closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vacheron Constantin Service - Overseas

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    A £700 service ever three years, gosh that is a lack of confidence in your movement, not to mention expensive ownership.
    Is it not just a way of making money, rather than a lack of confidence in the movement?

Grand Master
    Another example of the arrogant attitude that exists in the Swiss watch industry. I see no reason why the dial side of the movement can`t be stripped to correct the fault, the rest of the movement could be left alone and the cost of repair could be minimised. Given the age of the watch there's a strong case for having it fixed on a goodwill basis unless it can clearly be demonstrated that the owner's caused the problem (unlikely).

I fail to see why a watch at this age needs fully servicing, it doesn`t and they know that. Arrogance, typical Swiss.

Paul

This has been a fascinating thread so far.

As I imagine many other members do, I occasionally look at few of my watches (perhaps the ancestral BR123, or the more recently acquired SBGX009), and think about whether it might be worth moving to a “trinity” watch of sinilar type. And yet: the one ticks as the day it was purchased, when pussy was a kitten, and t’other purports to need its first service sometime in the year of our Lord 2059....

This is certainly not to knock VC - indeed I continue to hold their watches in the highest of regard - but, a three year service? and functional failure prior to that meagre milestone? It’s not the purchase price that I can’t stretch to, it’s the faith in the product.

Good luck with this OP, and I do hope they come good on the service for you.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Another example of the arrogant attitude that exists in the Swiss watch industry. I see no reason why the dial side of the movement can`t be stripped to correct the fault, the rest of the movement could be left alone and the cost of repair could be minimised. Given the age of the watch there's a strong case for having it fixed on a goodwill basis unless it can clearly be demonstrated that the owner's caused the problem (unlikely).

I fail to see why a watch at this age needs fully servicing, it doesn`t and they know that. Arrogance, typical Swiss.

Paul
    They're extending the warranty to repair and service free of charge.
    Maybe George should stop them on the back of your sage advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    A £700 service ever three years, gosh that is a lack of confidence in your movement, not to mention expensive ownership.
    i would not spend that kind of money on servicing on a regular basis.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post

This is certainly not to knock VC - indeed I continue to hold their watches in the highest of regard - but, a three year service? and functional failure prior to that meagre milestone? It’s not the purchase price that I can’t stretch to, it’s the faith in the product.
    There are plenty of us that are very satisfied VC owners and we don't get them serviced every 3 years as it isn't necessary.

Don't let a single incident (which VC have ultimately taken responsibility for) weigh so heavily. I could start a thread to say the date failed on my Rolex SD and I had to pay a full service cost to get it fixed. These things can happen to any company, but ONE event is hardly grounds to take a decision on.

Master
    I agree with that. A VC is likely to need a similar standard of care as any other high- end Swiss brand. Probably around the five to seven year mark on average. There is a myth that Rolex suggest ten year intervals, but it is a myth (try to find such a suggestion in their own literature).
    Any brand can have faults, I've had some with Rolex, but you can't take it as a general thing. I'd take the free service, stop worrying and just enjoy the watch.
    NB: the air-conditioning on my year-old car has failed three times. I still like the car.

Grand Master
    I’m struggling to believe the explanation on this; I don’t believe the problem is related to oil drying up.

If the watch gets sorted for free that’s a good outcome, but it would be even better if they didn’t come up with bullshit responses. If these movements routinely require attention every 3 years there’s something wrong.

Everyone who owns a mechanical watch accepts that it’ll need maintaining, that’s the nature of the beast, but a date setting problem after a couple of years is a fault, it’s got nothing to do with the expected cycle of maintainence. It would be better if the manufacturers and the ADs would simply hold up their hands and admit that a watch has developed a fault. Trying to imply that it’s ‘normal’ owing to degradation of the lubrication is an insult to the customer, but it’s all part of the smoke and mirrors strategy. The majority of owners have little understanding of how their watch works and the ADs/manufacturers prey on this.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 7th May 2018 at 09:46.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’m struggling to believe the explanation on this; I don’t believe the problem is related to oil drying up.

If the watch gets sorted for free that’s a good outcome, but it would be even better if they didn’t come up with bullshit responses. If these movements routinely require attention every 3 years there’s something wrong.

Everyone who owns a mechanical watch accepts that it’ll need maintaining, that’s the nature of the beast, but a date setting problem after a couple of years is a fault, it’s got nothing to do with the expected cycle of maintainence. It would be better if the manufacturers and the ADs would simply hold up their hands and admit that a watch has developed a fault. Trying to imply that it’s ‘normal’ owing to degradation of the lubrication is an insult to the customer, but it’s all part of the smoke and mirrors strategy. The majority of owners have little understanding of how their watch works and the ADs/manufacturers prey on this.

Paul
    I totally agree with you and I love my oberseas and I would also pay for the required service when needed but just not after 2 1/2 year and maybe wearing the watch 50 times tops.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeFalconer View Post
    I totally agree with you and I love my oberseas and I would also pay for the required service when needed but just not after 2 1/2 year and maybe wearing the watch 50 times tops.
    Unfortunately it seems to be a constant response from most if not all Swiss mid and upward brands.
    We don’t fix individual issues outside of warranty and they all seem to require a full service to resolve any out of warranty faults. So it seems to me that it’s irrelevant what brand developed the fault as the response would be largely the same be it Rolex, AP, ALS or PP.

The fact VC have offered a service to resolve the issue foc as a goodwill gesture would show to me they stand behind their products. Complaining about short warranty periods or service only repairs is simply ‘shouting into the wind’.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    There is a myth that Rolex suggest ten year intervals, but it is a myth (try to find such a suggestion in their own literature).
    It's not a myth. Rolex posted a note to their AD network saying that average service intervals have reached 10 years. Nothing more, or less. They didn't suggest or refute this practice, though pointing it out and not saying "don't do this" is a form a tacit consent for a risk averse brand like Rolex.

Sadly my copy of the note was eaten by photobucket.

Apprentice
    Service every 3 years is totally unacceptable.
    I also believe that VC should offer a longer warranty on all of their products .
    2 year is very short especially compared to Rolex at 5 and Omega at 4 years.
    Even Tissot offers 3 year warranty on some of their watches.

2 year doesn't cut it anymore in my view.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    It's not a myth. Rolex posted a note to their AD network saying that average service intervals have reached 10 years. Nothing more, or less. They didn't suggest or refute this practice, though pointing it out and not saying "don't do this" is a form a tacit consent for a risk averse brand like Rolex.

Sadly my copy of the note was eaten by photobucket.
    You're just confirming what I said, which was based on reading the original service letter to ADs. If Rolex wanted to propose a ten-year service period, they would have done so. The company will simply not be pinned-down to specific time scales. Presumably because of potential legal consequences.
    For all I know, some people may want their Rolex serviced every three years. Rolex won't object. I think somewhere between five and seven years is probably sensible enough.
    Last edited by paskinner; 7th May 2018 at 22:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue75 View Post
    Service every 3 years is totally unacceptable.
    From the Grand Seiko manual for their 9S85 movement: "Periodic inspection and adjustment by disassembly and cleaning (overhaul) is recommended approximately once every 3 to 4 years"

Any VC movement is going to be considerably more delicate than that, and yet the recommended service interval is only slightly more frequent.

Grand Master
    A lot of muddled thinking on this thread.

Journeyman
    I have used an excellent independant watchshop over the years. They have completed works for me that WoS and the ilk said they simply couldn't do... Not sure i would go to anyone else.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by CJQC View Post
    I have used an excellent independant watchshop over the years. They have completed works for me that WoS and the ilk said they simply couldn't do... Not sure i would go to anyone else.
    Thanks for a thumbs up for the indies!
    It's impossible to generalise about service intervals. For example a 1st WW trench watch being neither water nor dustproof would need a service every 6 months or so.
    Whereas a Rolex Oyster with deep oil reserve jewels may well survive for 5 years or more, if not worn roughly. Rolex cap jewel the escape wheels for example which preserves the oil for longer, provided it was correctly lubricated in the first place.
    A Frédéric Piguet with mostly small jewels and therefore little oil reserve may well need servicing every three years if not sooner.
    My rule of thumb for a service review is when the watch starts to vary in rate or has had a clunk.
    If used for diving then perhaps the seals at least should be checked annually.
    Modern synthetic oils are pretty reliable although not perfect. But the more oil present should extend the service interval somewhat.

Brendan
    Last edited by Webwatchmaker; 8th May 2018 at 16:21.

Craftsman
    Little update:

They sent off my watch apparently 2 weeks ago or so without letting me know via email or phone. It will take around 8 weeks. I told them I want in writing that they do not polish clasp or anything else and really just fix that bloody date. I will tell them my opinion when I pick up the watch later in the summer.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Little update:

They sent off my watch apparently 2 weeks ago or so without letting me know via email or phone. It will take around 8 weeks. I told them I want in writing that they do not polish clasp or anything else and really just fix that bloody date. I will tell them my opinion when I pick up the watch later in the summer.
    8 weeks ? They're taking the Michael !
    And if it isn't right when it gets back to you ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Most recent email response to the question that I would like to have a written confirmation and information if and where it was sent to. Please see below:

"The timepiece has not been sent to Geneva but to our local repair centre.
    On your last visit you have signed the receipt which mention the possibility of sending the timepiece for repair if required."

I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A VC AGAIN IN MY LIFE.

Master
    Surprised? Wonder why so many people return to Rolex?

Banned
    Most recent email response to the question that I would like to have a written confirmation and information if and where it was sent to. Please see below:

"The timepiece has not been sent to Geneva but to our local repair centre.
    On your last visit you have signed the receipt which mention the possibility of sending the timepiece for repair if required."

I WILL NEVER PURCHASE A VC AGAIN IN MY LIFE.
    You should phone VC in CH and tell them exactly how you feel and the responses on this very popular watch forum.
    I would do that asap !

Master
    Blog Entries
    From what I can make out, you bought a watch which developed an issue after the warranty expired. VC offer to fix it at no charge, they send it to be repaired to their uk service centre. It takes a while but watches always do. I'm failing to see the issue here. Do we think Rolex would be doing better, their service times are similar.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    From what I can make out, you bought a watch which developed an issue after the warranty expired. VC offer to fix it at no charge, they send it to be repaired to their uk service centre. It takes a while but watches always do. I'm failing to see the issue here. Do we think Rolex would be doing better, their service times are similar.

You're right. I forgot it was technically out of warranty.
    In which case it's very good of them to fix it gratis.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post

How many people here believe that the 'holy trinity' make watches as reliable as a Rolex?

Master
    Blog Entries
    How many people here believe that the 'holy trinity' make watches as reliable as a Rolex?
    I genuinely don't buy watches on the basis of reliability, although clearly I do expect a degree of accuracy and reliability. If I want a reliable watch I have a gshock never lets me down. Aside from that I will always buy what I enjoy, with watches its mainly down to an emotional decision.

Craftsman
    I will pick my watch up this week, lets see what they have to say to me. Probably nothing.

Craftsman
    I will pick my watch up this week, lets see what they have to say to me. Probably nothing.
    Will be interesting to see what they say.

I dropped mine in earlier this week as I lost the screw on the half maltese cross so cant fasten the strap. Not sure how it came lose seeing as it screws in, but I presume I pulled out when going to shower in the business lounge after a 13h flight.

Should be back in to pick it up next week hopefully.

Master
    Or maybe ‘shouldn’t you be at school young man?’

Master
    Surprised? Wonder why so many people return to Rolex?
    How can one return to Rolex (or indeed go to them in the first place) when you can't actually buy one new?

Craftsman
    All good guys. School was great.

Banned
    I'd be tempted to ask for one of their nice wallets !

Master
    Would you care to expand on that for the benefit of all the VC bashers in this thread......

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Would you care to expand on that for the benefit of all the VC bashers in this thread......
    As I said. It was a good day as Ice Cube used to say once. I wasn’t bullied. I ate my fruit and I brought home very good grades.

Banned
    As I said. It was a good day as Ice Cube used to say once. I wasn’t bullied. I ate my fruit and I brought home very good grades.
    Nice one GF !

Craftsman
    Serious update:

I picked up my marvellous watch yesterday. They sent it to their service centre in the UK. They only send complications and 'difficult problems' to Geneva apparently. The guy couldn't really explain anything except 'oil issue' but they did give me 2 years extended warranty. Not sure if I would ever go back to VC.

PS I tried on some of their interesting vintage pieces that are being shipped off to Japan in a weeks time.

Banned
    Excellent result from one of the more arrogant Swiss watch manufacturers !