date on my watches).

a
    That's what I thought to be the case, providing the items returned in as new condition,after all as has been acknowledged on here numerous times, watches wear differently for a bunch of factors, so actually seeing it in the flesh 36 mm could just be that bit too small because of wrist shape or summat else. Not an expert on consumer rights though.

And that's why I do, provided that it's returned in "as shipped" condition.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Had some leather time... now for NATO

Sent from my PH-1 using some kind of voodoo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post

I really like that watch, the only thing stopping me pulling the trigger is the lack of a date window (I know that would ruin it anyway but I usually have a date on my watches).
    I used to be like that but now I can't read the bloody date without my glasses I no longer care. Just get one, it's lovely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post

I used to be like that but now I can't read the bloody date without my glasses I no longer care. Just get one, it's lovely.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogdensnut View Post
    Hahahah - the customer is ALWAYS right!!

I worked in retail for a few years when I was a student. It seemed to me that the customer was in fact usually wrong. I am thankful every day that I rarely have to deal with the general public in my career now, I don’t have the patience for it.

Apprentice

36mm a solution

Eddie
    Indeed ... If you are worried about the size of a watch on your wrist, and can't imagine what 36mm looks like ... draw a 36mm circle on a piece of paper .. cut it out and there you go .. no ones time wasted

Apprentice
    I keep looking at the hands and I was sure they weren't painted or chemically blued so I checked with the manufacturer and they're proper heat blued.

Eddie
    I was 80% going to buy one of the AMs when I saw the mock up in post 135. Then I stopped myself when I initially read the hands were going to be chemically blued. Then I read your comment about proper heat blued hands and was 100% in!

Went to pick it up from the post office late on Friday, opened the leather pouch and it was empty! my heart sank... Then I looked in the other compartment and it was there just looking at me! perfect.

I've been staring at it almost constantly for 2 days. It's a cracking watch.

Master
    So out of interest, who here is going to wear these as the original was intended, I.e a brilliant field watch to be dragged through the mud etc, and who here will consider it more along the lines of jewelery? Just interested. Like divers, I like to make use of their tech specifications, and my military has already been given a bit of a beating without an issue. Might not have a screw down crown, but seems a perfect go anywhere do anything watch to me :)

Craftsman
    So out of interest, who here is going to wear these as the original was intended, I.e a brilliant field watch to be dragged through the mud etc, and who here will consider it more along the lines of jewelery? Just interested. Like divers, I like to make use of their tech specifications, and my military has already been given a bit of a beating without an issue. Might not have a screw down crown, but seems a perfect go anywhere do anything watch to me :)
    I bought my Air Ministry as a travel watch - no screw down crown to worry about when changing the time, no date to get messed up when I switch time zones, robust and magnetically shielded so it doesn't get messed up, will look good with a suit, and not super expensive so I won't worry too much about it and can just enjoy wearing a watch. So it will spend a lot of time in planes, which is what the original was intended for!

I wear all my watches for a while when they're launched and then when there's a bit of a lean spell of new models, I wear them in rotation. I'm currently wearing the PRS-45, how many of you are?

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by leafy View Post
    Great combo there!

Mind telling your wrist size?

Thanks!
    Circa 6.75”. 48mm lug to lug is my guide for the max I can comfortably wear. The PRS29 at just under 47mm is perfect.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    Circa 6.75”. 48mm lug to lug is my guide for the max I can comfortably wear. The PRS29 at just under 47mm is perfect.
    Perfect! Thanks for this.

We have the same measurement. 👍