closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 270

Thread: Withheld warranty card watch on eBay.

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Staffs.
    Posts
    2,869

    Withheld warranty card watch on eBay.

    We always figured it would happen but hereís the first one Iíve spotted;

    https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-GMT-M...53.m1438.l2649

    Itís not the cheapest Batman on the site so it might be difficult to judge if it still gets a lot of interest. I think a lot of people will watch the auction out of curiosity so the number of watchers might distort the actual number of serious buyers for the watch, not that thatís really indicative anyway. If it sells quickly, it will be back to the drawing board for the ADs.

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    sunny yorkshire
    Posts
    3,076
    Seen a few watches on eBay without the card. Even a bi metal sky Dweller since launch probably still on now lol


    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Grand Master Wallasey Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Merry Old England
    Posts
    13,892
    Would anyone on here buy under those conditions.

    It's one thing buying from a known forum member and waiting a few months for the card, but I wouldn't buy from a stranger on e-bay offering the same deal.

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    615
    No stickers either :)

    Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Manchester,UK
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Would anyone on here buy under those conditions.

    It's one thing buying from a known forum member and waiting a few months for the card, but I wouldn't buy from a stranger on e-bay offering the same deal.
    And at such a large premium.

    For a few quid over list might be worth it but not almost £1500

  6. #6
    I can't see any problem, a phone call to the 'dealer' prior to handing over the payment would be enough reassurance I would think. Or am I missing something?

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  7. #7
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    sunny yorkshire
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I can't see any problem, a phone call to the 'dealer' prior to handing over the payment would be enough reassurance I would think. Or am I missing something?

    R
    I can the person named on the card has to be the one collecting the card in 1/2 years is he going care then or possibly be still around etc...

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    ^^^ That could be determined in the conversation prior to purchase.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Staffs.
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I can't see any problem, a phone call to the 'dealer' prior to handing over the payment would be enough reassurance I would think. Or am I missing something?

    R
    But Ralph, Assumimg you werenít being sarcastic, the dealer is retaining the card in an effort to stop what this seller is doing. The dealer would get the right hump . The seller will have burned his bridges in that AD.

  10. #10
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    17,514
    Blog Entries
    2
    Withheld warranty card watches are being sold through dealers already. It's preventing chuff all.

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Manchester,UK
    Posts
    576
    Also what happens if you need to move it on to release the money.

    That's going to be fun.

  12. #12
    Master smokey99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ex Pat North East - Now SE London
    Posts
    1,415
    Not really box and papers is it?

    Watch , box and the right to receive the papers sometime into the future..... hopefully.

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawbreaker5000 View Post
    Also what happens if you need to move it on to release the money.

    That's going to be fun.
    Do the same as eBay seller.

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Manchester,UK
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Do the same as eBay seller.
    You cannot though easily could you as you didn't buy it new.

    Like a buying a second hand car "log book is to follow pal nothing to worry about"

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    But Ralph, Assumimg you werenít being sarcastic, the dealer is retaining the card in an effort to stop what this seller is doing. The dealer would get the right hump . The seller will have burned his bridges in that AD.
    I'm certainly not being sarcastic. Ideally, the seller should get it sorted out with the dealer before-hand and get their agreement, but as a buyer you could still contact them and ask the question and if the answer is they won't release it then at least you know where you stand.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawbreaker5000 View Post
    You cannot though easily could you as you didn't buy it new.

    Like a buying a second hand car "log book is to follow pal nothing to worry about"
    Not really, you know where the card is.

    If not happy with arrangement don't buy such a watch (especially if already worrying might have to 'release funds').

  17. #17
    Craftsman T1ckT0ck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norwich, Norfolk
    Posts
    745
    I think i would have to assume that no warranty card would be forthcoming as lots of things can happen e.g seller disappears or just canít be bothered.

    Therefore i would have to seriously consider paying over list for what isnít and may not ever be a full set. Difficult.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Anyone know what happens if dealer retains warranty card and you take the watch to RSC or another AD for a repair of some sort.

  19. #19
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    sunny yorkshire
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    I think i would have to assume that no warranty card would be forthcoming as lots of things can happen e.g seller disappears or just canít be bothered.

    Therefore i would have to seriously consider paying over list for what isnít and may not ever be a full set. Difficult.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I am saying too many things could wrong in 1/2 years where does that leave you ?
    Makes no sense to buy one without the card for a premium

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    That's what I am saying too many things could wrong in 1/2 years where does that leave you ?
    Makes no sense to buy one without the card for a premium

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    The ADs policy is working.

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    sunny yorkshire
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The ADs policy is working.
    All good then

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    All good then

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    I think so.

  23. #23
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Manchester,UK
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not really, you know where the card is.

    If not happy with arrangement don't buy such a watch (especially if already worrying might have to 'release funds').
    That was the question wasn't it about this thread.

    To buy or not to buy.

    I mentioned releasing funds as a lot of people buying a Rolex look at as a way to invest/save capital and are not as savvy as people on this forum.

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    sunny yorkshire
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Not really, you know where the card is.

    If not happy with arrangement don't buy such a watch (especially if already worrying might have to 'release funds').
    Where is the card then? In the AD that the person bought the watch has to collect cannot tranfer warranty

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Where is the card then? In the AD that the person bought the watch has to collect cannot tranfer warranty

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Yes it's there.

    Don't like it don't buy the watch, don't worry.

  26. #26
    Master gregory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Riding the railroad like a hobo.....
    Posts
    2,775
    Blog Entries
    1
    Okay. I am being naive. Please be patient and explain this please.


    If you buy a watch... you should get the warranty card right?

    Is it not yours to then do what you want with it at your own price? Surely? YOU bought it. Profit all you want?


    Naive I know.

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    sunny yorkshire
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Yes it's there.

    Don't like it don't buy the watch, don't worry.
    "yes it's there"

    But it's not yours if buy the watch. I won't buy the watch anyway. It's not the point not interest in buying any watch off ebay to start with and not paying silly premiums with no card!!!

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Am I being naive to think that this topic has been done to death on half a dozen threads already?

  29. #29
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,179
    Blog Entries
    20
    Iím waiting for the warranty card itself to be sold on ebay. At a premium of course.

  30. #30
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    508
    If I may add in my comments. I sold a watch a few months ago where the warranty card was retained by the AD. Was open about this on my Chrono24 ad and the buyer was fine with the transaction. We went to an AD closer to them who verified the watch was genuine.
    Once I got the warranty card, it was simply posted out to him.
    While it was advertised, I still got plenty of interest in it

  31. #31
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    If I may add in my comments. I sold a watch a few months ago where the warranty card was retained by the AD. Was open about this on my Chrono24 ad and the buyer was fine with the transaction. We went to an AD closer to them who verified the watch was genuine.
    Once I got the warranty card, it was simply posted out to him.
    While it was advertised, I still got plenty of interest in it
    But thats surely because you are a gentleman who is good to his word.

    If a seller washes his hands after the transaction and in a year's time and the buyer contacts him for the cards and he simply doesn't respond, then what can they do? The new owners calls up the AD and say "I have the watch now and would like the cards" and the AD says - "Sorry the cards are for Mr X, the original owner and we can't release them to anyone else" then were would you be? Not getting a new set from Rolex. Not having a watch you can sell-on with box and papers. Thats the issue - you have to have faith that the seller will help you in the future which they are absolutely under no obligation to do except on SC where reputation matters.

  32. #32
    ďSorry the cards are for Mr X, the original owner and we can't release them to anyone else". Has this been documented as policy? I would have thought that the new owner who presented themself with the watch and a sales receipt from the original buyer wouldnít have a problem.

    Either way, this could be clarified before purchase.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    sunny yorkshire
    Posts
    3,076
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    ďSorry the cards are for Mr X, the original owner and we can't release them to anyone else". Has this been documented as policy? I would have thought that the new owner who presented themself with the watch and a sales receipt from the original buyer wouldnít have a problem.

    Either way, this could be clarified before purchase.

    R
    Why would they release the watch to a different name from who bought the watch?


    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Am I being naive to think that this topic has been done to death on half a dozen threads already?
    So why comment on this thread then?!

  35. #35
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    5,136
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Why would they release the watch to a different name from who bought the watch?


    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    My thoughts too - they withheld the warranty card to prevent the watch being sold on at a profit fuelling the grey market. If someone comes in asking for the warranty card having bought it, why would they release it? This defeats the object of what they are doing

  36. #36
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Sorry the cards are for Mr X, the original owner and we can't release them to anyone else". Has this been documented as policy? I would have thought that the new owner who presented themself with the watch and a sales receipt from the original buyer wouldn’t have a problem.

    Either way, this could be clarified before purchase.

    R
    I have no "dog in this fight" as someone who is not a Rolex owner but the retention of documents in this way is quite unique and from the comments everyone has given in previous threads the policy, such as it is, seems ill defined. There is certainly nothing to stop the AD retaining the cards and only releasing them to the person named on the cards I'd have thought. If the AD is in Portsmouth and the new owner in Wick, they aren't simply going to be able to pop in and prove they now own the watch. Without a written policy which Rolex or their ADs will probably be reluctant to give, I'm not sure how a buyer could ever ensure that they would be eligible to received the cards (or warranty cover) especially if the first buyer will not offer their help.
    Last edited by astonandy; 2nd May 2018 at 08:52. Reason: Add end of final sentence.

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,149
    Can't wait for the first eBay "Rolex Warranty Card" sales...

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    So why comment on this thread then?!
    Same reason everyone else does.

  39. #39
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,179
    Blog Entries
    20

    RSC accepts watches for service under warranty without warranty card

    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    My thoughts too - they withheld the warranty card to prevent the watch being sold on at a profit fuelling the grey market. If someone comes in asking for the warranty card having bought it, why would they release it? This defeats the object of what they are doing
    Because the warranty is against the watch (not the person who bought the watch).

    If if itís any consolation (and Iíve posted this before) I had bought a SD4K from Watchfinder and still under 5 year warranty with cards and went to Rolex St James without the warranty card (left at home btw).
    Rolex St James accepted with watch for some work done under warranty. They had their own records based on serial number to check if it was still under warranty. No problems.

    Yes this his subject has been done many times before. And usually degrades rapidly.

    Martyn

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Anyone know what happens if dealer retains warranty card and you take the watch to RSC or another AD for a repair of some sort.
    Anyone actually know the answer to this, in real terms if they wonít cover any warranty without the card
    its an issue if they will then not having the warranty card isnít really a problem, in the world of fakery these days not sure a piece of plastic proves the authenticity.

    Not an expert but would think if manufacturer gives a 5 year warranty they have to honour it
    whether one of their dealers decides to keep a bit of plastic or not.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Anyone actually know the answer to this, in real terms if they wonít cover any warranty without the card
    its an issue if they will then not having the warranty card isnít really a problem, in the world of fakery these days not sure a piece of plastic proves the authenticity.

    Not an expert but would think if manufacturer gives a 5 year warranty they have to honour it
    whether one of their dealers decides to keep a bit of plastic or not.
    Martyn just answered this, thanks

  42. #42
    Grand Master MartynJC (UK)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lagoa, Portugal
    Posts
    11,179
    Blog Entries
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Anyone actually know the answer to this, in real terms if they won’t cover any warranty without the card
    its an issue if they will then not having the warranty card isn’t really a problem, in the world of fakery these days not sure a piece of plastic proves the authenticity.

    Not an expert but would think if manufacturer gives a 5 year warranty they have to honour it
    whether one of their dealers decides to keep a bit of plastic or not.
    Sorry to be a bit rude. But did you read my post above? It was a real experience in real terms I really did walk into RSC and have my watch serviced without the card, under warranty.

    Ah. Posted crossed in the ether!! As you were. Martyn

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Sorry to be a bit rude. But did you read my post above? It was a real experience in real terms I really did walk into RSC and have my watch serviced without the card, under warranty.

    Ah. Posted crossed in the ether!! As you were. Martyn
    I got dragged away half way through typing mine, should have scrolled down before pressing submit

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    Why would they release the watch to a different name from who bought the watch?
    Perhaps because they were given reason to do so, one that gave them no concern over handing over the paperwork to the new owner?

    It's a piece of paper, one that wouldn't seem to unduly concern Rolex themselves in the event a watch under warranty requires attention. I really cannot envisage that, in the event I presented a watch for attention, the lack of that piece of paper would result in refusal to accept the watch by Rolex.

    R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

  45. #45
    Master sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    UK/Canada
    Posts
    4,678
    AD: "It is now our stated policy to retain warranty cards on the most sought-after Rolex watches to prevent people buying to sell at a profit."

    Mr. Jones: "Hello, I bought this Daytona from Mr. Smith for £15,000 one year ago. May I have the retained warrant card, please?"

    AD: "Certainly sir."

    That worked well, then.

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    4,024
    I have just written the website listing for an unworn GMT and find myself in the extraordinary position of asking an even greater premium than before, justifying it as follows:

    "Available today, UNWORN, in delivery stickers, with BOTH swing-tags and NO silly nonsense about the warranty card being withheld!"

    Flak expected, but don't shoot the messenger. This is what will happen.

    I cannot say I like the premium market, but clients want these watches and "vote with their wallets."

    The premium for the new GMT on Jubilee is going to be bullet-proof for a long time. How much will some people ask for the first examples? I predict well over £10k.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 2nd May 2018 at 12:01.

  47. #47
    Master gregory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Riding the railroad like a hobo.....
    Posts
    2,775
    Blog Entries
    1
    I actually don't care why there are doing this... to prevent a sell on at profit / grey market / whichever.

    Rolex go UP in value in general. So is this legal?

    It is like saying you can't buy a car and sell it a profit.

    AND... if you emigrate???
    Can you not have your card before you go??? What if you emigrated... needed the money in your new country to tide you over, wanted to sell your watch and the warranty card belongs elsewhere?



    Is this LEGAL? You buy it, you get the full package surely? Including the card? ON THE DAY?



    Am I still being super-naive. Pay a few grand for a watch... it's YOURS to whatever you want with it? No? Cards should be yours on the day?


    YOU own it!?


    Whether they HONOUR it is not what I am wanting to know. The warranty. Is it not illegal to retain your card on a watch? When they will release it on other brands?

  48. #48
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Chester and Merseyside, UK
    Posts
    4,024
    Can we put that notion to bed?

    It is not illegal if done the right way, as main agents increasingly do.

    What you might think you have some "right to" does not form the basis of your contract with the seller.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 2nd May 2018 at 11:58.

  49. #49
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,439
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    I actually don't care why there are doing this... to prevent a sell on at profit / grey market / whichever.

    Rolex go UP in value in general. So is this legal?

    It is like saying you can't buy a car and sell it a profit.

    AND... if you emigrate???
    Can you not have your card before you go??? What if you emigrated... needed the money in your new country to tide you over, wanted to sell your watch and the warranty card belongs elsewhere?



    Is this LEGAL? You buy it, you get the full package surely? Including the card? ON THE DAY?



    Am I still being super-naive. Pay a few grand for a watch... it's YOURS to whatever you want with it? No? Cards should be yours on the day?


    YOU own it!?


    Whether they HONOUR it is not what I am wanting to know. The warranty. Is it not illegal to retain your card on a watch? When they will release it on other brands?
    Yes it is

    No it is not (MB have done this in the past on desirable models, you could buy it, but had to sign an agreement that you would not sell it in xx years)

    I don't know, what if 'the meteor hits'

    see first comment

    NO, it is not. How many F times do we have to go over this. Warranty card retention (from some ADs) is a condition of sale. If you don't like that condition don't buy from that AD.

  50. #50
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North
    Posts
    17,514
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I have just written the website listing for an unworn GMT and find myself in the extraordinary position of asking an even greater premium than before, justifying it as follows: "...Available today, UNWORN, in delivery stickers with BOTH swing-tags AND no silly nonsense about the warranty card being withheld!"

    Flak expected, but don't shoot the messenger. This is what will happen.

    I cannot say I like the premium market, but clients want these watches and "vote with their wallets."

    The premium for the new GMT on Jubilee is going to be bullet-proof for a long time. How much will some people ask for the first examples? I predict well over £10k.
    "Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116500LN - 2018, Unworn, Box, booklets, Warranty card for collection in x months"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information