closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacheron Constantin Service - Overseas

Craftsman

Vacheron Constantin Service - Overseas

Hello everyone,

I wanted to put on my 2 1/2y old VC Overseas (Time and date) but to my surprise couldn't switch the date with the quick date change mode.

I brought the watch to the store. Watchmaker looked at it, kept it for assessment. The store suggested £710 service. I told them that I first want to know what the issue is before servicing an only 2 1/2y old watch. Especially since I only want the date fixed. The date does move when turning 24h. It is only the quick date mode that doesn't work.

Is it too much to ask that they fix my date issue as a gesture of good will since the watch is only 6m past warranty period?

Let's see what the assessment will come back with...TBC

Given their massive PR push and tie-ins with Hodinkee etc, I would imagine they’ll want to be seen as relatively good on their customer service... will be keen to find out how you get it resolved.

Master
    Did you try using the quickset when the hour hand was close to 12?

I've noticed that you need to have the hour hand at somewhere between 2 and 10 on a number of VC's to reset the date.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Did you try using the quickset when the hour hand was close to 12?

I've noticed that you need to have the hour hand at somewhere between 2 and 10 on a number of VC's to reset the date.
    Good point! I don't know actually.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I also have one of these, its based on a JLC 889 movement. If you change the date between 6pm and 2am you run the risk of damaging the pawl that advances the date. If you have done that then the quickset date wont work, as the pawl may have snapped off.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    I also have one of these, its based on a JLC 889 movement. If you change the date between 6pm and 2am you run the risk of damaging the pawl that advances the date. If you have done that then the quickset date wont work, as the pawl may have snapped off.
    I see. I thought the movement is Piguet. Interesting. I much do you think it will cost to fix this?

Craftsman
    Also - Why doesn't VC tell me in store that this is an issue with this movement? Only thing they say is you need to service it...Great UX.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFalconer View Post
    I see. I thought the movement is Piguet. Interesting. I much do you think it will cost to fix this?
    I have a gen 2 overseas which is jlc 889 based - do you have the same? http://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/qu...topics/3195674
    I would think it's going to be around £1k as they will charge for the damaged part, if that is the issue.

The staff in the stores are unlikely to know this is an issue with these movements. Although it will tell you in the instruction manual that you shouldn't do it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have a gen 2 overseas which is jlc 889 based - do you have the same? http://forums.watchuseek.com/f381/qu...topics/3195674
    I would think it's going to be around £1k as they will charge for the damaged part, if that is the issue.

The staff in the stores are unlikely to know this is an issue with these movements. Although it will tell you in the instruction manual that you shouldn't do it.

I cant see photos in your link but mine is the one that is blue and limited I think it was. I couldnt find a manual in my box.

Pretty shoddy if bought new from VC that they won't do it gratis. That's not what is to be expected from an item of this value that's that young.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Are you sure it's the JleC 889 Base ? I would have thought it's FP1150 , which has the quick change button. But I could be wrong !
    The spring which keeps the date wheel in place can detach through shock or by pressing it too quickly.

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

I am stupid. Manual is on USB stick on the box of course.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    Are you sure it's the JleC 889 Base ? I would have thought it's FP1150 , which has the quick change button. But I could be wrong !
    The spring which keeps the date wheel in place can detach through shock or by pressing it too quickly.

I hardly wore the watch and I treat all my watches with care. How can this just happen?

Blog Entries
    Opportunity here for them to show goodwill commensurate with the brand. Some dozeball suggesting a £710 service would put all things right is guilty of lazy brain dead thinking and imho that individual should offer his talents elsewhere, perhaps as a trainee traffic warden which is a job far removed from contact with quality timepieces!

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I hardly wore the watch and I treat all my watches with care. How can this just happen?
    I've no idea !

Master
    Blog Entries

I have never opened the watch to check but according to various forums it is an 889

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=2199985&rid=0

Banned
    I have never opened the watch to check but according to various forums it is an 889

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=2199985&rid=0

OK. I have serviced dozens of 889's. The JleC Master Control and used by many other brands.
    Never seen one with a date change push-pin. The date advance mechanism is totally different.

Master
    The VCO 47040 has a VC1126 movement, which is a JLC 889 base ebauche.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Pretty shoddy if bought new from VC that they won't do it gratis. That's not what is to be expected from an item of this value that's that young.
    The warranty is two years, but a goodwill might be extended if he contacts Richemont directly to explain.
    As the date changes fine when setting the time, and presumably when running (easy to confirm), then I’d be inclined to think the problem lies in the keyless works section.

Banned
    If it has a jump hour it's an 889.
    If a push piece to advance the date it's 5100.

Craftsman
    I'll keep you posted. Haven't heard anything yet. They kept it for assessment.

Master
    Good luck getting it sorted George - can we see a picture?

How did you fare with the Patek fella?

Master
    Can't help thinking this is why people buy a Rolex. They don't break very easily. And have a five-year guarantee.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Good luck getting it sorted George - can we see a picture?

How did you fare with the Patek fella?
    Thanks. Lets see. Pictures of the VC? It's probaly in the safe in the store right now.

My apologies for not updating the other thread. I am still waiting for my 5167a. Its bloody hard to get since last summer. Lets see.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Can't help thinking this is why people buy a Rolex. They don't break very easily. And have a five-year guarantee.
    Totally agree.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The Rolex feels bombproof and my experience of the customer service has been absolutely first class.

But the Vacheron just feels so much more "special".

Master
    If it has a jump hour it's an 889.
    If a push piece to advance the date it's 5100.
    The 4500V was launched at the 2016 SIHH, which is in January.
    Not sure when the first production pieces went on sale, but given the OP’s stating his is 30 months old, I’d say we’re definitely talking about the 2nd Gen, which is the 47040.
    Dead easy to tell, the date is at 4:30 and it has 4 Arabic numerals on the dial, not to mention guilloche if white or black, and solid case back with raised relief of the ship.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    The 4500V was launched at the 2016 SIHH, which is in January.
    Not sure when the first production pieces went on sale, but given the OP’s stating his is 30 months old, I’d say we’re definitely talking about the 2nd Gen, which is the 47040.
    Dead easy to tell, the date is at 4:30 and it has 4 Arabic numerals on the dial, not to mention guilloche if white or black, and solid case back with raised relief of the ship.
    Thanks. Photo ?

Brendan

Craftsman
    I have the second generation

Banned
    I have the second generation
    Thanks. I prefer the 2nd generation. This movement is in my opinion equivalent to the ETA 7750 in terms of good design and timekeeping.

Brendan

Craftsman
    I have received a first reply from the store, after their 'assessment' of my watch. I am rather dissapointed by the email, not only because of the bad grammar. They basically want me to pay £710 for a full service.

Please see below:

I hope this email finds you well and thank you for leaving your watch with us.
    Our watchmaker has diagnoses your timepiece and has noticed the movement has a poor lubrification, this affect the date from jumping with the crown,
    We are recommending a complete service .
    Please find herewith our estimate, detailing the necessary and/or optional intervention and the associated charges, for your consideration.
    The last 2 pages need to be ticked and signed and send back to me via email or post.
    I look forward to receiving your written response and remain at your disposal, should you have any queries.

Best regards

Banned
    Is that £710.00 plus VAT ?
    I would happily look at it for you but I'm away until end of May.

Brendan

Craftsman
    The warranty is two years, but a goodwill might be extended if he contacts Richemont directly to explain.
    As the date changes fine when setting the time, and presumably when running (easy to confirm), then I’d be inclined to think the problem lies in the keyless works section.
    How would I be able to contact Richemont directly regarding this matter?
    Last edited by GeorgeFalconer; 4th May 2018 at 20:32.

Master
    Our watchmaker has diagnoses your timepiece and has noticed the movement has a poor lubrification, this affect the date from jumping with the crown,
    We are recommending a complete service .
    Either they don't know how to diagnose a broken date mechanism, or their watches are poorly lubed from the factory and require service within three years of ownership. In either case, this confirms my prior that VC isn't a brand that I should ever consider.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    Either they don't know how to diagnose a broken date mechanism, or their watches are poorly lubed from the factory and require service within three years of ownership. In either case, this confirms my prior that VC isn't a brand that I should ever consider.
    I hate to add to this thread but as far as I remember, the calendar jump mechanism here is not lubricated but runs dry for a quick firm advance !

Brendan

Master
    I would I be able to contact Richemont directly regarding this matter?
    Of course you can.
    Look for the Concierge contact info, and you should find it.
    Explain to them the situation and let them know how you feel about it, etc.
    Bear in mind that our Brendan here is a former Richemont watchmaker (JLC no less), so should’ve have much trouble in handling an 889 caliber.
    Enquire with him the likely cost, and then if you can’t obtain a goodwill from VC, then you can decide which price to pay, etc.

Craftsman
    Reply #2:

Thank you for your message

I understand your expectations, the problem you have raised (date not jumping) is related to the poor lubrication, indeed the oils are dry due to the normal use therefore we recommend a Complete service to all our timepiece every 3 years.
    At Vacheron Constantin we do not repair a ‘specific problem’, our high standards oblige us to look after the all watch (at least the full movement), in your particular case a dismantlement, lubrication and cleaning of the movement will solve the date issue but also will maintain your timepiece for a good functioning.

The good news is I have exceptionally requested to offer the complete service under warranty. I am awaiting confirmation and if you agree we will proceed with the work.

Have a good weekend.

Banned
    Reply #2:

Thank you for your message

I understand your expectations, the problem you have raised (date not jumping) is related to the poor lubrication, indeed the oils are dry due to the normal use therefore we recommend a Complete service to all our timepiece every 3 years.
    At Vacheron Constantin we do not repair a ‘specific problem’, our high standards oblige us to look after the all watch (at least the full movement), in your particular case a dismantlement, lubrication and cleaning of the movement will solve the date issue but also will maintain your timepiece for a good functioning.

The good news is I have exceptionally requested to offer the complete service under warranty. I am awaiting confirmation and if you agree we will proceed with the work.

Have a good weekend.
    Yeeehaaa !!
    That's what we want to hear !

Brendan

Master
    we recommend a Complete service to all our timepiece every 3 years.
    Unless it holds great sentimental value, I'd get it fixed and sell it. That's totally unacceptable in 2018.

Banned
    Being a troublemaker I would check the rate and amplitude before and after the 'service' !

Brendan

Craftsman
    Unless it holds great sentimental value, I'd get it fixed and sell it. That's totally unacceptable in 2018.
    Yes it was a gift and I would like to keep it in my collection forever. But I think I will now never consider VC for my collection again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes it was a gift and I would like to keep it in my collection forever. But I think I will now never consider VC for my collection again.
    Haven't they offered a free service or did i read that incorrectly?

Haven't they offered a free service or did i read that incorrectly?

Yes they have. But how can you verify it is indeed being done?
    By checking amplitude and rate before and after...

Master
    At a certain point, levels of trust drop so low that it's all over. But I'd probably give VC another chance, because a free service is a decent gesture. And VC aren't alone in suggesting short service intervals...
    I doubt VC are any worse than the other 'high end' Swiss brands. Certainly there have been some tales of 'curious' servicing featuring the likes of Patek.

Craftsman
    I'm surprised VC gave you such a hard time with this as I've found the concierge service to be 1st class when dealing with them.

Regarding durability I go running& swimming at least 4 times a week with my Gen 2 Overseas Deep Stream (non chrono)& have had no issues with it.

Once it returns from being serviced give it another chance, the watch really is in a different class to the rolex's you'll see on every other persons wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    Regarding durability I go running& swimming at least 4 times a week with my Gen 2 Overseas Deep Stream (non chrono)& have had no issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Amazed that someone would go running in an expensive watch!

Anyone who runs will end up falling occasionally, that's a truism, it's a fact of life, I ran for many years and I hit the ground a few times. Falling's bad enough but I`d hate to have to worry about damaging a nice watch too.

Absolutely crazy IMO, wear a cheap Casio to run in.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Amazed that someone would go running in an expensive watch!
    I don't know about anyone else, but my wrists well A LOT when I exercise. I'd hate to wear a bracelet watch.

Craftsman
    Yes and drop me a message when you do! :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    Yes and drop me a message when you do! :)
    Definitely. He could wear it another 30 months, then let you buy it and deal with the service.

A £700 service ever three years, gosh that is a lack of confidence in your movement, not to mention expensive ownership.