closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 10” Laptop recommendation.

Master
    Blog Entries

10” Laptop recommendation.

Apologies for the lengthy post but I’m hoping someone who knows computers can help;

For the last couple of years, I’ve split my computing time between a Surface Pro and an IPad twinned with a clamcase keyboard.

I’d like to combine them into one machine and think I’ve found one but I’m unsure if it’ll be up to the job.

In basic terms, I love using the IPad. The size and weight is great and although the keyboard is on the small side, I’ve got so used to it that I find typing a doddlle, (I’ve even written a book on it!).

However, I much prefer Windows 10 as an operating system. Firstly, there are quite a few programs that I can’t use on the IPad and secondly, I really, really like using a mouse. The finger thing just doesn’t work for me. I have tried the Apple pen and although better, is still no where near as comfortable as a mouse for me.

The Surface Pro is awesome. Windows 10, (with my beloved mouse!) and a decent processor, an i7 with 8GB of RAM.
    Although not a large machine by any standards, compared to the IPad, I find it too large to lug about.

I’ve been on the lookout for a windows machine with the same dimensions as the IPad and keyboard case and have stumbled across the Lenovo Miix 320. It is the same size almost to the mm and is actually slightly lighter. Perfect!

However... I am a little concerned as to whether the hardware is up to the job. 99% of my work is straight forward MS Word and internet browsing. I do like to have a muck about on a couple of 3D modelling programs though and also use Wix to run my work website.

The top model has 4GB of RAM and 128 eMMC of storage. It runs an Atom X5-z8350 processor.

Will that be ok to use or am I to find myself forever looking at a loading screen?

I’m not too worried with the storage side of things as I use One Drive primarily.

Here is the full specs, (complete with long words I know nothing about);

https://www.johnlewis.com/lenovo-mii...white/p3260079

So in summation;
    Q1. Will this be up to a reasonable amount of work?
    Q2. Have I missed a better machine? - although it’ll need to be pretty much the same size, (250mm x 185mm)
    Q3. Is this sort of machine ‘upgradable’ to a better processor / greater RAM?
    Q4. Staying with the IPad, is there a reliable way of hacking it to run Windows 10 and use a mouse? I don’t mind jailbreaking it as long as it works!

Sorry for all the questions. I am a complete novice when it comes to this kind of thing.

Thanks in advance

Dave

The Surface Pro is designed for real work, and as such is fully equipped with great tech. That Lenovo is cheap as chips and designed for web browsing and emailing. I've no doubt it would be capable of word processing etc, but I wouldn't push it much beyond that.
    Here's an alternative: http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/lapto...laptop/cn53713

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd stick with something using a proper intel chip Dave, i5 or i7 if budget allows.
    If you like the apple OS you could always buy an 11 inch MacBook Air and run windows in parallel on a dual boot... not done it myself with windows 10 as I'm a Mac man and only use a PC at work when software dictates I have to.

Have a look at the 3D modelling software and see what specs it needs. Everything will pivot around that so to speak.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers so far.

I HATE Apple os. Bought a MacBook Pro a year or two ago. Disgusting thing.

After an internet session, I’m currently looking into something called SplashTop which seems to be able to access my Surface Pro via my IPad. Also supports a mouse so might be the best of both worlds?

MacBook Air running Windows 10 under Parallels is the answer surely as stated above. Pair with an Apple Magic Mouse and you have the perfect portable solution

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ll have a look into the Air, thanks.

Journeyman
    I think you will struggle to find a powerful enough windows machine in the form factor of the iPad. The surface is about as close as you will get.

The constraints as you have highlighted is that the keyboard is too small in the iPad which means you are looking for roughly a 13 inch laptop screen which will be heavier than the iPad. The surface is about the best out there. You will also find that like the Lenovo you found is a very light weight machine and most in this form factor will be the same. They would not run your 3D software well if at all. The 3D software will be intensive for the processor and as mentioned I would not look to run on anything less than an i5 or i7 and this will limit your choice on smaller machines.

The air is light and a reasonable form factor, however ultimately you are still running the apple os albeit with windows on top but would be powerful enough. I would also try to check if your 3D software will run on an emulated version of windows. Whilst a lot will, not everything does.

Master
    Look at thge Lenovo Yoga range as well, some of those run Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Q1. Will this be up to a reasonable amount of work?
    Q2. Have I missed a better machine? - although it’ll need to be pretty much the same size, (250mm x 185mm)
    Q3. Is this sort of machine ‘upgradable’ to a better processor / greater RAM?
    Q4. Staying with the IPad, is there a reliable way of hacking it to run Windows 10 and use a mouse? I don’t mind jailbreaking it as long as it works!
    Dave
    1. The SurfacePro is the only convertible capable of doing high end work such as 3D modelling. Everything else should be up to surfing and word processing.

2. I just did some looking around and came across the Lenovo Tablet 10. It looks pretty good, better than the Miix. https://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/lenovo.../p/22TD2LV1010

3. You need to think of these machines as sealed boxes. They are made small using lots of glue and are essentially unserviceable.

4. This isn't possible. The only option I can think of is to have a Windows machine always on at home then access it via RemoteDesktop/TeamViewer on the iPad. The only remote desktop sharing app which supports a mouse is by Citrix and it requires a pro license.

IMO you already have the best device for your requirements in the SurfacePro.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    1. The SurfacePro is the only convertible capable of doing high end work such as 3D modelling. Everything else should be up to surfing and word processing.

2. I just did some looking around and came across the Lenovo Tablet 10. It looks pretty good, better than the Miix. https://www3.lenovo.com/gb/en/lenovo.../p/22TD2LV1010

3. You need to think of these machines as sealed boxes. They are made small using lots of glue and are essentially unserviceable.

4. This isn't possible. The only option I can think of is to have a Windows machine always on at home then access it via RemoteDesktop/TeamViewer on the iPad. The only remote desktop sharing app which supports a mouse is by Citrix and it requires a pro license.

IMO you already have the best device for your requirements in the SurfacePro.
    Thanks to all the posters so far.

Unbelievable, I’ve been on Lenovo’s site about 20 times and missed the Tablet 10!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oh, and just for information, there is a mouse other than Citrix that works with the iPad now, (eventually).

I came across a couple of reviews of it last night. It’s called the Swift Point GT mouse and works in conjunction with SplashTop.

I’ve had SplashTop working on the IPad last night so am mulling over buying the mouse to see how it goes.

Failing that, the Tab 10 looks perfect.

Thanks all.

The Tablet 10 is a new device which was announced at CES in January.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    The Tablet 10 is a new device which was announced at CES in January.
    That makes sense!

Looks a good bit of kit.

Journeyman
    I think you may find the Lenovo still underpowered for you 3D editing. but looks like a nice machine

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post
    I think you may find the Lenovo still underpowered for you 3D editing. but looks like a nice machine
    I expect you’re probably right.
    There was another machine of similar size with great specs but it’s JDM only. The Panasonic Let’s Note

Master
    Blog Entries
    THREAD UPDATE:

Thought I'd update this incase anyone else was looking for a similar machine.

I looked at a few machines, mainly the Lenovo and the Surface Go. The Go was discounted a wanted a 'laptop' style rather than a kick stand. As I was looking, they released a newer model, the D330. I picked one of those up. I also found a Chinese machine called a Teclast F5 - ever so slightly longer than the size I was looking for but it seemed a decent spec and packed a much larger 11.6'' screen.

Although initially a little gitchy, (I had to reinstall Windows), I must say the Teclast beats the Lenovo hands down. Cheaper, better specced and far better put together. It's lighter too. Things seem to load quicker / run more smoothly on it - it has double the RAM so I guess that's the reason.

In the Lenovo's defence, it's battery life is awesome and it has the added functionality of LTE connection but if I'm honest, it feels really cheap compared to the Teclast. The keyboard flexes a lot and is noisy as hell. As I write a lot, this kills it for me.

So, if you are looking for a decent, cheap and portable machine for general computing, then the Teclast F5 is worth your consideration.

But...

It turns out it's all been for nothing. The new IOS 13 for the Ipad pro has some sort of mouse support so that will be what I use mostly now anyway!!!

Hope this helps someone if they are making a decision.