closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Why doesn't my perfect watch exist?

Why doesn't my perfect watch exist?

I don't think I'm asking for too much - a simple day/date with a GMT function that can take a bit of a beating. You'd think I'd be able to remember the day but you'd be wrong - I'm currently working overseas 7 days a week and when there are no weekends it's pretty easy to forget. Today I spent an hour correcting an excel spreadsheet because I thought it was Tuesday and had backdated the last 2 weeks incorrectly...
    I don't want any of that sub dial pointer date rubbish either - I want nice and legible (i'm getting old). Something like this with a day function:

Or this with a GMT hand:

I have spent hours looking for something suitable with zero luck. Any suggestions are greatly welcomed! No £10K plus haute horologie please, although to be honest, £2K is pushing my budget.

Blog Entries
    Bremont MB 2 and use the inner bezel as a second time zone or use your phone with dual time settings :)
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 2nd May 2018 at 16:18.

My Fortis GMT had a 60-click bezel, rather than the 120 needed to properly display 1-hour differences. So sold it.

Temption Curie would seem to fit your needs. Might be a little small physically,36/38mm from memory, however I think the firm do a larger cased version these days.

It is a very nice watch if my well used second hand example is anything to go by. Stylewise- not a traditional look. The website has some nice images of the pieces.

Apologies; legibility might be an issue. That will teach me to jump in half cocked.
    Last edited by halfscrew; 2nd May 2018 at 16:32. Reason: Legibility of dial issue

Master
    Your computer will tell you the day, date and time. The computer will display time zones too. I worked in multiple time zones for many years, never bothered with a GMT watch.
    If you want, you can set-up an App with all the data. It's just better than a watch, in practice. After all, how many times do you need to be told what day it Is?
    The pleasure of this approach is that you are then free to choose whatever watch you most enjoy. Let computers do any heavy lifting.
    Last edited by paskinner; 2nd May 2018 at 16:49.

The Damsko DA44/45 is available with GMT bezel. Would that work?

On most GMTs the day functionality is used for the GMT hand.
    My MK II Paradive day date has the 12 hour bezel. As close as it gets.

Sent from my Aquaris V using tapatalk with thick fingers, declining eyesight and a small keypad.

DA46...as close to your Damasko photo as possible. Yours for 1400 euros, well within your budget.

http://www.damasko-watches.com/us/mo...ing-bezel/da46produktfoto-DA46-01.jpg

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Perhaps I should have been more specific - I really want a GMT hand. Bezels are for fiddling with when I'm bored.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Your computer will tell you the day, date and time. The computer will display time zones too. I worked in multiple time zones for many years, never bothered with a GMT watch.
    If you want, you can set-up an App with all the data. It's just better than a watch, in practice. After all, how many times do you need to be told what day it Is?
    The pleasure of this approach is that you are then free to choose whatever watch you most enjoy. Let computers do any heavy lifting.
    Unfortunately I don't spend that much time on a computer (today being an exception) and the nature of my work means I can't carry a phone (or smartwatches) around with me. Honestly, it's very common for myself and those around me to ask what day it is and get a couple of different answers!

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Best one yet! Keep them coming :D

Banned
    The new Tudor gmt, no day but gmt function and date.

How’s about a Sinn 856 or 857 UTC? I have been lusting after an 857 for a few weeks even though it would look a lot like my Pelagos.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

SEIKO Automatic SARN001 GMT 4S36

Bought this off SC a month or so ago, great everyday GMT (3 time zones if needed) with date, You would also have about £1650 change out of your £2K!!

Could get one of these for £2K and they are beautiful watches in comfort, styling and accuracy (Excuse the blatantly robbed image!) -

Last edited by murkeywaters; 2nd May 2018 at 22:41.

Point taken about the bezel, so here's my final effort

Oris Artelier Complication.

Day, date and second time zone.

https://monochrome-watches.com/oris-...ed-2017-price/Oris-Artelier-Complication-Redesigned-2017-2-768x512.jpg

£1550 from Jura
    https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...1-07-5-21-66fc
    Last edited by Steelgecko; 3rd May 2018 at 00:03.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Your computer will tell you the day, date and time. The computer will display time zones too.
    Seriously? Not everyone has constant access to a computer in their work environment. And if he had that simple a solution to the issue he wouldn't be asking the question.

This gets thrown up time and again on watch forums, even as a claim for nobody needing watches at all. Its a self-centred assumption that we are all desk-divers sitting in an office.

Master
    As someone else has said, there are virtually no GMT watches with a GMT hand and a day/date window. The most achievable compromise would probably be to keep the day window and use a bezel for the GMT function - which means a 0-12 or World Timer bezel.

For myself, I know exactly what you mean about losing track of the day. I sometimes find the same thing on, say, a skiing holiday, when its easy to forget after a few days of complete immersion in the activity and the mountains. - and none of the other daily prompts - TV, work, church or church bells - to remind you. So on that sort of holiday I usually wear my Fortis Chronograph, with the day/day Lemania 5100 movement. It has a dive bezel, though I wish someone would make a 0-12 bezel for it.

I'd suggest looking out for one of the Lemania 5100 / 1340 chronos with a World Timer bezel. They're rare - but look lovely. Alternatively, go Ana-digital with an Omega X-33 or a Casio GW-2500.

Master
    Addendum - You could also try a Seiko 6309 or SKX Diver with day/date and get a replacement Dagaz combined countdown and 0-12 bezel or GMT Cities bezel

This definitely sounds like a job for an ANA-DIGI as suggested above. Is there even an analog movement that features all the those complications?