closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Prs-29a out of stock.

Prs-29a out of stock.

Just checked and it's out of stock.Any plans to make some new ones for sale?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

There might be.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Then I might buy one.
    Andrew

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Does anyone know how many were made so far? Is that something Mr Platts would be happy with sharing?

I’ve been wearing mine every day recently, and am very happy with it.

The 29a is unavailable quite often and usually comes back. I guess there will come a time when it doesnt and that will be a sad day as its a beautiful thing and amazing value for money.

Most hang on to them.

Ive had a few. I bought this one in 2015 sold it on after a while and it then changed hands a couple of times between forum regulars before I bought it back.

I dont wear it very often these days but I feel all the better for it being in the draw.

I've tried to buy one a few times of late to find the website closed for orders. Recently went back to see out of stock. Hopefully they will return and I will get my hands on one! 🤞🏼

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Amazing watches, all the character of a vintage military watch but you take it anywhere without worry. It's my daily wearer for swimming, cycling etc.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

So if Im reading that right its the same size but with 20mm log with and a sapphire crystal.

Interesting.

Great to see production will continue, even if I think it's a shame to lose the acrylic crystal (or option of), as it's actually quite difficult to find brand new watches with them.

If this is a more practical version (sapphire crystal, wider choice of straps given the 20mm lug width), might I suggest having removable spring-bars, preferably with lug holes? Would allow two-piece straps to be used... Could even have an automatic movement? I like my 'purist' 29a with fixed lugs, acrylic, and manual-wind movement, but I think a more practical variant would tick a lot of boxes for people - even at a higher price.

Im not too keen on the 'upgrades' but times change.

I would guess that the original spec 29a's will become more sought after now - good news, mine can be making a positive contribution to the OAP fund in future years.

Also, I see the drawing is marked as 20,000 a/m resistant... the original ones were 80,000... is it just a typo on the spec document?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Great to see production will continue, even if I think it's a shame to lose the acrylic crystal (or option of), as it's actually quite difficult to find brand new watches with them.

If this is a more practical version (sapphire crystal, wider choice of straps given the 20mm lug width), might I suggest having removable spring-bars, preferably with lug holes? Would allow two-piece straps to be used... Could even have an automatic movement? I like my 'purist' 29a with fixed lugs, acrylic, and manual-wind movement, but I think a more practical variant would tick a lot of boxes for people - even at a higher price.
    I would second the addition of lug holes and spring bars once the movements are sourced, Eddie.

Hi Eddie, Are the minute and second hands on the new version the same size? Or the Same proportions as the W10 ? And are we talking this year? I'm not very good at the waiting game lol!

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    This is turning into an interesting year.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Well regardless of the exact specifications, a new 36mm case watch is most welcome.

Apprentice
    This is soooo AWESOME! 20mm lugs on the 29A. Oh, the wait is already killing me, and this morning I didn't even know about this...

I bought a 29a a few weeks ago, put it down for one day, and my wife made a grab at it. I haven't got it back since. Today, when I read her the news about the new version, she said "Order it, because this one here you're not getting back!" ;)

edit: I would prefer spring bars and drilled lugs, but would buy the new PRS 29A with 20mm lug width no matter what.
    Last edited by TomasC; 9th May 2018 at 14:22. Reason: spring bars and drilled lugs

Master
    Spring bars would make this so much more versatile, and drilled lugs would be fantastic.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fixed bars everyday for a watch like this.
    personally I think 18mm straps would look better balanced.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Think of the Ex 1016. 20mm will give the watch a more masculine look. I own a Seiko Spirit Military (SBCA001), 36 with 20mm lugs, imho its not overpowering, but has some heft.

There might be.

Eddie
    Eddie, “might” the 29B also be making an encore?

Fixed bars everyday for a watch like this.
    Yeah I'm inclined to agree. Would be nice to keep it as close to the original dimensions as possible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogdensnut View Post
    Yeah I'm inclined to agree. Would be nice to keep it as close to the original dimensions as possible.

Yes otherwise what’s the point of having a purist version in first place . The 29b fills the void for those wanting the extra lug width/height /size and upgraded crystals etc . Think it was perfect the way it was personally . That’s why it sold so well .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TomasC View Post
    Think of the Ex 1016. 20mm will give the watch a more masculine look. I own a Seiko Spirit Military (SBCA001), 36 with 20mm lugs, imho its not overpowering, but has some heft.
    I've a SBCA001 which has 20mm on a 36mm case. On the bracelet it looks totally unremarkable, but on a nato, or especially on leather, it begins to look a bit diddy. But perhaps that is to do with its stubby integrated lugs, which are a very different style to the PRS29's?

Hmmm,interesting.
    Is it my imagination or have the H and M hands got blunter, with a shorter taper to the point?
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Hmmm,interesting.
    Is it my imagination or have the H and M hands got blunter, with a shorter taper to the point?
    Dave
    The lume is finished differently on the hour hand, coming to a square point rather than a triangular one. Not sure about the rest.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    The lume is finished differently on the hour hand, coming to a square point rather than a triangular one. Not sure about the rest.
    .. interesting. Hadn't noticed that on the originals @ http://timefactors.com/smithsprs29.htm:

29A - lume pointy on H, squared on M
    29B - lume pointy on both H/M

plus the more I look at it, the more the 29B appears to have less pointy H/M tips relative to original 'A- the new rev. above appears to be as per existing B with less sharp tips + squared?

al

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    Eddie, “might” the 29B also be making an encore?
    No. The 29A outsold the 29B by a ratio of 4:1 and with a minimum order of 300 pieces, it's a lot of money to be tied up in slow moving stock.

Eddie

Understood and thank you for your response.

Apprentice
    The lug width shown in the posted picture is 18mm. If I was skilled in photoshop, I could show one with 20mm. Sorry.

- Tomas

I'm a bit busy today so can't do a great job of this, but rough still helps.

Eddie's renders are definitely 18mm lug width spacing. That is the left version. The right is a mock up much closer to 20mm lug spacing. Small differences but changes the profile – not for the worse.

I have to say that the placement of the 6 is bothering me, its riding to high. It looks much better on my 29B which looks in a line with 5 & 7.

Thanks for the pic showing 18 vs 20mm.....think I prefer the 18mm.would prefer acrylic crystal to sapphire - keeps it more original.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I like the addition of the sapphire... it would honestly make me think of changing up my 29B for it. I prefer smaller watches. And I wear the 29B in the office every day so might be a perfect change. It gives a good modern twist to a classic design.

We'll have to see though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Yes otherwise what’s the point of having a purist version in first place . The 29b fills the void for those wanting the extra lug width/height /size and upgraded crystals etc . Think it was perfect the way it was personally . That’s why it sold so well .

Well, it seems as though the 29b won’t be returning. So if this is now becoming a single model perhaps there is some room for change. Now, I would buy an unmodified restock 29a in an instant. But my preference would still be for drilled lugs and 20mm lug width. Acrylic or sapphire makes no odds to me.

Blog Entries

Prs-29a out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Well, it seems as though the 29b won’t be returning. So if this is now becoming a single model perhaps there is some room for change. Now, I would buy an unmodified restock 29a in an instant. But my preference would still be for drilled lugs and 20mm lug width. Acrylic or sapphire makes no odds to me.

Yes it seems to make sense now as the news unfolds about the ‘b’ . Hopefully the new ‘A’ will tick boxes that both watches offered . Sort of meet in the middle hybrid.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A 36mm case with a 20mm strap doesn’t look right it’s almost a band.

Again another very very rough layout of a NATO on 18mm lugs and 20mm lugs

I've had another play with the 5-6-7 layout. Even though they all line up on a grid perspective, it makes the 6 seem like it is popping up higher. I have slightly moved 5-7 up breaking the design rule and it now makes the numbers look as if they are flowing around the dial more naturally. I have not fixed it on all the numbers as its tricky with just a flat jpeg.

Also I have created a 'point' to the lume which I think makes the hands look more refined (especially on a 36mm model)

* The open 4 is quiet unusual – a change from the standard font spec?

* In the previous versions the dial seems to be a solid black, will this version be less so?

Would it be possible to swap in the box sapphire crystal on a 29a MkI?

Master
    A 36mm case with a 20mm strap doesn’t look right it’s almost a band.
    Looks absolutely fine on my Datejust.

This updated iteration might tempt me to get my first watch from Eddie.

Another thing I have liked about the drawings is how the orange arrows have looked on the dial! Got me to have a little play with the idea....

Craftsman
    Great to see this watch may well return. Buying one of these from SC is what lead me to ultimately buying an original Smiths W10.

Having compared the new dial layout to my PRS-29A, the 6 on the original is indeed lower than the 5 and 7. For me inline 5, 6, 7 looks a little unbalanced.

This suggestion may divide opinion, but something that really looks good on my W10 is the way the lume has aged on the hour markers. Faux aged lume option anyone?

I'm considering drilled lugs with shoulderless springbars to allow a wider range of straps to be fitted.

Eddie

I'm considering drilled lugs with shoulderless springbars to allow a wider range of straps to be fitted.

Eddie
    Have you seen that white dial mock up with blued hands?

If so, any chance of you making some?

Eddie
    Yay
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Terrific idea likewise drilled lugs.
    Last edited by Passenger; 16th May 2018 at 10:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Where? It's not in this thread.

Eddie

No, it was in the British 1940s style watches thread. Someone made s mock up in a 29a case.

Looks lovely.

He's not the only person who's had that daydream...

I would love a Timefactors watch like the 40s 6B/159s

"The features that stand out for me are:
    blued heavy spade hands, cream dial, numerals with a little more character than typical of Pilot watches, wide train track minute markers, manual, central seconds"

Master

Eddie
    That would be fantastic!