closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Withheld warranty card watch on eBay.

Hybrid View

Master

Withheld warranty card watch on eBay.

We always figured it would happen but here’s the first one I’ve spotted;

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-GMT-M...53.m1438.l2649

It’s not the cheapest Batman on the site so it might be difficult to judge if it still gets a lot of interest. I think a lot of people will watch the auction out of curiosity so the number of watchers might distort the actual number of serious buyers for the watch, not that that’s really indicative anyway. If it sells quickly, it will be back to the drawing board for the ADs.

Seen a few watches on eBay without the card. Even a bi metal sky Dweller since launch probably still on now lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Would anyone on here buy under those conditions.

It's one thing buying from a known forum member and waiting a few months for the card, but I wouldn't buy from a stranger on e-bay offering the same deal.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Would anyone on here buy under those conditions.

It's one thing buying from a known forum member and waiting a few months for the card, but I wouldn't buy from a stranger on e-bay offering the same deal.
    And at such a large premium.

For a few quid over list might be worth it but not almost £1500

I can't see any problem, a phone call to the 'dealer' prior to handing over the payment would be enough reassurance I would think. Or am I missing something?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I can't see any problem, a phone call to the 'dealer' prior to handing over the payment would be enough reassurance I would think. Or am I missing something?

R
    I can the person named on the card has to be the one collecting the card in 1/2 years is he going care then or possibly be still around etc...

^^^ That could be determined in the conversation prior to purchase.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Withheld warranty card watches are being sold through dealers already. It's preventing chuff all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    But Ralph, Assumimg you weren’t being sarcastic, the dealer is retaining the card in an effort to stop what this seller is doing. The dealer would get the right hump . The seller will have burned his bridges in that AD.

Craftsman
    Also what happens if you need to move it on to release the money.

That's going to be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawbreaker5000 View Post
    Also what happens if you need to move it on to release the money.

That's going to be fun.
    Do the same as eBay seller.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    But Ralph, Assumimg you weren’t being sarcastic, the dealer is retaining the card in an effort to stop what this seller is doing. The dealer would get the right hump . The seller will have burned his bridges in that AD.
    I'm certainly not being sarcastic. Ideally, the seller should get it sorted out with the dealer before-hand and get their agreement, but as a buyer you could still contact them and ask the question and if the answer is they won't release it then at least you know where you stand.

R

Craftsman
    No stickers either :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Not really box and papers is it?

Watch , box and the right to receive the papers sometime into the future..... hopefully.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

I think i would have to assume that no warranty card would be forthcoming as lots of things can happen e.g seller disappears or just can’t be bothered.

Therefore i would have to seriously consider paying over list for what isn’t and may not ever be a full set. Difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    I think i would have to assume that no warranty card would be forthcoming as lots of things can happen e.g seller disappears or just can’t be bothered.

Therefore i would have to seriously consider paying over list for what isn’t and may not ever be a full set. Difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I am saying too many things could wrong in 1/2 years where does that leave you ?
    Makes no sense to buy one without the card for a premium

Quote Originally Posted by bokbok View Post
    That's what I am saying too many things could wrong in 1/2 years where does that leave you ?
    Makes no sense to buy one without the card for a premium

The ADs policy is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The ADs policy is working.
    All good then

All good then

I think so.

What if the original owner dies, can their executor pick them (how many 'cards' are there anyway) up?

Anyone know what happens if dealer retains warranty card and you take the watch to RSC or another AD for a repair of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Anyone know what happens if dealer retains warranty card and you take the watch to RSC or another AD for a repair of some sort.
    Anyone actually know the answer to this, in real terms if they won’t cover any warranty without the card
    its an issue if they will then not having the warranty card isn’t really a problem, in the world of fakery these days not sure a piece of plastic proves the authenticity.

Not an expert but would think if manufacturer gives a 5 year warranty they have to honour it
    whether one of their dealers decides to keep a bit of plastic or not.

Anyone actually know the answer to this, in real terms if they won’t cover any warranty without the card
    its an issue if they will then not having the warranty card isn’t really a problem, in the world of fakery these days not sure a piece of plastic proves the authenticity.

Not an expert but would think if manufacturer gives a 5 year warranty they have to honour it
    Martyn just answered this, thanks

Blog Entries

Sorry to be a bit rude. But did you read my post above? It was a real experience in real terms I really did walk into RSC and have my watch serviced without the card, under warranty.

Ah. Posted crossed in the ether!! As you were. Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Sorry to be a bit rude. But did you read my post above? It was a real experience in real terms I really did walk into RSC and have my watch serviced without the card, under warranty.

Ah. Posted crossed in the ether!! As you were. Martyn
    I got dragged away half way through typing mine, should have scrolled down before pressing submit

Am I being naive to think that this topic has been done to death on half a dozen threads already?

Blog Entries
    I’m waiting for the warranty card itself to be sold on ebay. At a premium of course.

Craftsman
    If I may add in my comments. I sold a watch a few months ago where the warranty card was retained by the AD. Was open about this on my Chrono24 ad and the buyer was fine with the transaction. We went to an AD closer to them who verified the watch was genuine.
    Once I got the warranty card, it was simply posted out to him.
    While it was advertised, I still got plenty of interest in it

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilA View Post
    If I may add in my comments. I sold a watch a few months ago where the warranty card was retained by the AD. Was open about this on my Chrono24 ad and the buyer was fine with the transaction. We went to an AD closer to them who verified the watch was genuine.
    Once I got the warranty card, it was simply posted out to him.
    While it was advertised, I still got plenty of interest in it
    But thats surely because you are a gentleman who is good to his word.

If a seller washes his hands after the transaction and in a year's time and the buyer contacts him for the cards and he simply doesn't respond, then what can they do? The new owners calls up the AD and say "I have the watch now and would like the cards" and the AD says - "Sorry the cards are for Mr X, the original owner and we can't release them to anyone else" then were would you be? Not getting a new set from Rolex. Not having a watch you can sell-on with box and papers. Thats the issue - you have to have faith that the seller will help you in the future which they are absolutely under no obligation to do except on SC where reputation matters.

Sorry the cards are for Mr X, the original owner and we can't release them to anyone else". Has this been documented as policy? I would have thought that the new owner who presented themself with the watch and a sales receipt from the original buyer wouldn’t have a problem.

Either way, this could be clarified before purchase.

R

Am I being naive to think that this topic has been done to death on half a dozen threads already?
    So why comment on this thread then?!

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    So why comment on this thread then?!
    Same reason everyone else does.

I'm going to release my comment in six month's time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMint View Post
    I'm going to release my comment in six month's time.
    Well I'm withholding mine indefinitely!

Master
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2018-...h/112974397244

He says "Guarantee card will be forwarded on to buyer on may 2nd 2019"

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

What if he dies before then to put it bluntly ...... or leaves the country etc...... Anything could happen do think he will actually care by that date once he been paid lol. I would not purchase one of these without the card. 15k no card laughable!!
    Last edited by bokbok; 3rd May 2018 at 21:19.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

I can see the scammers / fakers adopting this line and not having to provide a card

Quite - feeble attempt to prevent on-sales, not really well thought out by dealers and claimed not to nor policy by Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I can see the scammers / fakers adopting this line and not having to provide a card
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Surely if they can fake the watch, box and everything else they can do the card.

Any potential buyer may well now contact the AD to confirm they have the card (though, of course not in sellers best interest).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Surely if they can fake the watch, box and everything else they can do the card.

Any potential buyer may well now contact the AD to confirm they have the card (though, of course not in sellers best interest).
    Of course but makes it a hell of a lot easier for them not to bother forging a card with unique serials and UV markings (or whatever it has)

I doubt ADs will want to take phonecalls to confirm flippers sales

Warranty card at AD1.

Need warranty work done.

Take the watch to AD2.

If card needed - AD2 rings AD1 to confirm.

Warranty work done.

Warranty card at AD1.

Need warranty work done.

Take the watch to AD2.

If card needed - AD2 rings AD1 to confirm.

Warranty work done.
    Who says this is correct ? Can anyone confirm this ? Seems folk having a lot of guess work from purchasing a watch without a card

Who says this is correct ? Can anyone confirm this ? Seems folk having a lot of guess work from purchasing a watch without a card

Have you bought/are you buying a watch?

If so ask the AD, otherwise does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    The only confirmation we have seen so far is going directly to Rolex St James. I would be surprised if ADs are that helpful of flexible
    If it becomes the norm to keep warranty cards think they will become flexible.

Craftsman
    Got forwarded this. One of their watches was on eBay this week with all stickers and a lovely store card advertisement.

"Laings as a company have now changed their policy regarding the sale of professional Rolex watches and we are now incorporating a contract that has to be signed by the customer agreeing to not resell the watch within 3 years and for us to keep your guarantee card for the first year. The reason we are having to do this is to ensure these watches are not going straight to the second hand market for sale at a higher than retail value. We also cannot offer interest free credit terms on the remaining balance."

Will stop nothing.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post
    Got forwarded this. One of their watches was on eBay this week with all stickers and a lovely store card advertisement.

"Laings as a company have now changed their policy regarding the sale of professional Rolex watches and we are now incorporating a contract that has to be signed by the customer agreeing to not resell the watch within 3 years and for us to keep your guarantee card for the first year. The reason we are having to do this is to ensure these watches are not going straight to the second hand market for sale at a higher than retail value. We also cannot offer interest free credit terms on the remaining balance."

Lol. Do you go to jail if you flip before 3 years

Master
    You did read all the small print, yes?

Master
    The only confirmation we have seen so far is going directly to Rolex St James. I would be surprised if ADs are that helpful of flexible

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    I’ve taken a watch to be regulated at St James, it was under warranty, they didn’t ask for the card and I didn’t have it.

I handed the watch over, they gave me a drink, I sat in their very nice lobby for a short while, they handed back my watch.

You don’t need to hand over the card for warranty work. None that I’ve ever needed. Not at an AD, that I’ve ever used, and not at St James.

The card, to me, serves little more purpose than to be a ‘full set’ and to lend a mite more credibility to a seller.

That said, I wouldn’t buy from some randomer on the internet if they didn’t have it. It’s too much money and the lack of a card has traditionally been a reliable indicator of risk. So maybe the process is having the desired effect.

It does seem crap to hold the cards, but if I was buying I wouldn’t care and I’d suggest the only people who would are flippers and people with enough time on their hands to care about things that don’t matter. And more power to them, we should all be so lucky to have so much time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post

I wonder how they would check whether I have sold my watch... do I have to come in every couple of weks for them to check? Or do they run sting operations with fake buyers? And all for what exactly? After all, they have no loss whatsoever...