closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: recommend an file encryption app for mac?

recommend an file encryption app for mac?

Any one have an easy to use, uncomplicated file encryption app they can recommend?
    Cheers

Veracrypt?

The built-in Disk Utility?
    Last edited by Templogin; 2nd May 2018 at 13:39. Reason: Addition

"The built-in Disk Utility?"

Too complicated and fussy, it is just for individual files. It seems there are hundreds of different ones, but nothing that means I can just click on a file to open it, enter a password, and, well, open it.

Zip them up with encryption?

Agile Bits used to have a drag and drop encrypter. Not sure if it is still available....

...later... it’s called Knox, but it just looks like a more simple front end for Disk Utility.

My first question should have been why are you encrypting the files, to email or just for security to stay on the Mac/elsewhere.

You will know that FileVault will encrypt the whole drive.
    Last edited by Templogin; 2nd May 2018 at 17:19.

I tend to password protect folders by turning them into DMGs - this means that all files in that folder are protected by one password which is entered in order to open the folder, but then the files will open as usual.

What it does mean, is that the DMG needs to be mounted to open with a password, but can be unmounted to re-protect.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/p...ect-folder-mac

Rgds
    Andy

Sounds complicated as I need quick access.
    I am doing to comply with the new GDPR bollox forced upon me.

Master
    FileVault Is what you need, once set up it’s transparent unless you are trying to copy files from a locked or shut down system

Blog Entries
    macs have built in encyption (FileVault) for HD storage - seamless - just don't lose the key! https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204837

+1 for FireVault. Think they’re on FireVault2 now. One thing to be aware of is it will take ages to first encrypt (depends how much GB to encrypt) so don’t assume just because you’re clicked enable that it’s done. Also if you have multiple user accounts on that machine you will need to have FireVault enabled on a per account basis or I don’t think.

If you want just a folder like “work” or “clients” to be encrypted you can just encrypt that folder easily without needing any software just right click.

FireVault slows down your machine by a fraction so hopefully you have SSD and/or aren’t impatient.

Its not bollox - you hold personal information on people then you are obliged to protect it.

it’s not complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Rejoice! That “bollox” (sic) forced upon you comes from the EU. And we’re leaving so won’t have to put up with it if we don’t want to after that.
    After all, where is the harm in sharing data?

I am not sure of the smiley I should use to convey the fact that Following this post I am starting my campaign for the presidency of the Sarcasm Society.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

^Well, you have my vote..

And it is bollox Chris, do you think It’s just left lying around? I already have consent and policy in line with the DPA. I pay me £35 to the ICO, more money for nothing.
    Now I have to waste my time and money, and ask many elderly folk to re sign complicated un needed reams of paperwork they won’t understand. I don’t run a tech company. I don’t do anything with the information but retain for the correct term. Bureaucratic paper shovelling .

I don’t even know if I need to password protect stuff if I have a password on the Mac at startup. No one knows!
    Last edited by sestrel; 3rd May 2018 at 12:09.

Bitdefender has a very nifty file vault that creates a drive on your HD that you can make appear or disappear when needed.

Yes, I tried that, but it didn’t work. Also, even though I deleted the original as instructed, it just opened,even though I had used a password.

Yes, I tried that, but it didn’t work. Also, even though I deleted the original as instructed, it just opened,even though I had used a password.
    ^^

Was that in reply to the post I deleted.

It would seem the image doesn't resize :(

I don’t even know if I need to password protect stuff if I have a password on the Mac at startup. No one knows!
    A password on a Mac means absolutely nothing. Anyone can just start the Mac in target disk mode and view *everything* from another computer. All you need is access to another computer and then plug it in with a FireWire/Ethernet/thunderbolt cable.

Yes, and it’s a bit different in high Sierra..

Yes, and it’s a bit different in high Sierra..
    To get mine to allocate some disk space I had to run from the command prompt the following

mkfile 1g 1Gb-file

Then copy that into the folder pre .dmg creation, it will cause the .dmg file to be 1Gb in size.

You can remove the file after from the folder.

A
    sparse image might be resizeable from Disk Utility
    Last edited by Nogbad The Bad; 3rd May 2018 at 18:49.

Err, not ideal, or easy, is it....

Craftsman
    If you need to send it to someone else then I used stuffit expander to create password protected aes256 zip files. If it's to protect on the Mac itself then filevault the whole drive, worth doing that anyway so you don't have to worry about your data if the drive gets replaced.

Err, not ideal, or easy, is it....
    It really isn’t. GDPR is a nightmare for many companies, including the one I work with at the moment. But it essentially shows a lack of awareness as the cards were on the table for some time yet they waited to the very last minute to take action.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.